Worried Supporters.

141 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worried Supporters.

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:48

We need to see gradual improvement over a period of time and transfer windows. But sometimes you end up taking a step back first before you can go forward. Pardew lead us to 4th in 2003 and then Coppell took over and we finished 9th before rising to 7th and then 1st in 2006.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 13:51

Just because clubs are getting a bit trigger happy. It doesn't mean it's right. Newcastle would be a lot better off right now if their fans didn't hound Pardew out of the club.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 13:52

And that [Coppell taking over from Pardew] was more than 10 years ago.

Unfortunately a lot has changed in that decade and the life expectancy of a manager in the Champsionship is one of those things. I'd love for us to build steadily (whilst we're progressing, or dipping statistically from a very good season - which Pardew's play off loss was) but the point was that in the reality of todays world it's unlikely a manager of RFC who just about steers us clear of relegation is going to get 3 years to build.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 14:05

Hoop Blah And that [Coppell taking over from Pardew] was more than 10 years ago.

Unfortunately a lot has changed in that decade and the life expectancy of a manager in the Champsionship is one of those things. I'd love for us to build steadily (whilst we're progressing, or dipping statistically from a very good season - which Pardew's play off loss was) but the point was that in the reality of todays world it's unlikely a manager of RFC who just about steers us clear of relegation is going to get 3 years to build.

Maybe that is the reality of modern day football. But, still, it doesn't make a great deal of sense. A new manager could come in, change everything again and we take 3 or 4 steps backwards and no steps forwards.

Since McDermott was sacked, we have only been going backwards with this short sighted nonsense.

McDermott is a manager that takes us places. 1 League title, 3 cup quarter finals and a play off final. He has a proven track record of being able to make forward steps. For me, it means we should give him time.

There is no logic or substance in the arguments of those that want McDermott out. They want him out because they think you must never go back or because they think he is tactically inept or not creative. The substance is 1 title, 3 cup quarter finals and 1 play off final. Do you measure a man on substance and real achievements or does he get measured because people just think he is no good for no genuine reason whatsoever?

People didn't want him because they didn't like his football. He won promotion to the Premier League with a rubbish team. That makes him an absolute legend. He is a genius! Of course we were never going to stay up with those players. They were no where near good enough.

Which division is Cummings playing in this year? Where is Kebe now? How many games is Le Fondre getting? Or Karacan? Or Federici? How many starts has Pearce made at Derby? A manager who can gel average players into a title winning team is a brilliant manager.

Let's wait and see what he will do next season, but Brian has a lot of credits in my emotional bank account. He is loaded.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 14:44

Ian Royal I'm loving Top Flight's view that Al-Habsi iand midfield are at fault for all Cooper's errors, despite Al-Habsi regulatrly pulling Cooper's arse out the fire.

And bases this on not claiming a loose ball he couldn't see due to the sun, following a poor individual mistake from Cooper heading it straight up rather than away. This is despite us not conceding, but the mistakes Cooper makes where Al-Habsi saves him aren't worthy of note.

Al-Habsi had a shaky start, but hasnt actually cost us many goals and has clearly been one of the best 5 performers even if you disagree on PotS. Cooper absolutely hasn't.

If he can nail his reading of the game so he doesn't have to adjust his giraffe legs on the fly he should be a clear asset.

Or if we defend in a much better organised fashion with midfielders staying tight with defenders and closing out the space between defense and midfield then Cooper will be part of a mean unit that doesn't take any prisoners. Then Preston won't find the space to play through us.

We definitely need a better goalkeeper though. We won't win any titles with the number of mistakes that Al Habsi makes every week.

He won player of the season based on one good performance against Palace in the FA Cup. That's all it took to win the player of the season prize this year. The rest of the time he has been a complete liability.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 May 2016 14:46

Top Flight Just because clubs are getting a bit trigger happy. It doesn't mean it's right. Newcastle would be a lot better off right now if their fans didn't hound Pardew out of the club.

Perhaps if it was your own £100m invested in the club you wouldn't be so chirpy nor would you sit back and watch abject performances and crowds fall ...

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 May 2016 14:50

Top Flight
Ian Royal I'm loving Top Flight's view that Al-Habsi iand midfield are at fault for all Cooper's errors, despite Al-Habsi regulatrly pulling Cooper's arse out the fire.

And bases this on not claiming a loose ball he couldn't see due to the sun, following a poor individual mistake from Cooper heading it straight up rather than away. This is despite us not conceding, but the mistakes Cooper makes where Al-Habsi saves him aren't worthy of note.

Al-Habsi had a shaky start, but hasnt actually cost us many goals and has clearly been one of the best 5 performers even if you disagree on PotS. Cooper absolutely hasn't.

If he can nail his reading of the game so he doesn't have to adjust his giraffe legs on the fly he should be a clear asset.

Or if we defend in a much better organised fashion with midfielders staying tight with defenders and closing out the space between defense and midfield then Cooper will be part of a mean unit that doesn't take any prisoners. Then Preston won't find the space to play through us.

We definitely need a better goalkeeper though. We won't win any titles with the number of mistakes that Al Habsi makes every week.

He won player of the season based on one good performance against Palace in the FA Cup. That's all it took to win the player of the season prize this year. The rest of the time he has been a complete liability.

You need to go to more games then ! He was prone for a spell under SC but has improved massively. He has kept us in games at times in 2016 with some fine performances, even if we did eventually lose, he gave us a chance ..

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 14:52

Longhorn1970
Top Flight Just because clubs are getting a bit trigger happy. It doesn't mean it's right. Newcastle would be a lot better off right now if their fans didn't hound Pardew out of the club.

Perhaps if it was your own £100m invested in the club you wouldn't be so chirpy nor would you sit back and watch abject performances and crowds fall ...

I guess this is where human emotion takes over from logic and reason. Emotion pushes you towards the wrong decisions.

If you make decisions based on logic and reason then it is clear that McDermott is the right manager for Reading FC at the moment based on following certain rules, principles and facts.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 15:00

Longhorn1970
Top Flight

You need to go to more games then ! He was prone for a spell under SC but has improved massively. He has kept us in games at times in 2016 with some fine performances, even if we did eventually lose, he gave us a chance ..

I've been to all the home games and a lot of away games as well.

Al Habsi is a pussy cat goalkeeper. Spectacular on the goal line with cat like reflexes but a complete pussy with no bravery whatsoever. He is indecisive and costs us goals that end up getting blamed on Cooper or McShane when Al Habsi should have come off his line and dealt with it. Just look at Beckfords goal for Preston on Saturday. Why did Al Habsi not come and take the ball? Hahnemann would have done. The pussy stayed on his line. He is indecisive and has poor judgement. How many times have you seen him come and take a corner? Or dive at someone's feet? The answer is NEVER.

He should have come off his line and dealt with that ball over the top from Hull City which resulted in their opening goal as well a few weeks back. Instead Cooper got blamed for that one. And you must have seen the clip at QPR. He even allows Polter a free header just 3 yards out. Nobody gets a free header just 3 yards out. NOBODY. Unless of course the Pussycat is keeping your goal.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 May 2016 18:01

Now I feel a little better at letting his contract expire on Football Manager and going with Jonathan Bond.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2016 18:10

Top Flight

There aren't enough :| 's in the world there is clearly no point talking to you.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 19:13

Sorry Ian Royal. You have put me in my place. I shouldn't question your superior footballing knowledge.

I will agree with you from now onwards on all points that you make. You are quite right on all matters RFC related.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 19:16

Ian Royal
Vision
Lower West
Took Shorey time to adapt after his transfer from Orient. Constantly caught out of position. More games Cooper plays. The quicker he'll develop.

Also much like Shane Long he's not been out on loan so we're seeing the raw mistakes that inexperienced players make happen with us.

I'm not sure he's quite got what it takes to make it at top Championship level but he does have a lot of assets which suggest he could.

If his basic errors are simply inexperience then he's worth perseverance and will come good for us , but if it's a basic weakness in his mental character and overall game then we'll have to find out the hard way.

I worry that it's his physique.. he's just rather gangly and whilst that works for some players (Crouch) I think it makes him a bit awkward and uncoordinated at times.

Loads of time to get better, but I don't want him automatic first choice next season as he is at the moment.

+1

Yes you are right Ian.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 May 2016 20:35

Top Flight

Sorry Dave but he's won player of the month on three occasions this season. so clearly not based on one good performance.
Last edited by sandman on 03 May 2016 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 May 2016 20:44

West Stand Man
Royal With Cheese Without getting all Snowball here - take away that very small purple patch at the start of the season and we'd have really been in the poo.

Conversely, without the shit period that followed the purple patch we'd be champions.

TBF the shit period was considerably longer than the purple patch.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 20:49

sandman
Top Flight

Sorry Dave but he's won player of the month on three occasions this season, so clearly not based on one good performance.

I bow to your superior knowledge Rodney. Of course, you and Ian Royal are right. As always. Case closed. Al Habsi is the best.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 May 2016 21:00

bracksroyal10 Things that I have seen every game at the mad stad this season:

- Al-Habsi bailing out our sleeping defence
Main culprit being Cooper although sure McShane has been guilty of sleeping a few times (he certainly did on Saturday)

- Norwood playing switch balls out of play

- Williams moaning at team mates

- Long flighted passes from the defence in to our giant target man up front (oh wait we don't have one so why do we do it?!)
Common sense, lets face it the majority of Championship centre backs are 6ft 2+, we have Cox, Vydra, Yann and Rakels all small strikers in size.
Why on earth are we playing the ball in the air and into the hands of the opposition defence?

We need to start distributing the ball out to the wings and get back to our old counter attacking ways.

Should we not be getting more penalties then? But, I suppose we wouldn't score from them anyway.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 May 2016 22:05

Top Flight
Longhorn1970

I guess this is where human emotion takes over from logic and reason. Emotion pushes you towards the wrong decisions.

If you make decisions based on logic and reason then it is clear that McDermott is the right manager for Reading FC at the moment based on following certain rules, principles and facts.

As Ranieri would say 'ding a ling a ding dong' !! ...

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 May 2016 10:29

Spoke to the Reading supporting Parcel force driver last night. "BM was the wrong appointment". "I'm not going to another game until he's gone".

"Even when he got us promoted - the football was abysmal"

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 May 2016 11:07

No Fixed Abode Spoke to the Reading supporting Parcel force driver last night. "BM was the wrong appointment". "I'm not going to another game until he's gone".

"Even when he got us promoted - the football was abysmal"

Well that's that then

141 posts