Re: Transfer Deadline Day - August '16

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Sep 2016 11:28

Can't we still sign loan players?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 13:01

loyalroyal4life Can't we still sign loan players?

Nope - that ended last night as well

And there is no "emergency loan" window this season either...

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 01 Sep 2016 13:23

TBM In fairness we did well this window

11 players in
shifted out the deadwood
kept hold of Gunter/Williams/McCleary

All we need to do now is offer those ^ players a new contract to keep them at the club for another 3 years

The "deadwood", Tish and Norwood?
I would have preferred it we had kept those two and that Gunter and Williams had left instead.

However it is what it is and although our striking options are poor we do have loads of wingers, all of whom look to have something about them whereas last year we really only had McCleary who was far too often unfit.
Swift looks a good addition but I'll reserve judgement on Moore and Blackett who both have decent pedigrees and could be exceptional at this level.....or not ,but that is the gamble of Championship Manager (the reality, not the game.).

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 15:18

BR2

11 players in
shifted out the deadwood

All we need to do now is offer those ^ players a new contract to keep them at the club for another 3 years

I would have preferred it we had kept those two and that Gunter and Williams had left instead.

However it is what it is and although our striking options are poor we do have loads of wingers, all of whom look to have something about them whereas last year we really only had McCleary who was far too often unfit.
Swift looks a good addition but I'll reserve judgement on Moore and Blackett who both have decent pedigrees and could be exceptional at this level.....or not ,but that is the gamble of Championship Manager (the reality, not the game.).

Where did i say Tshi and Norwood were deadwood?

Ferdinand, Cox, Hurtado, Liburd, HRK - they were the deadwood....

Plus
Swift >> Tshi
JVB >> Norwood (for the role/position they would be playing)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2016 15:39

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM
It's not silly if these players keep you in the league to get another £90m the following season

It is if it costs you £100m to do it.

£80m profit, how is that bad?

That's £10m loss on the previous season which is likely to be replicated the next season. You don't go from spwnding £100m one season to £0 the next. There's signings every season and wages make up the bulk usually anyway.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 15:59

Ian Royal
TBM
Ian Royal It is if it costs you £100m to do it.

That's £10m loss on the previous season which is likely to be replicated the next season. You don't go from spwnding £100m one season to £0 the next. There's signings every season and wages make up the bulk usually anyway.

Like Leicester you mean, when they won the league having hardly spent anything last season.

Its not £10m loss if you stay in the division with another guaranteed £90m coming in

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2016 16:00

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM

Like Leicester you mean, when they won the league having hardly spent anything last season.

Its not £10m loss if you stay in the division with another guaranteed £90m coming in

surely more than 90? Prize money included in that?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2016 16:10

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM

Isn't the Leicester thing something of an urban myth? I thought they had invested pretty well in players (certainly in comparison to RFC when we've been at the top level), if not last season, certainly the season before.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 16:17

RoyalBlue
TBM
Ian Royal That's £10m loss on the previous season which is likely to be replicated the next season. You don't go from spwnding £100m one season to £0 the next. There's signings every season and wages make up the bulk usually anyway.

Isn't the Leicester thing something of an urban myth? I thought they had invested pretty well in players (certainly in comparison to RFC when we've been at the top level), if not last season, certainly the season before.

They did, which is the point - they didn't spend much last season but built from what they did previous seasons, even if that cost them £100m in one season, if it means you stay in the division you'll make that back easily and in Leicesters case get even more money cos they won the league, got into the Champions league etc

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Sep 2016 16:28

TBM
RoyalBlue
TBM

They did, which is the point - they didn't spend much last season but built from what they did previous seasons, even if that cost them £100m in one season, if it means you stay in the division you'll make that back easily and in Leicesters case get even more money cos they won the league, got into the Champions league etc

Yeah, but you need to have the finances in the first place to invest £100m without return. And for every Leicester there are 5-6 Leeds who fail and end up with massive debt and no income. Spending money isn't a guarantee for success.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Sep 2016 16:31

loyalroyal4life Can't we still sign loan players?

Only players out of contract.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2016 16:36

TBM
BR2

11 players in
shifted out the deadwood

Plus
Swift >> Tshi

whilst I agree and am happy with the window- apart from lack of incoming striker
surely the correct comparison should be swift with norwood and tshibola with VDB

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2016 16:38

It's not silly if these players keep you in the league to get another £90m the following season

IF

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 16:56

Elm Park Kid
TBM
RoyalBlue

Yeah, but you need to have the finances in the first place to invest £100m without return. And for every Leicester there are 5-6 Leeds who fail and end up with massive debt and no income. Spending money isn't a guarantee for success.

No its not guaranteed but when we went up - so did Southampton and West Ham......both sides are/were in Europe this season, Swansea made it the other year, Leicester well you know and then you've got the likes of Stoke, Palace, Watford, Bournemouth all holding their own.

We didn't invest in Premier League quality and didn't survive too long. Name my one RFC fan who thought before each game that we would win it?!

So although it may not bring success, it you can get a squad capable of holding their own then you can build from there spending more and more money each season to progress.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2016 17:17

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM

And another £100m guaranteed going out. You can't borrow money from next year to justify spending too much this year when you'll have to spend at leaat as much next year.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Sep 2016 17:23

Ian Royal
TBM
Ian Royal That's £10m loss on the previous season which is likely to be replicated the next season. You don't go from spwnding £100m one season to £0 the next. There's signings every season and wages make up the bulk usually anyway.

And another £100m guaranteed going out. You can't borrow money from next year to justify spending too much this year when you'll have to spend at leaat as much next year.

Why is it another £100m going out?

How many teams actually spend £100m in one season? - you might do over the space of 3 seasons but at that point you've got near on £300m in the bank.
Last edited by TBM on 01 Sep 2016 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Sep 2016 17:24

TBM
BR2

11 players in
shifted out the deadwood

Plus
Swift >> Tshi

If you didn't think they were deadwood why didn't you include a section for "really good players that we have sold"?
I would suggest that it is a bit early to suggest that Swift and JVB are better options than Tish or Norwood ,particularly in the case of JVB but these are just opinions.
We will only know in a year's time of course.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2016 18:44

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM

Why is it another £100m going out?

How many teams actually spend £100m in one season? - you might do over the space of 3 seasons but at that point you've got near on £300m in the bank.

Wages.

When we were in the PL the income was about £40m and we spent about £44m, just on wages iirc not including the circa £6/7m we spent on transfers.

You receive £90m from the PL for your season and spend £20m in transfer fees and £80m in wages. You stay up, by losing £10m to receive £90m next year instead of ~£30m in the Championship. You then have at least £80m to spend on wages the next season, even if you spend nothing on transfer fees and no one gets a pay rise. You spend £20m less than the season before, for a net £10m profit on that season - you've still made no money, you've just cancelled out the £10m you over spent the previous season. And lets face it, your wage bill will have gone up and you'll have still made signings, so realistically you lost more.

Every season you're losing money on the gamble that you don't have a drastic cut in income. Sooner or later you'll lose the coin toss (much much sooner than you'll do a Leicester and get the CL megabucks) and suddenly, if you're prudent and have a relegation wage reduction clause, you'll find yourself losing double and be in insane debt. If you weren't prudent, you're spending £80m on a £30m income.

But anyway - off topic.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 01 Sep 2016 21:16

TBM
BR2

11 players in
shifted out the deadwood

Plus
Swift >> Tshi

Personally, I think Norwood was deadwood, A bit overrated. Took some nice corners and free kicks but I don't remember much coming from any of them. Perhaps a good player in a team that is happy going nowhere.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2016 07:55

Victor Meldrew
TBM
BR2

Plus
Swift >> Tshi

If you didn't think they were deadwood why didn't you include a section for "really good players that we have sold"?
I would suggest that it is a bit early to suggest that Swift and JVB are better options than Tish or Norwood ,particularly in the case of JVB but these are just opinions.
We will only know in a year's time of course.

Of course, but I think Swift will certainly play more games than Tish did - 13 wasn't it? - and he's already injured again at Villa. So we appear to have a fitter player, and potentially an as good, if not better footballer.

JVB and Norwood is a bit like comparing apples and pears - they were/are both played as holding midfielders, but JVB is much more of an enforcer type than Norwood