MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h)

690 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h)

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 09:26

I'm a fan of playing it out from the back - it's the way football is generally played nowadays successfully. Southwood is a good keeper for it as well. Its the slow cumbersome playing through the middle of the pitch which is the issue for me. And think that is partly due as urrzz mentioned to cramming in 3 CMs

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 09:26

I'd be going 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 - we don't have full back, so don't pick any.

So

Southwood

Dann
Laurent
Holmes

Azeez
Drinkwater
Dele-Bashiru (or Rino if he is fit enough to start)
Hoilett

Swift

Carroll
Puscas (who knows a goal may help him)

Bench - whoever is standing.

Defeat is the most likely result so lets go down all guns blazing rather than timidly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 09:32

worth noting that the game on Saturday was Fulham's first since 20th Dec. And the cup game went to extra time so they'll be undercooked/tired potentially. Previous to that they hadn't won in 5 games.

No doubts we'll lose, but any excuses about us being tired/Fulham being too strong for this division etc won't really cut it.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2022 09:38

Hound I'm a fan of playing it out from the back - it's the way football is generally played nowadays successfully. Southwood is a good keeper for it as well. Its the slow cumbersome playing through the middle of the pitch which is the issue for me. And think that is partly due as urrzz mentioned to cramming in 3 CMs

What frustrates me is every pattern of play we do HAS to involve the defenders passing it. So we could turn over the ball in a good position and it feels like once a bit of pressure comes in, no matter where we are on the pitch it we just play it back to the CB or keeper. Just retain possession. And the opposition love it as it makes their job easy.
I think players like Swift and Hoilett want to pass forward there is no support as they are standing still going - you not going to pass it back to Southwood?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 09:41

It could turn into a bit of a volatile atmosphere depending on the scoreline or depending on when the first goal goes in for them. It they score within the first 5-10 minutes, we could be on the end of a hiding.

We should inevitably see a reaction though due to Saturday's performance and result.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 09:43

Coppells Lost Coat
Hound I'm a fan of playing it out from the back - it's the way football is generally played nowadays successfully. Southwood is a good keeper for it as well. Its the slow cumbersome playing through the middle of the pitch which is the issue for me. And think that is partly due as urrzz mentioned to cramming in 3 CMs

What frustrates me is every pattern of play we do HAS to involve the defenders passing it. So we could turn over the ball in a good position and it feels like once a bit of pressure comes in, no matter where we are on the pitch it we just play it back to the CB or keeper. Just retain possession. And the opposition love it as it makes their job easy.
I think players like Swift and Hoilett want to pass forward there is no support as they are standing still going - you not going to pass it back to Southwood?

i don't even mind passing it back to the back 4/keeper. Sometimes we need to to keep possession or take the heat out of the game for a period. What we do tend to do I find is not be brave enough/not have options to look for the forward pass and its become default to turn back and give it to the CBs.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2022 09:49

Stranded I'd be going 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 - we don't have full back, so don't pick any.

So

Southwood

Dann
Laurent
Holmes

Azeez
Drinkwater
Hoilett

Swift

Carroll

Defeat is the most likely result so lets go down all guns blazing rather than timidly.

This.
Might say play Puscas a little deeper maybe alongside Swift. Tell Carroll to be just in front of there CB at all times. Tell Puscas / Swift to keep up top for corners to give us something to aim for - Fulham to worry about.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Jan 2022 09:50

Knowing how football works, Paunovic will probably get a result and get another 9 lives.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 09:52

Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded I'd be going 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 - we don't have full back, so don't pick any.

So

Southwood

Dann
Laurent
Holmes

Azeez
Drinkwater
Hoilett

Swift

Carroll

This.
Might say play Puscas a little deeper maybe alongside Swift. Tell Carroll to be just in front of there CB at all times. Tell Puscas / Swift to keep up top for corners to give us something to aim for - Fulham to worry about.

I quite like the idea in concept but I think Fulham would tear us to shreds if we were to play that open against them and I can't imagine being on the end of a hefty defeat is going to do much in the way on confidence either, not that it could be much lower.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2022 09:57

Hound
Coppells Lost Coat

i don't even mind passing it back to the back 4/keeper. Sometimes we need to to keep possession or take the heat out of the game for a period. What we do tend to do I find is not be brave enough/not have options to look for the forward pass and its become default to turn back and give it to the CBs.

I think we are caught in our own cycle. Players are not getting into the positions because they expect the ball to be played backwards.
Yes retaining possession is good but that is not enough. Passing back to the keeper should be reserved for getting yourself out of a sticky situation not a default go to.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2022 09:58

NathStPaul Knowing how football works, Paunovic will probably get a result and get another 9 lives.

This is absolutely gonna happen. 1-0 Reading.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 09:58

YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat

So

Southwood

Dann
Laurent
Holmes

Azeez
Drinkwater
Hoilett

Swift

Carroll

This.

I quite like the idea in concept but I think Fulham would tear us to shreds if we were to play that open against them and I can't imagine being on the end of a hefty defeat is going to do much in the way on confidence either, not that it could be much lower.

Maybe - Fulham are on a run of 1 win in 6 - W1 D4 L1 - so are hardly setting the world alight at the moment. I think our only chance against them is to get on and stay on the front foot but if we can get ahead they may get a little nervous.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2022 09:59

We're longer odds than Kiddy were against us. Lol.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2022 10:03

YorkshireRoyal99 [

I would at least give it it a go. I am not sure this is a time to play conservative. Imagine if we dont go for it, play 5 at the back, Fulham still rip us a new one and we continue to look toothless. We have tried that twice and failed - against a high rolling Kidderminster and Derby. Lets try something else.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2022 10:06

Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul Knowing how football works, Paunovic will probably get a result and get another 9 lives.

This is absolutely gonna happen. 1-0 Reading.

Doing the double over Fulham is dreamy. Love watching Fulham fans bitch about losing to us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 10:27

Coppells Lost Coat
YorkshireRoyal99 [

I would at least give it it a go. I am not sure this is a time to play conservative. Imagine if we dont go for it, play 5 at the back, Fulham still rip us a new one and we continue to look toothless. We have tried that twice and failed - against a high rolling Kidderminster and Derby. Lets try something else.

Yeah I'm not suggesting we just sit in and likely get beat 3-0 without offering anything but at the same time the formation and selection above just seemed a little "too attacking" for my tastes. I still believe we have enough quality in our team to get on the ball and cause them issues, we proved that at their place and they aren't on a fantastic run either, but it must be said any result tomorrow will be seen as a bonus for me.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Jan 2022 10:33

I can park the Harriers result. Questionable selection, awful bench, subs, tactics, yes, but all I care about is the league and I can only assume he feels the same.

Fulham are good but in pretty poor form.
We have to bounce back from the worst (?) defeat in our history
We're at home.
Pauno has had the chance to sort out fitness issues (no more excuses, he could have given people match fitness or rested them v Harriers)

A horrid performance here and it will further suggest he's lost the confidence of his players and his last few remaining fans like me will reluctantly follow suit.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Jan 2022 10:35

:roll:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2022 11:14

Millsy I can park the Harriers result. Questionable selection, awful bench, subs, tactics, yes, but all I care about is the league and I can only assume he feels the same.

Fulham are good but in pretty poor form.
We have to bounce back from the worst (?) defeat in our history
We're at home.
Pauno has had the chance to sort out fitness issues (no more excuses, he could have given people match fitness or rested them v Harriers)

A horrid performance here and it will further suggest he's lost the confidence of his players and his last few remaining fans like me will reluctantly follow suit.

So you can forgive the worst result in our entire history, but losing against promotion favourites is where you draw the line?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 11:16

I think the issue is half the midfielders standing on top of the CBs, the wide players staying wide and the AM standing next to the striker.

It leaves a vast void in the middle of the park, so you can't pass through.

That, the total lack of movement and the fact no one knows when or where anyone is going to pass is the problem.

690 posts