How bad would relegation be?

193 posts

How bad would relegation actually be (1-10)?

10 (RFC Ceases to exists)
11%
19%
19%
18%
7%
12%
2%
5%
1%
1(Fun season that actually makes the club stronger)
7%

Total votes: 85
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How bad would relegation be?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 14:56

Hound at a guess who would be interested:

3 teams who come down from Prem, WBA, Blackburn, QPR, Huddersfield, Forest, Sheff Utd, Stoke, Hull, Cardiff, lots of clubs from abroad.

Huddersfield wouldn't be, no chance they'd be affording their wages and transfer fees. The others possibly. I can only imagine Hull and Cardiff would be the ones who would take them realistically but I can't imagine it will be so long before both those clubs end up in our situation anyway, so they'll be making the same "mistake" if you like.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Feb 2022 15:04

The one reason I think that relegation wouldn't be the end of the world is that at least it would take the pressure off the new managers a bit and give them breathing space to build long-term. We expect new managers to get results immediately - and are (usually) only a few poor results away from being fired - and in the Championship that's a hard task. Look what happened with McDermott #2 - he came in to a club full of loan players that he knew wouldn't be around long. So basically wrote off the rest of the season and started planning for the next. Naturally, we didn't get results during that time - but then who really cares if you finish 7th or 17th if your team is going to have to be rebuilt next season anyway. And he was fired for it. Bowen was treated even worse. I honestly believe that it's just a situation that encourages short-termist thinking, that can work for one season but pretty soon you find that everything was built on shifting sand.

We get relegated and at least the new manager is going to be in a league where there is less pressure. Regardless of how crap we start, it would take a complete shitshow to get relegated again, so they can start thinking about how they're going to create a new team that will be able to compete in the league. It gives you a little more slack when you know your opponents aren't going to capitalise on every mistake you make and will make more of their own. We'll be one of the biggest spenders in the league, rather than midtable, and still have Championship standard players.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Feb 2022 15:07

Elm Park Kid The one reason I think that relegation wouldn't be the end of the world is that at least it would take the pressure off the new managers a bit and give them breathing space to build long-term. We expect new managers to get results immediately - and are (usually) only a few poor results away from being fired - and in the Championship that's a hard task. Look what happened with McDermott #2 - he came in to a club full of loan players that he knew wouldn't be around long. So basically wrote off the rest of the season and started planning for the next. Naturally, we didn't get results during that time - but then who really cares if you finish 7th or 17th if your team is going to have to be rebuilt next season anyway. And he was fired for it. Bowen was treated even worse. I honestly believe that it's just a situation that encourages short-termist thinking, that can work for one season but pretty soon you find that everything was built on shifting sand.

We get relegated and at least the new manager is going to be in a league where there is less pressure. Regardless of how crap we start, it would take a complete shitshow to get relegated again, so they can start thinking about how they're going to create a new team that will be able to compete in the league. It gives you a little more slack when you know your opponents aren't going to capitalise on every mistake you make and will make more of their own. We'll be one of the biggest spenders in the league, rather than midtable, and still have Championship standard players.

Strange thing to say. Why don’t you ask some of the relegated clubs, in league one, if they don’t feel pressure to get promoted back again. :lol:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 15:26

I think there will be pressure on us to go back up again at the first attempt, I just think a lot of the fanbase wouldn't be expecting it. But best believe that, if we were to go down to League One, if we were in Sheffield Wednesday's or Ipswich's position, we'd be moaning about underachieving, even if our squad looks drastically different next season.

It would make sense to give someone a 2-3 year deal and give them the opportunity to build a squad to go back up, but if we end up between 9th-12th and are significantly away from the play off positions, there will end up being more unrest at the club.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Feb 2022 15:30

CountryRoyal
Elm Park Kid The one reason I think that relegation wouldn't be the end of the world is that at least it would take the pressure off the new managers a bit and give them breathing space to build long-term. We expect new managers to get results immediately - and are (usually) only a few poor results away from being fired - and in the Championship that's a hard task. Look what happened with McDermott #2 - he came in to a club full of loan players that he knew wouldn't be around long. So basically wrote off the rest of the season and started planning for the next. Naturally, we didn't get results during that time - but then who really cares if you finish 7th or 17th if your team is going to have to be rebuilt next season anyway. And he was fired for it. Bowen was treated even worse. I honestly believe that it's just a situation that encourages short-termist thinking, that can work for one season but pretty soon you find that everything was built on shifting sand.

Strange thing to say. Why don’t you ask some of the relegated clubs, in league one, if they don’t feel pressure to get promoted back again. :lol:

But those relegated teams are rarely at risk of getting relegated again (unless something seriously wrong is going on at the club). So it's a different type of pressure - like, the worst thing that can happen has already happened and the new manager isn't going to make things any worse. You can given them a bit more leeway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2022 15:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Hound
With some players yes. Realistically there would be no shortage of interest in the 3 mentioned. You can't tell me there wouldn't be a queue of clubs trying to pick Joao (20 odd goals last year and just good), Meite (1 goal in every 3 from RW) and Ejaria (young, well rated generally) up for a small fee - between 1-3m worst case. Be painful to see that happen mind you.

Moore I'd worry about still, so desperately hope Stoke want him. Puscas is going whether Pisa get promoted or not from the sound of it.

Exactly. These players aren't overpaid or failures or old. They're talented, appropriately paid and in their prime.

It's win win. We sell them and we get cash and free up wages for twice the L1 players, we keep them we have players who will dominate L1 and it's just 3 on high wages and very few left over on even lower Championship wages.

There would of course be interest, but it's who would be interested which is the issue. The issue we would have is that, if we were to go down, they would improve a lot of sides' first XI from outside the play off positions this season, but who would be able to afford their wages? Sheff United, Middlesbrough, Stoke etc might be able to do but Blackpool, Luton, Millwall, Preston etc won't and won't pay their wages. The clubs that you'd imagine can definitely afford their wages and fee will probably end up looking at other players as well.

So yes, selling them would be a win-win situation, but it's who would take them. There probably is someone out there willing to match their fee and wages in the Championship that would improve their team, but it's not like we would have half a dozen realistic clubs that each could go for. It obviously depends who comes down as well e.g. Meite might be a decent option for someone like Watford.

They're on about 20, not 30+ almost any champ club could afford one.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 16:38

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Exactly. These players aren't overpaid or failures or old. They're talented, appropriately paid and in their prime.

It's win win. We sell them and we get cash and free up wages for twice the L1 players, we keep them we have players who will dominate L1 and it's just 3 on high wages and very few left over on even lower Championship wages.

There would of course be interest, but it's who would be interested which is the issue. The issue we would have is that, if we were to go down, they would improve a lot of sides' first XI from outside the play off positions this season, but who would be able to afford their wages? Sheff United, Middlesbrough, Stoke etc might be able to do but Blackpool, Luton, Millwall, Preston etc won't and won't pay their wages. The clubs that you'd imagine can definitely afford their wages and fee will probably end up looking at other players as well.

So yes, selling them would be a win-win situation, but it's who would take them. There probably is someone out there willing to match their fee and wages in the Championship that would improve their team, but it's not like we would have half a dozen realistic clubs that each could go for. It obviously depends who comes down as well e.g. Meite might be a decent option for someone like Watford.

They're on about 20, not 30+ almost any champ club could afford one.

https://capology.com/club/reading/salaries/

I have just used this as a reference. Assuming the 3 aforementioned players earn £20k per week (for arguments sake), they would become the highest earning players at 12 clubs in the Championship (joint highest at Preston and Swansea).

So the other 12 clubs have players that earn more than £20k a week as their highest earner. Baring in mind 3 of those clubs, at minimum (Bristol City, Stoke and Middlesbrough), could come under FFP regulations as of next season as well as Fulham, West Brom and Bournemouth all receiving parachute payments, you're probably only realistically looking at 6 clubs in this division where they would be average to above average/lucrative earners at those clubs as well as being seen as good enough for their squad, just as a basis. Jucas Joao probably is good enough for the squads of all Fulham, Bournemouth and West Brom, but maybe not whilst earning £20-25k (likely wage demands), whilst on the other side of things, Yakou Meite probably does improve Bristol City, Stoke and Middlesbrough, but if Profit & Sustainability Regulations begin to be a stumbling block as of this summer, they won't be wanting another high earner joining their club unless they can move on a couple before hand.

My point being is that, although these 3 players would be good players for many Championship sides:
a) Would they be good enough to be some clubs' top earner?
b) Would some clubs be willing to pay significantly more than what their current top earner is for any of the 3 players mentioned?

The answer is I don't know. Maybe in the case of Blackburn and Nottingham Forest on the list for example, quite possibly yes. But the likes of Luton Town and Blackpool, probably not.

So by saying almost "any" Championship club could afford them probably isn't wrong judging by all their wage bills, but there would also be many that are less likely to match their wage demands given what their wage bills and top earners are currently. Obviously it's a tough one to judge.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Feb 2022 16:39

Elm Park Kid
CountryRoyal

But those relegated teams are rarely at risk of getting relegated again (unless something seriously wrong is going on at the club). So it's a different type of pressure - like, the worst thing that can happen has already happened and the new manager isn't going to make things any worse. You can given them a bit more leeway.

So you think we WILL be going down again. then?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Feb 2022 17:26

I know this puts me in a tiny minority or even on my own but I honestly don’t care what league we’re are in. I go to games because I love the match day experience, along with the anticipation of whether we’ll win or not. Most of the games this season have felt like Groundhog Day tbh as Pauno doesn’t learn from his mistakes.

Yes, I’ll be upset if we go down but that’s football. I love the highs and loathe the lows but I support Reading and if that’s in the Premiership or the National League I’ll be there.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Feb 2022 18:07

blythspartan I know this puts me in a tiny minority or even on my own but I honestly don’t care what league we’re are in. I go to games because I love the match day experience, along with the anticipation of whether we’ll win or not. Most of the games this season have felt like Groundhog Day tbh as Pauno doesn’t learn from his mistakes.

Yes, I’ll be upset if we go down but that’s football. I love the highs and loathe the lows but I support Reading and if that’s in the Premiership or the National League I’ll be there.

Had we been the same club at Elm Park I would have the same attitude....but we are not....I think we have a brilliant stadium and training facilities second to none. It would be a disaster to drop a level with the infrastructure we have.
I don't get your type of thinking, the league below does have a handful of biggish clubs, but otherwise your dropping into the abyss.....I don't want us to return to that level of football ever again.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Feb 2022 18:39

Ascotexgunner
blythspartan I know this puts me in a tiny minority or even on my own but I honestly don’t care what league we’re are in. I go to games because I love the match day experience, along with the anticipation of whether we’ll win or not. Most of the games this season have felt like Groundhog Day tbh as Pauno doesn’t learn from his mistakes.

Had we been the same club at Elm Park I would have the same attitude....but we are not....I think we have a brilliant stadium and training facilities second to none. It would be a disaster to drop a level with the infrastructure we have.
I don't get your type of thinking, the league below does have a handful of biggish clubs, but otherwise your dropping into the abyss.....I don't want us to return to that level of football ever again.

If our infrastructure is so great why are we in such a poor state of affairs?
I get what you’re saying but there are plenty of examples where sides have bounced back bigger and better from League 1. I know it can easily go the other way but the reality is with Pauno set to remain in charge we look likely to get relegated unless there’s an upturn in results.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Feb 2022 20:31

Royal_jimmy Fair to say 70% of fans think relegation would be an utter disaster for the club.

A good 30% couldn't really give a shit.

So I reckon less than that if there are some that genuinely think it a positive.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Feb 2022 21:37

blythspartan
Ascotexgunner

I get what you’re saying but there are plenty of examples where sides have bounced back bigger and better from League 1. I know it can easily go the other way but the reality is with Pauno set to remain in charge we look likely to get relegated unless there’s an upturn in results.

We have no director of football and people who run the club haven't got a clue.
The DOF is the biggest miss in the whole structure. We are like a rudderless ship with a manager who has all but given up and can't be removed it appears.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 08 Feb 2022 21:39

If we entered League 1 I can’t see us going straight back up, but it may give us the opportunity to start rebuilding the club from top to bottom which it desperately needs. Get in a young manager and a director of football and give them a chance to build something long term. Our bad contract management has actually given us a chance to start some major rebuilding work next year.

I also think the Championship is broken. FFP and Parachute payments has destroyed this league and until that’s fixed it’s going to be very hard to compete. I can see a long list of clubs ending up in our situation.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 21:41

Ascotexgunner
blythspartan
Ascotexgunner

We have no director of football and people who run the club haven't got a clue.
The DOF is the biggest miss in the whole structure. We are like a rudderless ship with a manager who has all but given up and can't be removed it appears.

We have had DoF's before (or namesakes) and still been in the same old position for years barring our 7/8 months or so under Bowen and last season under Pauno.

We've even had Bowen as a Sporting Director, fulfilling similar roles as DoF, and were scrapping at the bottom of the table. The people who have titles at the club will make no odds if the owner continues to take advice from those who do not have official roles within the club (Kia), it becomes irrelevant who you have in those positions.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2022 21:43

Been there done that, most of the kids have never seen us go down except from the PL, this could be a whole new experience for them. i don`t want it to happen but whatever the consequences we might actually get to see us winning some games.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Feb 2022 17:19

Hound
Forbury Lion
Royal_jimmy Fair to say 70% of fans think relegation would be an utter disaster for the club.
and the other 30% lack the ability to think.

depends exactly what is meant by an utter disaster. If playing L1 football for 4-5 years is a disaster, then yes it may well be.
Administration, Insolvency, The owners selling the ground for what they can get to a 3rd party, New owners who have no money.
That sort of thing.

Simply playing football at the level we deserve to be in based on performances is not a disaster in isolation, I'd probably enjoy League One football and the challenge of seeing things turn around

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Feb 2022 20:07

I would more than likely get my season ticket back if we went down. Not if we stay up.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Feb 2022 23:27

We`re about to find out.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Feb 2022 00:43

I think relegation would be the start of a long quagmire for us. Things will get far worse before they get better

193 posts