BTFG Cambridge

121 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BTFG Cambridge

by blythspartan » 05 Sep 2023 13:17

Now the dust has settled we were a couple of millimetres away from getting a draw last night, which would have been a decent result given Cambridge’s recent home record.

I think as mentioned I’d like to see Elliott play in centre midfield and I’d play Vickers as a winger. For me Azeez flatters to deceive and he doesn’t look good enough for League One level.

Also, as has been stated their wingers were terrific and maybe Vickers and NGW could be used as out and out wingers for us.

I’m afraid I am rubbish when it comes to formations and I have always loved 4-4-2, but would a 4-3-3 work better with the way Selles wants us to play?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Sep 2023 13:23

Hound
PieEater
Hound
Yes they did. They pressed well, they defended well and they used the wings well. Credit where it’s due, they were organised and had a solid game plan. Brophy is a good player

I don’t think Carson had a particularly bad game. The turning point was when Mbengue got knackered (again) and we had to change FBs. Don’t think the goal would have happened if Yiadom had still been LB

We’re asking too much of our FBs imo. Mbengue can’t seem to last the game and Carson is great on the ball but not the best defender

I agree about the wingers, they both took on the full backs, beat them and put in decent crosses. We have pretty well nobody who can do that, except maybe NGW.

I think critisim of Carson is a bit harsh, his defending isn't great but he's the only one to put crosses into our vertically challenged attack.

Vickers put in some good crosses after beating his man - ie the Knibbs crossbar chance at the end

Watching that back, dunno how he hasn’t scored that. Looked a goal all the way. Git commentator yelling he’s given it before changing his mind 5 secs later

I'm not convinced that the referee hadn't already decided it was a foul by Knibbs as the cross came over.
May have been even more galling to have the ball go in and then get disallowed

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Sep 2023 13:46

I'm going to put my neck on the block now. I don't think the problem is the players. It's the manager and the formation. Looks like too many square pegs in round holes - Knibbs being a prime example. He clearly isn't used to covering back / playing wide and so Carson is getting exposed. I'd like to see Knibbs playing centrally off the centre forward rather than Azeez or Vickers.

Agree about the Elliott comments - must play more centrally and again looks like a square peg playing where he is. Also agree on the Savage comments - looks like a very modern coached footballer - pretty at doing wall passes and simple 5 yard balls but doesn't defend or attack with any conviction. At least Elliott & Vickers look like they want to go forward and create something. However, not sure WIng is going to be the answer either.

Opposition coaches can see our flawed formation easily and are trying to exploit it. Even with 10 men Stevenage could see it and tried to play wide as much as possible. 4-2-2-2 (which isn't a formation by the way) is totally pointless, especially in this league where (it seems) most teams are set up with wingers.

Selles also needs to stop taking off full backs every game. You have to have a settled defence who all know each others' roles and responsibilities. To play three left backs in one game is just stupid coaching. Especially after they've just made three attacking subs.

Yiadom needs to be nowhere near this team. The way he just let the player go in the build up to the goal is what annoyed Selles in his post match interview.

For those being critical of Tom Holmes, Harlee Dean makes him look like Usain Bolt and Lionel Messi rolled into one. Dean doesn't suit the style that Selles is trying to play.

I was quite looking forward to this season, but seeing such flaws in the coach's preferred formation now has me very concerned and fearing our ability to stay up (especially given we're likely to receive further points deductions as the season progresses).

Selles won't make it until May.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Sep 2023 14:08

3points I'm going to put my neck on the block now. I don't think the problem is the players. It's the manager and the formation. Looks like too many square pegs in round holes - Knibbs being a prime example. He clearly isn't used to covering back / playing wide and so Carson is getting exposed. I'd like to see Knibbs playing centrally off the centre forward rather than Azeez or Vickers.

Agree about the Elliott comments - must play more centrally and again looks like a square peg playing where he is. Also agree on the Savage comments - looks like a very modern coached footballer - pretty at doing wall passes and simple 5 yard balls but doesn't defend or attack with any conviction. At least Elliott & Vickers look like they want to go forward and create something. However, not sure WIng is going to be the answer either.

Opposition coaches can see our flawed formation easily and are trying to exploit it. Even with 10 men Stevenage could see it and tried to play wide as much as possible. 4-2-2-2 (which isn't a formation by the way) is totally pointless, especially in this league where (it seems) most teams are set up with wingers.

Selles also needs to stop taking off full backs every game. You have to have a settled defence who all know each others' roles and responsibilities. To play three left backs in one game is just stupid coaching. Especially after they've just made three attacking subs.

Yiadom needs to be nowhere near this team. The way he just let the player go in the build up to the goal is what annoyed Selles in his post match interview.

For those being critical of Tom Holmes, Harlee Dean makes him look like Usain Bolt and Lionel Messi rolled into one. Dean doesn't suit the style that Selles is trying to play.

I was quite looking forward to this season, but seeing such flaws in the coach's preferred formation now has me very concerned and fearing our ability to stay up (especially given we're likely to receive further points deductions as the season progresses).

Nice to hear a well reasoned critique over "He's just an inexperienced, foreign manager who lost a load of games at Southampton".

I thought Knibbs played wide for Cambridge quite often? I agree we are being targeted down the flanks and I could see a 4231/433 with more protection down the wings and Elliott in the middle being effective, though suddenly we'd be overloaded for the CF position with Smith, Ballard and Ehibhatiomhan.

But give him a chance. Good managers adapt. I like what he's trying to do with pressing and high intensity - perhaps he's capable of a formation tweak.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Sep 2023 14:34

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal :|

Yeah, thought that would shut you up for a bit.

No, it's just so stupid it's not worth anything else.

:lol:

You know what, it's really better just to admit you made a bit of a daft comment, than try to project back to the poster pointing it out.

But yeah, I think we all know that's a life lesson you haven't learned.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2023 14:42

I must admit I'm not sure I've ever seen a professional footballer put so much effort into running and yet move as slowly as Harlee Dean.

Exception to the rule is Keith Scott, of course.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2023 14:45

And some other short opinions, as I only dipped in and out of the game.

Nelson Abbey looks a very classy player indeed.
I understand now the point made to be about the speed of Abbey and Bindon, highlighted by Harlee Dean's 'running'
Vickers looks busy and threatening but clearly needs coaching. Real potential, but could equally go nowhere.
Ehibhatiomhan is getting better and better. Very good on the ball ('for a big man') but I think will always be prone to one or two just bouncing off of him.
Button is an almost embarassingly good keeper at this level.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Sep 2023 15:02

Sanguine And some other short opinions, as I only dipped in and out of the game.

I understand now the point made to be about the speed of Abbey and Bindon, highlighted by Harlee Dean's 'running'
Vickers looks busy and threatening but clearly needs coaching. Real potential, but could equally go nowhere.
Ehibhatiomhan is getting better and better. Very good on the ball ('for a big man') but I think will always be prone to one or two just bouncing off of him.

I know he's older now but he awesome for Brentford when they were in league one. For the first time since we had Emi Martinez I feel comfortable with our goalkeeper

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Sep 2023 15:05

Was at the game and my thoughts are that Elliott has to play more centrally. On top of that, I was rather bemused by his substitution as I thought he was a threat. Also puzzled by Wifi's omission as he made a real difference when he came on. The left side concerns me: Carson is just not ready yet as a LB and coupled with the fact Knibbs does not help out, I always felt that a goal would come from there; playing three LBs in 90 mins is not a good look.

Agree with others on here that 4-2-2-2 is just too narrow and would like us go 4-3-3 with Elliott central and Vickers wide - or maybe Ejaria if and when he is available. He looked a real threat taking players on in the final third in the second half when we briefly got on top.

Still prepared to give Selles time, but we need a result and a good performance to go with it soon. Bolton next up will be tough.
Last edited by Ark Royal on 05 Sep 2023 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2023 15:18

Royal_jimmy
Sanguine And some other short opinions, as I only dipped in and out of the game.

I know he's older now but he awesome for Brentford when they were in league one. For the first time since we had Emi Martinez I feel comfortable with our goalkeeper

And to think he was written off a month ago. He does look very solid so far (and seems a good chap as well which always helps)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 15:18

WestYorksRoyal
3points I'm going to put my neck on the block now. I don't think the problem is the players. It's the manager and the formation. Looks like too many square pegs in round holes - Knibbs being a prime example. He clearly isn't used to covering back / playing wide and so Carson is getting exposed. I'd like to see Knibbs playing centrally off the centre forward rather than Azeez or Vickers.

Nice to hear a well reasoned critique over "He's just an inexperienced, foreign manager who lost a load of games at Southampton".

I thought Knibbs played wide for Cambridge quite often? I agree we are being targeted down the flanks and I could see a 4231/433 with more protection down the wings and Elliott in the middle being effective, though suddenly we'd be overloaded for the CF position with Smith, Ballard and Ehibhatiomhan.

But give him a chance. Good managers adapt. I like what he's trying to do with pressing and high intensity - perhaps he's capable of a formation tweak.

I believe he played wide, but they had more in central midfield who did the covering. Think more of a 4-5-1

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 15:19

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Yeah, thought that would shut you up for a bit.

No, it's just so stupid it's not worth anything else.

You know what, it's really better just to admit you made a bit of a daft comment, than try to project back to the poster pointing it out.

No, I could deconstruct how stupid it is, it's just not worth the effort.

yuomi

by yuomi » 05 Sep 2023 15:35

Watching back that Kaikai run in the first 30 seconds, the three players he beats on Cambridge's left wing - well inside the 18 yard line - are Azeez, Vickers, and Savage, with Knibbs spectating nearby. Mbengue is hugging the six yard box and the cross goes over his, Dean's and Abbey's heads with Ahadme beating Carson to win the header.

I still don't fully understand how we set ourselves up last night, but that feels like a lot of players way out of position from the off.

In hindsight I think I let my anger/disappointment get the better of me last night, and was probably unduly harsh on a couple of players. But still think that they had far too much joy running at us, and that we didn't try and run at them anywhere near enough.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 15:47

yuomi Watching back that Kaikai run in the first 30 seconds, the three players he beats on Cambridge's left wing - well inside the 18 yard line - are Azeez, Vickers, and Savage, with Knibbs spectating nearby. Mbengue is hugging the six yard box and the cross goes over his, Dean's and Abbey's heads with Ahadme beating Carson to win the header.

I still don't fully understand how we set ourselves up last night, but that feels like a lot of players way out of position from the off.

In hindsight I think I let my anger/disappointment get the better of me last night, and was probably unduly harsh on a couple of players. But still think that they had far too much joy running at us, and that we didn't try and run at them anywhere near enough.

Might have to have another look because I thought Mbengue got turned inside out on that early chance.

yuomi

by yuomi » 05 Sep 2023 15:59

Snowflake Royal
yuomi Watching back that Kaikai run in the first 30 seconds, the three players he beats on Cambridge's left wing - well inside the 18 yard line - are Azeez, Vickers, and Savage, with Knibbs spectating nearby. Mbengue is hugging the six yard box and the cross goes over his, Dean's and Abbey's heads with Ahadme beating Carson to win the header.

Might have to have another look because I thought Mbengue got turned inside out on that early chance.

Mbengue gives away the foul and then drops back. Whole move is on the Cambridge extended highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSv-0J56xYQ

Esteban

by Esteban » 05 Sep 2023 16:09

I am getting too old for school night away days :(

I didn't think it was quite as bad as some people seem to think. Button had to make a good save pretty much from kick off and they had their goal, but other than that, there wasn't much. We had one scramble and the Knibbs shot off the bar - not convinced the ref or lino knew if it was in either way, so called a foul where there wasn't really one to save having to make a decision.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm sure it's full of insightful commentary and analysis as always! :wink: For me, Selles' 4222 formation needs a lot of time to get used to. It's not a formation we play much in this country and I certainly don't understand it, but the players we have brought in are here because someone thinks they will work in this system. I would rather that, than just signing the only players we can get to join us and just throwing them together.

We were never going to start smashing teams from the off, we needed a complete rebuild this summer and we had to do it despite all of our off field issues. It was never going to be quick, or easy. We have no divine right to beat anyone in this league and especially with a team of young players and first year pros with little or no experience of league one. This season's expectations shouldn't be too grand, mid-table and a strong finish would be about par.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Sep 2023 16:36

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal

I believe he played wide, but they had more in central midfield who did the covering. Think more of a 4-5-1

Quote from an interview he did last year with the local Cambridge newspaper

"“I’ve always been a striker growing up but I feel in the system we’ve got the number 10 role is really good for me.

“It’s a position where I can help to set our off the ball press. Bonz (Mark Bonner, head coach) says I sort of play two positions when I’m in that role.

“I can help back and be an eight defensively but then I get forward to stretch teams and help Joey (Ironside) or Sam if they’re playing through the middle."

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 16:54

3points
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Nice to hear a well reasoned critique over "He's just an inexperienced, foreign manager who lost a load of games at Southampton".

Quote from an interview he did last year with the local Cambridge newspaper

"“I’ve always been a striker growing up but I feel in the system we’ve got the number 10 role is really good for me.

“It’s a position where I can help to set our off the ball press. Bonz (Mark Bonner, head coach) says I sort of play two positions when I’m in that role.

“I can help back and be an eight defensively but then I get forward to stretch teams and help Joey (Ironside) or Sam if they’re playing through the middle."

Yeah, I think he's better in the thick of it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Sep 2023 16:55

3points Selles won't make it until May.

I wouldn’t be sure. Dai has precedent of keeping managers for longer than he should and don’t you need money to sack/sign managers?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Sep 2023 21:05

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal No, it's just so stupid it's not worth anything else.

No, I could deconstruct how stupid it is, it's just not worth the effort.

Classic. :lol:

121 posts