Shane Long

134 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Jan 2007 10:56

My personal viewpoint is that loans can work in the right conditions i.e. the player goes to a club at a good standard (Championship) where he will play the vast majority of games as a starter and is fairly local to his home. Of course no club can guarantee a first team berth for a whole season or part there of but I think Long needs a run in a team to smooth off the edges. My personal preference would be to improve the team by signing a striker like Zamora and Long to go out on loan for the remaning three months.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 11:00

Examples of successful loans?

Its hard to think of many.

Most end up elsewhere - Danny Webber as a recent example.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Jan 2007 11:06

Recently or in general?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 14:21

Huntley & Palmer Recently or in general?

Can you think of any?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Jan 2007 14:22

Uke

Can you think of any?

Jamie Ashdown benefitted immensely from a loan to Rushden and also Matthew Upson owes a lot to his loan at Reading.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 14:24

Alan Partridge
Uke

Can you think of any?

Jamie Ashdown benefitted immensely from a loan to Rushden and also Matthew Upson owes a lot to his loan at Reading.

And which one remained at the club that loaned them out?

My point exactly

Loan sends a "try before you buy" message to the player, thta they are not a valued member of the squad

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Jan 2007 14:26

Uke
Alan Partridge
Uke

Can you think of any?

My point exactly

Loan sends a "try before you buy" message to the player, thta they are not a valued member of the squad

Absolute rubbish, the last point. Loan is a chance for fringe players to get first team experience or to play some games. They may have had injuries or just be young players getting a chance somewhere.

Well Ashdown was wanted here but got a transfer to a Premiership club.

Upson was against some of the best defenders in the league, got a transfer to another Premiership club and ended up in the England squad.

I would say they were succesful oans.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 14:31

From the players viewpoint only

Ashdown was wanted here, but decided thta he was bigger than RFC and wanted a guaranteed start and left. The loan to a club where he was guaranteed a place every week, made him demand it.

Upson was never wanted by Arsenal and was sent to us to get him fit and increase his price.

We should keep and develop our players with first team chances like Long's yesterday.

Our set up is based on a team ethic. If you are loaned out it says you're not necessary for the team.

Someone, anyone, please name for or five loanees who has stayed with their loaning club to go on to bigger and better things? If only to prove me wrong

roland*

by roland* » 21 Jan 2007 14:36

Beckham to Preston and Defoe to Bournemouth spring straight to mind.

Ascension

by Ascension » 21 Jan 2007 14:37

Cashley Cole...

roland*

by roland* » 21 Jan 2007 14:37

And believe John Terry spent some time on loan at Forest...

Ascension

by Ascension » 21 Jan 2007 14:40

One Rio Ferdinand...

Ascension

by Ascension » 21 Jan 2007 14:41

Fat Frank..

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2007 15:11

Alan Partridge
Uke
Alan Partridge
Uke

Can you think of any?

My point exactly

Absolute rubbish, the last point. Loan is a chance for fringe players to get first team experience or to play some games. They may have had injuries or just be young players getting a chance somewhere.

Well Ashdown was wanted here but got a transfer to a Premiership club.

Upson was against some of the best defenders in the league, got a transfer to another Premiership club and ended up in the England squad.

I would say they were succesful oans.

Surely the point here is that they weren't successful loans for RFC in the long term.

We put Upson and Ashdown in the shop window and they ended up playing for other clubs.

We could never have afforded Upson but I bet Ashdown would have given more consideration to staying with RFC had we'd given him the slightest inclination that he'd get a fair crack of the whip.

Despite an excellent performance away at Grimsby, Jamie was subjected to the same "Not good enough" "Needs experience" mantra from the East Stand experts that had dogged so many before him.

As ever, thank Christ SC is our manager and yesterday was living proof that he is spot on in making sure Premiership RFC will be Shane's finishing school and not some northern clogging Championship outfit.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 15:49

Four loans have been quoted as successful - out of how many???

Sending Ashdown on loan three times really gave minm the correct message about match fitness. And he is getting the same message from Pompey now...

SC knows that some involvement with the first team is better than no involvement at all. He seems to treat the cup competitions as "loan experience" oppprtunities

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Shane Long

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Jan 2007 17:01

Gordons Cumming I think the boy is going to show everyone why he is so highly rated by the staff at Reading on Saturday............if he's picked. :wink:

I agree

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 Jan 2007 18:50

Uke
Alan Partridge
Uke

Can you think of any?

My point exactly

Except for clubs in the Premiership aiming to give a player some vital experience and a test to see how good they could be.

In the current Arsenal side, you've Eboue plus a current crop (of which some may not make it at Arsenal) of Bentner, Larsson etc. In the current Villa side, you've got Cahill, Ridgwell, Agbonlahor, Samuel and Moore who have been out on loan. Newcastle have Milner - on loan from Leeds to Swindon while there, and then a season at Villa. Parker was out at Norwich for a few games while at Charlton, and fellow Newcastle midfielder O'Brien had a spell at Carlisle.

Defoe had a famous spell at Bournemouth, as a youngster, as did Rio Ferdinand.

For young players with talent, it is a good, no, very good way of seeing what level a player can perform at.

Just because some players don't break through isn't an indictment of the loan system, its probably because they weren't quite good enough.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Jan 2007 18:53

papereyes
Uke
Alan Partridge
Uke

Can you think of any?

My point exactly

Except for clubs in the Premiership aiming to give a player some vital experience and a test to see how good they could be.

In the current Arsenal side, you've Eboue plus a current crop (of which some may not make it at Arsenal) of Bentner, Larsson etc. In the current Villa side, you've got Cahill, Ridgwell, Agbonlahor, Samuel and Moore who have been out on loan. Newcastle have Milner - on loan from Leeds to Swindon while there, and then a season at Villa. Parker was out at Norwich for a few games while at Charlton, and fellow Newcastle midfielder O'Brien had a spell at Carlisle.

Defoe had a famous spell at Bournemouth, as a youngster, as did Rio Ferdinand.

For young players with talent, it is a good, no, very good way of seeing what level a player can perform at.

Just because some players don't break through isn't an indictment of the loan system, its probably because they weren't quite good enough.

Defoe ripped us apart when he played for Bournemouth against us at home.

We need Shane Long to remain here now.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 21 Jan 2007 19:08

readingbedding
Defoe ripped us apart when he played for Bournemouth against us at home.

We need Shane Long to remain here now.

I was about to say the same thing... i remember that game!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jan 2007 19:12

But Defoe was there for a whole season - those loans are only worthwhile as part of a long-term training plan - they're no use at all for a player who you need to figure for you in the first team squad.

134 posts