I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

275 posts
southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2007 12:40

SpaceCruiser
Riseley I was surrounded by mannequins wearing replica shirts in the upper tier. Even Mr Angry is wearing this seasons home shirt! We are heading for a footballing plastic paradise where Adolf Hinton is in charge of marketing and Fat Barry the catering. The South Bank puddle is but a distant memory to the righteous.

Don't you wear a Reading shirt too? I seem to remember pictures of you with a shirt (circa 1998/9) and face paint.

In fact I sat next to Riseley away at Wigan in the play-offs and he was painted orange!

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 02 Apr 2007 12:45

shadesrwrf
Katie Marsden Reading = the worst away support in the league in terms of quality. On a par with Wigan, Boro and Fulham.

Almost everyone in a club shirt, sitting down and chanting such songs as 'M U R T Y' and 'Dave Kitson what a bargain'.

If you show any passion fellow fans are prepared to grass you up to the stewards and get you thrown out.

Not sure whether to ALOL or ALAD.

I have to say thats not the view shared by a couple of Spurs fans on the tube after the game. They were impressed with our away following and thought we generated a lot of noise throughout the game. Standing at games doesnt neccesarily annoy me, its just that i feel i have moved on from trying to demonstrate that 'i was there' at Elm Park and therefore am not trying to link myself with the past in this way.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Apr 2007 12:47

southbank1871
SpaceCruiser
Riseley I was surrounded by mannequins wearing replica shirts in the upper tier. Even Mr Angry is wearing this seasons home shirt! We are heading for a footballing plastic paradise where Adolf Hinton is in charge of marketing and Fat Barry the catering. The South Bank puddle is but a distant memory to the righteous.

Don't you wear a Reading shirt too? I seem to remember pictures of you with a shirt (circa 1998/9) and face paint.

In fact I sat next to Riseley away at Wigan in the play-offs and he was painted orange!

Was that when the club tried to create an orange away day?
Balloons were alright.
Painting yourself orange = spakko.

Banjax

by Banjax » 02 Apr 2007 13:03

Seal
Adrian's Fool
Banjax don't funking go then so maybe i can get a bloody ticket

hehe, good point. Is it just me or didn't anyone else think No 13 had a great match yesterday??? :? Lots of amusing chants such as "you're just a fat kevin doyle" (to Keane) "Nugent nicked your goal, Nugent Nugent nicked your goal" (to Defoe) and "3-1 in your cup final" (to Spurs fans collectively.

Also just spotted this in the Independent : "After the penalty had tipped the match Tottenham's way - the admirable Reading fans responded with a loud burst of "1-0 to the referee"

I'm confused.

Singing a couple of mildly witty chants doesn't make for great support.

I thought the support was ok, nothing special, which was backed up by the Steward I was sitting next to. He said Man U & Liverpool were the loudest fans this season. Best behaved - Reading & Watford, Worst - Cardiff.

I'm with JSC on this, I am getting seriously bored of away games now. Next season I'm going to pick and choose them, and stick to ones further away and at awkward times, so there are less daytrippers.

And to all the smart a$$es saying 'I'll have your ticket', well it wasn't mine anyway; I didn't have enough points to get one. Therefore I used a friend's with more points. If you really want to get to an away game you can, so stop moaning.

mate i would obviously do that but im the only person i actualy know that supports Reading and i live in Brighton so with tickets and travel just to Reading it ends up costing me about £100 a game, i can really only afford to go once every 6 weeks so i don't have that many royalty points, i have taken so much stick (verbal and physical) for supporting Reading including on Sunday when i had a whole pub full of people ganging up on me - i still give it some if i could get a funking ticket i would

how much support do you think you'd give Reading if you had to pay a fortune each time and get so much stick?!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 02 Apr 2007 13:08

Where to start on this thread:

Watch it in a pub - no worse an experience, armchair fans who with a bit of alcohol think they are Hansen.

Sit down/stand-up - YAAWWWNNN. Where I sat yesterday, B36, the balance was about right, but the near goal view was obstructed when people stood. In fact when the view was obstructed I found myself looking at the screen and thought: NO, that's like being in a pub, focus on the game, and got back to only using it for replays.

Families - Daughter could not sit, but had to crouch so she could be ready to stand on her seat - always the risk of tipping back!. At her age, 7, it is about soaking the whole thing in, than seeing all the match (as she can at home btw). You can't teach them it - and will stay in the memory.

Atmosphere - thought No13 did well - plenty of humour (Nugent/Defoe; Handball style Olees etc); kept it up for 90 minutes - Spurs were the ones who were quiet.

Quality of the football in the Premiership - Please. The movement of the attacking play yesterday and in other games as been of the highest order. In fact the greatest attribute of our team's defence is that they are not fazed, keep their shape and concentrate on the ball (not the step-vers) and the spaces more than the movement (which is all well and nice, but has no product unless in results in a ball into space).

Travelling - memo to myself, keep away from Hanger Gyratory (1 hour from M4 to M40) only got there 3 mins before KO.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 02 Apr 2007 13:10

What annoyed me is we are on the attack, everyone stands up in excitement and people are more worried about shouting 'sit down' tha joining in. Just stand up ffs.

Where I was sat yesterday, lower tier block 36 row 25, the spurs fans to the right of me were stood up so everytime the ball went over to right side of the pitch every Reading fan had to stand up to see. It was like this all game, up and down and up and down, why didn't people just stay stood as it was clear we would be stood up again in 30 seconds?

Farnborough Royal

Re: I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

by Farnborough Royal » 02 Apr 2007 13:19

Woodcote Royal Those of us with more than 3 brain cells are aware of a perfectly sensible campaign being waged to allow fans who wish to stand to do so once more, but in their own area that doesn't block the view of others who can't stay on their feet for 90 minutes, not to mention the vertically challenged............some of these are known as children :roll:

when I was in the Villa end at Fulham I had a kid sat next to me who couldn't have been any older then 8 and he stood on his seat all game so he could see, I also had some old people behind me and they all stood up all game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2007 13:27

Farnborough Royal
Woodcote Royal Those of us with more than 3 brain cells are aware of a perfectly sensible campaign being waged to allow fans who wish to stand to do so once more, but in their own area that doesn't block the view of others who can't stay on their feet for 90 minutes, not to mention the vertically challenged............some of these are known as children :roll:

when I was in the Villa end at Fulham I had a kid sat next to me who couldn't have been any older then 8 and he stood on his seat all game so he could see, I also had some old people behind me and they all stood up all game.

Wow! What a massive sample group you're using there. Conclusive results.

Some old people can stand for 90 mins. Some are also not so lucky or may not be able to do so esp when they have paid for a perfectly good seat.

Some kids can see when standing on a seat, some may still not be able to do or their parents may not want them to.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 02 Apr 2007 13:46

Stranded
Some old people can stand for 90 mins. Some are also not so lucky or may not be able to do so esp when they have paid for a perfectly good seat.

Some kids can see when standing on a seat, some may still not be able to do or their parents may not want them to.

I'm 6' 3" and couldn't sit down comfortably yesterday. So, one person is inconvenienced.

Kids? Why do we constantly pander to the needs of fukkin' kids? They must represent about 5% of the away support at a game, yet they're continously trotted out as a stock example in these kind of debates.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Apr 2007 13:58

Sharpy it fuks me off....

Reading = Family club

AndyRFC Nottingham Forest at Bristol City on Saturday, 3,500 stood up throughout the game hardly a shirt or family in sight.

When I first went to football I went with my Dad. I was too young to go on my own as I was 6. Therefore I went as a family.

Some people on this thread have some unbelievably snobbish and stupid ideas about watching football.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 02 Apr 2007 14:02

They tend to be short as well, small man syndrome

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Apr 2007 14:02

floyd__streete

Reading = Family club

AndyRFC Nottingham Forest at Bristol City on Saturday, 3,500 stood up throughout the game hardly a shirt or family in sight.

When I first went to football I went with my Dad. I was too young to go on my own as I was 6. Therefore I went as a family.

Some people on this thread have some unbelievably snobbish and stupid ideas about watching football.

Or teenagers.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 02 Apr 2007 14:02

Sorry, I think there is slightly too much stereotyping going on.

I'm a (fairly) young fan, wear the shirt (proudly I must add) but it's starting to stretch finance to the limits. How can anyone say this is due to being middle/middle-upper classes :?

Although I wear a shirt :shock: I still stand, shout, cuss, cheer, sing, etc. getting behind the lads.

Also: I can still under'stand' people that want to stand, and people that want to sit behind. I haven't had a problem, I stand up for what, 30 seconds, have my moment, and sit down. No one really gives a damn.

I don't understand the arguement for shirted fans being 'plastic'.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 02 Apr 2007 14:07

readingbedding
floyd__streete

Reading = Family club

Or teenagers.

wrong on both accounts tw@t

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Apr 2007 14:09

Sharpy its true....

there is a new class of supporter in Reading now!!

this is where passion is lost!!

hence sitting down all game ad moaning, always getting what they want, spoiltcunts!!

it will kill our club....im not saying we need a bigger 'mob' just we dont attract the traditional stereotypical footy fan due to increase in ticket prices especially at home!!

I give up on intelligent rational discussion with you. In language you'll understand - you are a total tit.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 02 Apr 2007 14:09

I think some people have to take it upon themselves to swap seats with people near the back.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 02 Apr 2007 14:10

Unreserved seating is where its at. Even if it was possible no doubt some thick idiots would still take their fukking kids up to the back and then feel obliged to ring out the compulsary "sit dowwwwwnnnnnnnn" when everyone else around is standing.

Anyway, fukking kids at football? :wink: They have a place. Its called the front. They deserve to be able to see as much as everybody else. With their parents and with elders who can't stand. Maybe the TO could somehow keep the first 5 rows for these needs? It can't be that difficult!

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 02 Apr 2007 14:11

floyd__streete

It gets so tedious trying to talk to these lamebrains, but on we go...we three are ASTs consisting of a husband and wife and an almost 15yo son. I think the traditional description of this configuration of would be...a family group.
Between the three of us, we have 72 (I'll spell it out for those with IQs lower than that...Seventy-two) years of supporting Reading yet according to AndyRFC, Jerry St.Clair et al, we apparently have no place at football matches and should be locked away with paedophiles and the criminally insane, leaving the terraces (don't mention the s**ts) to those who can simply shout long and loud and wear dark clothing, so no-one knows what they look like. The most pertinent qualification for this elite clique is that you have to have been born aged 17 or older, so that you couldn't ever be ashamed to admit that your dad (paternal head of the family unit) once took you to football.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Apr 2007 14:14

Sharpy if you studied sport and society (sociology) you would be on my knowledge level :wink:

couldn't get that low if I tried.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 02 Apr 2007 14:14

West Stand Man
Sharpy its true....

there is a new class of supporter in Reading now!!

this is where passion is lost!!

hence sitting down all game ad moaning, always getting what they want, spoiltcunts!!

it will kill our club....im not saying we need a bigger 'mob' just we dont attract the traditional stereotypical footy fan due to increase in ticket prices especially at home!!

I give up on intelligent rational discussion with you. In language you'll understand - you are a total tit.

explain how MY OPINION is wrong?! apart from y25/y24 and maybe a few dotted about in the north there are no longer big groups of young males going to games....be it hoolies or more importantly normally

275 posts