Stelios

The Mighty Finn

by The Mighty Finn » 23 Apr 2007 00:04

Compo's Hat
The whole year inn
T.R.O.L.I.
The whole year inn Wit a good portion of the crowd booing/jeering Doyle when he is about to take the pen, what difference does one balloon make?

Probably none, but the issue is the fact that this was obviously a pre-meditated act - its not as if you can make a balloon with magic alone.

If the balloon wasn't there Thompson would have been mouthing off during Doyle's runup or doing something else to put him off. Happens week in week out all over the country.

http://www.mgoon.com/Player/Mgoon_Playe ... ayerType=1

It was stelios. Pause it after 57 seconds

David Thompson is 15....Stelios is 7...unless they swapped shirts in another underhand move.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Apr 2007 09:40

It was definitely Thompson and I actually think it's quite funny.

Nothing to get wound up over.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Apr 2007 09:49

Maguire It was definitely Thompson and I actually think it's quite funny.

It is funny, but in another match it could have serious consequences if it actually worked.

For example Chelsea v Man Utd. Chelsea are winning 1-0 as the match nears its conclusion. Chelsea need to win to move above Man Utd. Then Man Utd get awarded a penalty. As the player makes their run up one of the Chelsea players bursts a baloon and succeeds in putting the Man Utd player off their stride and they miss. Chelsea go on to win the title.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 23 Apr 2007 10:17

He probably had the balloon on him for the purpose of some limp wristed goal celebration IF he scored....

But, he didn't score and probably does not feel good.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 23 Apr 2007 10:19

Wycombe Royal
Maguire It was definitely Thompson and I actually think it's quite funny.

It is funny, but in another match it could have serious consequences if it actually worked.

For example Chelsea v Man Utd. Chelsea are winning 1-0 as the match nears its conclusion. Chelsea need to win to move above Man Utd. Then Man Utd get awarded a penalty. As the player makes their run up one of the Chelsea players bursts a baloon and succeeds in putting the Man Utd player off their stride and they miss. Chelsea go on to win the title.

LOL at the thought of what Mourinho might say afterwards if that happened... "Manchester had every right to burst balloons if they wanted to, they chose not to. Anyway I didn't see the incident as it was not important to me but my team tell me that it wasn't a balloon, they say it was just chewing gum and that is OK with me, it's just part of the game"

IMHO though it was TOTALLY irresponsible action by Stelios or whoever it was and they should be handed a lifelong ban from the game. After all, what if, in these days of over-heightened security, people hadn't realised it was just a baloon bursting and had thought some kind of explosive device had gone off? Mass panic could have ensued, a stampede to get out of the stadium, people could have been injured in the rush or even killed...

...oh no, hang on though, it was only a balloon, people probably didn't even hear it burst. More interesting to me is the question raised by rob the royal as to why he had a balloon about his personals in the first place. My theory is that he had the balloon there as a kind of makeshift codpiece, sort of a testicle airbag if you will, in case of contact with the obviously ever-dangerous and vicious Stephen Hunt who had been rumoured to be out to injure opposition players by rendering them incapable of procreation, thereby also protecting Reading's future for generations to come by stopping potential opposition players at source...

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 23 Apr 2007 10:32

Exhibit A yer honour.

Pridders

by Pridders » 23 Apr 2007 11:22

Does it really matter?? Doyle scored a penalty someone stamped on a balloon. Wow how controversial! GET OVER IT FFS :roll:

by 1960 » 23 Apr 2007 15:57

Pridders Does it really matter?? Doyle scored a penalty someone stamped on a balloon. Wow how controversial! GET OVER IT FFS :roll:

Because footballers use every underhand method of cheating. Underhand=not easily spottable. This was totally open cheating and should be punished. Would you have said "Wow how controversial" if it had worked and Doyle had missed?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2007 16:04

Pridders Does it really matter?? Doyle scored a penalty someone stamped on a balloon. Wow how controversial! GET OVER IT FFS :roll:

Because footballers use every underhand method of cheating. Underhand=not easily spottable. This was totally open cheating and should be punished. Would you have said "Wow how controversial" if it had worked and Doyle had missed?

But how would you prove that the ballon bursting made him miss? Given the noise that you usually get during penalties I doubt he would have noticed it, let alone realised it had come from a player standing behind him.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 23 Apr 2007 16:06

Katie Marsden Disgraceful. The fact it was so pre planned makes it even more distasteful.

Cheating, no other way to describe it.

The FA should act and hand the w@nker a ban.

"hand the w@nker" how else would you do it!!
Last edited by biscuitsrus on 23 Apr 2007 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Apr 2007 16:09

This has got to be a clear case of unfair play - as pointed out, premeditated - and clearly against the spirit of the game.

Do they still have "ungentlemanly conduct" as an offence?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Apr 2007 16:27

Dirk Gently This has got to be a clear case of unfair play - as pointed out, premeditated - and clearly against the spirit of the game.

Maybe he was just clearing the pitch of white balloons to avoid anyone mistaking it for the ball?

Honestly, get a grip people this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen on a messageboard well-known for ridiculous threads.

Are Reading fans the biggest bunch of whingers in the entire league?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 23 Apr 2007 16:47

Dirk Gently This has got to be a clear case of unfair play - as pointed out, premeditated - and clearly against the spirit of the game.

Yes although referred to as "unsporting behaviour".

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Apr 2007 16:51

Solsjaer was booked for "ungentlemanly conduct" was he not for kicking the ball from the Keeper, even though the keeper had let go of the ball.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 23 Apr 2007 16:55

Royal Lady Solsjaer was booked for "ungentlemanly conduct" was he not for kicking the ball from the Keeper, even though the keeper had let go of the ball.

According the rule book the motion of kicking the ball is not considered "letting go" until the ball has impacted the foot and gone shooting off. Didn't you watch MOTD? :P

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 23 Apr 2007 16:56

Having not read all of this thread I'm expecting a same-thread Dodding but to be honest isn't this all just a load of hot air?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Apr 2007 16:57

zac naloen
Royal Lady Solsjaer was booked for "ungentlemanly conduct" was he not for kicking the ball from the Keeper, even though the keeper had let go of the ball.

According the rule book the motion of kicking the ball is not considered "letting go" until the ball has impacted the foot and gone shooting off. Didn't you watch MOTD? :P
I watched the match live and they said there was nothing wrong with what he did and the goal should have stood. Hey Ho.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Apr 2007 17:04

zac naloen

Yeah, and Alan Shearer had done the research..... :shock:

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 23 Apr 2007 17:05

Royal Lady
zac naloen

I watched the match live and they said there was nothing wrong with what he did and the goal should have stood. Hey Ho.

Well they didn't have several hours to go trawling through the law book and read the rule out word for word ;)

The Mighty Finn

by The Mighty Finn » 23 Apr 2007 17:39

I don't think we're a bunch of whingers. It's actually a very amusing thread. At least the incident was unusual enough to get comment in the media. This could be the start of a new craze.

Picture the scene in the dressing room before the match.....

"Right lads, this is the big one, the culmination of a fantastic season. I want a 110% from the lot of you. Now.....Let's get out there and get in their oxfording faces.....oh...and don't forget yer balloons just in case they get a penalty"