Cheering Owen before kick off

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

Re: Cheering Owen before kick off

by Z-Head » 03 May 2007 10:46

VOR
Z-Head
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Jerry St Clair Was anyone else perplexed by the rapturous applause Owen got when his name was read out before kick off?

Call me old fashioned, but opposing players should only be given this sort of reception in exceptional circumstances (i.e. they are Phil Parkinson or have just won the World Cup).

Not for fair-to-middling, injury-prone forwards who've played no previous part in Reading FC history whatsoever.

He is (was) one of England's best strikers.

And the poor guy injured himself horrifically playing for our country.

As an England fan I can transcend the immediate circumstance and cheer the fact that his name has been called out after so long.

The only time to cheer for him would be when his name was called out surely as that moment would signify his return more than any other. After the match would mean very little.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with it.

I take it those who say we should never cheer opposition players like this before a game would therefore not observe a silence for an opposition manager/ player etc who had nothing to do with us?

I'm proud of Reading fans that we cheered him. Nice one to all who did.

Well I think he's a tit!

Mmm... closely-argued response, Z-Head!

Let's see, Jerry, Wonder-goal v Argentina 98, scared them to death again in 2002 and won the vital penalty, happy knack of scoring in the big games in all the big tournaments. Not bad for a "fair-to-middling forward". Being so one-eyed you would qualify for a role in Doctor Who does NOT make you a better Reading fan.

Sorry for ill explain the definition of why he's a tit...
When He was 17-19 he was shear class. Firm in attack and everyone marvled at the just the presence of him being there.. mainly due to his desire to succeed.

As with all good tits the performance must one day droop and become old.
Some might say Owen has been plagued with injury. But personally I just think the pace of defenders has caught up with him. Bigger, better, harder tits at the back are squeezing him out of contention.

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 03 May 2007 10:49

Hes very one dimensional on the pitch don't you think?