Seol... on Yahoo news

158 posts
biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 04 Jun 2007 20:03

Royal Rother Seol is similar to Lita. Great in patches but it's so bloody irritatingly obvious how he is going to lose possession or take the pace out of our moves most of the time.

It isn't just Hunt's workrate that makes him worth 2 of Seol. His attitude, his running, his willingness to go where it hurts, his constant pressurising of opponents makes his contribution to the success of the team far far greater than Seol's.

Hunt gets himself in positions to put in more dangerous balls than Seol because of his workrate. The fact that Seol's final ball is, on balance, probably slightly better than Hunt's, is negated by the fact that he doesn't get into as many dangerous areas as Hunt.

Hunt's tackling and chasing back, his lung bursting runs out of defence at top pace create far more goal-scoring opportunities than Seol's superior final ball will produce because he's generally done it all too slowly so the defence has had time to get organised.

Seol is, as many people have said, a good player, and I will support him, frustrations and all, because he carries the hoops, but those who consider him even close to the equal of Hunt in all round contributions to the RFC cause, really are deluding themselves.

Which brings me to another unforgetable moment that of Hunty's goal away against Bolton to finish them off and send me to heaven.

I feel good.....................................and still do.
Last edited by biscuitsrus on 04 Jun 2007 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 20:15

1960 To go back to the roast thing. I do believe that roast beef is the correct nomenclature. Baked potatoes are put dry in an oven. Cakes are baked with nothing added. But beef and most other joints are basted, hence roasted.

Actually, since people no longer do most of their cooking using fire but an oven, we've ceased using the term "baking" to refer to meat and now call it "roasting" - this happened in about the late 19th century according to good old wikipedia again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roasting

It's nothing to do with the basting (though roast meat & vegetables are usually basted to prevent moisture loss), otherwise the old Christmas song wouldn't be "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" (see?) but would go "Chestnuts in an oven at about gas mark 7 being basted every so often so that they can be said to be roasting and not baking" which I don't think is quite as snappy... :wink:

Regarding the side topic of Seol I'm in the "pro-Seol" group and think the media is making more of this than perhaps is fair on the club, the player or the poor fans who take every word in the media seriously. He's technically gifted but this alone won't earn him a starting place in the team, he has to be on form as well. I don't think Steve C would want to see him go but if Glen Little is playing better then Glen will get the starting place, it's pretty much as simple as that - and as good as Seol may or may not be there don't seem to be many clubs beating a path to our door to ask for him. Didn't Oster make a fuss when he first came to the club (or had been here a similar length of time to Seol) saying (effectively) "more first team games or I'm out"?

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 20:19

SpaceCruiser
1960 To go back to the roast thing. I do believe that roast beef is the correct nomenclature. Baked potatoes are put dry in an oven. Cakes are baked with nothing added. But beef and most other joints are basted, hence roasted.

I've just had a thought. What about jacket potatoes, aren't they baked too?

This is true - and I know someone that used to baste them with butter (and salt) too to make the skins crispy - which would make them roast baked jacket potatoes.

Bring back the beef, the potatoes are too complex!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jun 2007 20:19

Oh aren't the Seol boo boys having a field day slagging him off over this. Obviously suffering withdrawal symptoms through not being able to have a go at him in the flesh. Muppets! :twisted:

Then of course we have those who would favour lung bursting runs above goal creating talent. Even greater muppets suffering withdrawal symptoms from league 1 football! :twisted:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2007 20:30

A lung bursting run with the ball at his feet, tearing the defence to shreds versus a dawdle, a short sprint, a jog, a turn around and beat the same defender 3 times? Now which do we prefer? Tough decision that isn't it?

Sorry Muppet, Hunt isn't League 1 anymore, he's come further than you appear willing to acknowledge. Shame on you.

poohs pure

Re: Seol... on Yahoo news

by poohs pure » 04 Jun 2007 20:31

Mrs Butler Seol issues Reading warning
Mon 04 Jun, 12:40 PM

TOKYO (Reuters) - South Korea midfielder Seol Ki-hyeon has told Reading boss Steve Coppell he will consider leaving the club unless he becomes a first-team regular.

"I am still thinking about my future. I definitely want to play more games next season," Seol told the official Web site of the Asian Cup.

"If I am not in the team next season, I will definitely have to find out whether another team wants a player like me."

Seol made 27 appearances for Reading last season but has spoken to Coppell about his concerns and desire for more regular first-team football with the Premier League side.

"I have spoken with the manager and he knows I am thinking that and he said he doesn't like players who are happy to be out of the team.

"I don't know what will happen, but as a professional player I will keep doing my best and we will see what happens."

Seol had spells with Belgium's Anderlecht and English club Wolves before joining Reading, who just missed out on a UEFA Cup spot after a dream first season in England's top flight.

The 28-year-old faces a fitness battle to be ready for July's Asian Cup following ankle surgery last month.

South Korea, World Cup semi-finalists in 2002, have not won the Asian title since 1960 and have failed to reach the final since 1988.

They face Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and tournament co-hosts Indonesia in Group D. The Asian Cup begins on July 7.

Maybe if he was any good at football he would get first team football..

ouch comment i know

bye

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Jun 2007 21:38

Royal Rother A lung bursting run with the ball at his feet, tearing the defence to shreds and then shanking a cross into the crowd versus a dawdle, a short sprint, a jog, a turn around and beat the same defender 3 times before putting in a decent centre? Now which do we prefer? Tough decision that isn't it?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 04 Jun 2007 21:40

Royal Rother A lung bursting run with the ball at his feet, tearing the defence to shreds versus a dawdle, a short sprint, a jog, a turn around and beat the same defender 3 times? Now which do we prefer? Tough decision that isn't it?

Odd 'decision' you mean...
Which players do you think you are describing, because if you think it's Seol and Hunt I don't think you get close on either of them !

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Jun 2007 22:57

floyd__streete This thread sums up nicely everything which is bad about HNA.

Grow up and get behind a player with good ability, one of our players.

As it followed immediately from my comment, I hope that this wasn't directed at me, seeing as I regularly shout at the Seol boo-boys around me during matches.

This thread started as yet another depressing incidence of HNA? small-mindedness, yet was ably diverted into a much more entertaining and utterly random conversation about baking. I love HNA? again. Beat the bigots and boo-boys with banal buffoonery!

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 04 Jun 2007 23:12

i didnt mean for this thread to end up like this....

Seol is a good player when he wants to be, i personally would be more of a fan if i saw him put 100% effort into the full mins of a game rather then a few mins at the end. Think he has alot more to offer

He was bought for 1.5 Million, so surely should prove he is worth it?

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 04 Jun 2007 23:44

I've always made clear that I've never really rated Seol.

He had his moments, but that is it, moments. If he was consistent, and put some effort in, these moments would come a lot more often, resulting in a much better player who would be worthy of a start.

I admit, he got better as the season came to a close but then he didn't do anything unexpected. That's why Little is so good, he's unpredictable. He mixed his game up, cutting inside the fullback, going round the fall back, deep crosses, jogging, 'sprinting' at the full back. All these things are what good wingers should do.

Not jogging it forward, trying to do the fullback and losing it, or doing loads of crosses from out wide.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jun 2007 00:48

I think that sums it up pretty well.

I'll add my summary that I think there is a great player somewhere inside Seol but he lacks the mental strength and confidence to really bring it out. Doesn't mean he can't contribute but unless a full year under Coppell & Co brings the fruits we have seen elsewhere I suspect he'll remain a frustrating enigma to me.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 05 Jun 2007 06:24

Mrs Butler
He was bought for 1.5 Million, so surely should prove he is worth it?

Why ?
He didn;t decide how much we paid for him.
We paid nothing for Little, should he prove he is worth it too ?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 05 Jun 2007 08:35

On his day Seol can turn games and do the biz.The trouble is he has too many off days where he appears to be playing massively within his abilities and some games where he has been quite frankly anonymous.
For Seol to fulfill his wish of playing regular premiership football he needs to up his consistency of performance so his manager at least has a rough idea of what his contribution is likely to be.Unless he can give Sir Steve a higher level of performance on a more regular basis he will continue to play a bit part role.
Of course all players have peaks and troughs of form but when planning match tactics Sir Steve has to assume at least a basic input level from each player.If a player is so unpredictable it simply becomes a gamble to select him inevitably a manager will start to turn away and look to others who are more likely to fulfill a role and gambles left on the bench!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jun 2007 09:15

In Little's first season with us he was a shadow of what he has become in the last 2. Let's hope Seol can improve in a similar way.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 05 Jun 2007 09:19

Although I'll stress again it is not JUST down to the player....

Seol may be more of a 'challenge' to a manager than (say) the likes of Doyle, Harper or Shorey who appear to be a manager's dream. But there is still a joint responsibility between the player and the management in terms of getting the best from the player.

We don't know what happens behind the scenes. Does Seol have (and understand) clear instructions about what is expected of him. Do the other players understand him (and not just treat him as another Glenn Little.).

Seol was used as a striker for a period last season which clearly didn;t work - howmuch did that period dent his confidence ?

What effect did the injury have was carrying have ?

How much impact did his regular trips off to play for Korea have on his fitness and his ability to bond with the team ?

None of the above might be relevent, but it's too 'easy' to slate an experienced international as 'lazy', or claim he can't play football when I doubt either are true.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Jun 2007 10:00

RoyalBlue Oh aren't the Seol boo boys having a field day slagging him off over this. Obviously suffering withdrawal symptoms through not being able to have a go at him in the flesh. Muppets! :twisted:

Then of course we have those who would favour lung bursting runs above goal creating talent. Even greater muppets suffering withdrawal symptoms from league 1 football! :twisted:

from the same people that moaned about hughes probably
huntys great, but.....for anyone to say that hes twice th eplayer seol is is unbelieveable

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 10:06

Royal Rother I'll add my summary that I think there is a great player somewhere inside Seol but he lacks the mental strength

Are you calling him a thicky? Jeez, is there no end to your delusions of mental superiority?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Jun 2007 10:08

and another thing(im angry now)

little had enough innefective games this season
games where maybe a single cross beat the 1st defender
games where most of his dribbles didnt come off

nothing ever mentioned here

hunty spends most of the matches not putting in decent balls, not beating th e1st man, l,osing possession, blasting over from close range

doesnt get anywhere near the same ammount of grief, or anywhere near the level of as vitriolic/hatred -fuelled, blinkered,or just plain rubbish that seol gets

seol scores, crosses from deep, crosses from wide, takes players on, pulls back and passes-retaining poissession not losing it
has started to tackle back, and work very hard on his relationship with th efull back

yet all he gets is grief
yes he is frustrating, but no more frustrating than harpers crabbing
oysters lack of end product despite obvious skill
sidwells shooting/passing last season
supermans occasional rush of blood to the head
etc etc

the more i think about it, the more im convinced its just plain racism

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2007 10:10

SpaceCruiser
Royal Rother I'll add my summary that I think there is a great player somewhere inside Seol but he lacks the mental strength

Are you calling him a thicky? Jeez, is there no end to your delusions of mental superiority?

Oh dear Spacey, Mental strength is not about intelligence in this instance.

It's about self belief and confidence in your ability. RR is suggesting that Seol may not fully believe that he is as talented as he is so takes the easy route out at times rather than challenging himself.

158 posts