rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 29 Jul 2007 11:48

awful game but nice to win - so far from the pitch aswell

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 29 Jul 2007 12:42

Compo's Hat
rg6royal " he plays on the left, he plays on the right.....that boi savage he's still oxf*rd shite ! "

just back from the game was happy with the result and thought it was a great day out.

Savage for England!

Fair play to him, he did give us a wave. I would like to apologise to anyone who laughed at my uber murkings hoping for a quiet end to the game :wink:

He nearly murked us by scoring :shock:

Still a legend.

Kitson did look good down the left. Could give Coppell an extra option somewhere down the line. The goal we conceded was very poor and the view is even worse now they've moved the away fans up the other end.

I heard Paul Brooker was on the Brighton legends team in the pre match build up. Can someone tell me how this happend?

who brought up about harry potter, it became to be a disgrace !

Seagullette

by Seagullette » 29 Jul 2007 13:28

The Cube
readingbedding There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

Methinks you ought to check out the truth.

From the Football League website

Dimensions

The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)
maximum 120 m (130 yds)
Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds)
maximum 90 m (100 yds)

Withdean's pitch is
Pitch Size: 110 x 75 yards which is 100.58 x 68.58metres

Reading's pitch
Pitch Size: 102 x 70 metres

There is less than 1.5 metres difference either way.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2007 14:08

Seagullette
The Cube

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

I think you'll find you're just re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game there - I don't think the FL have their 07/08 competition rules up yet.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Jul 2007 15:07

Compo's Hat I heard Paul Brooker was on the Brighton legends team in the pre match build up. Can someone tell me how this happend?

You heard correct, and I watched the match from the Sportsman pub next to the ground. Spoke with a few Brighton fans bafore the game, sound as a pound they were. Spoke about Brooker and it turns out that they actually thought he was excellent for them. A specific quote from one of their fans was "if you wanted to get the ball down the attacking end of the pitch quickly then Brooker's your outlet". Whilst they conceded he had absolutely no defensive ability, they clearly appreciated his attacking ability.

Incidentally, the legends match finished 2-2 and featured the likes of John Byrne (him of Sunderland 1992 FA Cup final prowess), Steve Foster, Jimmy Case, Paul Brooker etc...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2007 15:12

handbags_harris
Compo's Hat I heard Paul Brooker was on the Brighton legends team in the pre match build up. Can someone tell me how this happend?

You heard correct, and I watched the match from the Sportsman pub next to the ground. Spoke with a few Brighton fans bafore the game, sound as a pound they were. Spoke about Brooker and it turns out that they actually thought he was excellent for them. A specific quote from one of their fans was "if you wanted to get the ball down the attacking end of the pitch quickly then Brooker's your outlet". Whilst they conceded he had absolutely no defensive ability, they clearly appreciated his attacking ability.

Incidentally, the legends match finished 2-2 and featured the likes of John Byrne (him of Sunderland 1992 FA Cup final prowess), Steve Foster, Jimmy Case, Paul Brooker etc...

But just how off was the commentator when he said ".. and there's Gordon Smith. This time surely he MUST score!"?

And how sick of this must Gordon Smith be?

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 29 Jul 2007 16:11

Panaramic

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 29 Jul 2007 16:22

nice one ben, they are bleeders to do

what a crap view you guys had!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Jul 2007 16:33

Once again Floyd Streete makes his way into view on a crowd shot related to RFC...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Jul 2007 18:26

pLOLenty of empty seats

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 29 Jul 2007 18:57

My God - what a DUMP the Withdean is!!!!!! I feel really sorry for them, I really do!! Even our Speedway "stadium" is better than Withdean!!

That would be a disgrace in non-league football!

Thank heavens Falmer has been given the go-ahead. Realising what all the fuss was about now i retract all my previous about the Gayers! :wink:

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 29 Jul 2007 19:16

handbags_harris

http://allthingsbrightonbeautiful.com/g ... mayotest15

Seagullette

by Seagullette » 29 Jul 2007 22:17

Platypuss
Seagullette
The Cube

I think you'll find you're just re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game there - I don't think the FL have their 07/08 competition rules up yet.

What part of Football League don't you understand? Look for yourself. As I posted earlier there is less than 1.5 metres difference either way in our pitches.

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co ... 40,00.html

Daniella

by Daniella » 29 Jul 2007 22:23

Who gives a shit about the pitch. oxf*rd game, we were poor and won 3-1, end of( just for plat). Good luck to brighton, dont like them as a club but its a victory for football over the authorities and government. Now they've got their new ground I hope they shut up about it, was doing my nut in to be honest.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2007 22:45

BenReadingFC Panaramic
whooo ooo are the ghost-like apparitions right at the front (with the barrier passing straight right through them)?

The Cube

by The Cube » 29 Jul 2007 23:32

Seagullette Methinks you ought to check out the truth.
Withdean's pitch is

Withdean's pitch is nowhere near 75 yards wide and only a fool could possibly attend there even once and believe that it is.

For evidence, look at the hash marks 10 yards from the corner flag. They are only just outside the penalty area, making the width about 67 yards.

The Football League minimum is 70 yards.

(NB. One slight caveat - I haven't been to the dump since 2002 but I can't believe the athletic track has been rebuilt since then, and it doesn't look like it from the panorama photo. If anything the touchlines look like they've been brought in since then.)

Seagullette

by Seagullette » 30 Jul 2007 07:15

The Cube
Withdean's pitch is

Withdean's pitch is nowhere near 75 yards wide and only a fool could possibly attend there even once and believe that it is.

For evidence, look at the hash marks 10 yards from the corner flag. They are only just outside the penalty area, making the width about 67 yards.

(NB. One slight caveat - I haven't been to the dump since 2002 but I can't believe the athletic track has been rebuilt since then, and it doesn't look like it from the panorama photo. If anything the touchlines look like they've been brought in since then.)

I checked on our official website but the copy and paste I did was from the website footballgroundguide.
Argue with them.

PS the photo above is a montage if you haven't worked it out as you have bodies disappearing in the middle so how you work out that the lines definitely prove your point is beyond me.
It is a dump and we know it. That's why we've fought for ten years to get a new ground. Many clubs would have gone bankrupt although winning two championships and a play off final have helped quite a bit.
The compensation money for Coppell helped pay a few lawyers bills as well.

Seagullette

by Seagullette » 30 Jul 2007 07:24

The Cube
Withdean's pitch is

I've just realised you said the Football League minimum is 70 yards. It is 50 yards. Check out the link to the FL website.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 11:02

The Cube

What a surprise, Brighton cheating! I remember that it was their vegetable patch that helped them beat us in the promotion battle back in 2001/2 as well as forcing us to play 3 games in 6 days.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jul 2007 11:19

I think it was more the fact that we were shit at the end of that season.

142 posts