Despondent

185 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 17:34

Victor Meldrew Unfortunately Yesterday's result at Newcastle put our win in perspective but having had a bit more time to think about it all I am slightly more optimistic than I felt last night.

Over the years teams like West Ham,Spurs,Villa,City,Everton,'Boro,Pompey,Newcastle and so on have generally survived because they win more of their home matches than they lose which compensate for their dire away records.
In recent years we have been a side that does well away from home and we have got used to it but historically we fell in the same category as these teams.
I can remember going to many away games and expecting to lose and we usually did and this season we are back to how things were.

We CAN survive by winning another 6 or 7 home games and picking up a couple of draws and a surprise away win somewhere as long as
(a)We get back to a passing game
(b)We learn how to block shots and cut out crosses.
Our players need to look at Carvalho to see what blocking is all about-once again we allowed Davies to shoot from distance(we let it happen every week) and although you can get away with this at lower levels the players in the Prem. are quite capable of scoring from distance if they are not closed down.

So wins v Birmingham,Sunderland,'Boro,Bolton,Fulham,Villa and one other COULD be enough but the players need to pass and not surrender possession so readily, concentrate for the full 90 minutes and chase everything as if their lives depend on it.
Then we have a chance regardless of the personnel and maybe if we get into these good habits those odd away points might come.

I agree and certainly the high energy closing down style which was prevalent last season needs to return. Too many goals are being scored against us from outside the box indicating the opposition are not being closed down quick enough, players out of position, lack of blocking etc...
We are giving away far too many soft goals BUT if we beat the likes of Middlesbrough and Sunderland at home everything should be OK but these games are again looking like must win matches a bit like the Derby and Wigan games.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Nov 2007 17:58

Indeed...if beating lowly Fulham was 'too hopeful' then it narrows the field of 'winnable games' considerably...

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 04 Nov 2007 18:01

Alan Partridge Fulham ship goals

They are a team who won't be out of the 13th-20th category all season

They have only won 3 matches in 2007 (before today)

a 3-1 defeat there is shit.

and Bolton have only won one of their last 18 games..guess who against?

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 04 Nov 2007 18:11

So, to summarise this depressing thread.
We are incapable of defending – joint worst goals against with Derby
We are incapable of coming back and gaining a point once we are behind – only us and Newcastle share this distinction.
We have the heaviest home defeat in the league this season – 0-3 v West Ham
We have the heaviest away defeat in the league this season – 4-7 v Pompey
We have lost away to all the ‘bottom’ teams we have played – Bolton, Sunderland and Fulham
Out of the twelve teams we have played this season six – Bolton, Pompey, Sunderland, Fulham, West Ham and Blackburn have achieved their highest (or joint highest) score of the season.

And we play Arsenal next.

Still think we will stay up tho’ (yes I have been drinking)
:D

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Nov 2007 18:14

It's a funny old league isn't it?

Man.Utd have only once not managed a win at home this season.

Against Reading.

Bolton have only managed 1 win the entire season.

Against Reading

It's a funny old game. A topsy turvy game to be sure.

HTH

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 18:16

Gordons Cumming I think its time for one of your whimsical threads to lift the gloom and depression on this board. Perhaps you could do a fortnightly one to coincide with the away games and subsequent defeats that follow

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Nov 2007 18:40

PEARCEY Gordons Cumming I think its time for one of your whimsical threads to lift the gloom and depression on this board. Perhaps you could do a fortnightly one to coincide with the away games and subsequent defeats that follow

I shall give it some serious thought. Not too serious of course.......... :wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Nov 2007 19:01

Just come back from a weekend away so only saw MOTD. From what was said it sounded and looked to me that we were a tad unlucky. Having read this thread however it sounds as though the streets of Reading must have been flowing with the blood of all the hobnobbers slitting their wrists.

Please be realistic - we are still 12th - 5 points off the relegation zone and we will not win every game -even against the bottom half sides.

Yesterday was really a must win game for Fulham - the same as Derby and Wigan were must win games for Reading (and we won those).

We will probably have 20 points or so by the half year and will still be well clear of relegation!! We will not go down this year. Wigan, Boro, Derby and Bolton are all far worse than us and so probably are Sunderland and Brum. None of these sides will have 20 points at the half season. I think Fulham will be fine - if they keep faith with Sanchez.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 Nov 2007 19:26

paultheroyal
Oxon_Royal
rg6royal Convey should of came on earlier. Glad doyle got his goal though.

Convey should 'HAVE', FFS (yet another illiterate on HNA).

Does it matter?

Gee whizz.

:roll:

Yes it does. :oops: :roll:

Daniella

by Daniella » 04 Nov 2007 19:39

West Stand Man
paultheroyal
Oxon_Royal
rg6royal Convey should of came on earlier. Glad doyle got his goal though.

Convey should 'HAVE', FFS (yet another illiterate on HNA).

Does it matter?

Gee whizz.

:roll:

Yes it does. :oops: :roll:

Who gives a fvck? you know what th person means. Stop being so pedantic and childish, its pathetic.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Nov 2007 20:38

andrew1957 Just come back from a weekend away so only saw MOTD. From what was said it sounded and looked to me that we were a tad unlucky. Having read this thread however it sounds as though the streets of Reading must have been flowing with the blood of all the hobnobbers slitting their wrists.

Please be realistic - we are still 12th - 5 points off the relegation zone and we will not win every game -even against the bottom half sides.

Yesterday was really a must win game for Fulham - the same as Derby and Wigan were must win games for Reading (and we won those).

We will probably have 20 points or so by the half year and will still be well clear of relegation!! We will not go down this year. Wigan, Boro, Derby and Bolton are all far worse than us and so probably are Sunderland and Brum. None of these sides will have 20 points at the half season. I think Fulham will be fine - if they keep faith with Sanchez.

lol! Good post man!

Crowthorne Royal

by Crowthorne Royal » 04 Nov 2007 20:51

Started reading this thread 23 minutes ago! I was at yesterday's game and up until 3pm it had been a good day. Best ground in The Prem' for class, riverside views, able to watch Ars vs Man U in relative comfort. Pie (Beef) was quite nice but too bleedin' hot ! And so to the game.....This was my first away this season and a good atmosphere (from us) and confidence high from last weeks win made me feel a win was on the cards. As Floyd started this thread by saying the performance was truly worrying for any fan who wants to see Prem' football next year. Fulham in truth were worse! but benefited from one of the worst pieces of defending I have ever seen from a Reading side in any division. The concensus by most 'normal' fans i.e those not blighted by RTG's (Archie's penalty, sorry to single you out, but to say 'we played quite well' beggars belief) is that we have a poor defence, a poor midfield and we are OK up front. SC's tactics are baffling at present and unless we begin to do the basics of passing, tackling, closing down right then we are in a relegation fight. Again the RTG's will tell you that we are 12th! and what are we worrying about. The reality is we will soon be 18th, 19th or even 20th with performances like that. Incredibly it is fair to say that at 1-1 I thought we would go on and win. Fulham's mental state after losing so many leads was poor, but we were not ruthless, gave away posession and Fulham went through us like a knife through spreadable butter. I hesitate to 'pick on' certain players, but what has happened to Shorey, England LB. He was awful y'day. He looks like he's got wooden legs. His speed of turn is as inmpressive as an Austin Allegro. How Duberry plays ahead of Ivar is beyond me. Midfield, all woeful, but for occasional touches from Hunt & Doyle. Kitson shone for me y'day. Used as a battering ram and an aerial threat he also showed intelligent touches and moments of real invention to conjure a goal. The whole game lacked quality all over the pitch. I can't remember the last time I watched a game on MOTD and they showed 'the goal' as the 1st half highlights, that said it all. RFC vs Arsenal should be embarrasing, however as we have often done before esp' at home, we will probably be stoic, resolute, score a goal but still may end up 1-4 by 10pm. Finally, I left the ground feeling like I did vs Rotherham (also remembered with no fondness by The Quiet Man on page 1) when after beating W Ham at home to end our 13 game winless streak (Kitson hat trick I think) we went and lost in the last minute vs Rotherham who I think were bottom of the league. Coppell described us as a team with a 'soft underbelly' and I recall feeling incredibly low and angry after watching that. The very next season we went on to 106 points and the rest is history. Anything vs Arsenal next week would be a terrific response, but I still can't help feeling that a point y'day would have taken all the pressure off. Looking at the table today, you can see that a point would have given us some breathing space and kept Fulham in the doldrums. As it is the other 'crap teams' are now all breating down our neck. Final comment (sorry I know I've rambled but I'm still emotional!!) what has happened to Wally Downes ? All his defensive coaching seems forgotten by this team.....Is it because he's not getting a contract or something ? Is he on strike!? The team are certainly playing like that's the case. Even England are unlikely to cheer us up with no game for 2 weeks after Ars. Unless Israel can do us a favour, it may be RFC needing teams to do us a favour come May. Oh, well, Monday morning tomorrow :? :?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 21:00

Crowthorne Royal Started reading this thread 23 minutes ago! I was at yesterday's game and up until 3pm it had been a good day. Best ground in The Prem' for class, riverside views, able to watch Ars vs Man U in relative comfort. Pie (Beef) was quite nice but too bleedin' hot ! And so to the game.....This was my first away this season and a good atmosphere (from us) and confidence high from last weeks win made me feel a win was on the cards. As Floyd started this thread by saying the performance was truly worrying for any fan who wants to see Prem' football next year. Fulham in truth were worse! but benefited from one of the worst pieces of defending I have ever seen from a Reading side in any division. The concensus by most 'normal' fans i.e those not blighted by RTG's (Archie's penalty, sorry to single you out, but to say 'we played quite well' beggars belief) is that we have a poor defence, a poor midfield and we are OK up front. SC's tactics are baffling at present and unless we begin to do the basics of passing, tackling, closing down right then we are in a relegation fight. Again the RTG's will tell you that we are 12th! and what are we worrying about. The reality is we will soon be 18th, 19th or even 20th with performances like that. Incredibly it is fair to say that at 1-1 I thought we would go on and win. Fulham's mental state after losing so many leads was poor, but we were not ruthless, gave away posession and Fulham went through us like a knife through spreadable butter. I hesitate to 'pick on' certain players, but what has happened to Shorey, England LB. He was awful y'day. He looks like he's got wooden legs. His speed of turn is as inmpressive as an Austin Allegro. How Duberry plays ahead of Ivar is beyond me. Midfield, all woeful, but for occasional touches from Hunt & Doyle. Kitson shone for me y'day. Used as a battering ram and an aerial threat he also showed intelligent touches and moments of real invention to conjure a goal. The whole game lacked quality all over the pitch. I can't remember the last time I watched a game on MOTD and they showed 'the goal' as the 1st half highlights, that said it all. RFC vs Arsenal should be embarrasing, however as we have often done before esp' at home, we will probably be stoic, resolute, score a goal but still may end up 1-4 by 10pm. Finally, I left the ground feeling like I did vs Rotherham (also remembered with no fondness by The Quiet Man on page 1) when after beating W Ham at home to end our 13 game winless streak (Kitson hat trick I think) we went and lost in the last minute vs Rotherham who I think were bottom of the league. Coppell described us as a team with a 'soft underbelly' and I recall feeling incredibly low and angry after watching that. The very next season we went on to 106 points and the rest is history. Anything vs Arsenal next week would be a terrific response, but I still can't help feeling that a point y'day would have taken all the pressure off. Looking at the table today, you can see that a point would have given us some breathing space and kept Fulham in the doldrums. As it is the other 'crap teams' are now all breating down our neck. Final comment (sorry I know I've rambled but I'm still emotional!!) what has happened to Wally Downes ? All his defensive coaching seems forgotten by this team.....Is it because he's not getting a contract or something ? Is he on strike!? The team are certainly playing like that's the case. Even England are unlikely to cheer us up with no game for 2 weeks after Ars. Unless Israel can do us a favour, it may be RFC needing teams to do us a favour come May. Oh, well, Monday morning tomorrow :? :?

Yes a lot of what you say about the teams weakneses seem fair comment and Wally Downes does need to earn his corn given our defensive woes.
Despite the gloom other clubs around us are not winning and in the case of Derby and Wigan not even picking up points which helps the cause.
I know what you say about Kitson and he has been a star this season but for me Doyle has been brilliant over the last month and deserves credit for turning his form around. These two might just do enough to keep the wolf from the door...just think what they would do with better service

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 05 Nov 2007 08:29

My advice is to get so p*ssed you don't even realise there's a game on. That way you don't feel disappointed at all until you pick up the Sunday papers and realise we got a tonking.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 05 Nov 2007 08:36

why wait 135 years, build a big shiney new stadium, spend a fair few quid on players and when you finally reach your goal try and do it on the cheap. it totally beggars belief that RFC (JM) are not prepared to finish what they have started. totally understand what the club has achieved and the main reason (again JM) but for pitys sake finish the job off john or sell up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 08:48

Away wins will be a bonus this year, the same can be said for any team from us down.

This division is strangely skewed this year with the top half pulling away from the bottom 9 clubs. Pick up 10-12 wins at home, something we are more than capable of and scrape the odd point away and you'll be more than safe this season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2007 08:57

poohs pure why wait 135 years, build a big shiney new stadium, spend a fair few quid on players and when you finally reach your goal try and do it on the cheap. it totally beggars belief that RFC (JM) are not prepared to finish what they have started. totally understand what the club has achieved and the main reason (again JM) but for pitys sake finish the job off john or sell up.

So you would want Madejski to buy players that Coppell doesn't want?Again it is forgotten that the funds ARE available, Coppell chose not to use them.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Nov 2007 09:04

Northern Git We have the heaviest away defeat in the league this season – 4-7 v Pompey

Take issue with that:

Liverpool 6-0 Derby County
Arsenal 5-0 Derby County

for starters

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 05 Nov 2007 09:24

Alan Partridge Alarm bells are starting to ring tbh. If we can't beat Fulham away then it's hard to see where an away win is coming from, especially with Arsenal to come next. 3-1 is a shocking result.

Having just seen the goals, the 2nd goal is just littered with mistakes from Hunt, Shorey, Sonko and Hahnemann and is a quite frankly embarssing goal to give away. Work so hard to get back in the game and then do that is criminal.

It's easy to point the finger at the defense but when you have a midfield as oxf*rd as ours you aint gonna stop teams running through you. Leaving your defense exposed to waves of attacks.

I think it's time we went a bit old school. It's a bit harsh on Doobs who i don't think has done a great deal wrong, certainly no worse than anyone else but it's time for Murty/Rosenior - Sonko - Ivar - Shorey Got to go back to what was good for us and try it, see if it's got anything left to offer.

Time for Gunnarsson out with Fae in until we get to January and Coppell can attempt to sort out the mess he's left himself with. A 2nd record signing that can't get in the team, and time for Convey to start in place of the woeful Hunt. I'd rather doyle was up front but he's our best option on the right for now so should stay there, then Kitson with AN Other. I'd go Lita but if he goes for Long fair enough.

I personally find it embarassing that the team we have now, a year and a bit on in the Premiership is considerably weaker than the team that was playing week in week out for us in the Championship. That's where Coppell has failed in the last year or so for me. Our signings since January 06 have been quite frankly appalling.

Agree with virtually all this including comment about signings. Left the ground on Saturday very disappointed and feeling slightly robbed having paid £35 to watch a match with so little Premiership quality from either side. Duberry and Sonko should not be paired together---too similar is style and Shorey and Lita simply are not good enough at the moment. Some of Shorey's distribution and positioning were woeful. Unless there is a marked improvement from either player, I would be inclined to sell them in January and gamble on some decent replacements. We must have the weakest central midfield in the whole divisison. Really couldn't take many positives at all from Saturday's game and I hate to say it but we could get a real stuffing at the hands of the mighty gunners.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Nov 2007 09:48

weybridgewanderer We didn't deserve to lose?

Since Kitson came back we have 1 tactic, lump the ball up the park for Kitson to flick on

The passing flowing football, ball on the deck,out wide with pace we have played the last two years has gone

The team gave up at 1-1 when we should have gone on to win. Too many were happy for a point.

What frustrates me even more is Coppell saw that, he admitted it in his interview MOTD but he chose not to change things till we were behind again. He got lucky last week leaving the change till late, this week it didn't work.

the reason we lost is becuase we didnt settle for the point, and went on to try and win it
and most people neutral types believe we were unlucky not to get something out of it, many saying we played the better attacking football, and that their two later goals just papered over the cracks

and we are still 12th

185 posts