Why don't we just leave it here?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2008 16:20

Archie's penalty
Alan Partridge
brendywendy :shock: club increases its season ticket prices when going up a league shocker :shock:
our wage bill has more than doubled since we went up, by the way
training ground, new players, etc

im very happy paying what we pay-pretty decent value for money

now if i had an away ST id be starting to piss and moan slightly

Did last season, good policy but you need money to burn!! :shock:

Of course you are right, things we don't see or hear about have gone up and been improved no doubts. The letter did say for 'Reading to compete at this level we will need to bring players in, so prices are going up' words to that effect.

It's one area they haven't really delivered. £545 is a lot of money to watch this side this season in all honesty!

Didn't realise it was that much. Yes I would indeed be less of an RTG if I was paying that kind of price!

£545 Adult home, more in the Upper West
£385 Concessions

Away ST's commit to every game be it £30 or £48 + travel, matchday expense etc.

i know lots who do both, support this club with their wallets and presence, they have more of a right to voice their opinions on here be it positive or negative. IMO of course.

8)

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 15 Jan 2008 16:24

Interesting (well, a little bit, anyway) new quotes from SSC:
Steve Coppell said, not "Yes we're trying to do things in the window. But you look at the summer, some clubs spent an awful lot, and it after six months it has not really helped them a great deal.
"We decided not to spend then.
"It will be three teams from eight or nine that will go down, and we are one of the eight or nine, but we still have to do things our way.
"We won't spend just because we have money. We won't sign players we don't want, just to satisfy people's need for us getting people in. That would be wrong for us.
"Our strength is our unity. The core of this team has been together for a long time.
"Any people who come in have to earn their corn. I don't want to bring people in just to pad out the squad.
"We'd only want to improve and get people who will give us more in the long run, not two or three months.
"We're compromised at the moment because of Doobs' injury, and with the three other lads being away at the Cup Of Nations, that's affecting us.
"Obviously we knew they were going, so could we have done something about it? Maybe.
"But it's always tremendously difficult for us to acquire the players we want, because of our status within the Premier League.
"This is the buying time, and there's a feeding frenzy.
"I noticed Martin O'Neill saying that his January signings from last year - Young, Carew and Maloney, have all made a difference now, that shows they're long term signings.
"You have to do that, not just get four-month fixes. Although if you can get a fix we've got to do it. It's difficult to acquire those type of players."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 16:28

Archie's penalty Didn't realise it was that much. Yes I would indeed be less of an RTG if I was paying that kind of price!

It's even more if your buying per game, so what your saying is you don't really follow the team?

Fair enough, you can still have your opinion, it just puts things into a bit more perspective.

brendywendy :shock: club increases its season ticket prices when going up a league shocker :shock:
our wage bill has more than doubled since we went up, by the way
training ground, new players, etc

The other revenue streams, like merchandising, TV money, prize money etc etc have gone up as well though and I'm pretty sure the result is a lot more of an increase in revenue than the double the club has told us that wages have increased.

We've been short changed there, although I give them the benefit of the doubt here and I don't actually think it was intentional. I think the club underestimated the difficulty they would have in attracting the right players.

I still don't see how they could charge so much more per Premiership season ticket than they'd planned to the season before if we'd gone up. But that arguement is long passed!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Jan 2008 16:28

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Interesting (well, a little bit, anyway) new quotes from SSC:
Steve Coppell said, not "Yes we're trying to do things in the window. But you look at the summer, some clubs spent an awful lot, and it after six months it has not really helped them a great deal.
"It will be three teams from eight or nine that will go down, and we are one of the eight or nine, but we still have to do things our way.
"We won't spend just because we have money. We won't sign players we don't want, just to satisfy people's need for us getting people in. That would be wrong for us.
"Our strength is our unity. The core of this team has been together for a long time.
"Any people who come in have to earn their corn. I don't want to bring people in just to pad out the squad.
"We'd only want to improve and get people who will give us more in the long run, not two or three months.
"We're compromised at the moment because of Doobs' injury, and with the three other lads being away at the Cup Of Nations, that's affecting us.
"Obviously we knew they were going, so could we have done something about it? Maybe.
"But it's always tremendously difficult for us to acquire the players we want, because of our status within the Premier League.
"I noticed Martin O'Neill saying that his January signings from last year - Young, Carew and Maloney, have all made a difference now, that shows they're long term signings.
"You have to do that, not just get four-month fixes. Although if you can get a fix we've got to do it. It's difficult to acquire those type of players."

Very interesting views by Coppell and make me support him all the more. Not many managers as eloquent as that or as forward thinking...

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Jan 2008 16:31

Hoop Blah
Archie's penalty Didn't realise it was that much. Yes I would indeed be less of an RTG if I was paying that kind of price!

It's even more if your buying per game, so what your saying is you don't really follow the team?

[quote] Fair enough, you can still have your opinion, it just puts things into a bit more perspective. [quote]

Well I try to get to as many matches as I can. I live in Manchester so it's not that easy. Have been to 4 matches this year and seven last. I try to get to home matches when I can.

I don't think you could call that plastic but then you have every right to your opinion as well...
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 15 Jan 2008 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 16:33

Archie's penalty Very interesting views by Coppell and make me support him all the more. Not many managers as eloquent as that or as forward thinking...

We do need add players to the squad though. He's said the same thing during every transfer window but at some point he's going to have to add to his squad. It's just not got enough bodies in the right places to keep getting by as we are.

No we're not doomed but we are going backwards and the team needs improving. Whats he going to say in another six months time when the squad is even weaker?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2008 16:35

Archie's penalty
The Surgeon of Crowthorne Interesting (well, a little bit, anyway) new quotes from SSC:

Very interesting views by Coppell and make me support him all the more. Not many managers as eloquent as that or as forward thinking...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that a lot of it is almost word for word what I've been saying for the last 6 months. 8) :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 16:35

Archie's penalty Well I try to get to as many matches as I can. I live in Manchester so it's not that easy. Have been to 4 matches this year and seven last. I try to get to home matches when I can.

I don't think you could call that plastic but then you have every right to your opinion as well...

I wasn't having a go, or belittling your opinion. I couldn't really care less how many times you go or how long you've been a fan, it doesn't mean you more right or wrong.

As I said, it can add a bit of perspective to how people see things though.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2008 16:36

Archie's penalty
Hoop Blah

Fair enough, you can still have your opinion, it just puts things into a bit more perspective.

Well I try to get to as many matches as I can. I live in Manchester so it's not that easy. Have been to 4 matches this year and seven last. I try to get to home matches when I can.

I'd call that a pretty good effort to be fair. As I said on other threads it does make it easier to be positive and easier to put things into a bigger perspective if you will (i.e look how far we've come, we've still got a great chance) if you aren't seeing the performances from this team regularly. In particular away from home. Reading on the road this season has been utterly dismal.

That's not having a pop at anyone who chooses not to go, I've only been to 1 away game this season (Villa) due to other commitments but previously I'd only missed Wigan last year in the last 2 seasons. Some of my good friends still go to every game and tell me how rubbish Reading ahve been at times!! I found it 100times easier to look past that at the start of the season. Going to Villa opened my eyes a bit more especially when they said 'it's been like this all season'. Concerning times.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Jan 2008 16:38

Hoop Blah
Archie's penalty Well I try to get to as many matches as I can. I live in Manchester so it's not that easy. Have been to 4 matches this year and seven last. I try to get to home matches when I can.

I wasn't having a go, or belittling your opinion. I couldn't really care less how many times you go or how long you've been a fan, it doesn't mean you more right or wrong.

As I said, it can add a bit of perspective to how people see things though.

Of course you are right in that respect. I imagine a lot of the negative vibes that people put forward here could be caused by returning home from matches with nothing but defeat. I know that when I went all the way to the Sunderland game I felt miserable after it. Also felt pretty bad after the Portsmouth home game as well. When you're at home you can switch off a bit more. Doesn't mean I do mind...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 16:39

i go to all home games
all home cup games
2-3 reserve games every year
2-3 away games each year

if that helps people judge my opinions better

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 16:44

Royal Rother I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that a lot of it is almost word for word what I've been saying for the last 6 months. 8) :wink:

How many times do we not add to, or strengthen, the team though?

The longer we leave it to bring in the right players then the bigger the problem becomes when the next window comes around.

If we can't find the perfect 'fit' maybe we have to shift our expectations a bit and compromise so that we don't end up in the situation we find ourselves in tonight. That is having one recognised centre half available for an FA Cup tie and probably not wanting to play him because if he gets injured we going to be up a smelly creek without the proverbial paddle.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 16:45

brendywendy i go to all home games
all home cup games
2-3 away games each year

Personally I discounted your opinions long ago.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Jan 2008 16:49

Let the slanging match begin...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 15 Jan 2008 16:53

Royal Rother
Archie's penalty

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that a lot of it is almost word for word what I've been saying for the last 6 months. 8) :wink:

Then why did Coppell come out just months ago and admit what a big mistake he'd made in the summer by not signing anyone?

You can't say he didn't say all the things he did.

He admited he made the decsions not to sign anyone in the summer, that he could now see what a mistake that was and that he assured everyone that in January he would make up for those mistakes and that we needed at least 3 players?

So what's changed?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 16:54

Hoop Blah
brendywendy i go to all home games
all home cup games
2-3 away games each year

Personally I discounted your opinions long ago.

of course of course

likewise.

i gave the info for any newbies who didnt know :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2008 17:34

SpaceCruiser
Dr Hfuhruhurr And, really as has been said before, very few are calling for Coppell Out.

You're right, only twelve people voted in favour of sacking him.

And eleven of them wree Tredder and the other one was Kes. :lol:

In fact, NO ONE has actually said they want Coppell out, have they?

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 15 Jan 2008 17:36

Royal Rother
Archie's penalty

Then why did Coppell come out just months ago and admit what a big mistake he'd made in the summer by not signing anyone?

He admited he made the decsions not to sign anyone in the summer, that he could now see what a mistake that was and that he assured everyone that in January he would make up for those mistakes and that we needed at least 3 players?

So what's changed?

Are we slowly coming to the conclusion that the more transfer windows we miss out on, the more likely we are to come to a transfer window in the future and splurge out on 7 players in one go.

Because Im not sure I would like that,

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 15 Jan 2008 17:36

Hoop Blah I thought most of the 'negative' posters were being reasonably balanced and saying, words to the effect of, we have a good chance of being relegated if we carry on like we are and don't do something to add to the squad in this window.

That's been jumped on by many of the apologists and RTG's to the extent that views have been polarised so that you think we're fine and dandy or doomed to relegation. Dirk, your post just exemplifies how it's neigh on impossible to voice an opinion right now without it being pigeon holed into one camp or the other.

Personally, I keep trying to repeat my feeling that we are right in the midst of a serious relegation battle. The club needs to reinforce a woefully under strength squad in order to try and reduce the chance of relegation. I'm still of the opinion that I think we'll be unfortunate to go down because I think at least 3 teams will finish below us BUT with the addition of 2 or 3 players in the right positions who can step into and hopefully improve the side NOW we'll be in a better position to ensure we have more than 3 teams below us.

This place is getting more and more like a tabloid/x-factor type pantomime with all the instant polarisation of all posts.

Very insightful post. There is nothing wrong with being in a relegation battle. As many others have pointed out prior, this is the best stretch in the history of the club. So many of the supporters have stuck with the club through bad times and good. It really is an exciting time to be a Reading fan. The amazing championship season, the first time in the top flight of English football and now our first relegation battle to survive.

Bring

It

On
Last edited by seahawk10 on 15 Jan 2008 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 17:36

Royal Rother
Archie's penalty

So what's changed?

aaaahhhhhh

nothing

we did sign three players in the summer

damn circular arguments :wink: