Bikey

162 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bikey

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Feb 2008 08:11

CMRoyal
I'm not exaggerating - this was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen a player do. .

I remember a Haiti footballer, who was lining up in a wall, when the whistle blew ran out and booted the ball up the pitch before his opponent could move.

Classic.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 08 Feb 2008 08:42

im not going to be like the rest of you and slate Bikey off..

Just sat and watched the video with my dad and a collegue, we all think it was rather random to just go up and push someone, we think that maybe something was said to Bikey from the paramedic person, for him to react like he did.

We dont know why he did it, and probably will never know.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 08 Feb 2008 08:42

Mrs Butler im not going to be like the rest of you and slate Bikey...

Just sat and watched the video with my dad and a collegue, we all think it was rather random to just go up and push someone, we think that maybe something was said to Bikey from the paramedic person, for him to react like he did.

We dont know why he did it, and probably will never know.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Feb 2008 08:49

Gordons Cumming
CMRoyal
I'm not exaggerating - this was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen a player do. .

I remember a Haiti footballer, who was lining up in a wall, when the whistle blew ran out and booted the ball up the pitch before his opponent could move.

Classic.

I think it was actually Zaire wasn't it, Gordons? In the 74 World Cup against Brazil.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 08 Feb 2008 08:51

To be honest this will get blown out of proportion. The Cameroonian Pysio was clearly trying to attend to the player but was being blocked off by people who were just trying to bundle him on a stretcher. I have never seen an incident before where the stretcher bearers have attended an injury before the team pysio. Can you imagine a Premiership game where John Fern trots on to the pitch to treat an injury, nobody really sure how serious it is at this stage, only to find that St Johns Ambulance have already scampered on with a stretcher, thrown the injured player on to it and moved him to the side of the pitch. Oh and as cynical as it may sound, it is a tounement held in Ghana, with Ghanaian stewards attending a semi final where Ghana are 1-0 down in stoppage time, maybe, just maybe, the stewards were acting irresponsibly and unprofessionally.

Bikey was always going to get sent off for what he did, however it looks far worse than it actually was.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Feb 2008 08:53

This incident is just a microcosm of Africa as a whole IMHO.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 08 Feb 2008 08:55

Maguire This incident is just a microcosm of Africa as a whole IMHO.

Agreed, that shove was rather poignant and had been brewing for some time.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Feb 2008 09:03

CMRoyal
Gordons Cumming
CMRoyal

Classic.

I think it was actually Zaire wasn't it, Gordons? In the 74 World Cup against Brazil.

You're right.

I stand corrected.

Was a great moment of madness only surpassed by our own Andre.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Feb 2008 09:07

Gordons Cumming
CMRoyal I think it was actually Zaire wasn't it, Gordons? In the 74 World Cup against Brazil.

You're right.

I stand corrected.

Was a great moment of madness only surpassed by our own Andre.

This one, in fact : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDXkVGpMpc

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Feb 2008 09:12

Hahnemann's Hairdresser To be honest this will get blown out of proportion. The Cameroonian Pysio was clearly trying to attend to the player but was being blocked off by people who were just trying to bundle him on a stretcher. I have never seen an incident before where the stretcher bearers have attended an injury before the team pysio. Can you imagine a Premiership game where John Fern trots on to the pitch to treat an injury, nobody really sure how serious it is at this stage, only to find that St Johns Ambulance have already scampered on with a stretcher, thrown the injured player on to it and moved him to the side of the pitch. Oh and as cynical as it may sound, it is a tounement held in Ghana, with Ghanaian stewards attending a semi final where Ghana are 1-0 down in stoppage time, maybe, just maybe, the stewards were acting irresponsibly and unprofessionally.

Bikey was always going to get sent off for what he did, however it looks far worse than it actually was.

At last. Good on you.

And oh shit - I see I agree with Ideal (kind of).... :o (a little more politely of course).

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 08 Feb 2008 09:17

voice of experience

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 08 Feb 2008 09:18

5 Pages of sh*t just to talk about Bikey being sent off in some crappy Tournament???
Who cares. God you can tell there's not much excitement at Reading FC when there is 5 pages of this rubbish.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Feb 2008 09:19

Ideal Ghana are at home. Somehow the personell GET IN THE WAY of the Cameroon physio's, and PREVENT THEM from doing their work.
Presumably they did this on purpouse to get the player out of the way so Ghana could have a better chance of equalising. It was unfair, unsportsmanly and I certainly understand how their behaviour provoked such great anger in Andre Bikey.
Although he should have restrained himself and controlled his temper, I fully understand why he did what he did, because those assholes were behaving in a totally unsportsmanly way.

I don't normally agree with you, but on this one I will. You can clearly see that the steward/first aid helper is trying to get the Cameroon physio out of the way and Bikey on seeing this decides to intervene. Maybe not the most intelligent thing to do but I can understand why he did it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Feb 2008 09:20

Wax Jacket

voice of experience

If only a remnant of colonialism could relate to them on their level somehow

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Feb 2008 09:29

Wycombe Royal
Ideal Ghana are at home. Somehow the personell GET IN THE WAY of the Cameroon physio's, and PREVENT THEM from doing their work.
Presumably they did this on purpouse to get the player out of the way so Ghana could have a better chance of equalising. It was unfair, unsportsmanly and I certainly understand how their behaviour provoked such great anger in Andre Bikey.
Although he should have restrained himself and controlled his temper, I fully understand why he did what he did, because those assholes were behaving in a totally unsportsmanly way.

I don't normally agree with you, but on this one I will. You can clearly see that the steward/first aid helper is trying to get the Cameroon physio out of the way and Bikey on seeing this decides to intervene. Maybe not the most intelligent thing to do but I can understand why he did it.

That looks like what was happening.

I can see an additional ban being on the cards though as this is the sort of thing that they get all uppity about.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Feb 2008 09:30

Silver Fox
Wax Jacket

voice of experience

If only a remnant of colonialism could relate to them on their level somehow

I look forward to seeing a picture of Waxjers standing outside a mud hut holding a spear and wearing one of those sleeveless Cameroon shirts in the near future.

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 08 Feb 2008 09:36

LOLOL legend

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 08 Feb 2008 09:37

An override of passion and you start calling him an idiot. Get a grip. We need some more passionate fans. FACT

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Feb 2008 09:38

what a pratt

was just starting to think bikey should be put in a CB when he returns, and he goes and sets himself back, by doing the second most stupid thing ive ever seen on a football pitch

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 08 Feb 2008 09:57

brendywendy what a pratt

was just starting to think bikey should be put in a CB when he returns, and he goes and sets himself back, by doing the second most stupid thing ive ever seen on a football pitch

Really? That was more stupid than Dyer and Bowyer tearing away at each other over an off the ball incident when playing for the same team? More stupid than Wally Downes' tiff with Neil Warnock last season (Wally and Bikey both shoved someone remember, however as it was 'nasty Neil' on the recieving end Wally was lauded for it, naturally)? Was Eric Cantona's kung-fu kick into a supporters chest a distant second in the list of stupid things done on a football pitch to this?

The GHANAIAN official in question was clearly obstructing the Cameroon team pysio from treating a player in an effort to get the injured player off the pitch quickly. I don't know if there is a protocol that the stretcher bearers have to follow but I'm pretty sure that player safety is in there, where as 'get the oppo's player off the pitch ASAP, can't you see that there is only 2 minutes of injury time left' is not. It is a shame that Bikeys actions will be scrutinised here as opposed to the blatent unprofessionalism of the, I assume, supposedly impartial officials.

162 posts