Tommy Burns RIP

123 posts
royalsteve

Re: Tommy Burns RIP

by royalsteve » 15 May 2008 15:21

3 veesinarow
2 world wars, 1 world cup F*cking disgraceful how people decide to throw in their negative views about him at a time like this.

A top bloke, an awesome manager, a legend to many. Unlucky in his time at Reading. Had the balls to try to change things for us.

Shocking news, my heart goes out to his family.

And my thanks to him for managing my club.

:cry:

Couldn't agree more. Unbelievably poor postings on here from ANYONE who has said "RIP, but..." in any way that relates to his time here.
He managed OUR club - YOUR club - through a transitional period. He may not have won anything whilst with us, but for those of you with extremely narrow-minded and grudge-filled views of the man, he was part of our overall growth, whether you like it or not...and if you don't, then say nothing at the moment. Have some respect.

RIP Tommy Burns and condolences to your family.

Bit harsh....

Unfortunately for Reading fans we only saw him in what was probably the lowest point of his career as a manager...he did pretty well elsewhere...

Sure Reading were going though a transitional period, but he had the money to sort things.......although Burns problem was he brought in a lot of players who werent suited to the 3rd tier of English footy, some were shocking...mainly Scottish or Dutch or Uwe Hartenberger (Remember him!), El Kronjer (how ever you spell it (oh dear!), brayson (oh gear), murty (great!), Forster (great some of the time).....he spent alot of money too.....about £5-7 million in 18months, depending upon who you believe which was more than most 2nd clubs spent and comparable even to some preier league sides spending.

I also guess you never saw the games under Burns as Reading were truly shocking at the time and i couldnt see him turning it around.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 15 May 2008 15:37

royalsteve
3 veesinarow
2 world wars, 1 world cup F*cking disgraceful how people decide to throw in their negative views about him at a time like this.

A top bloke, an awesome manager, a legend to many. Unlucky in his time at Reading. Had the balls to try to change things for us.

Shocking news, my heart goes out to his family.

And my thanks to him for managing my club.

:cry:

Couldn't agree more. Unbelievably poor postings on here from ANYONE who has said "RIP, but..." in any way that relates to his time here.
He managed OUR club - YOUR club - through a transitional period. He may not have won anything whilst with us, but for those of you with extremely narrow-minded and grudge-filled views of the man, he was part of our overall growth, whether you like it or not...and if you don't, then say nothing at the moment. Have some respect.

RIP Tommy Burns and condolences to your family.

Bit harsh....

Unfortunately for Reading fans we only saw him in what was probably the lowest point of his career as a manager...he did pretty well elsewhere...

Sure Reading were going though a transitional period, but he had the money to sort things.......although Burns problem was he brought in a lot of players who werent suited to the 3rd tier of English footy, some were shocking...mainly Scottish or Dutch or Uwe Hartenberger (Remember him!), El Kronjer (how ever you spell it (oh dear!), brayson (oh gear), murty (great!), Forster (great some of the time).....he spent alot of money too.....about £5-7 million in 18months, depending upon who you believe which was more than most 2nd clubs spent and comparable even to some preier league sides spending.

I also guess you never saw the games under Burns as Reading were truly shocking at the time and i couldnt see him turning it around.

First of all Uwe was signed by Mark McGhee - secondly he never played under Burns.

But the point is he managed our club and tried his best - it didnt work out, but why dwell on that - I remember him briefing the reading supporters on the South Bank when we were about to be relegated - he seemed a good bloke and he has died of cancer - which is a terrible terrible shame....

anyone suggesting otherwise or making snide comments need to realise that there is more to life than football.

RIP Tommy.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 15 May 2008 16:21

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 May 2008 16:35

Graeme Murty, the most likeable person I've ever met in football, has called Burns the most likeable person he's ever met in football

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 402589.stm

If only Burns hadn't listened to the HNA posters telling him to spend his way out of trouble...

wiggso

by wiggso » 15 May 2008 16:55

RIP
a sad loss for football

remember him playing in a testamonial match for the groundsman (cant remember his name Gorden neat was it????) at elm park when he was manager, looked bloody good, pinged one into the top corner from miles out.

my condolences to his family

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 15 May 2008 16:56

Uke Graeme Murty, the most likeable person I've ever met in football, has called Burns the most likeable person he's ever met in football

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 402589.stm

If only Burns hadn't listened to the HNA posters telling him to spend his way out of trouble...

lol. Was that when Spacey was only in double posting figures?

size 12

by size 12 » 15 May 2008 17:18

Just before his appointment as Reading manager was confirmed, I believe he watched a game from the South Bank (a home defeat vs Huddersfield) and he was quoted as saying what a hotbed of football passion Reading was.

The man lived for football, a very sad loss

Did anyone hear Strachan's press conference at lunchtime about this? He was sniffing back tears all the way through, very moving

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 May 2008 17:20

Gone to where the good people go

R I P

Crossbar Challenge

by Crossbar Challenge » 15 May 2008 17:34

RIP

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 15 May 2008 17:48

RIP

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 15 May 2008 17:54

royalsteve I also guess you never saw the games under Burns as Reading were truly shocking at the time and i couldnt see him turning it around.

Saw most of them... as well as an awful lot of games since my first in 1967. It's just not right to say "farewell, Tommy, you were shit, RIP" even if the record whilst he was here wasn't good and, yes, of course some of the "football" in the early days of the Mad Stad was appalling. Why does that have to be added as an epitaph?

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 15 May 2008 17:56

RIP - i remember as a youngster seeing Tommy in a motorway service station up near manchester. He was clearly with friends and completely out of the Reading FC environment, but was happy to chat to me, give me an autograph, and he came across as an absolutely lovely bloke. I know the season is over - but if it hadn't of been i'd like to think we'd have had a minutes silence for someone who not so long ago was in charge of our football club. Puts it all in perspective rather.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 May 2008 17:57

Thought Burns was unlucky when he managed Reading. Both Murts and Fozzy suffered a lot of injury problems so he would rarely have been able to pick his best side...those that are so critical should remember that.
As with Ian Porterfield he has sadly died at a very young age.

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 15 May 2008 17:58

Crap manager. Top bloke.

Only one really matters when all is said and done.

Rest in Peace Tommy.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 15 May 2008 18:13

When Hicks went up... Crap manager. Top bloke.

Rest in Peace Tommy.

He wasn't though, just didn't fulfill his potential with us. As others have said, not sure his style was suited to the 3rd tier of English football.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 15 May 2008 18:40

I met him a couple of times and thought what a thoroughly nice man he was.

I was sad when it didn't work out for him at Reading, and shocked with JM let him go. I was in a minority perhaps, but at the time I felt he could have been given a little longer.

Average

by Average » 15 May 2008 18:53

RIP
He did the best he could with RFC at the time. He gave us Murty.

SirGarth

by SirGarth » 15 May 2008 19:03

He was actually the first step on the way back up from all the damage Terry the Taxi caused Reading.

Quality man - RIP -

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 May 2008 20:32

Rawlie19
When Hicks went up... Crap manager. Top bloke.

Rest in Peace Tommy.

He wasn't though, just didn't fulfill his potential with us. As others have said, not sure his style was suited to the 3rd tier of English football.
It wasn't just his style of football, it was that he didn't appear to know the ability of players at that level, nor how much he should spend on them, resulting in him paying vast fees for players that weren't good enough for the division.

It was odd, but every single time I heard him speak I couldn't help be struck with a feeling that he was a man who would organise everything, and get everything working just how he wanted in. He sounded and acted like a top class manager.

Then you saw the way we played and the players he bought, and it just didn't seem possible.

I think he can take a lot of credit for the way we are set up behind the scenes (and perhaps inadvertently for our (until now) successful way of conducting ourselves financially) and also introcing ideas such as sports science - even if the healthy eating regime he brought in was rather undermined by the players tucking into pies and chips at the safeway cafe after training.

dogmark01

by dogmark01 » 15 May 2008 23:09

R.I.P

123 posts