An official thank you to the parking space crew.

Russell Street

Re: An official thank you to the parking space crew.

by Russell Street » 14 Mar 2009 21:56

Turns8
Southbank Old Boy We might not have had quite a successful season this year, but instead of having a squad that is definately missing something and a manager that seems likely to leave at the end of the season, which will result in even more rebuilding being required, we mightve spent the summer and this season starting a new era with a new plan

We might have lost a couple more players, we might have kept a few more, but I am pretty damn sure we would have bought in players with more of a plan for the long term in mind

Good post....

full of the usual...if we did this...if we did that... :roll:

I just wish I had picked different numbers tonight on the lottery and then who knows...but I didn't...but then that's life...

Realistically....how much money do you think we should have spent in the summer ?and can you list some players who would have been obtainable....There is alittle bit more to signing players, than just going out there and getting them...

Oh and say we had spent £20m on 7 or 8 players and we were currently sat in the bottom 3 would you be banging on about the waste of money new signings or would you be saying...it's such a shame it hasn't worked out....hmmm, I'd wager I would know the answer :roll:

Why, what were the numbers?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2009 21:59

Russell Street
Turns8
Southbank Old Boy We might not have had quite a successful season this year, but instead of having a squad that is definately missing something and a manager that seems likely to leave at the end of the season, which will result in even more rebuilding being required, we mightve spent the summer and this season starting a new era with a new plan

We might have lost a couple more players, we might have kept a few more, but I am pretty damn sure we would have bought in players with more of a plan for the long term in mind

Good post....

I just wish I had picked different numbers tonight on the lottery and then who knows...but I didn't...but then that's life...

Realistically....how much money do you think we should have spent in the summer ?and can you list some players who would have been obtainable....There is alittle bit more to signing players, than just going out there and getting them...

Oh and say we had spent £20m on 7 or 8 players and we were currently sat in the bottom 3 would you be banging on about the waste of money new signings or would you be saying...it's such a shame it hasn't worked out....hmmm, I'd wager I would know the answer :roll:

Why, what were the numbers?

9, 16, 25, 29, 31 & 37 Bonus 24

I had

10, 15, 24, 30, 32 & 38 :roll:

Life sucks :cry:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 22:23

Turns8

Good post....

I think there were players around during the summer that wouldve strengthen our squad

Many have been discussed on here, the likes of Marvin Elliot, Ben Watson, Nick Carle, Forest signed Guy Moussi for a free over the summer and he looked good on that first day, a proper physical defensive midfielder, Chris Eagles, Wayne Routledge, Bothroyd moved for a pittence and has been an effective target man etc etc

Players are out there, we are missing types of players and have been for a long time

Managers are the ones who should know the market and be able to go for players we need, we havent really done that much over the last couple of seasons

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2009 22:26

And yet, have we really done that badly?.....................

for every winning team there is a losing team....for every Champion there are 19 runners up etc etc

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2009 22:43

Southbank Old Boy
Turns8

Good post....

I think there were players around during the summer that wouldve strengthen our squad

Many have been discussed on here, the likes of Marvin Elliot, Ben Watson, Nick Carle, Forest signed Guy Moussi for a free over thesummer and he looked good on that first day, a proper physical defensive midfielder, Chris Eagles, Wayne Routledge, Bothroyd moved for a pittence and has been an effective target man etc etc

Players are out there, we are missing types of players and have been for a long time

Managers are the ones who should know the market and be able to go for players we need, we havent really done that much over the last couple of seasons

Boothroyd bet he's on a higher wage than we would contemplate offering him...Watson always wanted a move to the Premier..hence why Warnock froze him out...Eagles wouldn't move south permanently...Routledge..bad boys with attitude don't work in our team...Moussi....some unknown...no different to Cisse really...

Players might be out there but those you have listed are no different to us signing N Hunt, Armstrong etc....there is a squad budget it's not like a bottomless pit...would we really want a squad of 50 players...one for pretty much every occasion...we would need to shift some of the players we already have...and it would appear no one wants the likes of Harper, Hunt etc...

It's better to have a settled squad and trying to play effectively than adopting a knee jerk reaction and spending on players all the time...

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 22:52

We didnt address the glaring weaknesses in the squad though

We are missing a physical player in the middle (Cisse isnt that type of player) and we havent got different types of forwards, we have centre backs that either the manager doesnt trust or dont compliment each other well enough. We have had this situation since the end of the first season in the Prem

You can pick holes in the players I mentioned, they were only vague examples of the type of players that were about and moved on or were tipped to, but they show that clubs manage to attract players. Some pay off and of course some dont, but just dont seem to try to address the problems we have

As for the likes of Bothroyd and Routledge being players with attitudes, that might be true, but Coppell has signed these types in the past, and we cant buy perfect specimins because we arent Chelsea or Utd etc. Your just giving excuses

I think we are something like top 3 or 4 payers in this league so wages shouldnt be problem. I bet there arent many, if any, players on more money that Doyle and Hunt playing against us

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2009 22:58

Southbank Old Boy We didnt address the glaring weaknesses in the squad though

We are missing a physical player in the middle (Cisse isnt that type of player) and we havent got different types of forwards, we have centre backs that either the manager doesnt trust or dont compliment each other well enough. We have had this situation since the end of the first season in the Prem

You can pick holes in the players I mentioned, they were only vague examples of the type of players that were about and moved on or were tipped to, but they show that clubs manage to attract players. Some pay off and of course some dont, but just dont seem to try to address the problems we have

As for the likes of Bothroyd and Routledge being players with attitudes, that might be true, but Coppell has signed these types in the past, and we cant buy perfect specimins because we arent Chelsea or Utd etc. Your just giving excuses

I think we are something like top 3 or 4 payers in this league so wages shouldnt be problem. I bet there arent many, if any, players on more money that Doyle and Hunt playing against us

Most of the QPR squad probably are!!!! isn't that where Routledge ended up

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 23:02

Turns8 Most of the QPR squad probably are!!!! isn't that where Routledge ended up

why do you say that?

they havent really been splashing the cash by any stretch of the imagination

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2009 23:21

Southbank Old Boy
Turns8 Most of the QPR squad probably are!!!! isn't that where Routledge ended up

why do you say that?

they havent really been splashing the cash by any stretch of the imagination

In transfer fees maybe not...but why else would certain players want to move to a club like that unless they were being offered some form of financial incentive...bearing in mind QPR are officially the richest club in the world....proves that money doesn't always buy success.... :wink:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Mar 2009 23:28

Hindsight is of course a wonderful thing but in all honesty for the 200 eccentrics stood in the car park last May there were a good many others who had their doubts and it really didn't have to end up like this, this long painful goodbye. Coppell clearly wanted to walk at the end of last season he waved to us at Pride Park and he should have left then, a hero. Instead he was emotionally blackmailed into staying at the club. He had made terrible mistakes last season, an over-reliance on old favourites and both he and the club should have moved on after the failure to capitalise on our excellent first season in the Premier League.

Sure, we had an excellent first half to the season. But I came out of a good many of those home hammering wondering just how we had beaten the likes of Swansea 4-0, Derby 3-0 for example.....we hadn't looked several goals better on the day, so imagine what we would be like when we really did click :| . But instead we've suffered another tiresome, familiar and wholly predictable run of failures in the new year just like we did in '05 and '08. Coppell may well walk this summer 12 months later than he should have and this will most likely prove to be a wasted season which could have been used to rebuild. Contrary to popular belief, Steve Coppell is not the be all and end all of football management.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2009 23:31

floyd__streete Hindsight is of course a wonderful thing but in all honesty for the 200 eccentrics stood in the car park last May there were a good many others who had their doubts and it really didn't have to end up like this, this long painful goodbye. Coppell clearly wanted to walk at the end of last season he waved to us at Pride Park and he should have left then, a hero. Instead he was emotionally blackmailed into staying at the club. He had made terrible mistakes last season, an over-reliance on old favourites and both he and the club should have moved on after the failure to capitalise on our excellent first season in the Premier League.

Sure, we had an excellent first half to the season. But I came out of a good many of those home hammering wondering just how we had beaten the likes of Swansea 4-0, Derby 3-0 for example.....we hadn't looked several goals better on the day, so imagine what we would be like when we really did click :| . But instead we've suffered another tiresome, familiar and wholly predictable run of failures in the new year just like we did in '05 and '08. Coppell may well walk this summer 12 months later than he should have and this will most likely prove to be a wasted season which could have been used to rebuild. Contrary to popular belief, Steve Coppell is not the be all and end all of football management.
nicely put

but the alternatives are more worrying

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 23:33

"certain players"

Who do you mean? The likes of Gavin Mahon who couldnt get in the Watford team last season, Routledge who moved to Villa for a pittance and couldnt get a game there and whos other option was going to Cardiff in Jan, Lee Cook who couldnt get a look in at Fulham, Helguson who will never have commanded big wages at Fulham or Bolton

They havent signed players who are big names or are dropping down a division from even really getting in the squad whilst playing in the Prem

Who do you think is on these massive wages?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Mar 2009 23:36

AthleticoSpizz
floyd__streete Hindsight is of course a wonderful thing but in all honesty for the 200 eccentrics stood in the car park last May there were a good many others who had their doubts and it really didn't have to end up like this, this long painful goodbye. Coppell clearly wanted to walk at the end of last season he waved to us at Pride Park and he should have left then, a hero. Instead he was emotionally blackmailed into staying at the club. He had made terrible mistakes last season, an over-reliance on old favourites and both he and the club should have moved on after the failure to capitalise on our excellent first season in the Premier League.

nicely put

but the alternatives are more worrying

Only the ones that are reeled out whenver a job is free. There are always plenty of good candidates out there, some in the lower leagues who most wouldn't have heard of, there is always a rough diamond somewhere.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2009 23:37

Southbank Old Boy "certain players"

Who do you mean? The likes of Gavin Mahon who couldnt get in the Watford team last season, Routledge who moved to Villa for a pittance and couldnt get a game there and whos other option was going to Cardiff in Jan, Lee Cook who couldnt get a look in at Fulham, Helguson who will never have commanded big wages at Fulham or Bolton

They havent signed players who are big names or are dropping down a division from even really getting in the squad whilst playing in the Prem

Cerny,Lopez, Balanta, Hall, Ramage....

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 23:46

Turns8
Southbank Old Boy "certain players"

Cerny,Lopez, Balanta, Hall, Ramage....

So players who werent making it in the Prem and werent going to be on anything more than average squad wages at the likes of Wigan, Newcastle and Spurs then

How much do you think Lopez was/is on then? He might have been at Real a few years ago, but he isnt exactly a star is he?

As for Balanta, he came through the youth ranks at QPR and isnt exactly going to be on much!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Mar 2009 23:47

Handful of games left.

At least make a fight of this season and then work out what the club want from their club - 'the next Arsenal' or championship makeweights.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2009 23:48

papereyes Handful of games left.

At least make a fight of this season and then work out what the club want from their club - 'the next Arsenal' or championship makeweights.
sorry to say

the current squad will not fulfil either criteria

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Mar 2009 23:59

Southbank Old Boy As for Balanta, he came through the youth ranks at QPR and isnt exactly going to be on much!

Sorry, I take that back, he didnt come through the youth ranks, they apparently spotted him playing youth park football

Colombian-born striker Balanta, 17, has just signed a two-and-a-half year deal at Loftus Road. He was scouted while playing for Brunswick in the Harrow Youth League.
Balanta is now being tipped for a bright future after impressing in the youth side.

He said: “One of my teachers recommended me to someone at Rangers and they had a look at me. “I always wanted to work in sport, but I thought I would end up as a fitness coach in a leisure centre, not a footballer!

Like you say though Turns, probably one of those big earning players drawn to QPR for the mega £££s

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Mar 2009 00:08

That will be the QPR that is ahead of us in the league table then would it?

Or not?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 15 Mar 2009 00:12

West Stand Man That will be the QPR that is ahead of us in the league table then would it?

Or not?

Did you read the comments or just post drivel?

Neither Turns or I said they had put together a better squad than ours, Turns was just suggesting that we QPR were paying more than us and so we couldnt attract players

I was just suggesting that the fact they managed to sign a player that I think is one example of the quality of player that we should have been looking at shows that players are available if you want to bring them in