Hunty at Left Back

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hunty at Left Back

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 13:16

Southbank Old Boy
Wycombe Royal And that is why thay are in charge of this club and not you. We are not a club who sell on the cheap. I am sure they have lowered their valuation compared to last season but whilst there are numerous clubs sniffing around they are hardly going to lower the price are they? We have just been relegated and have a large hole in our finances so they are going to try and get as much as tehy possibly can for Shorey, just like they did with Kitson.

It amazes me that people can't see that.

Yeah because they did such a good job last season! :roll:

It seems we'll have to agree to disagree that the extra £££'s we might get from dragging out Shorey's move is more vital to the club than being able to go out and get the replacement we want for the long term benefit of the squad.

I'd love to know exactly what the Kitson deal involves by the way. My guesstimate is that we've got £2-2.5m and the other £2-3.5m will be in performance related payments. What those are based on would really define how good a deal it turns out to be.

EP said £4m up front for Kitson, probably in staged payments as nearly every transfer is.

3 clubs out of 20 have to be relegated. We have vastly inferior resources to many others and relegation was always going to happen at some point - that is just what a club of our size has to look forward to if we are in the Premiership. Very few clubs get to the Premiership and establish themselves there.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 05 Aug 2008 15:14

One Beer is never enough.
Bath Hoops I don't think Hunty will be suited to the role and its madness that we're even in this situation. Reading have known for long enough that Shorey wanted to go and to use the excuse that we would have paid for someone we didnt need if Shorey stayed is daft. What happens if he stays and gets injured in the first game, we'd still be left in the same position we are now. We should have brought someone with the money we got from Kitson, problem is we have a small club mentality and that isn't going to change. Playing people out of position isn't a sensible thing to do and certainly not wise in defence, Hunt will do his best as always but he will get skinned and then we'll be into a blame culture with the transfer window closed and no left back. Utter madness I just hope they have done their homework and get someone in now, its not too late and if we pay a preminum then its now more than we deserve given the cock we've got ourselves into.

In addition, Shorey's performances in the 2nd half of the season should have had us looking for a replacement anyway.

His attitude - which clearly reflected negatively in his performances (as opposed to Siders) should see him playing against Lewes reserves even if no-one comes in for him. Get someone fresh in who actually WANTS to play for us.

Spot on One Beer. If Shorey's move falls through and he ends up staying for one more season he will be no use to us whatsoever (based on last season's form) and should spend his time in our reserves.
We should have signed a replacement, as on last season's form he is not good enough for us.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 15:26

Broxroyal as on last season's form he is not good enough for us.

:lol: I really can't believe some of the things that people write on here.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 15:35

Wycombe Royal
Southbank Old Boy
Wycombe Royal And that is why thay are in charge of this club and not you. We are not a club who sell on the cheap. I am sure they have lowered their valuation compared to last season but whilst there are numerous clubs sniffing around they are hardly going to lower the price are they? We have just been relegated and have a large hole in our finances so they are going to try and get as much as tehy possibly can for Shorey, just like they did with Kitson.

It amazes me that people can't see that.

Yeah because they did such a good job last season! :roll:

It seems we'll have to agree to disagree that the extra £££'s we might get from dragging out Shorey's move is more vital to the club than being able to go out and get the replacement we want for the long term benefit of the squad.

I'd love to know exactly what the Kitson deal involves by the way. My guesstimate is that we've got £2-2.5m and the other £2-3.5m will be in performance related payments. What those are based on would really define how good a deal it turns out to be.

EP said £4m up front for Kitson, probably in staged payments as nearly every transfer is.

3 clubs out of 20 have to be relegated. We have vastly inferior resources to many others and relegation was always going to happen at some point - that is just what a club of our size has to look forward to if we are in the Premiership. Very few clubs get to the Premiership and establish themselves there.

Well, if Ive is correct, and that's not always the case, that's a slightly better deal upfront than I thought we got. I'm not sure it represents top whack for a proven goalscorer though. Still ,good business for the club, and I think it shows how moving players on is sometimes better than keeping them.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 16:04

Southbank Old Boy Well, if Ive is correct, and that's not always the case, that's a slightly better deal upfront than I thought we got. I'm not sure it represents top whack for a proven goalscorer though. Still ,good business for the club, and I think it shows how moving players on is sometimes better than keeping them.

It is top whack for an injury prone striker who had missed a third of our matches through injury during his time at the club, who is 28 years old (meaning that his resale value will be continually dropping), who really has just over 1 season of Premiership experience, and who had endured a long barren spell of goalscoring towards the end of last season.

I'm sure he will do a very good job for Stoke, but in terms of the fee I think get maximised what we could get for him.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 16:18

Fair enough.

What do you see as the going rate for a rather small, slightly one paced and lightweight full back who will be 28 next birthday and has just come off he back of being a pretty poor component of the second worst defence in the Premier League?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2008 16:28

£4-5M

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 16:31

Southbank Old Boy Fair enough.

What do you see as the going rate for a rather small, slightly one paced and lightweight full back who will be 28 next birthday and has just come off he back of being a pretty poor component of the second worst defence in the Premier League?

Around £3.5m. That price is pushed up because left backs are quite rare in football compared to other positions and because he assists in an abnormal number of goals (double that of any other Premiership defender last season). We also know how good he is when motivated and prospective purchasers will know this too.

Strangely you missed out possibly the biggest negative factor in his transfer fee - the length of contract remaining and I believe that is what is stopping other clubs matching our valuation, and his abilities that you mention.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 16:39

Wycombe Royal
Southbank Old Boy Fair enough.

Around £3.5m. That price is pushed up because left backs are quite rare in football compared to other positions and because he assists in an abnormal number of goals (double that of any other Premiership defender last season). We also know how good he is when motivated and prospective purchasers will know this too.

Strangely you missed out possibly the biggest negative factor in his transfer fee - the length of contract remaining and I believe that is what is stopping other clubs matching our valuation, and his abilities that you mention.

I had to stop myself before I started to move onto his plus points.

If a slightly crocked but effective forward is going for 4m+ add ons, and the price of forwards/goalscorers is so massively inflated, then I'm not sure our left back is going to fetch £3.5.

If he didn't want to leave and I thought he was going to be up for it, and his contract was a year or so longer, then I'd put him at more like £5-6m. Unfortunately that's not the case and so his value to us has to be less.

I'd say that I'd almost agree with your figure, but I think we'd do pretty well to get £3m flat for him now, with time running out a bit (I think we probably need him out more than potential buyers need him in). As I've said, I think we should be happy to take a lower figure just to allow us to get moving as the longer it goes on the more it hurts us.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 05 Aug 2008 16:44

On last season's form ( shorey)a club would not be interested in buying him , If he goes to Pompy I would give him a lift just to get rid of him.He has been excelent for us over the years , but since he threw his dummy over the failed Westsham move he has been a pile of sh*te.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Aug 2008 16:49

Royal Spangle but since he threw his dummy over the failed Westsham move

Hmmmmmmmmm, I don't recall him moaning and ranting to the papers about it. You must have imagined it.

hutch

by hutch » 05 Aug 2008 17:28

Leighton Baines is dump anyway and far too injury prone. I can see Hunt at left back short term because supposedly Coppell has got some targets in mind, we just need Shorey to pull his finger out and leave so we can all get on with the new season.

hutch

by hutch » 05 Aug 2008 17:35

Ian Harte for left back anyone? Would do well for a season or so. He had the good sense to turn down Wolves anyway.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 05 Aug 2008 17:39

hutch Ian Harte for left back anyone? Would do well for a season or so. He had the good sense to turn down Wolves anyway.

Not a bad shout. Only 30, good pro, excellent free kick delivery and most important, Irish and free transfer!

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 05 Aug 2008 17:41

Ian Harte? Yes please, just for his brilliant set piece delivery alone!

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 05 Aug 2008 17:53

SpaceCruiser , I didn't say he went to the papers or moaned about it ! :roll:
Ever since we turned Westsham down he hasn't played as good as previously ( or hadn't you noticed? )
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Oh .. and don't put words into my mouth

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 05 Aug 2008 18:19

double d i saw hunt in morrisons yesterday. he doesn't want to play LB

Was Alan Hansen coaching him?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Aug 2008 18:31

I for one would rather get in ian harte than play s.hunt at left back. just give him a one yr deal