Back from the game - D&R (A) Cup

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Back from the game

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2008 17:54

holsgrove breaks a leg ohhh great, according to sky sports marek could be out for 2 months... surely we have to look to get a CM either on loan permanently now.....

If true.....there goes are only quality CM (that Coppell will play)

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 13 Aug 2008 20:15

winchester_royal
holsgrove breaks a leg ohhh great, according to sky sports marek could be out for 2 months... surely we have to look to get a CM either on loan permanently now.....

If true.....there goes are only quality CM (that Coppell will play)

6-8 weeks... Why does Coppell not want to play our other 'quality CM' its crazy! Especially now he's injured, you cannot play Cisse/Harper as a partnership, we really need to bring in a few new players, everybody spends big, even Derby have, why are we always the ones that don't?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Aug 2008 05:29

kwik-silva Everybody spends big, even Derby have, why are we always the ones that don't?

So you are a new RFC fan, are you?

Look, we do it right. We know what we're doing. We know how to run a club.

All the other teams do not. They are idiots. They are screwing up. They don't have a clue, and they will all fold and be out of the league within 2 years.

Not sure who we will then play against. Maybe we will be playing against ourselves. But there ya go.

But, when you look at the players we've bought in the last year or two, you too would say 'no more'. So maybe its better we don't.

Then again, thats when we were in the Premiership, so I'm sure that said players will be exploding on to the scene and making a massive impact in the Championship any day now.

HTH.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 08:11

You have to question whether we yet again rushed a player back from injury and left him susceptible to a reoccurrence.

We're now left without our most creative midfielder for however long. I hope we learn from this mistake (I bet we won't) and make sure Marek is 100% right before putting him back into the team but I fear we won't because of a lack of options in the squad.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 14 Aug 2008 08:21

Southbank Old Boy

You have to question whether we yet again rushed a player back from injury and left him susceptible to a reoccurrence.

We're now left without our most creative midfielder for however long. I hope we learn from this mistake (I bet we won't) and make sure Marek is 100% right before putting him back into the team but I fear we won't because of a lack of options in the squad.

The only way this club can stop repeating the same recent mistakes time after time, is sack the manager and get someone else in charge.

We simply ain't gonna create chances, with Convey-Harper-Cisse-Kebe as the midield 4. You compare that midfield (on current form) to any other in the league and it's one, if not the worst there is. Coppell you are a genius.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 14 Aug 2008 08:25

Scarface
We simply ain't gonna create chances, with Convey-Harper-Cisse-Kebe as the midield 4. You compare that midfield (on current form) to any other in the league and it's one, if not the worst there is. Coppell you are a genius.

ALOL.......in that midfield four we have 2 mali internationals, 1 US international and a player both 'boro and Bolton were after. Most teams would kill for that.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 14 Aug 2008 08:35

winchester_royal
Scarface

ALOL.......in that midfield four we have 2 mali internationals, 1 US international and a player both 'boro and Bolton were after. Most teams would kill for that.

Who cares about reputations mate, football is played on grass not paper.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 08:36

winchester_royal
Scarface

Do you want to tell us when those players last represented their country and how establised they are for the footballing might of Mali?

Does playing for Mali make you any good?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Aug 2008 08:40

Scarface Convey-Harper-Cisse-Kebe as the midield 4. You compare that midfield (on current form) to any other in the league and it's one, if not the worst there is.

The sum total of current form being, what, 1 game?

You are hilarious.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 08:46

Royal Rother
Scarface Convey-Harper-Cisse-Kebe as the midield 4. You compare that midfield (on current form) to any other in the league and it's one, if not the worst there is.

The sum total of current form being, what, 1 game?

You are hilarious.

Personally I'd say current form is judged over something like a 3-6 month period.

Over that time none of our players have shown themselves to be in any sort of good form

Do you really think many clubs would want to swap their midfield for one containing Cisse and Kebe? Harper and Convey would be much sort after, but both have to bounce back to their better form, especially if we're to carry the other two.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Aug 2008 08:53

In my book a Current Form comparison of Championship teams cannot extend back to a season in a different league that ended 3 months ago. But there you go, that's just me.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 14 Aug 2008 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2008 08:53

Well over a 3 month period, we've still only played a couple of competitive games.

And over a 6 month period, only really Harper has played in midfield, so still hardly any evidence.

Not saying that we can't improve that area but am not totally writing any of those players off after 1 league game and 1 cup game, neither of which we lost.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 09:02

Cisse and to a lesser extent Jimmy have played in about as many competitive games as Harper over the last six months.

If they haven't played it's presumably because they weren't good enough to get in the side as, if I recall correctly, they were both fit.

RR, we're talking about the current form of the players themselves. I know it's slightly different comparing a player playing at one level to one playing at another level, but I think you can still judge on how well they do things. If you couldn't how would teams ever decide who to buy?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2008 17:56

Southbank Old Boy Cisse and to a lesser extent Jimmy have played in about as many competitive games as Harper over the last six months.

If they haven't played it's presumably because they weren't good enough to get in the side as, if I recall correctly, they were both fit.

RR, we're talking about the current form of the players themselves. I know it's slightly different comparing a player playing at one level to one playing at another level, but I think you can still judge on how well they do things. If you couldn't how would teams ever decide who to buy?

So Cisse and Kebe played in about 11 or more competitive matches in th elast couple of months last season?

Did they manage that many starts between both of them across the whole of last season? I'm not sure.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 20:13

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy Cisse and to a lesser extent Jimmy have played in about as many competitive games as Harper over the last six months.

So Cisse and Kebe played in about 11 or more competitive matches in th elast couple of months last season?

Did they manage that many starts between both of them across the whole of last season? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what your question or point is there.

Both players were with us and fit for the last 6 months. They've played a reasonble number of games in that period and the games they didnt play in they weren't selected because it was felt they weren't playing well enough.

Given that I think form is built up over a run of months and as I stated thats how I judge it, then I'd say their form isn't that great.

For the record

Cisse played in 9 games in the last 3 months of the season (Mar, Apr & May)
Kebe played in just 3, and so presumably wasn't in good enough form to get on the pitch (a decision I'd wholeheartedly endorse having seen all 3 appearances!)
Harper played in, as you said, 11 games

The point that was being discussed is that, on current form, our midfield is pretty poor. I was agreeing with that using my criteria of what consitutes current form. RR and Stranded have a different take on it, which is fair enough, I'm not sure what your view is Ian

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 14 Aug 2008 20:29

Whether they are on form or not, the original comment that our midfield is among the 3 worst in the division is nothing less than laughable.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 14 Aug 2008 22:23

winchester_royal Whether they are on form or not, the original comment that our midfield is among the 3 worst in the division is nothing less than laughable.

That's fair enough, but whatever you say we don't look like we have the quality, attitude, confidence, whatever you want to call it to bounce back. I firmly believe had Coppell addressed the squad problems last year we would of stayed up and again this year, a few additions in the right place could mean promotion. However none of that has happened, so I fear this season is a total waste of time.

Christ, we have a right winger who apparently is better on the left, a left winger at left back and the youth team back up for him (Kelly) is in fact a right back. The whole Shorey replacement shambles is an utter joke, every fan knew he would leave eventually, but Coppell somehow held on to some ricidulous notion he might stay.