527 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

by Arch » 17 Aug 2008 00:38

Tamworth_Royal
Arch
seahawk10 Actions speak louder than words.
In the end, this is the only truth that matters. The club's media utterances have been all over the place, and how anyone thinks they can make definitive sense of them is beyond me. They seriously need a press plan, because to use Platypuss' coinage it's "shamateurish". However, there was a small matter of a handy 2-0 win today, and I'll be doing my best to ignore the blather both from the club and on here and follow the football. Not saying the winning will continue, but that's where I'll be looking for the main evidence to form judgements about the club.

Love you Arch, you've reminded EVERBODY we won today........ and played well ..... fair play to you.

Noblesse oblige.

backintheday

by backintheday » 17 Aug 2008 01:02

Tamworth_Royal
Arch
seahawk10 Actions speak louder than words.
In the end, this is the only truth that matters. The club's media utterances have been all over the place, and how anyone thinks they can make definitive sense of them is beyond me. They seriously need a press plan, because to use Platypuss' coinage it's "shamateurish". However, there was a small matter of a handy 2-0 win today, and I'll be doing my best to ignore the blather both from the club and on here and follow the football. Not saying the winning will continue, but that's where I'll be looking for the main evidence to form judgements about the club.

Love you Arch, you've reminded EVERBODY we won today........ and played well ..... fair play to you.

Was a good win today but Mr Ego will be thinking," There you go, I was right. The squad is plenty big & good enough to get us back up!!! I'll buy another Bently instead!!
Don't get me wrong, I respect the bloke for all he's done for he club annd the money he's put in.
But the matter still stands that we've got a chairman that takes us for idiots and can not answer a straight forward question with a straight forward answer, without spouting his drivle and non-sense making s#@t!
Treat the fans with respect Jonny, where's the loot !?!?!?!

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 17 Aug 2008 01:03

Arch ............

Noblesse oblige.[/quote]
Is that a Red or a white ? what ever I'll be Russia you can be USA let's meet in Georgia and drink it :lol:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 17 Aug 2008 01:43

Tamworth_Royal Arch ............

Noblesse oblige.

Is that a Red or a white ? what ever I'll be Russia you can be USA let's meet in Georgia and drink it :lol:[/quote]
:lol: Excellent!

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 17 Aug 2008 03:02

This is getting absolutly ridiculous. I don't know in which direction to point my anger/arguments. It could easily be any of the following . .

- Those fans that believe reading have some bank account with many millions of pounds sitting in that Madejski is deciding not to use purely because of his philosophy that the game is filled with players who don't desever to be paid a wage. (No - the money is being spent on paying the wayges of the players who are on Premiership sized contract despite the club earning a Championship income. It is also helping to pay for things like expanding the megastore, improving the training ground and building the new media block and office space).

- Those fans that believe there is a Championship Manager Style list of players that are dying to come and join Reading (only been in the top tier of english football twice) Football Club. That believe there are players that are both affordable, can improve our current selection of players and would actually WANT to join Reading. Don't forget we had bids accepted for both Lescott (£4.5 Million) and Scott Brown (£5 million +). When an opportunity has arisen to buy a player that could improve the team there has always beeen the necessary finance in place e.g. Seol, Fae, Lita and Bikey just to name a few.

- Those fans that believe our Premiership endevours left us with a HUGE tresure trove which we are just choosing not to do anything with. Even after our hugely successful first season in the Prem running at any kind of a profit was a superb achievement. I understand a profit of aprox. 5 million was achieved. Take into account Fae, Bikey, Training ground and Media Block and this quickly disappears. I would be surpised if our 2nd season was anywhere near as profitable given the impact of improved contracts and our few January transfer window aquisitions.

- Those that believe wages will be 40% lower, where did this rumour come from?

- That belive Coppell has been encouraged to stay at the club because he has a tendancy to not spend huge amounts of money, rather than the fact he managed the team to an incredible Championship winning season and an almost unprecidented hugely succesfull first season in the Premiership.

- Those that seem to ignore the consequences of being financially iresponsible with regards to buying players and paying their wages. I would love to see your opinions on the club when we start the season -20 points due to administration. And to the IDIOT that tried to poke holes in the argument with the sarcastic line that "Reading will run out of teams to play against because they will all be in administration". This season I believe Luton, Rotheram and Bournemouth have all been docked points because of entering administration. Last season Leeds faced a point penalty. 4 Clubs being docked points in 2 years is almost unheard over the last 15 years or so. Clubs are starting to pay the price of their actions. The only reason as a Reading fan you do not have to worry about this is because of the astute financial planning of JM. Are you unfamiliar with the plight of Aldershot?

. . . The list goes on.

g

by g » 17 Aug 2008 04:30

yea deffo were gonan be the next leeds LOL

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 17 Aug 2008 04:32

voice of reason This is getting absolutly ridiculous. I don't know in which direction to point my anger/arguments. It could easily be any of the following . .

- Those fans that believe reading have some bank account with many millions of pounds sitting in that Madejski is deciding not to use purely because of his philosophy that the game is filled with players who don't desever to be paid a wage. (No - the money is being spent on paying the wayges of the players who are on Premiership sized contract despite the club earning a Championship income. It is also helping to pay for things like expanding the megastore, improving the training ground and building the new media block and office space).

- Those fans that believe there is a Championship Manager Style list of players that are dying to come and join Reading (only been in the top tier of english football twice) Football Club. That believe there are players that are both affordable, can improve our current selection of players and would actually WANT to join Reading. Don't forget we had bids accepted for both Lescott (£4.5 Million) and Scott Brown (£5 million +). When an opportunity has arisen to buy a player that could improve the team there has always beeen the necessary finance in place e.g. Seol, Fae, Lita and Bikey just to name a few.

- Those fans that believe our Premiership endevours left us with a HUGE tresure trove which we are just choosing not to do anything with. Even after our hugely successful first season in the Prem running at any kind of a profit was a superb achievement. I understand a profit of aprox. 5 million was achieved. Take into account Fae, Bikey, Training ground and Media Block and this quickly disappears. I would be surpised if our 2nd season was anywhere near as profitable given the impact of improved contracts and our few January transfer window aquisitions.

- That belive Coppell has been encouraged to stay at the club because he has a tendancy to not spend huge amounts of money, rather than the fact he managed the team to an incredible Championship winning season and an almost unprecidented hugely succesfull first season in the Premiership.

- Those that seem to ignore the consequences of being financially iresponsible with regards to buying players and paying their wages. I would love to see your opinions on the club when we start the season -20 points due to administration. And to the IDIOT that tried to poke holes in the argument with the sarcastic line that "Reading will run out of teams to play against because they will all be in administration". This season I believe Luton, Rotheram and Bournemouth have all been docked points because of entering administration. Last season Leeds faced a point penalty. 4 Clubs being docked points in 2 years is almost unheard over the last 15 years or so. Clubs are starting to pay the price of their actions. The only reason as a Reading fan you do not have to worry about this is because of the astute financial planning of JM. Are you unfamiliar with the plight of Aldershot?

. . . The list goes on.

I'm not reading all that

Would someone be so kind as to bulletpoint it

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Aug 2008 04:35

voice of reason This is getting absolutly ridiculous. I don't know in which direction to point my anger/arguments.

And you only joined HNA? a few months ago?

I guess we got to you early, huh? 8)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Aug 2008 04:43

There was a lot said about the money here (including the 40% cut) back in May:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... o_cut_back

I was surprised that JM, in the interview, went on about players' wages because I thought that was hardly going to attract any of our targets to come here. But then, would they have been listening?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Aug 2008 04:50

Sarah Star I was surprised that JM, in the interview, went on about players' wages because I thought that was hardly going to attract any of our targets to come here. But then, would they have been listening?

Whether they were listening or not, reckon many of them probably know what RFC are about. Players talk, and word gets around.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Aug 2008 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Aug 2008 04:53

...and when Tim Dellor asked Hahnemann what the difference was between playing in the Premiership and playing in the Championship, the first thing he said was "the wage packet" - to much laughter from behind him.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 17 Aug 2008 08:19

Any ideas how much a week we're saving alone on Bennett, Brown, Stack, Halls, Oster, Fae (presuming Nice are paying his wages), Little, Kitson, Shorey not being on the payroll? Noel Hunt must be on a packet!

There is money for wages, right there. Are other clubs doing it all wrong and we're doing it right?

Whilst we're not being mortgaged for success, the timing of this release of information is rather crass. He's a good businessman alright, not very good with the customers though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Aug 2008 08:29

40% wage decrease was mentioned by someone official at some point. There simply must be wage decreases in player's contracts, because there are wage increases.

And Bennett is still on the pay roll :?:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Aug 2008 08:43

voice of reason This is getting absolutly ridiculous. I don't know in which direction to point my anger/arguments. It could easily be any of the following . .

. . . The list goes on.

try this for the first quote on wages I can find, http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 23,00.html

As for docking points, that's because it was only done in the last few seasons, prior to that teams got away with it, now it is subject to a points deduction.

So the second season will have cost more due to salary increase??? There was a massive increase in television fees for last season in the Prem as the new tv deals came into effect.

Using Aldershot as an example is over the top, they did not go into administration, the club actually closed down, and a new club created, no one seemws to be suggesting that Mr Madejski goes rash with money and creates unmanageable debts.

Still as has been said by Mr Hammond the money from any players leaving will go to strengthen the team, only about £7m to spend then.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Aug 2008 08:52

Some people, like John Madejski have had to start with nothing and build up to where they are now.

Others, like most of our overpaid footballers and agents do not know how lucky they are.

Footballers do not even have to serve an apprenticeship and clean the top players' boots anymore. Ambition is borne out of hunger.

Why was Nicky Shorey not happy at Reading for a year? He was not 'earning' enough money, in his eyes.

Ditto the injury-prone Glen Little.

'Ambition' is sometimes a synonym for short-term greed.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Aug 2008 09:10

glass half full
Footballers do not even have to serve an apprenticeship and clean the top players' boots anymore. Ambition is borne out of hunger.

Yes they do. Well, maybe not the boots cleaning, but they do have to serve an apprenticeship.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Aug 2008 09:12

Madejski's position on the radio seemed to be that we gained nothing financially by being in the prem but lost £22m of revenue when we got relegated. It just doesn't hold water.

No one's suggesting we spend money we have not got but that's not what people are asking for, we just want to see some of the vast income from the prem, the parachute and the sales reinvested. Clearly we can afford the wages too given that some of the biggest earners have left the payroll.

I actually don't begrudge Mr Madejski taking back money he's previously invested, if that's what's happened. Financially, he doesn't owe the fans anything but he does owe them the truth and I simply don't believe we came out of the prem without vast profits in turns of income against expenditure.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Aug 2008 09:22

And can I add that any profit would have been after any loans had been repaid.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 17 Aug 2008 09:32

That man talks out his arse

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Aug 2008 09:33

I presume you're talking about Mr Mad??

527 posts