£23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

252 posts
Wealdstone at home

Re: £23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

by Wealdstone at home » 29 Aug 2008 21:34

pearcetom i think next time he comes on the pitch looking to get a standing ovation, we should all stand up and turn our backs. :evil: :lol:

Are you mad?

This is JM we are talking about not Robert Maxwell.

Di you only start supporting the club when we began our eigh match losing streak last season? :roll: :wink:

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 29 Aug 2008 21:38

Wealdstone at home
pearcetom i think next time he comes on the pitch looking to get a standing ovation, we should all stand up and turn our backs. :evil: :lol:

Are you mad?

Di you only start supporting the club when we began our eigh match losing streak last season? :roll: :wink:

im just sick of him taking all the money he can get and being a greedy bastard. i mean how dare he want to improve the town with the money he is getting from the likes of kits, shorey and former superman!

i know i will be turning my back at the palace game and im sure royalshow and brendywendy will join me!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 21:40

The last time something similar happened was in 1995 - I just hope Mr Mad has learned that little lesson well.
While we did get it right eventually, I'd rather we didn't have to go down again to be reborn thanks very much.

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 29 Aug 2008 21:44

pearcetom
Wealdstone at home

Are you mad?

im just sick of him taking all the money he can get and being a greedy bastard. i mean how dare he want to improve the town with the money he is getting from the likes of kits, shorey and former superman!

i know i will be turning my back at the palace game and im sure royalshow and brendywendy will join me!

Look, I know Reading is the centre of the universe and all that - but if JM was greedy he wouldn't be wasting his time in or on the town, the community or the club we love.

The man's a bloody star - and if you turn your back I think a poster of Robert Maxwell should be placed on the back wall to aid your perspective :wink:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Aug 2008 22:09

Arch We didn't get a team full of multi-million pound players by buying players who cost multiple millions of pounds.

EXACTAMONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2008 22:12

Now thats a plastic talking................ :roll:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Aug 2008 22:14

RoyalBlue
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe So if a new owner came in and said "Steve, here's £10m go and spend it." What do you think would happen?

The same if JM said to Coppell, "Steve, you've got £5m from the Kitson deal, go and spend it."

How do we know JM hasn't made the money avaliable, when we know Coppell won't spend it?

How do we know Madejski has made a realistic wage structure available, particularly in the light of his recent pronouncements on footballer's wages?

Coppell wouldn't be here if he had his hands tied.

We're not spending money cause Coppell doesn't want to. Which is his choice and he'll stand by it.

JM isn't cheating us imo. Yes he's silly with what he says, yes his PR is awful, but imo he's not ripping this club off. If Coppell wanted to spend the money, JM would provide it.

Coppell is not a manager who will splash the cash, you might not agree with that, but you have to accept that is the manager we have and no Chairman would change that.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Aug 2008 22:16

pearcetom im just sick of him taking all the money he can get and being a greedy bastard.

What? :|

pearcetom i mean how dare he want to improve the town with the money he is getting from the likes of kits, shorey and former superman!

Jesus Christ, can anyone believe this fool? Do you really think he's using Reading FC's money to do that?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 29 Aug 2008 22:19

Reading FC: The only club to get into the Premiership and then act like it was a major inconvenience.

I love this club but there's something going on behind closed doors that us mere fans will never be privvy to.
Last edited by Ups and Downs on 29 Aug 2008 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Aug 2008 22:22

Ups and Downs Reading FC: The only club to get into the Premiership and then act like in was a major inconvenience.

I love this club but there's something going on behind closed doors that us mere fans will never be privvy to.

I would love to write more than this and I feel that I'm letting myself down here

but

'greed

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2008 22:24

So Reading Football is a proper business (not a club supported by large donations from its Chairman) struggling to balance the books and apparently this was the situation even when we were enjoying the not inconsiderable riches associated with membership of the PL.

That being the case, why didn't its Chairman follow the example of some other clubs and sell off the naming rights for its stadium? That surely would have brought in a good few bob, particularly when we were in the PL.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell wouldn't be here if he had his hands tied.

We're not spending money cause Coppell doesn't want to. Which is his choice and he'll stand by it.

JM isn't cheating us imo. Yes he's silly with what he says, yes his PR is awful, but imo he's not ripping this club off. If Coppell wanted to spend the money, JM would provide it.

Well if you're right, and I'm still not convinced that you are, I'm reluctantly going to have to switch over to the 'Coppell Out' brigade!

Oh, and I would never suggest JM was ripping the club off (he couldn't even if he wanted to because in legal terms it's his property!), I just don't think he has been completely frank with supporters regarding his motives, nor do I think he has put his money where his mouth is.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 29 Aug 2008 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 22:26

Ups and Downs Reading FC: The only club to get into the Premiership and then act like in was a major inconvenience.

That strikes a chord here too.

Together with, how many other teams also turn down the chance to compete in Europe?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Aug 2008 22:28

JM does act like he was really surprised by the cost of Premiership football.

Coppell acted like a manger who really didn't want to be there.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Aug 2008 22:28

Platypuss

Together with, how many other teams also turn down the chance to compete in Europe?

Who says they turned down to compete in Europe? Are you talking about the Intertoto? Who wants to play competitive games over the summer instead of a proper pre-season?

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 29 Aug 2008 22:33

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe JM does act like he was really surprised by the cost of Premiership football.

Coppell acted like a manger who really didn't want to be there.

Where to 'mangers' prefer to be then? :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 22:34

SpaceCruiser
Platypuss

Who says they turned down to compete in Europe? Are you talking about the Intertoto? Who wants to play competitive games over the summer instead of a proper pre-season?

A proper pre-season like going to the Peace Cup? :|

Win a single two-legged tie and you're in the EUFA Cup qualifying round 2 - and we didn't want it. Now THAT was lack of ambition.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2008 22:35

SpaceCruiser
Platypuss

But isn't that exactly what we then went and did?!!

River Plate 1 Reading 0

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 29 Aug 2008 22:37

Tbh I'm glad that we didn't go into Europe. As if we lost a lot of games then that really wouldn't do the players any good over the pre-season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 22:38

rg6royal Tbh I'm glad that we didn't go into Europe. As if we lost a lot of games then that really wouldn't do the players any good over the pre-season.

Because the proper season just turned out so well otherwise.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Aug 2008 22:40

Platypuss
SpaceCruiser
Platypuss That strikes a chord here too.

A proper pre-season like going to the Peace Cup? :|

Win a single two-legged tie and you're in the EUFA Cup qualifying round 2 - and we didn't want it. Now THAT was lack of ambition.

The peace cup isn't a proper competitive competition, is it?

Coppell has been on record saying that we weren't ready to compete in Europe, that we didn't have a strong enough squad to compete in the Premiership, the FA Cup, the League Cup AND Europe. Maybe in the future we would be able to. Nothing to do with ambition, I'm sure Coppell would have loved us to play in Europe, but he didn't think us ready to do it.

252 posts