Relief as the window closes and the clouds clear

145 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relief as the window closes and the clouds clear

by Sarah Star » 02 Sep 2008 09:48

Are there any restrictions on the loan system - time limits etc?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 02 Sep 2008 09:49

Sarah Star
Focher despite many negative posts admittedly from myself, having kept all our current players and having seen the emergence of the likes of Pearce and Karacan (and hopefully more), im a very optimistic Reading fan.

We will probably get twatted in our next game :x

That's the problem isn't it. Most of us are feeling quite content after two good wins and not losing another key member of the team. If we lose any of our next few matches it'll be back to 'why didn't we do something in the transfer window'.

You are probably right :wink:

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 10:06

Huntley & Palmer LOL @ Streets, more personalities than Andy Goram

How?

I've stuck by the fact that we have a very good 11. But the bench was weak and the squad was light. I still feel that.

Doyle is over rated, but never the less, an asset at this level.

I'd have snapped your arm off for £8m had it been offered for him. He isn't worth that, half even?

But the youngsters getting a game has filled me with some optimism for sure, and the signing of Armstrong is a cracking bit of business. Along with the imergence of Karacan and Pearce, it's like having signed 4 very good players with N.Hunt too.

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 10:07

Sarah Star Are there any restrictions on the loan system - time limits etc?

Isn't it for a further week and then only emergency loans?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Sep 2008 10:09

Streets

Emergency loans is the wrong name really. You can basically bring anyone in for a maximum 3 month period (93 days). The FL have to approve each one but I don't think they have ever turned one down.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 02 Sep 2008 10:15

I am happy to see the transfer deadline pass. Our squad is good enough to really challenge for promotion now. By the way - what does HTH mean?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 10:17

LOL at those who come out with negative predictions:

we will sell all our best players
we wont sign a recognised LB
we wont sign anyone at all
The kids wont play while coppell is in charge
etc etc

yet when these turn out to be absolute tripe
the posters dont say i was wrong, in fact they dont say anything at all, and just move on to another load of spurious whinges.

weird eh

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2008 10:25

Royal Rother
RoyalBlue How well our expectations have been managed downwards so that this morning we are celebrating the fact that, rather than adding some quality signings to our squad, we haven't sold off any more of our star players! Even I fell for it last night!!!

Amazing!
:lol:
Tell us, how did you drown your sorrows on the best day of your life?

Indeed, I hope Mrs RB keeps all sharp objects out of his reach.

If we could persuade Steve Coppell to take part in a smiling competition, I think RB would make a most worthy opponent :P

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 02 Sep 2008 10:30

Streets We're done until Christmas when all the rumours start flying around once again.

Doyle, Hunt and Harper are all still Reading players.

The side, or the starting eleven should I say, looks bloody strong.

The bench seems that bit stronger all of a sudden with the emergence of some fine youngsters and N.Hunt and Convey to come on and make an impression.

Suddenly the clouds clear and there is blue sky above the Madejski Stadium once more.

(I know the window is open for 20 more minutes but RFC have texted into SSN to confirm we are now closed for business) 8)

I would like Convey to come on and do an impression of a left winger.

I can't believe how worried I was when I heard Everton had made a bid for Hunt.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 10:32

Streets

Yes, but the word "emergency" is only there to fool FIFA - they are actually no different from any other kind of loan.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Sep 2008 10:34

So if we wanted, we could still go back to Arsenal for Gibbs? Not that we need him.

Not sure we really need anyone else now.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2008 10:37

Sarah Star So if we wanted, we could still go back to Arsenal for Gibbs? Not that we need him.

Not sure we really need anyone else now.

A squad can always be strengthened somewhere.

Its whether the improvement to the team/squad is worth the cost of bringing in/through the player.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 02 Sep 2008 10:39

As others have said,a good night for us not just for keeping certain players but knowing that we wouldn't have replaced them so on balance it must be better not to lose players.
I do fear that posters have got a bit carried away with performances at home to very moderate sides (although there are certainly other moderate sides so relegation isn't an issue)and conveniently forgotten the performances at Forest and Charlton.
I have settled on this consolidation view,i.e we are now here for a few years in The Championship to try to rebuild what we regrettably lost so quickly last season.

Whether we ever get back up is another matter because our squad has a real Championship look about it with a few oldies,Marcus,Ivar,Murts,Bryn and Duberry who surely will be finished within the next year or so, a few at or near their peak perhaps in Doyle, Harper,Hunt,Marek,a few young uns in Pearce,Karacan and Kelly and a number of uncertainties for differing reasons in Cisse, Long,Bikey,Rosenior,Kebe,Lita,N Hunt,Mooney and Convey.Our destiny will depend upon how these uncertainties do in the months ahead.
Not a relegation squad but also not an obvious promotion one either IMHO but as HR says this was the case 3 seasons ago and look what happened then.

I expect we will go through all the angst in January again but at least by then we should have a better idea of any promotion prospects and the club may well have told Doyle,Harper and Hunt that they can get their wish for Premiership football elsewhere as a reward for sticking around for the next 4 months.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Sep 2008 10:40

Woodcote Royal
Royal Rother
RoyalBlue How well our expectations have been managed downwards so that this morning we are celebrating the fact that, rather than adding some quality signings to our squad, we haven't sold off any more of our star players! Even I fell for it last night!!!

Amazing!
:lol:
Tell us, how did you drown your sorrows on the best day of your life?

Indeed, I hope Mrs RB keeps all sharp objects out of his reach.

If we could persuade Steve Coppell to take part in a smiling competition, I think RB would make a most worthy opponent :P

:lol: :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Sep 2008 10:42

Still think we may see a loan deal or two happen, i.e Lita going on loan somewhere, although PRem club can't make any loan deals is that right? Even so they may decide to loan him out a bit like last season.

Tiny bit disappointed they didn't try and get someone like Nugent in for a loan but again that still may happen.

Overall though a bit surprised at the lack of news regarding players leaving, only 1 bid for Hunt? That measly offer was never going to be accepted.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 10:44

thought it was derisory
we turned down bigger bids before, and with a couple of hours before the window shut offering 3.5M was a joke

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2008 11:14

Alan Partridge Still think we may see a loan deal or two happen, i.e Lita going on loan somewhere, although PRem club can't make any loan deals is that right? Even so they may decide to loan him out a bit like last season.

Tiny bit disappointed they didn't try and get someone like Nugent in for a loan but again that still may happen.

Overall though a bit surprised at the lack of news regarding players leaving, only 1 bid for Hunt? That measly offer was never going to be accepted.

I'll be surprised if we allow Lita to go to a side in our division on loan. Prem clubs can now do nothing until Jan.

Long may go somewhere though.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 02 Sep 2008 11:18

On the OS.
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 76,00.html

Coppell says that there was no deadline bids :shock:

He also goes on to say that he had replacements lined up....

rhroyal I am happy to see the transfer deadline pass. Our squad is good enough to really challenge for promotion now. By the way - what does HTH mean?

HTH = Hope That Helps.
Last edited by Mike Hunt on 02 Sep 2008 11:21, edited 2 times in total.

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 11:19

rhroyal I am happy to see the transfer deadline pass. Our squad is good enough to really challenge for promotion now. By the way - what does HTH mean?

Hope That Helps. HTH

Bob the Builder

by Bob the Builder » 02 Sep 2008 12:48

papereyes
Bob the Builder
FiNeRaIn Great smokescreen from the club officials again. Create a big storm about everyone coming in for our players to take the spotlight off the fact we've signed no one other than a striker from scotland, a sheffield united reserve player and a youngster from cork. Great tactics once again.

But we don't need to sign anyone, the squad we have is strong enough to get us promoted. The only position we needed was a left back and we've signed Armstrong. More than happy with what we've got.

I'd argue we still need that central midfielder we needed last summer.

But I'm confident Karacan will be more than able to do well in a decent number of games.

True, however we have Harps, Cisse, Karacan, Bikey, Gunnerson and Matejovsky, thats 6 central midfielders, having 7 in this division just wouldn't make sense.

145 posts