Leave Shane alone.

166 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Leave Shane alone.

by Ian Royal » 07 Oct 2008 22:23

Platypuss I'd still love to know where this "constant abuse" is.

Ipswich away, the guy sitting a few seats to my left. I don't imagine his tune would change much for any game, even if Long really was awful that day.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Oct 2008 22:26

Not strictly true AP. Apart frrom the ANC and Olympic Games Bikey has been available for selection for most of the time over the past two and a bit seasons but has been overlooked. This despite Sonko's serious injury and our woeful defensive record last season.
As for Long its hardly his fault Coppell preferred to play Doyle ahead of him even though it was obvious Doyle need to be rested earlier this year.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 07 Oct 2008 22:30

Shit Long.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2008 22:38

Alan Partridge If he's a frontline striker for this club, why has he never started 10 games back to back? Because he's not good enough.

He has his merits for 10-15minute cameo's but sorry if he's going to be our 3rd choice striker he HAS to offer a LOT more than that.

The much maligned Lita is 2 years i believe older than him, he has a 30 goal season under his belt, a 15 goal season for us including some of the best finishing I personally have seen from anyone in a Reading shirt. We have to forget about him because he's useless should be kicked out, offers nothing etc etc etc yet we should perservere with Long as a 'hot prospect' What has Long done over his now 4th season here to suggest he is more worth perservering with than Lita?

IMO neither are currently good enough and the thought of losing N Hunt or Doyle isn't worth contemplating.

Much as I really hate knocking any of our players, or being negative especially when a player is trying hard and especially one of our Irish heroes, I really can't argue with any of this.

Long, whilst a good youngster, is as yet nothing more than that. A good youngster we can occasionally cheer for, for his occasional great few minutes and odd goal but nothing more yet.

What has irked me has been the notion that he is in any way a frontline striker capable of filling in for one of the established strikers for any period of time.

I'm not slating him - I still like the guy and think he's done ok and took his goal well and may well blossom.

But as you say and I 100% agree with: the thought of losing the big boys isn't worth contemplating and I'd be quite upset if we considered him one of our main strikers who can step in if someone's injured or leaves.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 07 Oct 2008 22:44

Possibly because Lita comes across as an arrogant cock and Shane is a decent lad who SHOULD be given the chance. Lita has had his chances, been slapped on the wrist for them and still doesn't take heed. Shane needs nurturing more, seems a sensitive lad. Give him a bloody break. Many eat their humble pie on this board. We shall see what happens with Shane.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 07 Oct 2008 22:54

he is in his fourth season, he has had plenty of oppourtunities so he needs to go out on loan to a lower division club, discover how to play well from the start of the match instead of being an impact sub who doesnt create much of an impact and score some goals. he is lacking confidence so a loan would be perfect.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Oct 2008 22:59

This has a slight resembalence to chris crocker about brittany spears :lol:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Oct 2008 23:03

SLAMMED This has a slight resembalence to chris crocker about brittany spears :lol:

Would that be the North West French starlet or Iron Age remains?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Oct 2008 23:11

Uke
SLAMMED This has a slight resembalence to chris crocker about brittany spears :lol:

Would that be the North West French starlet or Iron Age remains?

Both

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Oct 2008 23:15

at this present moment in time he is a mid tabele championship team player at best but has the potential (i know it has been used enough next to shanes name) to ply his trade in the prem

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 07 Oct 2008 23:26

earleyroyal
ShinPad I agree and disagree in equal measure

How can you do that? :?

If he can do it - he should be prime minister.....hold on perhaps he is....

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 07 Oct 2008 23:27

I can still see Long's potential but I could see that 2 years ago and it hasn't grown into what I hoped it could become. He is great off the bench. Off the top of my head, equalizer at Derby that time, 2 against Derby to secure the title later that season. Turning the game on it's head against Bolton, scoring the winner with his first touch against Newcastle, setting up a winner for Hunt against Sunderland, setting up a sitter for Hunt against Blackburn, winning a penalty at Watford, setting up Cisse at Wolves and scoring against Burnley. For a player who never gets more than 10-20 minutes I'd say that's an impressive record.

However whenever he starts he is poor. A goal against Sheff Utd, another against Man City. What else? Looking out of depth, that's what. I feel we are to blame for this. When we went up the Premiership what would have really suited Long would have been loaned out to a lower Championship side who he could have played regularly for and gained experience and confidence, not to mention learning how to keep his energy up for 90 minutes. Instead he was restricted to 15 or 20 minutes here and there before occasionally being thrown in at the deep end. His first Premiership start was against Arsenal, how could we have ever considered him ready for that? He was in the Cork City reserves 12 months before.

For us to see what Long's capable he needs a proper run in the team. The problem is here and now N Hunt, Doyle and probably Lita have more to offer from the starting line up, and it's not about helping 1 player, it's about what's best for the team. He should be the one on loan at Norwich.

For now I'm happy for him to keep making his impact off the bench, but if anything happens Doyle or N Hunt I still don't think he's ready to make the step up into our first team, after 3 years here.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 07 Oct 2008 23:33

Yorkshire Royal If you'd see him play against Stoke away in the cup, you would come to the conclusion that he really shouldn't be a professional footballer.

I was at the Stoke match with a Morecambe fan. His words after the game were; "Lita is the worst striker I have ever seen at any level of football in my life, and I include the Uni Bond Premier." He thought Shane was ok, put in a good shift, as did I.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Oct 2008 23:40

Alan Partridge Sorry but some on here say well Lita's done nothing for 2 years, fair comment. Long's done nothing for 4.

But he's done more than Lita for nearly 2 years and Leroy has been as good useless in the same period.

All of Charlton, Greaves and Lineker were once better than any of our current strikers, would you like to see one of them replace Doyle?
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 07 Oct 2008 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Oct 2008 23:43

rhroyal However whenever he starts he is poor. A goal against Sheff Utd, another against Man City. What else? Looking out of depth, that's what. I feel we are to blame for this. When we went up the Premiership what would have really suited Long would have been loaned out to a lower Championship side who he could have played regularly for and gained experience and confidence, not to mention learning how to keep his energy up for 90 minutes. He should be the one on loan at Norwich.

I agree with this and rhroyal has spoken the most sense on this topic so far. Coppell rather sadly overrated Long's potential impact in the Premier League. Coppell has spoken before about Long's unorthodox start to life in football yet never gave him the chance to serve a belated (and truncated) apprenticeship elsewhere.

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 08 Oct 2008 00:07

loyalroyal4life at this present moment in time he is a mid tabele championship team player at best but has the potential (i know it has been used enough next to shanes name) to ply his trade in the prem

At this moment in time he is a top three championship team player and if he stays will be in the Prem next season

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 08 Oct 2008 00:17

There always seems to be a whipping boy on HNA. When I started it was Seol Ki-Hyeon. He was lazy, he didn't track back, couldn't cross, etc. Then it moved to Stephen Hunt. Runs around like a headless chicken, can't cross, no end product. Then it was John Oster's turn to be the target of the boo boys. I think the complaint about him was that he was just shite all around. Then the mantle was passed to Jimmy Kebe. He only had one good run, gets pushed off the ball, doesn't link up well, can't cross to save his life.

And now Shane Long, it it your turn.

Chin up young man. Better to be the focus of discussion than to realise no one cares. :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2008 00:39

Woodcote Royal
Alan Partridge Sorry but some on here say well Lita's done nothing for 2 years, fair comment. Long's done nothing for 4.

But he's done more than Lita for nearly 2 years and Leroy has been as good useless in the same period.

All of Charlton, Greaves and Lineker were once better than any of our current strikers, would you like to see one of them replace Doyle?

Nope, and I don't want Shane Long doing it either.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Oct 2008 08:29

1) Shane Long clearly hasn't established himself as more than an impact sub in four years. He's still regarded as 'potential', where he possibly should have pushed on from there.

2 I like him as an impact sub and if he's happy as that, then I can cope with that for another two years. However, we then need a competitive third striker who is pushing to start games.

3) That man could be Leroy.

3)b) That man probably won't be Leroy

4) Please don't start with Long though. Its been tried. I don't think it works.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 08 Oct 2008 09:02

i agree

the super sub knows what his job is and doesnt moan about it. hes not good enough at the moment to get in the first team, but he is good enough to make the difference between winning and loosing in the final 15 mins

also i played him at poker at a charity thing and he didnt beat me... so i like him (on the other hand glenn little knocked me out.. the arse :( )

166 posts