Our weak link is........THE CAPTAIN!!!!

133 posts
bishbosh92

Re: Our weak link is........THE CAPTAIN!!!!

by bishbosh92 » 08 Dec 2008 14:47

Alan Partridge
Dirk Gently
bishbosh92 The record may be the same.

But what about the individual players performance, if you compare those harper would be near the bottom!!

Not according to the ProZone statistics.

Someone attempting a creative forward pass that doesn't quite come off >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Someone making 10, 5 yard sideways passes a game.

The ProZone doesn't prove anything, if we used these sort of stats then you have to wonder why Bareclona or someone haven't come in for Hahnemann as he's been the best keeper in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons, hasn't he? :|
Exactly so im not goin by what prozone say.

In my opioion this year Harps what be Bottom

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Dec 2008 14:49

bishbosh92
Alan Partridge Someone attempting a creative forward pass that doesn't quite come off >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Someone making 10, 5 yard sideways passes a game.

The ProZone doesn't prove anything, if we used these sort of stats then you have to wonder why Bareclona or someone haven't come in for Hahnemann as he's been the best keeper in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons, hasn't he? :|
Exactly so im not goin by what prozone say.

In my opioion this year Harps what be Bottom

If it's all the same to you I'll take Steve Coppell and the coaches' opinions ahead of yours.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 08 Dec 2008 14:55

Anyone would if Steve thinks Harps is Playing good enough to start id take his word.

But my view would be no atm tho.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Dec 2008 15:05

Agreed with Dirk.

And there's nothing wrong with a sideways pass when that is the only pass that is on, especially as our game is all about moving the ball out to the flanks at the earliest opportunity. When will some people get it into their heads that Harper is playing the game he is told to play by the management?

There is no doubting that our win rate is lower overall with Harper in the team than when not:

W   D   L   Pts/Total    Win%
w Harps:      8   3   4   27/45        53%
w/o Harps:    4   1   1   13/18        67%
Total:        12  4   5   40/63        57%

However, that includes the quite awful start to the season. Since Harper has come back in, our record has been pretty much the same as the period when he was dropped:

10/08-20/09:    3   2   2   11/21   43%
27/09-25/10:    4   1   1   13/18   67%
28/10-06/12:    5   1   2   16/24   63%

Which suggests to me that Harper wasn't the problem at the start of the season.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Dec 2008 16:38

There is no doubting that our win rate is lower overall with Harper in the team than when not
:!:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Dec 2008 16:45

rabidbee Since Harper has come back in, our record has been pretty much the same as the period when he was dropped...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Dec 2008 16:51

loyalroyal4life
There is no doubting that our win rate is lower overall with Harper in the team than when not
:!:

Ah, selective quoting - a staple of HNA!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2008 17:06

Lita started in Forest & Charlton games
Long started in Ipswich game
Cisse was diabolical at the start of the season, couldn't pass at all and added very little else unlike now. He was involved in Forest & Charlton games
Hunt started at left back for Forest & Charlton

All of these are much more significant likely causes for poor form than Harper playing. Especially seeing as since these issues have been resolved, the results percentages pick up as ably demonstrated by Dirkers.

Feel free to come back with something more than "Harper is shit and can't tackle" lr4l

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Dec 2008 17:08

bunch o' harper hating morons!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Dec 2008 17:18

brendywendy bunch o' harper hating morons!

There is a difference between 'hating' and just preferring someone else in the team.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Dec 2008 17:26

Harper's shit and LOL at people who think you can deconstruct a football season like a mathematical equation. Bet you lot couldn't run 50 yards without keeling over.

Harper = WEAK. He needs to step up or ship off.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Dec 2008 17:28

Maguire Bet you lot couldn't run 50 yards without keeling over.

Harper can run all day and that's why he's in the team.

Reading are not Spurs or West Ham i.e we cannot have people in the team who need to be carried by the other players. That's why Matejovsky isn't in. HTH.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Dec 2008 17:36

Archie's penalty

Reading are not Spurs or West Ham i.e we cannot have people in the team who need to be carried by the other players. That's why Matejovsky isn't in. HTH.

Matejovsky doesn't need to be carried what a bizarre thing to say. :| I've only seen Marek play a few times but he gets up and down the park, he's not a complete luxury player like a Seol for example. Marek isn't the best defensively but neither is Harper, and no amount of hand waving and running can compensate a Sidwell esque player capable of stopping attacks. Hence why with 10 men, Coppell got Gunnarsson on in the middle and Harper out of it.

I would say at the moment Harper is being carried by his teamamtes (again) he is the sort of player that when he isn't at his best just doesn't do enough. He's not great defensively, and he's not great going forward so he doesn't bring all that much to the table apart from his energy levels. Matejovsky would bring another attacking dimension (especially at home) with Cisse or Gunnarsson being the more defensive of the two against Blackpool, Matejovsky given license to try and create it may help trying to break down what will be a defensive lineup from Blackpool. This man is a full international for a top country not some mickey mouse team like Ireland, he was rated highly enough by their management team to start the vast majority of Euro 2008 and before injury he was one of their better players (in also a defensive role!). How is he suddenly a 'passenger' :|

He's been injured so is waiting for his chance like Doobs did, I only hope his chance comes soon. This man *could* be a real top player in this league given a run of games and not using him at all will hurt Reading in the long term IMO.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2008 17:38

Maguire Harper's shit and LOL at people who think you can deconstruct a football season like a mathematical equation. Bet you lot couldn't run 50 yards without keeling over.

I think you'll find it was the Harper haters who brought up the statistics, we just proved their reasoning was flawed.

Even I can run 50 yards without keeling over, so that bit must be bollocks to.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Dec 2008 17:51

Alan Partridge
Archie's penalty

Matejovsky doesn't need to be carried what a bizarre thing to say. :| I've only seen Marek play a few times but he gets up and down the park, he's not a complete luxury player like a Seol for example. Marek isn't the best defensively but neither is Harper, and no amount of hand waving and running can compensate a Sidwell esque player capable of stopping attacks. Hence why with 10 men, Coppell got Gunnarsson on in the middle and Harper out of it.

I would say at the moment Harper is being carried by his teamamtes (again) he is the sort of player that when he isn't at his best just doesn't do enough. He's not great defensively, and he's not great going forward so he doesn't bring all that much to the table apart from his energy levels. Matejovsky would bring another attacking dimension (especially at home) with Cisse or Gunnarsson being the more defensive of the two against Blackpool, Matejovsky given license to try and create it may help trying to break down what will be a defensive lineup from Blackpool. This man is a full international for a top country not some mickey mouse team like Ireland, he was rated highly enough by their management team to start the vast majority of Euro 2008 and before injury he was one of their better players (in also a defensive role!). How is he suddenly a 'passenger' :|

He's been injured so is waiting for his chance like Doobs did, I only hope his chance comes soon. This man *could* be a real top player in this league given a run of games and not using him at all will hurt Reading in the long term IMO.

Well it's my opinion but glad to have got such a long explanation out of it :D

I thought Harps had a good game on Saturday and he also improved in the Second half against Coventry. I don't think Marek understands the system we play as well as Harps and finally to resort to cliche 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.' We don't look in any danger of going through a bad patch at the moment, indeed we seem to be more determined now than at any time since January-February 2007. All of this makes me query those who would change what we're doing (which I think would happen if we brought Marek in). You can see Coppell doesn't trust Marek that much due to his choice of subs.

And finally your comment on the Czech republic not being a 'mickey mouse' international team whereas Ireland are is quite frankly absurd. The Czech republic are at their weakest now as a team since before the 1996 European Championships. On the other hand the Irish are on the up with a world class manager and a team coming together.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 08 Dec 2008 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Dec 2008 17:53

Maguire Harper's shit and LOL at people who think you can deconstruct a football season like a mathematical equation. Bet you lot couldn't run 50 yards without keeling over.

harper =low to average prem midfielder/decent championship midfielder

plain weak is pushing it

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Dec 2008 18:21

Hmm, someone who's shone in European Championships and scored against Germany or a defensive midfielder who waves a lot and is weak as piss. Tough decision.

People who prefer sideways passing and hiding behind centre backs to someone who has a go and tries (and succeeds) in through balls and defence splitting passing clearly have never played the game to a decent standard and know nothing about the game.

Doyler

by Doyler » 08 Dec 2008 18:23

Captain Lager
bishbosh92
Elm Park Old Boy This thread is nonsense really. Harper is captain of a team that is looking well-placed to get into the top two by the turn of the year. He appears to be an important motivator to others in the team. And he has been a loyal and effective team member since League One days.
No this thread is isnt nosense a captain is supposed to be a leader and make the rest of the team follow by example.

in recent games harps hasnt been doing that and has proberbly been the worst player on the field, yes weve still won but we need a captain who is constistantly good.

chris armstrong my vote hasnt put a foot wrong all year.

Spellings getting there Bishbosh! Keep up the good work. If Shunt stays over New Year and is made Captain, we would win by default as all the opposition would be too scared to get involved. That's if everyone followed by example. Current system seems to be working, don't see a need to change anything. Harper must be aware that people are getting on his back so he's probably doing his best to put it right. I think he's made a big improvement the last couple of games and deserves a place in the team. It's unfortunate for Marek but why change a winning formula?
*Spelling's, criticise someone's spelling and cock up your grammar, good work. :wink:

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 08 Dec 2008 22:42

Harper in not being very good shocker..love live Marek

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 08 Dec 2008 23:47

Royalee Hmm, someone who's shone in European Championships and scored against Germany or a defensive midfielder who waves a lot and is weak as piss. Tough decision.

People who prefer sideways passing and hiding behind centre backs to someone who has a go and tries (and succeeds) in through balls and defence splitting passing clearly have never played the game to a decent standard and know nothing about the game.

I prefer a player that fits precisely into the system we play and is an integral part of than rather than a player who has played little to no first team football since the summer and has not proved he can do these 'defence splitting passes' that people seem to talk of.

I have seen every one on Mareks games and there is obviously a lot of ability there but whether it is because he isnt as good as we think or because the rest of our team arent clever enough to get onto the end of his defence splitting balls it makes no difference, it doesnt suit us as well a a hard working midfielder who marshalls the midfield consistently well over the last 5 years.

133 posts