Marek... a debate

162 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Marek... a debate

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2008 17:50

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY You are either James Harper or his boyfriend! 8)

I guess that's irony....

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 10 Dec 2008 18:06

Hoop Blah
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY You are either James Harper or his boyfriend! 8)

I guess that's irony....

Apart from the irony!!, Harper will always be in Matejovsky's shadow

reading fc rock leroylero

by reading fc rock leroylero » 10 Dec 2008 18:18

Who made the goal?.... Precisely.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2008 18:20

I'm neither. I've never met him and he used to infuriate me, sometimes still does.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Dec 2008 18:23

OLLIE KEARNS
Dirk Gently
Drew_3 I can't believe some of the stuff on this thread, i know its all a matter of oppinion but i thought marek was man of the match last night, he was at the heart of everything good about our play, alot went through him, his passes constantley found our man and were often the passes which opened up the blackpool defense(see the pass for armstrong to win the penalty).

Without him last night i think we would have struggled, i love Harper and don't agree with much of the criticism he recieves, however last night Marek offered more than James has in recent weeks, maybe Harps just needs a break, in the last 10 years he must have only had 2-3 weeks break during a season at the most, i know he is supreamley fit but there is only so much anyone can do.

Not necessarily taking issue with what you say, but I'd say we did struggle.

For the final 20 minutes or so a newcomer to the match would have struggled to tell which was the team in the top 3 playing with 11 men and which was the struggling team playing with 10 men.

Truth be told we've struggled at home for some weeks now. Main reason being that sides have worked us out and set out to nullify our threat from wide areas. They defend deeper so the wingers can't run in behind and often play 5 across midfield which foreces us to play inside. This in turn reduces the number of crosses which makes players like Noel Hunt start to look average because you've taken his main strength away.
Marek is the only player who can give us a different option and I thought he did that last night. If he doesn't continue to play then we are in for some boring home games for the rest of the year.
I also think we missed Kebe even though Henry did okay. Kebe brings raw pace which means the threat of the ball in behind is real and forces sides to defend differently. He would also give Marek another target to hit.
Away from home is different because sides have the onus on them to attack us. This means that we still have the space to break on teams and utilise our wingers.
I think the way sides are approaching us is reflected in our improving away form and declining home form. Hence the need for us to have some different options to our play especially at home.

Great post. Agree with almost all of it. Not sure if Marek is the only one who should be in there though, although I do agree he is the most technically gifted player in the squad by quite a way. I think we need to mix it up at home by playing a variety of players. In the rush to praise Marek I hope that Karacan doesn't get overlooked. I would like Jem to get a chance again soon as he gives the team so much energy and vitality. This is something that Harps, Gunnar and Cisse don't give us to the same extent.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Dec 2008 18:28

Still not convinced he's a player who can fit into a 442 playing the way he does.

He will have to sacrafice certain areas of his game to become more of a team player.

Hard to see him getting in ahead of Bryn,Harper or Cisse at the moment.

Karracan is right out the picture again, which is a shame. But like with Pearce he's out the team cause the players ahead of him are just better. Karracan is 5/6 choice now and the same with Pearce.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Dec 2008 18:34

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Still not convinced he's a player who can fit into a 442 playing the way he does.

He will have to sacrafice certain areas of his game to become more of a team player.

Hard to see him getting in ahead of Bryn,Harper or Cisse at the moment.

Karracan is right out the picture again, which is a shame. But like with Pearce he's out the team cause the players ahead of him are just better. Karracan is 5/6 choice now and the same with Pearce.

Well at least Jem was on the bench last night. Of our three young players coming in this year I definitely think Karacan is the pick of them (having not really seen that much of Henry to be honest). Well we'll see what happens...

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Dec 2008 18:49

He is a lightweight and should just play with Convey by the side of the pitch, letting the big boys play the actual game.

fester_royal_blue

by fester_royal_blue » 10 Dec 2008 19:36

i cannot believe this thread, he plays one game after almost half the season out and you lot expect him to be ronaldo in a minute, he showed some exceptional vision and made some important challenges last night and as for his vision being out of pace with the rest of the team... could it not be the rest dont have his vision and forward thinking and just expect to just keep running into dead ends like shunt?
on top of that some of the other numb nut oxfords on this board start laying into henry and the other kids.. how is a youth player going to get better without first team football.. too many reading fans expect too much straight away.. its a circus!!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 20:09

fester_royal_blue i cannot believe this thread, he plays one game after almost half the season out and you lot expect him to be ronaldo in a minute, he showed some exceptional vision and made some important challenges last night and as for his vision being out of pace with the rest of the team... could it not be the rest dont have his vision and forward thinking and just expect to just keep running into dead ends like shunt?
on top of that some of the other numb nut oxfords on this board start laying into henry and the other kids.. how is a youth player going to get better without first team football.. too many reading fans expect too much straight away.. its a circus!!

I applaud you. 8)

chandog

by chandog » 10 Dec 2008 20:11

fester_royal_blue i cannot believe this thread, he plays one game after almost half the season out and you lot expect him to be ronaldo in a minute, he showed some exceptional vision and made some important challenges last night and as for his vision being out of pace with the rest of the team... could it not be the rest dont have his vision and forward thinking and just expect to just keep running into dead ends like shunt?

agreed

give him a chance to gel back into the team and then start criticising everything he does. that should be the typical reading fans attitude

although i reckon harps may replace him for the norwich game

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Dec 2008 20:17

chandog

agreed

give him a chance to gel back into the team and then start criticising everything he does. that should be the typical reading fans attitude

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've got the time to wait for players to 'gel'. We are behind the automatic places and therefore need to win every game we can. Bryn, Harps and Cliff have been good enough in the team pattern and if Marek can't fit into the pattern, then he's out - whether the's a more skilful player or not. The pattern appears to be working so far.

chandog

by chandog » 10 Dec 2008 20:28

Franchise FC
chandog

agreed

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've got the time to wait for players to 'gel'. We are behind the automatic places and therefore need to win every game we can. Bryn, Harps and Cliff have been good enough in the team pattern and if Marek can't fit into the pattern, then he's out - whether the's a more skilful player or not. The pattern appears to be working so far.

i do agree with you there

but marek has had one start since coming back from injury and imo it is wrong to start criticising him without giving him a chance to get a few games under his belt and gain some extra fitness and confidence.

my use of gel suggests he needs a long time to settle in and get used to playing again. what i meant was that he needs a couple of games to get back to full confidence and fitness

sorry if i confused you

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 10 Dec 2008 20:31

Only read first 2 pages of this thread but seriously people :shock:

Marek is the best player in the championship, he's the best player i've seen in a reading shirt (since '87 basically)

We should build the team round him

There were some sloppy passes last night, from everybody

That was his first full game of the season, next to Bryn - has he played with him before?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2008 20:34

M U R T Y Only read first 2 pages of this thread but seriously people :shock:

Marek is the best player in the championship, he's the best player i've seen in a reading shirt (since '87 basically)excluding Sidwell and maybe Osborn obviously

We should build the team round him

There were some sloppy passes last night, from everybody

That was his first full game of the season, next to Bryn - has he played with him before?
Not happy with Blackpools sending off (partially courtesy of Marek)
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 10 Dec 2008 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 10 Dec 2008 20:41

How was that Marek's fault? - Hendrie caught him with his studs right on his ankle

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2008 21:12

M U R T Y How was that Marek's fault? - Hendrie caught him with his studs right on his ankle
maybe even higher than his ankle

But, what theatricals from our potential godschild :roll:

Yellow card at the most

(personally I don't want to see that sh1te from our team...........we are better than that)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Dec 2008 21:15

How is taking someone out with your studs ever a yellow card ?

It was late as well.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2008 21:23

Sun Tzu How is taking someone out with your studs ever a yellow card ?

It was late as well.
it used to be called a "late tackle" once upon a time

Sorry Sun Tzu, did you see Marek looking up at the ref afterwards?..........getting little sympathy, he buried his face into the turf, and rolled around like he had just been shot.

Like many of our opposition under the same circumstances, despite being "near to death" he got up and ran like a "greased gazelle" once the red card had been shown.

If that is your way of enjoying football..........just remember it works both ways.

Me?...... I think it spoiled the game, I don't want to see it

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Dec 2008 22:04

chandog

agreed

Especially when you consider he was in fact our best player last night.

162 posts