REFWATCH - Birmingham City (A) - Sat 20/12/08 12:45

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: REFWATCH - Birmingham City (A) - Sat 20/12/08 12:45

by bcubed » 20 Dec 2008 18:31

andrew1957 I said on another thread that I can't stand him normally but thought he did well today. Let us be fair and give the referees credit when they do have a good game.

I am all for that but I saw nothing but mistakes

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 18:41

bcubed
andrew1957 I said on another thread that I can't stand him normally but thought he did well today. Let us be fair and give the referees credit when they do have a good game.

Open your eyes then.

He was very restrained with cards, talking to players a lot. Exactly what you want to see. He played advantage well a couple of times and got most decisions right.

Yes some were wrong, a foul on Doyle 2nd half on the right, NHunt's won corner which was given as a GK. But there will always be mistakes in games and decisions got wrong.

I was dreading the game when he made Doobs go off to change his shorts early on. But actually it was a decent performance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 18:43

floyd__streete
S09Royal I don't understand...but maybe there are many things in this world i'll come to understand...only 17 after all :roll:

17 years old and already such a high-handed attitude; did they teach you that at Sunday School? People did not appreciate your sanctimonious tone earlier in this thread and you are too arrogant to apologise. Introduce the vile spectre of religion - the cause of almost any war you can think of - into this football forum and people will tend to get a little wound up, sunshine. Accept the fact that in an increasingly secular society the throw away use of the phrase Jesus Christ does not upset the masses.

Myth. An excuse for a large proportion of wars yes. Cause, no.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 20 Dec 2008 18:50

Don't forget that Birmingham don't like him either - last time he reffed them he sent Taylor off for that tackle on Eduardo!

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 20 Dec 2008 19:00

Credit where it's due, Mike Dean had a pretty good game. I thought the booking of Fed for timewasting was a bit unnecessary, but he got all the important decisions right. A more card-happy ref could have made many more bookings, but Dean seemed happy to let the game flow and administer a good talking-to where needed.

Mind you, I might only be saying this through the RTGs induced by a fantastic result ...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Dec 2008 19:03

Ian Royal
bcubed

Open your eyes then.

He was very restrained with cards, talking to players a lot. Exactly what you want to see. He played advantage well a couple of times and got most decisions right.

Yes some were wrong, a foul on Doyle 2nd half on the right, NHunt's won corner which was given as a GK. But there will always be mistakes in games and decisions got wrong.

I was dreading the game when he made Doobs go off to change his shorts early on. But actually it was a decent performance.

Eyes open wide thanks

That was not a good perfomance, just not as bad as some feared

Inconsistent - sometimes allowing physical shoulder charges sometimes not
Very picky - blowing up for all sorts of non-tackles. Stopped the game flowing
playing advantage which never accrued
booking Fed for replacing the ball
etc

I fear you are so used to poor standards of refereeing that you may not be able to recognise a good referee if you saw one (which luckily, in football, you probably never will)

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Dec 2008 19:46

Agreed. How is it that officials can be the only people that see something? Like the Brum goal kick when it was clearly a Reading corner. Do they close their eyes and guess?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 21:21

bcubed
Ian Royal
bcubed I am all for that but I saw nothing but mistakes

Open your eyes then.

Eyes open wide thanks

That was not a good perfomance, just not as bad as some feared

Inconsistent - sometimes allowing physical shoulder charges sometimes not
Very picky - blowing up for all sorts of non-tackles. Stopped the game flowing
playing advantage which never accrued
booking Fed for replacing the ball
etc

I fear you are so used to poor standards of refereeing that you may not be able to recognise a good referee if you saw one (which luckily, in football, you probably never will)

He allowed advantage and pulled it back when it didn't appear, nothing wrong with that.
Fed was blatantly timewasting. He made a gesture to say the ball rolled when it hadn't moved at all. Harsh yellow, but not a problem with it IMO.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Dec 2008 01:20

:shock:

He didn't pull it back when it didn't appear - don't know what game you were watching, assuming you were actually there
And yes harsh yellow - you proved the point by saying it was harsh

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Dec 2008 03:19

Ian Royal He allowed advantage and pulled it back when it didn't appear, nothing wrong with that.
Fed was blatantly timewasting. He made a gesture to say the ball rolled when it hadn't moved at all. Harsh yellow, but not a problem with it IMO.

You are totally wrong about Fed. As he started to run towards kicking the ball it moved, so he re-spotted it. The problem I guess is that the ref was too far away to see it so I don't think you can blame him

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 21 Dec 2008 07:07

Thought Dean was actually very good today.

Tried to play advantage on several occasions and pulled it back when it didn't accrue.

66DD

by 66DD » 21 Dec 2008 07:55

Man Friday Agreed. How is it that officials can be the only people that see something? Like the Brum goal kick when it was clearly a Reading corner. Do they close their eyes and guess?

I don't think that he can be criticised too much over that decision. He got it wrong, but the two players were between him and the ball so he couldn't have seen it clearly. The linesman was the other side of the pitch so probably couldn't see it clearly either.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 21 Dec 2008 10:09

Don't know what your view was like, but on the TV, you could clearly see the ball rolling backwards for Fed's booking. Ridiculous decision, and the card was dished out way too quickly. But maybe the referee's angle didn't allow him to see the ball moving.

Oh, and previously he had allowed Maik Taylor to stand in his penalty area with the ball in his hands for TWELVE seconds. I counted it on the clock on the screen.

Having said that, I thought Mike Dean was not too bad actually. I feared the worst like many. But he could have been far worse.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 21 Dec 2008 10:23

'Timewasting' is read by different referees in different ways - another example of the inconsistencies of refereeing these days.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Dec 2008 10:37

Did he book any Birmingham players? Why was Rosenior booked?

The other thing is, I wasn't happy about their goal. Cisse was fouled in the build up to their goal.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Dec 2008 10:45

A far, far better performance from Jasper Dean than I was fearing. Maybe he's finally realised that showering out cards is perhaps not the best way of controlling a game.

Given the apalling examples of timewasting that have gone unpunished this season at the Mad Stad (the referees seeming happy to continually indicate that they are adding time, rather than dealing with the repeat offenders) Federici's yellow was extremely harsh but, as someone else has pointed out, that is the problem of glaring inconsistencies in approaches between referees.

Will settle for Fed's yellow in lieu of anything worse from Dean!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 21 Dec 2008 10:50

SpaceCruiser Did he book any Birmingham players? Why was Rosenior booked?

Yes, he booked Quedrue for a bad tackle...I think :?

Rosenior kicked the ball away when Birmingham had a freekick that Reading disagreed with.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 21 Dec 2008 11:06

S09Royal
handbags_harris
Jesus wept, God help us, if you can't take a simple saying like that then what in Satan's name are you doing enjoying football???

Firstly, i don't stand for Satan's name and never will.
Secondly, you can enjoy football without refering to God's name in vain, i never do and if it's a must-thing to say at games, then i'll go because i don't see it necessary and im not ashamed to say it's offensive. You wouldn't go around saying, 'Oh Budha' at football games, so why use God's? Because it's easy? You're all so oblivious, even with Christmas just around the corner.
We're going to lose on Saturday. And for once, i hope we do. I'm going to get slated for this. Yipeeedoooda. Respect other people's beliefs.

Please tell me this is a wind up, if this is serious you're a bigger gimp than the one in Pulp Fiction :|

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Dec 2008 13:21

Pool and Darts
Oh, and previously he had allowed Maik Taylor to stand in his penalty area with the ball in his hands for TWELVE seconds. I counted it on the clock on the screen.

I wondered about that too, so I had another look at the laws because I could not remember exactly what it said. This is the extract for giudance for referees

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands
for more than six seconds.
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control
of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any
surface (e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

So you are spot on and we should have had an indirect free kick.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 21 Dec 2008 13:49

JC
Pool and Darts

I wondered about that too, so I had another look at the laws because I could not remember exactly what it said. This is the extract for giudance for referees

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands
for more than six seconds.
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control
of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any
surface (e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

So you are spot on and we should have had an indirect free kick.

Dermot Gallagher was on 'The Last Word' on Sky a couple of weeks ago talking about this - basically the rule is now one that is being almost ignored but is still there in case a goalkeeper decides to hold on the the ball for a hell of a long time. Hence why you very rarely see free kicks given these days...