by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2009 13:59

I propose a name change.

Reading You Knighted.

:oops:

JC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sir John Madejski

by JC » 01 Jan 2009 16:17

The 17 Bus I think JM got it for work we do not even know about, it says charitable work, well the arts are not, and neither is the Academy School, so I think he must do a lot out of the limelight, if so I add my best wishes, if it is for just spending his money, well I have spent all mine, all I got is debts.

I am not sure you can say the scool is not charitable. He spent £2million on it and will never get anything back. Is that not charitable?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 01 Jan 2009 16:22

The 17 Bus I think JM got it for work we do not even know about, it says charitable work, well the arts are not, and neither is the Academy School, so I think he must do a lot out of the limelight, if so I add my best wishes, if it is for just spending his money, well I have spent all mine, all I got is debts.

The arts and education certainly do come under the charitable status....

But JM also does a lot that never gets any publicity.

The tag however is a catch all for a lot of stuff and I'm not sure it's worth getting too fixated about - he's put a lot into the local comunity (and got a lot back !).

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Jan 2009 16:45

Ian Royal Reading FC isn't a money making venture, and he has put a massive amount back into the community of Reading in developing it into the club it is today.

Add that to the other charitable stuff and the arts.

Yes the honours system is massively open to abuse and tends to go to those at the top with friends in the right places, but it's the best system of recognition for people who do something deserving of reward we have.

If you think you know someone who invests their time in charitable works and helps their community recommend them to your MP to get him / her to try to get them an honour. I'm confident obscure non famous people get them, just not very often, and the names aren't usually publicised very much because no one knows who they are.

"Obscure non famous people" get MBEs which is the lowest in the pecking order - they don't get knighted.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Jan 2009 16:49

Forbury Lion
Man Friday I usually agree with you Floyd but not entirely on this occasion. Whilst not begrudging JM his knighthood the system is rank in that many people spend vast amounts of their (precious) time doing charitable acts - without recognition.
Out of interest, How many of these peoples names did you put forward for inclusion in the new years honours list?

None, I waste enough time in my life already. How about yourself?

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 01 Jan 2009 17:45

Man Friday
Ian Royal Reading FC isn't a money making venture, and he has put a massive amount back into the community of Reading in developing it into the club it is today.

Yes the honours system is massively open to abuse and tends to go to those at the top with friends in the right places, but it's the best system of recognition for people who do something deserving of reward we have.

If you think you know someone who invests their time in charitable works and helps their community recommend them to your MP to get him / her to try to get them an honour. I'm confident obscure non famous people get them, just not very often, and the names aren't usually publicised very much because no one knows who they are.

"Obscure non famous people" get MBEs which is the lowest in the pecking order - they don't get knighted.

Not true - have you heard of General Sir Charles Redmond Watt KCVO CBE ADC Gen, Sir David Geoffrey Manning, KCMG, CVO, Dr. James Iain Walker Anderson, C.B.E., Sir William Samuel Atkinson, Sir Alan James Beith , Professor Sir James Drummond Bone, Sir William Moorcroft.... I could go on for ages but I think you get the point. Indeed, who has heard of Sir John if you're not a football fan or from the Reading area?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2009 18:36

Well done Sir John.

You deserve it. A very proud moment for the fans, the club and the town.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Jan 2009 18:37

Surge on Madejski
On to victoree

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2009 18:44

Man Friday

what rubbish.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 01 Jan 2009 20:23

John Madejski's magic
He wears a magic hat
and when he saw a knighthood
he said I'm having that!

He went down to the Palace
Liz said "Rise True Royal!"
He said "Thanks Queen Lizzy,
Now Knight Sir Steve Coppell!"

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jan 2009 20:44

Man Friday
Forbury Lion
Man Friday I usually agree with you Floyd but not entirely on this occasion. Whilst not begrudging JM his knighthood the system is rank in that many people spend vast amounts of their (precious) time doing charitable acts - without recognition.
Out of interest, How many of these peoples names did you put forward for inclusion in the new years honours list?

None, I waste enough time in my life already. How about yourself?
I'm not the one moaning about people not getting recognition.

I have nominated a few people at work for awards based on their dedication to the cause, unfortunately we don't have a way to nominate useless people for the sack.

Rax

by Rax » 01 Jan 2009 22:38

notloyalenuffroyal John Madejski's magic
He wears a magic hat
and when he saw a knighthood
he said I'm having that!

He went down to the Palace
Liz said "Rise True Royal!"
He said "Thanks Queen Lizzy,
Now Knight Sir Steve Coppell!"

One cap duly doffed!

Quality!!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jan 2009 17:35

Ian Royal
Man Friday

what rubbish.
The media only tend to focus on those that the public will be interested in, that means already famous people and the x factor sob story style heart string pullers, who tend to be the lower awards. Anyone who is dull as ditchwater yet gets a knighthood probably won't get much of a write up.

Chris Hoy got a knighthood and his mum got an honour as well for her nursing work.

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 02 Jan 2009 18:23

floyd__streete
RichieBowman Oh a Multi millionaire is given a knight hood for doing charity work what a load of rubbish. There are millions of people in the country who do far more than that ego and are given no recognition. Everything Madejski has done is driven by self promotion why else would he name a football ground and art galleries after himself.

Madejski has most likely donated more money to charitable acts in his time than you could most likely ever dream of earning in a lifetime. So what if schools/galleries/stadia are named after him? The important thing is surely the fact that he has sponsored civic services and amenities, putting his hand in his pocket to make a difference. His legacy will live long after he dies; who will remember you when you die I wonder?

Still, you are welcome to your contrary point of view, however ignorant.

Yes i am entitled to my point of view. Madejski is a businessman who has made a lot of money within the town and has gained a lot of publicity from his involvement from Reading Football Club. Madejski may have donated money to a number of different charities but he has also managed to promote himself when doing so. From the list below i do not see many civil services and amenities that relate to my community !

He is also a benefactor to the Royal Academy of Arts in Piccadilly, London and in 2004 had the John Madejski Fine Rooms at Burlington House named after him in recognition of a contribution of £3 million to the institution. A sculpture by Edgar Degas, La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans, he purchased at Sotheby's in 2004 is also on display in the John Madejski Fine Rooms. The John Madejski Centre for Reputation at Henley Management College, the new garden at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a lecture theatre at the University of Reading and a gallery at the Museum of Reading also bear his name. He has recently contributed to the running of Thamesbridge College, Reading, which re-opened in September 2006 under the new name of the John Madejski Academy.

Madejski has got his Knighthood as he made the right noise with the right people. It is not my ignorance as you stated. i do not believe that someone in his position should be given such an honour. There are people in this country who do more for their community everyday with little or no recognition. Its not as if Madejski works as a volunteer in a drug rehab centre or in a woman's refuge is it.
Oh Yes and who will remember me when i die ...... Well not as someone who contributed extensively to the Conservative Party !!
Last edited by RichieBowman on 02 Jan 2009 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jan 2009 18:32

Personally I would like to see the Honours system scrapped or radically changed so that Honours are primarily given to volunteers who quietly do things in their communities or around the world rather than the current system which is mostly political party nominations with a few Joe Public nominations tagged on.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 02 Jan 2009 19:32

Dario Gradi should have been included in the New Years Honours List.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jan 2009 19:42

Most people haven't got time or the option of doing charity work.

It's usually those with the money who have time for this sort of work.

If I won the Lottery my charity work would increase considerably. :wink:

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 02 Jan 2009 21:51

Sponsoring an academy will be what clinched it. It's that simple - put private money into a key government policy.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Jan 2009 00:29

RichieBowman He is also a benefactor to the Royal Academy of Arts in Piccadilly, London and in 2004 had the John Madejski Fine Rooms at Burlington House named after him in recognition of a contribution of £3 million to the institution. A sculpture by Edgar Degas, La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans, he purchased at Sotheby's in 2004 is also on display in the John Madejski Fine Rooms. The John Madejski Centre for Reputation at Henley Management College, the new garden at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a lecture theatre at the University of Reading and a gallery at the Museum of Reading also bear his name. He has recently contributed to the running of Thamesbridge College, Reading, which re-opened in September 2006 under the new name of the John Madejski Academy.

Well, speaking as somebody who works in the heritage sector, I don't see what's wrong with that. It costs nothing to put somebody's name on the door, in return for actually funding institutions. Not that I particularly approve of the Academy system, but you can blame Labour for that, not SJM.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 03 Jan 2009 02:47

rabidbee Well, speaking as somebody who works in the heritage sector, I don't see what's wrong with that. It costs nothing to put somebody's name on the door

Speaking as somebody who works in door nameplate manufacturing I wholeheartedly agree. Reasonable, we're giving them away!