Back from the Watford game...

206 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Watford game...

by Sun Tzu » 10 Jan 2009 13:08

OLLIE KEARNS
Royal Rother Ultimately all the effective stuff came from us and Cisse and Harper obviously played their part in that but at times we looked out-numbered in midfield.

We WERE outnumbered :) . They played 4-5-1 meaning 3 versus 2 in central areas. It was also interesting to note that they switched to 4-4-2 to chase the game in the 65th minute and we then scored 3 goals in the last 25 minutes. In fact, we've pretty much hammered any side that has played 4-4-2 against us including Wolves and Brum.
Part of the reason we've conceded so few goals is that sides are going to find it hard to create chances with only one up front. At the same time, 4-5-1 is difficult to break down hence our perceived dip in form in recent weeks.
I'll be very interested to see if Wolves stick to 4-4-2 against us in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't the 451 mean our full backs are penned back rather than rampaging forward (a key part of our wide attacking style). 442 means the full backs don't have to worry so much about the opposition wide men so are more of an attacking force.

rotherwick_royal

Re: Back from the game...

by rotherwick_royal » 10 Jan 2009 13:13

Super_horns Best of luck...just beat the teams around us because we need some hope!

No worries, we'll stuff Saints for you.

Oh! :oops:

Maybe the scoreline was flattering but then I thought we deserved to be more than 1-0 up at HT. Think a lot of people on here are overly critical, I thought we were always in control of the game.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2009 13:14

When played properly, and with the right players, you're only 4-5-1 when you're defending. As soon as you go on the attack the 4-5-1 turns into a 4-3-3.

Having said that, the majority of teams who come to us playing 4-5-1 don't have the players to make the above work, and are playing it wholly defensively, in an attempt to stifle us in midfield.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 13:22

Sun Tzu
OLLIE KEARNS
Royal Rother Ultimately all the effective stuff came from us and Cisse and Harper obviously played their part in that but at times we looked out-numbered in midfield.

We WERE outnumbered :) . They played 4-5-1 meaning 3 versus 2 in central areas. It was also interesting to note that they switched to 4-4-2 to chase the game in the 65th minute and we then scored 3 goals in the last 25 minutes. In fact, we've pretty much hammered any side that has played 4-4-2 against us including Wolves and Brum.
Part of the reason we've conceded so few goals is that sides are going to find it hard to create chances with only one up front. At the same time, 4-5-1 is difficult to break down hence our perceived dip in form in recent weeks.
I'll be very interested to see if Wolves stick to 4-4-2 against us in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't the 451 mean our full backs are penned back rather than rampaging forward (a key part of our wide attacking style). 442 means the full backs don't have to worry so much about the opposition wide men so are more of an attacking force.

Yes, when we have the ball. Their wide men will engage the full backs when they push on, their full backs will engage our wingers and one of the central 3 midfielders will sit in front of their back 4.
It's when they have the ball that we'll see a direct 3 v 2 match up centrally. The opposition will look to push one of the wide men forward as a winger (Croft for Norwich is a good example) and one central man will push on to support the front man when possible. Something that Harper generally deals with by playing slightly deeper than Cisse
We deal with the 3 v 2 by generally defending areas as opposed to going man for man. If you watch Harper and Cisse they'll defend central areas as part of a midfield four and pass players on as opposed to tracking them into wide / advanced areas.
We are actually very good at it because the whole side is fully attuned to the way that we play

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Jan 2009 13:26

OLLIE KEARNS
Sun Tzu
OLLIE KEARNS

Yes, when we have the ball. Their wide men will engage the full backs when they push on, their full backs will engage our wingers and one of the central 3 midfielders will sit in front of their back 4.
It's when they have the ball that we'll see a direct 3 v 2 match up centrally. The opposition will look to push one of the wide men forward as a winger (Croft for Norwich is a good example) and one central man will push on to support the front man when possible. Something that Harper generally deals with by playing slightly deeper than Cisse
We deal with the 3 v 2 by generally defending areas as opposed to going man for man. If you watch Harper and Cisse they'll defend central areas as part of a midfield four and pass players on as opposed to tracking them into wide / advanced areas.
We are actually very good at it because the whole side is fully attuned to the way that we play

Ollie, thanks for that. You seem to know your stuff ! Always find your analysis interesting....

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 13:44

No problem Sun Tzu. Any time :)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Jan 2009 13:57

Pool and Darts I owe you an apology Vic Meldrew.

Sorry old chap for my little outburst. It was uncalled for. I was a little bit excited! So I shall go and remove it.

Can we make up?

Apology not necessary but good of you to say so.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was annoyed that I had to miss going to a game yet again (can't drive in the dark at the moment due to an eye problem) where we won and so had to watch on TV and the only atmosphere was created by me as the missus watched Trial and Tribulation on the other side.
So far this season the only away games I have been able to go to are:-
Ipswich (lost-Hunty terrible)
Charlton (lost-Hunty terrible)
Saints( lost-Hunty terrible)
The last 2 home games that I could go to:-
Saints (lost-Hunty not very good)
Cardiff (drew-Hunty not very good)
So you can see I may be a bit blinkered about the player as I haven't seen many of his good games.
Also with my most recent record I'm a bit of a Jonah so in the fans' interests and the club's I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get back :wink: although I am desperate to be there.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Jan 2009 14:00

Dirk Gently When played properly, and with the right players, you're only 4-5-1 when you're defending. As soon as you go on the attack the 4-5-1 turns into a 4-3-3.

Having said that, the majority of teams who come to us playing 4-5-1 don't have the players to make the above work, and are playing it wholly defensively, in an attempt to stifle us in midfield.

Not necessarily - the Premiership incarnation is very much a 4-5-1. Lump up front, five 'hardworking' midfielders. Pain pain pain pain pain.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jan 2009 14:59

Victor Meldrew The last 2 home games that I could go to:-
So you can see I may be a bit blinkered about the player as I haven't seen many of his good games.
Also with my most recent record I'm a bit of a Jonah so in the fans' interests and the club's I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get back :wink: although I am desperate to be there.

I also have only been to the Cardiff and Southampton games at home. Feel like a bit of a jinx to be honest.

Still the away games I have been to are Watford and Barnsley so I feel a bit better about them :)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2009 16:09

papereyes
Dirk Gently When played properly, and with the right players, you're only 4-5-1 when you're defending. As soon as you go on the attack the 4-5-1 turns into a 4-3-3.

Not necessarily - the Premiership incarnation is very much a 4-5-1. Lump up front, five 'hardworking' midfielders. Pain pain pain pain pain.

Hence the "with the right players" comment.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 10 Jan 2009 16:16

Archie's penalty

I also have only been to the Cardiff and Southampton games at home. Feel like a bit of a jinx to be honest.

Still the away games I have been to are Watford and Barnsley so I feel a bit better about them :)

On the plus side, I have only been to one game so far and that was Sheff Wed :D

My next one is.... Wolves! So we are bound to win. 8)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 16:18

SteveRoyal Ian - how can you rate Doyle higher than N Hunt? Personally, I thought N Hunt had a cracker of a game. Saw more of him than Doyle... Nevermind. Opinions, and all that!

Because absolutely everything that went to him, regardless of whether he had 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 Watford players around him, was skillfully brought down, and either laid off to a Reading player, or used to run at the defence.

NHunt worked hard and is a very very good buy, but he is half the player Doyle is right now. That still makes him one of the better strikers in the Championship mind.

Kebe is an irritating enigma. Sometimes he tackles back really well, sometimes he gets on the end of headers really well (unless it's to score). Other times he just stands and watches or runs away from a challenge. His decision making is atrocious as well.

He'd much rather take on his full back and beat him 3 times than cross the ball. Unfortunately, by the time he's stopped shimmying the defender has usually managed to untie his legs and get in the way of the 4th attempt or the cross.

He produces, very very little. At least he did in that game. Once he can get over the need to beat his man as much as possible and realises all he needs to do is work the space to put in a cross he'll be unstoppable. Until then, he's a bizarre cross between total liability and very dangerous. And it was a penalty as RR said, although I'm not suprised the ref didn't give it.

Lita. Frankly was poor. He got fantastic support, whch I completely agree with. But that header was unbelievable. He was free with no one anywhere near him, had acres of time and he missed by miles, with no power. If he hadn't have scored later, he should have been lynched.

Still a better sub than Long though.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 16:19

Victor Meldrew I was annoyed that I had to miss going to a game yet again (can't drive in the dark at the moment due to an eye problem) where we won and so had to watch on TV and the only atmosphere was created by me as the missus watched Trial and Tribulation on the other side.
So far this season the only away games I have been able to go to are:-
Ipswich (lost-Hunty terrible)
Charlton (lost-Hunty terrible)
Saints( lost-Hunty terrible)
The last 2 home games that I could go to:-

You might be getting your luck back without realising it as we drew to Saints away. :)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Jan 2009 16:21

Dirk Gently
papereyes

Hence the "with the right players" comment.

I fear what the Premiership incarnation wants is what I described and to hold it tight. They mean to play like this.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 18:22

I did put a post on here, but it seems to have disappeared. No matter, it didn't say much. All I wanted to know was why Simon Church was warming up with the team but not on the bench or playing.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Jan 2009 18:23

Sarah Star I did put a post on here, but it seems to have disappeared. No matter, it didn't say much. All I wanted to know was why Simon Church was warming up with the team but not on the bench or playing.

We often do this with our young players.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Jan 2009 20:22

Archie's penalty

Forgot the Watford game so you can see I have yet to see us win away-the good news is that I'm not going to Swansea.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 20:27

winchester_royal
Sarah Star I did put a post on here, but it seems to have disappeared. No matter, it didn't say much. All I wanted to know was why Simon Church was warming up with the team but not on the bench or playing.

I just don't remember us doing it before...well, not in the last year anyway.

Victor, you've seen us draw away. You're working your way up to a win.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 20:28

Sarah Star
winchester_royal

I just don't remember us doing it before...well, not in the last year anyway.

Victor, you've seen us draw away. You're working your way up to a win.

Loads of them have been on loan.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 20:47

I know, which might be why I don't remember seeing it before :roll: , but why do it at all?

206 posts