Back from Swansea game

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from Swansea game

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2009 20:09

PieEater
Toon Toon Blue army ... Then as soon as we get out of the stadium there was a bus waiting for Reading fans only straight back to town, there was even our own private road! Top stuff!

When the gate wouldn't open for the car in front, someone got off our bus to hold the gates open. The bus then drove straight past him and left him there!

Did he get picked up on the bus behind?

Yes, he did.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Jan 2009 20:22

handbags_harris Thoroughly depressing to be honest. I was truggling to come up with a more sound beating on the walk back to the station and train ride home yesterday and I couldn't come up with one in recent memory. To be honest I worried about this game. Swansea play a very good game, a game which invariably we struggle to counter-act. They totally nullified our attack (the best attack in England), and had more than enough in reserve to do their own stuff up front.

Incredibly angry at the timing of the first goal. If you hear the announcement of 1 minute of added time, you shut up shop. You don't allow the lone striker the amount of time to pick his corner 18 yards out 30 seconds after that announcement. That, to me, comes down to professionalism, and we didn't show a lot of it yesterday.

Substitutions yesterday were ok(ish) I thought. Despite what the whinging cretin behind me said yesterday ("what are we doing?!") it was exactly the right thing to do to get Marek on to play as the 5th midfielder, not only to counteract the fact that every time there was a loose ball their spare man simply picked it up, but also to give us potential creativity in the middle as the flanks were creating absolutely nothing. I wouldn't have taken Noel Hunt off though, I'd have pushed him out right and taken off the winger with the worst end product I have seen in a long time at RFC - Jimmy Kebe. The guy looked disinterested, ambling around giving the token effort. Once again, the man failed to deliver anything of note.

Putting Leroy on was pointless as, once again, given an opportunity to create something he chose the wrong option every time. Why can't people see that Leroy Lita is utter shit? Three or four times he looked to take a man on and walked right into another man while coming infield to look for a shot, particularly when a simple pass at 1-0 would have put Doyle clean through the middle but no, Leroy holds onto it, tries to take a man on and loses it. Infuriatingly shit, why couldn't the man go to Sheff Utd?!

Full backs, IMO, did ok against their men. Despite getting the ball wide on numerous occasions with pin-point passing, they created one real chance from wide positions. Both goals came through the middle. Alright, it was a bit peeping through cracked fingers at times, but on the whole given the almost complete lack of support from our own wingers they did ok on that side of things.

I don't know what complaints Liam Rosenior can have for being sent off. the first for dissent was never our throw in the first place, and the petulant twat then belts the ball at his own head??? And then to have the audacity to complain at a 2nd booking for a clear, cynical, sly tug back? Yeah, ok, Jason Scotland didn't exactly shower himself in glory with his insistence that the referee send him off, but on the flip side that is no different to what Liam Rosenior would do in the reverse situation. My only gripe with this is that the referee wasn't booking players all game for similar offences, but I suppose there are only so many warnings a referee can give.

Deservedly beaten, this was as one-sided a match I have seen from Reading at this level as I can remember. I'm not entirely confident for our match against Wolves, although it has to be said they are looking as shaky as us as the moment. We will score against them, but the question is will we score enough?

Good summary and agree with all of it especially your comments about Lita
Jason Scotland looks to be twice the player Leroy is

I thought Swansea had some very good players, Scotland held things up well hardly gave the ball away and looked very strong. Their midfield dominated ours and Gomez looked a class act as he ran the show

In comparison our players looked poor, very poor. Perhaps it just confirmed to me that we normally get something much better than the sum of the individual parts but when it doesn't come together the players are exposed as lacking in individual quality

I overheard two Swansea fans on the way home saying we were the worst team they had seen at the new stadium. Harsh I'm sure, but I couldn't think of much to say in our defence.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Jan 2009 20:29

Summary of game: we played oxf*rd crap.
That's not to say we have crap players, though. We've seen what we can do when we play well.
That match was simply not our match. Not to mention the Swans played above their usual level.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Jan 2009 21:04

SteveRoyal Summary of game: we played oxf*rd crap.
That's not to say we have crap players, though. We've seen what we can do when we play well.
That match was simply not our match. Not to mention the Swans played above their usual level.

It's always been a problem for Reading. Again who we think are "lesser opposition" we tend to struggle.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Jan 2009 22:25

handbags_harris I wouldn't have taken Noel Hunt off though, I'd have pushed him out right and taken off the winger with the worst end product I have seen in a long time at RFC - Jimmy Kebe. The guy looked disinterested, ambling around giving the token effort. Once again, the man failed to deliver anything of note.

As I wasn't in the country on Saturday, I couldn't possibly comment on the game. It would seem though, that I am not the only one who thinks Kebe is not a footballer.

Oh well, roll on a week on Tuesday.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Jan 2009 20:01

bcubed I overheard two Swansea fans on the way home saying we were the worst team they had seen at the new stadium. Harsh I'm sure, but I couldn't think of much to say in our defence.

I hardly think that's true to be fair. Did these boyo's see Swansea stick 7 past Bristol City 3 years ago? Maybe they weren't there for that game, in which case it may be true as the quote seems to be personal to them...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 12:28

strap
handbags_harris I wouldn't have taken Noel Hunt off though, I'd have pushed him out right and taken off the winger with the worst end product I have seen in a long time at RFC - Jimmy Kebe. The guy looked disinterested, ambling around giving the token effort. Once again, the man failed to deliver anything of note.

As I wasn't in the country on Saturday, I couldn't possibly comment on the game. It would seem though, that I am not the only one who thinks Kebe is not a footballer.

our only attacking outlet for the entire game?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jan 2009 13:50

brendywendy
strap As I wasn't in the country on Saturday, I couldn't possibly comment on the game. It would seem though, that I am not the only one who thinks Kebe is not a footballer.

No wonder we didn't score and never looked remotely like doing so then :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 14:24

yeah, it was kebes fault

working class hero

by working class hero » 20 Jan 2009 17:22

Kebe is a typical winger. Sometimes seems a genius at other times inept. I think he is worth his place in the side and plan to continue supporting him. To others he is becoming a Hughesy type whipping boy....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2009 17:40

The thing that pisses me off is that because people like Strap over critcise him from some sort of rabid fervour, any objective criticism is lost in the swirl of the sun shines out of his arse defensive reaction and dismissed as the same as the idiotic "he's not a professional footballer" drivel.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 18:19

Ian Royal The thing that pisses me off is that because people like Strap over critcise him from some sort of rabid fervour, any objective criticism is lost in the swirl of the sun shines out of his arse defensive reaction and dismissed as the same as the idiotic "he's not a professional footballer" drivel.

you are so wrong

kebe is god

im fed fed up with all this "kebes not a proffessional footballer" rubbish from your sort

:wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2009 18:32

You are such a pain in the ass.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 21:13

:lol:

soz

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 20 Jan 2009 22:27

Kebe > Oster.
:?:

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 21 Jan 2009 16:29

bcubed
handbags_harris
Putting Leroy on was pointless as, once again, given an opportunity to create something he chose the wrong option every time. Why can't people see that Leroy Lita is utter shit? Three or four times he looked to take a man on and walked right into another man while coming infield to look for a shot, particularly when a simple pass at 1-0 would have put Doyle clean through the middle but no, Leroy holds onto it, tries to take a man on and loses it. Infuriatingly shit, why couldn't the man go to Sheff Utd?!

Full backs, IMO, did ok against their men. Despite getting the ball wide on numerous occasions with pin-point passing, they created one real chance from wide positions. Both goals came through the middle. Alright, it was a bit peeping through cracked fingers at times, but on the whole given the almost complete lack of support from our own wingers they did ok on that side of things.

I don't know what complaints Liam Rosenior can have for being sent off. the first for dissent was never our throw in the first place, and the petulant twat then belts the ball at his own head??? And then to have the audacity to complain at a 2nd booking for a clear, cynical, sly tug back? Yeah, ok, Jason Scotland didn't exactly shower himself in glory with his insistence that the referee send him off, but on the flip side that is no different to what Liam Rosenior would do in the reverse situation. My only gripe with this is that the referee wasn't booking players all game for similar offences, but I suppose there are only so many warnings a referee can give.

Just got around to seeing the extended highlights (being from the US, that's all I get) and the one thing that stands out to me (ok, it was obvious the highlights were obtained from a Swansea outlet so not much see on the Reading side) was Leroy's HORRIBLE decision late to not make the easiest pass in the world to a wide-open Doyle who would have equalized. I replayed that one part and it was obvious he was aware of Doyle. :evil:

I wasn't particularly encouraged when Leroy announced he wanted to stay and this one event is a good example of why.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Jan 2009 16:35

FiNeRaIn
North Somerset Royal
royalexile I think we've pretty much averaged 800 per game over the season. :|

I can understand people not wanting to travel to grounds that are difficult to get to or to mid week matches but when we are second in the league and about to play the leaders I am disappointed that so few made the effort to travel to a ground just down the M4 and on the main GW line. I also do not understand why our average home attendances are in the top third but so few are prepared to travel.

We have this conversation every week, yet the RTG's will still try and come up with excuses to defend a shocking away support, im sure there were roadworks or something to cover up this weeks effort? We are a very poorly supported away from home, its not going to change so why does it keep cropping up. Swansea brought more to us than we did to them, says it all about how bad our away support is. We are second in the league, have recently spent two years in the prem and average 19,000 at home or so, 800 is woeful.

But after Southampton, when we took 3,500 odd, the usual suspects bitched about day trippers ruining the atmosphere for the hardcore fans.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2009 16:47

There are definitely less away fans visiting the Mad Stad this year compared to our last stint in the Championship.

Its not surprising that so few people are prepared to travel when the economy is in tatters and everyone fears for their jobs.

I aint gonna shell out on away travel. What if my income dries up this year? Everyone in the whole economy must be very wary of that possibility.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Jan 2009 19:40

brendywendy
strap

With Stephen Hunt hardly able to create a goal from open play (someone remind me when that was?), and the central midfield not exactly awash with creative players, Kebe is the only other option. Please tell me how he influenced the Swansea match positively, because when he ran with the ball, he got tackled, failed to deliver a cross of note, or passed the ball to the opposition. The one occasion he DID manage to complete a pass, he delayed it too long and Noel Hunt was offside.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Jan 2009 20:17

PremAddict
bcubed
handbags_harris

Just got around to seeing the extended highlights (being from the US, that's all I get) and the one thing that stands out to me (ok, it was obvious the highlights were obtained from a Swansea outlet so not much see on the Reading side) was Leroy's HORRIBLE decision late to not make the easiest pass in the world to a wide-open Doyle who would have equalized. I replayed that one part and it was obvious he was aware of Doyle. :evil:

I wasn't particularly encouraged when Leroy announced he wanted to stay and this one event is a good example of why.

so you think he might want to stay to scupper our promotion chances ala payback time for not being first choice striker the last couple of years? I think there was a similar theory a while back wasn't there. I'll buy it.