Play-off Watch

145 posts
Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Play-off Watch

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 17:50

We drop to 5th after Cardiff steamrollered Palace at Selhurst.

7 points the gap to 7th, so we should be ok.

At the moment, we face Cardiff in the play-offs and face a nasty little game and last ever competitive game at Cardiff's Ninian Park.

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 11 Apr 2009 18:24

Is the idea of the play offs that bad? It certainly it is a great days for the fans [ if you win].

The more I think aboout it , i can see us finishing 5th and hopefully some kind of form returning and then playing Brum in the final. Sheff Utd, look like carrying their form through to the end and play Palace in the last game. No doubt Warrnok will be very happy to let Sheff win that to confirm their promotion.

Hopefully Brum will suffer from the 3rd place curse and we win an entertaining final, with a Bikley 60 yard run, that is shown over and over again on sky.

If we lose we would be the first team to lose 3 play off finals at 3 different venues, old wembly, cardiff and new wembly.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Apr 2009 18:31

Cpl Jones Dont panic Is the idea of the play offs that bad? It certainly it is a great days for the fans [ if you win].

Not going up isn't a 'bad' concept.

In fact I'm OK with whatever happens although would want us to be as successful as possible. I've said before that for me the most exciting prospect for next season is wtaching a new team of home grown players develop under the guidance of a new young manager. I'd rather that than a season of watching us fight relegation.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 18:35

Sun Tzu
Cpl Jones Dont panic Is the idea of the play offs that bad? It certainly it is a great days for the fans [ if you win].

Not going up isn't a 'bad' concept.

In fact I'm OK with whatever happens although would want us to be as successful as possible. I've said before that for me the most exciting prospect for next season is wtaching a new team of home grown players develop under the guidance of a new young manager. I'd rather that than a season of watching us fight relegation.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Apr 2009 18:36

Schards#2 Plenty of similarities with Watford last season.

After looking nailed on for promotion, they fell away dramatically, limped into 6th place and were hammered in the play offs.

Quite possible Wolves/Brum won't need another point to finish ahead of us and equally possible we won't be in the play offs at all.
If we are, a drubbing seems more than likely.

Was thinking the same myself we will be walloped over 2 legs who ever we play

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 18:41

To be honest, we never looked nailed on for promotion.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Apr 2009 20:16

Despite our poor form no one has actually hammered us this season, whereas we've thumped several sides.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 11 Apr 2009 20:44

I can see us meeting Sheff Utd at Wembley...and beating them!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 20:53

rotherwick_royal I can see us meeting Sheff Utd at Wembley...and beating them!

LOLz at seeing us past the semi stage

_./'\._ ¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤•…... _./'\._
*•. .•* ....Play-off Hopeful.... *•. .•*
/.•*•.\ ¸..•¤**¤•., .•¤**¤•.*.* /.•*•.\

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Apr 2009 21:23

I imagine that the last home game for the Soul Crew at NP will be marked by some special events.

I really hope we are not going to be there - but I believe we will.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Apr 2009 21:26

READING of WEMBLEY

that'll be three times in my lifetime

go mental

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Apr 2009 14:36

PEARCEY
Ian Royal
PEARCEY If we lose to Blackpool and Preston win their two Easter games they are only one point behind us. :shock: Preston are currently outside the play-off positions.
As it happens I thought the commitment was really good today....but two or three key players, ie SHunt and Doyle are so badly off form...bring in Tabb ahead of Hunt and NHunt ahead of Doye.

We're back to last season with Doyle. He just can't do anything to get a goal. His all round game is pretty good, but I'd agree with dropping him for NHunt to see what happens. I'd agree with dropping SHunt as well. He looked poor today. I'd add Kebe who's final ball is awful.

In fact I'd make quite a few changes.

Hahnemann
Murty/Kelly/Rosenior, Bikey, Pearce, Armstrong
Little, Karacan, Matejovsky, Tabb
NHunt, Kitson

Don't care who plays at right back. There are pros and cons to all of them.

Yep Doyle is very much back to last season but he isn't in the box enough....running down the flanks all the bloody time. There were times today when at best we had one striker in the box waiting for a cross to come in.
I agree about Kebe being dropped but I dont think Glenda is up to it.
I cant see Karacan playing again this season.
Agree with you about Pearce coming in for Duberry.
Two points out of eighteen in our last six home games is barely believable

I'd prefer Henry to Little, but he's still on loan I think. It's all about building for the future now. We're not going up and even if we do it probably wouldn't be a good thing.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Apr 2009 17:56

5 more points required for a top 6 finish. Anyone but Cardiff.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 Apr 2009 18:35

Tony Le Mesmer 5 more points required for a top 6 finish. Anyone but Cardiff.

Anyone but anyone.

DrZoidberg

by DrZoidberg » 13 Apr 2009 20:41

Thank gawd that Preston and Swansea have some tough games to come ... I think I saw earlier that Preston have Cardiff and Bham for two of their three remaining games, and Swansea still have to play Sheff Utd in one of theirs.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 Apr 2009 17:27

DrZoidberg Thank gawd that Preston and Swansea have some tough games to come ...

Swansea 1-0 Bristol City R
Preston 6-0 Cardiff R

:lol:

We're in serious doo doo.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Apr 2009 17:41

Deathy
DrZoidberg Thank gawd that Preston and Swansea have some tough games to come ...

Preston 6-0 Cardiff R

you must be joking, 3 points and we are there, Burnley will be bricking it if they lose tomorrow.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 Apr 2009 17:51

The 17 Bus
Deathy

Preston 6-0 Cardiff R

you must be joking, 3 points and we are there, Burnley will be bricking it if they lose tomorrow.

That's three more 0-0's... :lol: You don't surely think we can win a game, do you? :shock:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Apr 2009 22:41

Burnley's 1-0 win against Sheff U tonight almost certainly secures a place for the Clarets, all but denies Sheff U an unlikely automatic promotion and relegates Reading to 6th place and falling. Swansea and PNE have away games at Sheff U and Brum respectively on Saturday so two homes and we could be safe and secure in the play-offs without actually having to pick up any further points (luckily for us :roll: ).

Stop the league season now actually.....I don't overly rate Sheff U (any team which regularly fields Greg Halford, dear old Darius, that thug Chris Morgan and Nick Montgomery is hardly likely to be top drawer) and would fancy we might somehow squeeze past them over 180 minute and more of Championship plod-and-hoof. I'd also fancy us to beat Burnley; we did them at home and by all accounts were mugged up there. So, Reading through to the final as it stands.....where we will get absolutely murdered by a stronger Cardiff side :|

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Apr 2009 02:45

Surpising as it may seem and as bad as our run is at the moment, win tonight and we are back into fourth place. Should the team win tonight could tactics and an easier run into the playoffs be a priority or will the team still chase for the maximum points tally possible.

145 posts