Back from the game Burnley

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the game Burnley

by Millsy » 10 May 2009 13:32

RoyalBird
marysiaska We were all over Burnley!!!! It's history repeating itself!!! we dominated the game!!! So disappointed that we came away with nothing!!!!!!!Bikey....what a moment of madness!!!! And Doyle injured!!!! Well let's hope the lads step up to the challenge in the next leg.....let's have faith!!!! We deserved to win today!!!! maybe we'll beat them 3 1 and history will definitely be repeated!!!!

Ok, firstly, calm down with the !!!! Secondly, you have good views which should be used on the groundhog day thread :wink: And thirdly FOOK OFF NEWBIE (don't worry, it's a welcome for those with few posts like yourself)

What day?

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 May 2009 13:33

Jeffers217
Dick Habbin's hairdo Duberry and Bikey were committed - and the latter certainly should be. Both of them guilty of too much fannying around when a simple hoof would have done.

A simple hoof?! Mate we've been watching hoofball for the last 3 months it was a pleasure to watch the 2 centre halves play sum quality football, just a shame bout Bikey. [quote]

Yeah, on re-reading my post abovethat probably seemed harsh on Duberry and Bikey but wasn't meant to be. I thought they showed great resilience and strength and no little finesse. It's just on a couple of occasions they seemed to ponder too long on the ball and almost got caught as the last man.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 10 May 2009 13:40

Photo from the game:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 May 2009 13:50

Nearly a day after the event, and I can't believe how a) we lost that game and b) how many parallels can be drawn from this game and the corresponding fixture in October. We didn't batter them as suce like in October, but we definately were by far the better team. We can consider ourselves both unlicky and particularly shit in equal measure, unlucky with the saves Jensen had to make and having it cleared off the line, and shit for Bikey's actions and Jimmy Kebe.

Shane Long's penalty shout was 100% nailed on for me. It doesn't matter if the defender slips or not, if he trips an opponent it's an infringement. He slipped, took Shane Long out, and therefore was a penalty. No other punishment required as he couldn't help it, but that's not our fault is it?

And Jimmy Kebe, please just fcuk off.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 May 2009 13:54

Tbh, I thought we showed a bit more fight than we have done in recent weeks. Kebe should have passed to Kitson for that chance, but other than that, he had some good little runs and nearly scored himself - so I still wouldn't condemn him to the "shit" basked just yet. I'm more concerned at our injuries - only 2 fit strikers? Mooney on bench for Tuesday? Bryn really can't last 90 minute games any more - we're going to end up having to play SHunt on Tuesday and I was hoping we wouldn't have to. Pearce in for Bikey I suppose?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 May 2009 15:47

handbags_harris N

Shane Long's penalty shout was 100% nailed on for me. It doesn't matter if the defender slips or not, if he trips an opponent it's an infringement. He slipped, took Shane Long out, and therefore was a penalty. No other punishment required as he couldn't help it, but that's not our fault is it?

Not sure you've got that right....

For it to be a free kick it has to be reckless, careless or with excessive force. If a player slips it is none of those.

From an attacking team's point of view it is a massive injustice but strictly by the law I'm not convinced.

And if it was a penalty it was a red card, it's irrelevant whether he could help it, if it was a reasonable goalscoring chance then it was a red.

Many refs would have given it, in fact I think most would but I'm coming round to think(reluctantly) that perhaps he got this one correct...

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 10 May 2009 15:48

LOL @ Bikey

The LOLz are on RL for a long time to come.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 May 2009 17:15

Sun Tzu
handbags_harris N

Not sure you've got that right....

For it to be a free kick it has to be reckless, careless or with excessive force. If a player slips it is none of those.

From an attacking team's point of view it is a massive injustice but strictly by the law I'm not convinced.

And if it was a penalty it was a red card, it's irrelevant whether he could help it, if it was a reasonable goalscoring chance then it was a red.

Many refs would have given it, in fact I think most would but I'm coming round to think(reluctantly) that perhaps he got this one correct...

Looking at the laws, and it seems you're correct on that score, but then surely an indirect free kick should have been awarded? "An indirect free kick is awarded if, in the opinion of the referee, a player...impedes the progress of an opponent". But how often do you see any indirect free kicks given in the box these days???

No it wasn't a red card. The "professional foul" law was brought in specifically to give referees powers to send off players who deliberately prevent clear goalscoring opportunities. Whether Long had a clear opportunity to score if he hadn't tripped is open to conjecture, and also given that the defender merely slipped and unintentionally tripped Long, in my mind means that it was a penalty and no more. Particularly taking into the latter aspect of that explanation.

Sorry mate, but even in the face of that above, I'd have given a penalty in that situation.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 May 2009 17:18

Bikey was a total nkob with his rant as he was sent off, but wasn't it good to hear Coppell's reaction afterwards; no hiding behind "passion" or "I didn't see it" or supporting your player regardless of the evidence.......a certain recently defeated Champions League semi finalist manager could learn from it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 May 2009 17:21

THe problem is, as I've said earlier. Long was never getting near the ball it was straight down Jensen's throat. Therefore no way was it a penalty. I wouldn't have been massively surprised to see it given. But it would have been pretty unjust IMO.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 May 2009 17:53

Since when has it mattered where the ball is so long as it is in play?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 May 2009 17:59

handbags_harris Since when has it mattered where the ball is so long as it is in play?

The point being Burnley gained no advantage through a guy falling over and accidentally taking out Long.

Off the ball accident =/= foul.

If Long had the ball, it's probably a penalty. A harsh one, but a penalty. Without it, no foul.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 May 2009 18:22

Ian Royal
handbags_harris Since when has it mattered where the ball is so long as it is in play?

The point being Burnley gained no advantage through a guy falling over and accidentally taking out Long.

If Long had the ball, it's probably a penalty. A harsh one, but a penalty. Without it, no foul.

Sorry Ian, but you need to take a long hard look at the laws of the game.

The ball can be at the other end of the field and a penalty can still be awarded. Possession or otherwise is irrelevant. A high ball into the area - defender shoves a forward so he can't get near it and it's a pen.

When Long got taken out it left Jensen with a clean, unchallenged catch whereas if Long had been unimpeded he was in a position to put in a challenge.

Not at all clear cut, and I can see a lot in handbag's view but I'd disagree with the red card. Preventing a goalscoring opportunity doesn;t have to be deliberate. It applies if he commits any offence that warrants a direct free kick so the questions are 1. Was it a pen (you think yes) 2. Did it deny Long a goal scoring opportunity (toughie, if Long had a chance to get a head to the ball then the answer must be yes, personally if it was a pen then I think it had to be a red)

Classic 'no right answer' laws of football debate !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 May 2009 19:07

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal

Sorry Ian, but you need to take a long hard look at the laws of the game.

The ball can be at the other end of the field and a penalty can still be awarded. Possession or otherwise is irrelevant. A high ball into the area - defender shoves a forward so he can't get near it and it's a pen.

When Long got taken out it left Jensen with a clean, unchallenged catch whereas if Long had been unimpeded he was in a position to put in a challenge.

Not at all clear cut, and I can see a lot in handbag's view but I'd disagree with the red card. Preventing a goalscoring opportunity doesn;t have to be deliberate. It applies if he commits any offence that warrants a direct free kick so the questions are 1. Was it a pen (you think yes) 2. Did it deny Long a goal scoring opportunity (toughie, if Long had a chance to get a head to the ball then the answer must be yes, personally if it was a pen then I think it had to be a red)

Classic 'no right answer' laws of football debate !

And you need to read what I am saying. An accidental trip through falling over is not a foul. However, if it causes a player with the ball or about to receive the ball to miss out and there is no advantage, it would be reasonable to give a foul.

Hence why Sonko was penalised.

Burnley gained no advantage, it was an accident Long had no chance of getting the ball. No foul, no penalty. If Long had put in a challenge and Jensen dropped the ball, Jensen would have got a freekick for a foul on him.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 May 2009 19:24

Cannot agree Ian. How do you know Long had no chance of getting to the ball? He was inadvertently denied the opportunity to do so
Last edited by PEARCEY on 10 May 2009 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 10 May 2009 19:28

Ian is right. Long was nowhere near the ball. There was no foul, no goal scoring opportunity denied and no penalty.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 May 2009 19:30

You dont know that. Long may have been able to challenge for the cross had he been standing.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 10 May 2009 19:36

PEARCEY You dont know that. Long may have been able to challenge for the cross had he been standing.

No Way. Thats how I saw it at the time and having recorded it i have watched the incident on TV and it is even clearer than it was at the game that he had absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the ball and there was no foul.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 May 2009 19:55

Not felt so good after losing a game in a long time.

Back 4 looked solid till Andre's moment of madness. For all the stick I and others gave Coppell about not playing Bikey, you can see exactly why Coppell doesn't trust the guy, but what do you expect for a guy who head butted someone when on trial?

Midfield, bar Kebe was good and Doyle looked great until the injury. Kitson was usual Kitson, I hope to God we can get out of buying him if we do go up.

Get Henry back, Kebe's not good enough and Little is no good injured.

I'm saying it now, 3 - 0 Reading at the Mad Stad......

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 May 2009 21:40

North Somerset Royal
PEARCEY You dont know that. Long may have been able to challenge for the cross had he been standing.

No Way. Thats how I saw it at the time and having recorded it i have watched the incident on TV and it is even clearer than it was at the game that he had absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the ball and there was no foul.

It went from Jensen knowing he was going to have to win the ball in a challenge to an easy, uncontested high ball.

All of which makes no real odds.

The position of the ball is almost irrelevant and if Ian read the posts between his we'd get somewhere.

The defender tripped Long, the referee judged it to be accidental (we must presume). Many refs would have given a penalty And as has been mentioned the ref at Villa did give one against Sonko). Questions of whether the defensive team 'gained an advantage' are irrelevant.