What are we here for?

238 posts
Mr Irascible

Re: What are we here for?

by Mr Irascible » 30 Jun 2009 16:00

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted!

Where in the objectives of the club do ambition, promotion, entertainment etc stand? If our only aim on business is to make the profits then, as a long standing and (one would have thought) valued customer where does the club deliver to me?

Being a fan is a highly emotional attachment and one that can cost a lot in terms of time and money...but if our only aim is to be a trader of players then what I am expecting to see this season...a team of players with maybe some future ahead of them...if sold to the highest bidder when they reach a higher standard?

I am becoming a bit disillusioned...we lost our place at the top table through complacency...will we spend the next few years in the Div2/Div 3 levels of the past.

I think it is time to hear from the board about their true mission!

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 16:01

Take care all, be safe and good luck this season

Regards

The most successful club south of london - PFC

x

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jun 2009 16:04

Mr Irascible I think it is time to hear from the board about their true mission!

May I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some time earlier - especially with regard to "the board?"

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jun 2009 16:06

Carlin20 Take care all, be safe and good luck this season

Regards

x

Thanks m8!

Didn't have you down as a Porto fan tho x

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 16:07

boy1985
Carlin20 Take care all, be safe and good luck this season

Regards

x

Thanks m8!

Didn't have you down as a Porto fan tho x

Pompey.

Going to bed now bye.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 16:15

How many clubs are there "south of london"?

Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Southampton
Brighton HA
Yeovil
Exeter City
Torquay United
AFC Bournemouth

Illustrious company, indeed. :roll:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jun 2009 16:17

Thaumagurist* How many clubs are there "south of london"?

Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Southampton
Brighton HA
Yeovil
Exeter City
Torquay United
AFC Bournemouth

Illustrious company, indeed. :roll:

Torquay United > Portsmouth. Nicer beaches.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jun 2009 16:21

and more importantly KFC > PFC

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 16:23

boy1985 and more importantly KFC > PFC

That's finger-licking good!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Jun 2009 16:32

Thaumagurist*
boy1985 and more importantly KFC > PFC

That's finger-licking good!

You'll like this one Spacey.....

PFC is in fact what they call KFC in the French speaking parts of Canada...Poulet Fried Chicken.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jun 2009 16:33

Mr Irascible As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted!

Where in the objectives of the club do ambition, promotion, entertainment etc stand? If our only aim on business is to make the profits then, as a long standing and (one would have thought) valued customer where does the club deliver to me?

Being a fan is a highly emotional attachment and one that can cost a lot in terms of time and money...but if our only aim is to be a trader of players then what I am expecting to see this season...a team of players with maybe some future ahead of them...if sold to the highest bidder when they reach a higher standard?

I am becoming a bit disillusioned...we lost our place at the top table through complacency...will we spend the next few years in the Div2/Div 3 levels of the past.

Maybe there was a bit of complacency in 2007, but I seem to recall that it spread pretty much throughout the whole area, including the supporters. And why not? We finished 8th and only lost one player, albeit one of our most influential. Surely all that was needed was to bring in one or two decent replacements and we'd be fine? Having failed to anticipate the sheer arrogant greediness of players who have singularly failed to match the achievements of '05-'07 since they departed, I think the club has been doing its darndest to get us back up to the top flight. There wasn't the anticipated fire sale last season, but given that we are not at the top of the food chain it was inevitable that we'd lose players we'd done very well to hold on to up to now. Even Man Utd couldn't keep hold of the world player of the year.

So now we draw breath and rebuild. There's an element of risk in appointing a young, hungry and highly thought-of manager, but it feels like the mission is to return to the Pardew era, albeit one division higher. It's about injecting that breath of fresh determined young air whilst maximising what profit we can from the inevitable departures, making sure the loss of the parachute doesn't see us bumping to the ground too firmly. That's how I read it anyway.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 30 Jun 2009 16:37

LOLZ

let's be honest, PFC > RFC at the mo

we were top dogs in the South for one season and it was quaLOLity. still. better being 2nd than 3rd downwards.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jun 2009 16:37

We're here for promotion next season and progression, which will happen.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jun 2009 16:38

Mr Irascible As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted!

Who cares if we do, it's all about the beer anyway.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jun 2009 16:40

Mr Irascible As a fan of 40 plus years I have followed the club through thick and thin...mainly thin. One of the happiest days of my life was at Leicester when we finally reached the Premiership. One fantastic year followed then the disappointment of the near relegation. Throughout the recent years I have been a firm supporter of the board as they aim to build a self-sufficient club and I can see that the sale of Doyle helps to make more funds available.....but....

I am saddened to read on the web site that this represents "excellent business for the club". In basic factual terms I can see that buying players and making profits on their sale does indeed represent good business.

But where in the objectives of the club do ambition, promotion, entertainment etc stand? If our only aim on business is to make the profits then, as a long standing and (one would have thought) valued customer where does the club deliver to me?

Do you think clubs without a decent level of success make much money oh wise one?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2009 16:51

Carlin20
Hoop Blah
Carlin20 Not only that mind, Newcastle have played over 200 european ties, Sunderland have played 3.

...odd, I could've sworn it was all about trophies not number of games played!

I couldn't care less who is bigger, better, more potential or which club has the hairiest bollocks, Reading is my club and I love it (most of the time anyway!) and I wouldn't want to swap it for any other, especially one as jumped up and hung up on non-existence size and importance as Pompey.

There is always a bigger and better club just round the corner, so I don't see why you're that interested in it. If it was the be all and end all you certainly woudn't be a Pompey fan Carlin.

Non existance size? Oh the irony. As I said, you can't give us sh*t because you're not as good.

Bigger and better club?

Pompey - 4 majors
Saints - 1 major

Pompey record crowd - 52k
Saints - 32k

:lol:

I don't give a shit because it really doesn't have any influence on my love for Reading FC. In fact, to be honest, I fell in love with a tin pot club who didn't really have much in the way of a future and at times that love has been severyly tested as we've grown into the modern day football business flirting with the countries elite. I often glance enviously at the lower leagues and pine for the days when supporting my club was a lot more 'earthy' and sometimes a lot more fun.

As for Pompey and their non-existance size, you seem to have a bit of a complex around it for some reason....a bit of size envy perhaps? Feeling a little inadequate maybe? Pompey are a mid sized English league club, nothing more nothing less. They've had more success than Reading yes, have they bigger crowds and more potential? Not really, but like I said earlier, I really couldn't care less.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Jun 2009 17:19

The basic fact is that Madejski does want to sell the club and if needs be,he'll look to sell as quickly as possible. That's why he wants to take as much money out of the club into his own backpocket.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 17:21

LoyalRoyalFan The basic fact is that Madejski does want to sell the club and if needs be,he'll look to sell as quickly as possible. That's why he wants to take as much money out of the club into his own backpocket.

That's where I think you're wrong. I don't think he'll sell it to just about anyone who meets his price - I think he'd want the person taking over to be able to carry on the good work he's done.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 30 Jun 2009 17:24

maf82 Yep we need answers,soon as season ticket deadline goes,are best player is no longer here,are we going to get value next year?and also brendan rodgers is talking bull crap if he thinks we will go back up,every reading fan knows we will struggle this season.this will be my last season ticket this season if we dont show a little bit of ambition ,20 yrs i been going even in the old days at least we had something to look forward to.

what, like the 5-0 defeats under the hapless bullivant,pants day,burns calamity 7 signings and regular crowds of 3000 at elm park against the likes of chester and hartlepool??!!-you are welcome to that!!! Id like to think that the appointment of Rodgers will see Reading start to play with his own brand of football including some young talent, it might not be enough to see us promoted but as long as we are in the thick of it re a promotion/playoff chase it is not a bad starting point. In relation the the future at RFC, who knows-in my lifetime we may well get relegated to the third tier again. At the end of the day we have come from the lower reaches of English football so history would suggest there is a chance we are back there-for now though we have a well run club with bright ideas so lets enjoy watching our football again rather than obsessivly look into the pre match stats and league tables which have occured given our recent succcesses (or ultimate failures).

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Jun 2009 17:26

Thaumagurist*
LoyalRoyalFan The basic fact is that Madejski does want to sell the club and if needs be,he'll look to sell as quickly as possible. That's why he wants to take as much money out of the club into his own backpocket.

That's where I think you're wrong. I don't think he'll sell it to just about anyone who meets his price - I think he'd want the person taking over to be able to carry on the good work he's done.

But who would buy the club?

238 posts