Na - no chance
33%
Ask me again in January
36%

Total votes: 225
Thou Voice

Re: Are we good enough for League 1?

by Thou Voice » 26 Sep 2009 22:21

No we are not - we are going ot havea vvvvvvvvvvery bad time next season.

DO YOU SEE? :shock:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2009 22:24

winchester_royal
Terminal Boardom Does the truth hurt little Mummy's boy?

LOL.

Truly pathetic.

No need to punish yourself on the quality of your posts.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 26 Sep 2009 22:38

I know you're after a wind-up here, but I'll bite - in what way were we '90 minutes from returning to the Premier League' in May? Even ignoring the matter of the final, the way we were playing certainly didn't give me that degree of optimism.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2009 22:44

prostak I know you're after a wind-up here, but I'll bite - in what way were we '90 minutes from returning to the Premier League' in May? Even ignoring the matter of the final, the way we were playing certainly didn't give me that degree of optimism.

No wind up. Had we beaten Birmingham City we would have finished 2nd. HTH.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 26 Sep 2009 22:46

Terminal Boardom
prostak I know you're after a wind-up here, but I'll bite - in what way were we '90 minutes from returning to the Premier League' in May? Even ignoring the matter of the final, the way we were playing certainly didn't give me that degree of optimism.

OK, I concede that. Genuinely, though, how optimistic were you about winning that?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2009 22:49

It is the Reading way to screw up spectacularly. I sincerely hoped that we would do it and IIRC, the support that day was amazing. That said, we had so many chances last season to accumulate the points that would have got us back up but it is just as well we didn't. We would be below Pompey and that is saying something. Would BR be our manager? There's a thought.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Sep 2009 11:59

prostak
Terminal Boardom

OK, I concede that. Genuinely, though, how optimistic were you about winning that?

I thought we would beat Brum but that Sheff Utd would beat Palace.........

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are we going down?

by facaldaqui » 27 Sep 2009 13:27

I don't think we will go down, but I think we will be close. What we have going for us is the ability to spend in the window. Last year, Charlton got themselves into a mess because they depended too much on loan signings and did not replace them during the window. Also, they idiotically let Varney go.

Usually the league also ends up with one team in such financial difficulty that it falls through the trapdoor: last season it was Southampton. Hopefully there will be several teams in worse straits than us, but it doesn't look like we'll be winning many games until we get a couple of effective strikers.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 27 Sep 2009 14:20

2 years ago we were 20 minutes away from staying in the Premiership for a second season, until Fulham scored. Indeed we utterly bottled it in the weeks before that - it should never have happened. 3 years ago we were 1 goal away from qualifying for European football. Whether we go down or not, the fact that we're seriously discussing it and contemplating League 1 football means that some serious mistakes have been made at this club in recent years.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 27 Sep 2009 15:01

rhroyal 2 years ago we were 20 minutes away from staying in the Premiership for a second season, until Fulham scored. Indeed we utterly bottled it in the weeks before that - it should never have happened. 3 years ago we were 1 goal away from qualifying for European football. Whether we go down or not, the fact that we're seriously discussing it and contemplating League 1 football means that some serious mistakes have been made at this club in recent years.

Or that we were playing WAY above ourselves, and in our first premiership season we were taken for granted which gave us a bit of a cutting-edge, whereas the second season (Just like hull, who have spent quite a few bob in the summer, are in relegation zone of the premiership atm) we were kind of found out and pegged back by most teams. So ultimately back to where we belong, there or there abouts in the championship (Y)

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 27 Sep 2009 16:46

First Premiership season was above ourselves, and considering that back in 2000 we were in the old division 2, we maybe shouldn't expect that sort of success all the time. However Wigan have established in the Premiership, as Stoke appear to be doing, not to mention the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham. We should have aimed to emulate that after such a brilliant 1st season.

Even following on from relegation, with the state the club was in we should never have been looking at a relegation fight in our second Championship season when we still have parachute payments.

I never expected us to be pushing for 8th place and Europe every season, but it's taken a lot of big errors for the club to fall this far.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Sep 2009 16:52

It Is What It Is
rhroyal 2 years ago we were 20 minutes away from staying in the Premiership for a second season, until Fulham scored. Indeed we utterly bottled it in the weeks before that - it should never have happened. 3 years ago we were 1 goal away from qualifying for European football. Whether we go down or not, the fact that we're seriously discussing it and contemplating League 1 football means that some serious mistakes have been made at this club in recent years.

Or that we were playing WAY above ourselves, and in our first premiership season we were taken for granted which gave us a bit of a cutting-edge, whereas the second season (Just like hull, who have spent quite a few bob in the summer, are in relegation zone of the premiership atm) we were kind of found out and pegged back by most teams. So ultimately back to where we belong, there or there abouts in the championship (Y)

I think you'll find Hull got sussed way quicker than we did.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 27 Sep 2009 18:05

Franchise FC
It Is What It Is

I think you'll find Hull got sussed way quicker than we did.

Hull have not been sussed out, they just plain shit. They stayed up last season off the back of 2-3 lucky 1-0 wins early season which were against the run of play.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 27 Sep 2009 18:43

DelBoyRodders
Hull have not been sussed out, they just plain shit. They stayed up last season off the back of 2-3 lucky 1-0 wins early season which were against the run of play.

http://www.videohighlights.net/27092008 ... er-league/

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 28 Sep 2009 13:53

Still say noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and that we'll be fine.

However its going to be more of a grind then maybe I'd first thought.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 03 Oct 2009 22:14

after today, unless there is changes we will go down

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Oct 2009 22:28

I will say it again: Yes, this team is going down.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Oct 2009 22:31

Ark Royal I will say it again: Yes, this team is going down.

Plastic!

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 03 Oct 2009 22:43

adamh4608 after today, unless there is changes we will go down

Indeed you are correct - I just happen to believe that Rodgers might just learn to change things in the right way rather than asking Royalee to suggest a formation (that doesn't involve Kebe of course...)

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 03 Oct 2009 23:34

Murts-is-Lej
adamh4608 after today, unless there is changes we will go down

Indeed you are correct - I just happen to believe that Rodgers might just learn to change things in the right way rather than asking Royalee to suggest a formation (that doesn't involve Kebe of course...)

Can't see it. He's too arrogant to accept that his methods are not working and that he has to change his methods. If he stays, we will go down playing football his way.

136 posts