10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

by Sun Tzu » 05 Nov 2009 20:56

Ryn As actual first teamers (Who wouldn't get called up for the reserves), how many do we have? Ten?

You really think clubs at our level run a completly seperate reserve squad ?

if you're not starting for the first team on Saturday then you play for the reserves midweek.

We will never have 24 players who are solely 'first team' players and then another 16 who are the reserves.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Nov 2009 21:38

Royalee
wolsey
Royalee Coppell didn't have the fans on his back right away like Rodgers did at QPR where he got a lot of abuse given the short time he's been in charge.

Obviously the Chelsea experience will have helped Rodgers, but he was obviously doing a lot of good (as we are seeing now from some of our academy prospects which he was involved in bringing to the club in his first spell here) to get such a job in the first place given his relatively modest background. Of course Brendan's not got the sort of experience Coppell has (but that didn't appear to have much of a benefit when it came to turning around poor form in the last two seasons), but he certainly has got something about him and I like that - judging by how the squad have taken to him and the high spirits despite the slow start, they can see it too.

Back in mindless optimist mode I see. Nice to what one positive result (albeit against a severely weakened tea) can do.

We've had arguably our best striker out injured, our captain injured for most of the season, our most creative player not fully fit until recently, our best winger injured in McAnuff and a complete overhaul - is that not a severely weakened team?

Best striker isn't saying much. Ingimarsson has been back from injury for 7 of the 15 games which is almost half, by no stretch of the imagination most of the season, and he really isn't significantly better than any of our centrebacks. As the statistics show so far this season.

Our most creative player has done bugger all in his time here and McAnuff has done no more than Kebe this season.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Nov 2009 07:55

Ian Royal Ingimarsson has been back from injury for 7 of the 15 games which is almost half, by no stretch of the imagination most of the season

WHAT ! By ANY definition missing 8 games from 15 means you have been out for MOST of the season. He's missed more games than he's played..... add in another game missed thanks to suspension and it's 6 from 15 he's been available for.

As for statistics. You are in danger of becoming the new Snowball !

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 06 Nov 2009 09:01

Number 11
Rodgers must surely have learnt by now that the PA Announcer is a complete tosser who must bear his share of responsibility for the dismal home form. Mr Dieingly Sad must go and why this cannot become orthdoxy on Hob Nob is beyond me.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Nov 2009 09:49

Negative_Jeff Number 11
Rodgers must surely have learnt by now that the PA Announcer is a complete tosser who must bear his share of responsibility for the dismal home form. Mr Dieingly Sad must go and why this cannot become orthdoxy on Hob Nob is beyond me.

The only member of the match day squad that has been involved in every single home game in 2009 is Kingsley.

We have our scapegoat !

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 06 Nov 2009 11:23

Royalee This is the worst post I've ever read on here...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hard to believe!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Nov 2009 12:38

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal Ingimarsson has been back from injury for 7 of the 15 games which is almost half, by no stretch of the imagination most of the season

WHAT ! By ANY definition missing 8 games from 15 means you have been out for MOST of the season. He's missed more games than he's played..... add in another game missed thanks to suspension and it's 6 from 15 he's been available for.

Most is not just 51% and greater IMO. There is a difference between majority and most. There was no mention of suspension and that is the player's fault. One more game and he hasn't missed most of the season through injury, even by your definition.

There is a world of difference between snowball posting selective statistics and failing to have any analysis or them and me using numbers to back up my analysis and arguement.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Nov 2009 13:09

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

Ian Royal Most is not just 51% and greater IMO.

That just makes you wrong though ! You won;t be able to find a difenition of 'most' that doesn't mean 'the greater part of'. Ivar has, unquestionably, missed most of the season so far. Your original point was actually even more unblieveable becasue you calimed that by 'no stretch of the imagination' has he missed most. He has, it's a simple fact !

Ian Royal There was no mention of suspension and that is the player's fault. One more game and he hasn't missed most of the season through injury, even by your definition.

The suspension reduces the number fo games he could have played. You made no mention as to what the cause might be. He has missed that game.

Ian Royal There is a world of difference between snowball posting selective statistics and failing to have any analysis or them and me using numbers to back up my analysis and arguement.

Not if that involves a massive twisting not only of fact but the English language ! The claim that 'most' can only be defined as being a lot more than half when it clearly cannot just makes anything you are trying to argue look extremely weak.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Nov 2009 13:15

I made reference to the cause used by the poster I was responding to. Suspension is irrelevant to the point he has missed half the season through injury.

I really don't care what you think.

Most used when we are talking 8 of 15 games is misrepresenting the case. Again you twist what I say. I didn't say it had to be a lot more than half. In the context just saying he has missed most of the season through injury is misleading. I provided the actual numbers which providers a fairer reflection for what actually happened.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Nov 2009 13:32

Ian Royal
Most used when we are talking 8 of 15 games is misrepresenting the case. Again you twist what I say. I didn't say it had to be a lot more than half. In the context just saying he has missed most of the season through injury is misleading. I provided the actual numbers which providers a fairer reflection for what actually happened.

Whereas saying that by 'no stretch of the imagination' is more than half of something 'most' is just perverse. Ivar HAS missed most of the season. He also missed a lot of last season and all of preseason so even when he started playing he would have been at less than peak fitness. By any criteria we have been without a fully fit Ivar for MOST of this season although of course very soon the maths will change.

If i were you I would accept gracefully that I was wrong and get back to making a relevant point.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Nov 2009 17:24

What ever, I really don't give a shit what you say any more.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Nov 2009 17:30

Ian Royal What ever, I really don't give a shit what you say any more.

Odd attitude on a discussion board.

I don't especially care what you say but I'd suspect you must be about 14 judging by your inability to have a discussion in which someone else has a view that differs to your own.

Ryn

by Ryn » 09 Nov 2009 09:20

Sun Tzu
Ryn As actual first teamers (Who wouldn't get called up for the reserves), how many do we have? Ten?

You really think clubs at our level run a completly seperate reserve squad ?

if you're not starting for the first team on Saturday then you play for the reserves midweek.

We will never have 24 players who are solely 'first team' players and then another 16 who are the reserves.....

Your first teamers are your best players, who are starting every week and not playing for the reserves midweek.

Does Fernando Torres get a run out midweek in Rafa hasn't played him on Saturday? Michael Ballack isn't used one weekend, so he plays half a game against Aldershot reserves to keep his fitness levels up?

Don't forget we're operating a world class model and should be up the top of the table.

Look, the point I was making was that all of our players are of a similar (average) standard, and we don't really have any players that are guaranteed starters week in week out because they are leaps and bounds more able than other players.

You're a very peculiar and pedantic man Sun Tzu. Do you work as an auditor or something? :wink:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Nov 2009 09:45

Ryn
Your first teamers are your best players, who are starting every week and not playing for the reserves midweek.

Does Fernando Torres get a run out midweek in Rafa hasn't played him on Saturday? Michael Ballack isn't used one weekend, so he plays half a game against Aldershot reserves to keep his fitness levels up?

Don't forget we're operating a world class model and should be up the top of the table.

Look, the point I was making was that all of our players are of a similar (average) standard, and we don't really have any players that are guaranteed starters week in week out because they are leaps and bounds more able than other players.

You're a very peculiar and pedantic man Sun Tzu. Do you work as an auditor or something? :wink:

LOL at making any kind of comparison to Liverpool ! You've spotted of course that Liverpool have first team games almost every mid week !!
Most of the top Prem clubs run a totally different system to us. They have a first team squad and a reserve squad. If you'd been to any reserves games when we were in the Prem you would have seen that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc brought teams of kids with the odd name (Ashley Cole) getting a run after injury. We've never really done that, our reserves are our first teamers not currently playing bolstered by youngsters.

I don;t disagree with the concept that a nice settled first team would be nice !

As for being peculiar - I'd guess having a bit of a balanced view is odd on here !

Pedantic ? If Ian Royal makes a clearly ludicrous claim then it seems fair to challenge it ! You'd rather people just invented 'facts' ?

Ryn

by Ryn » 09 Nov 2009 10:06

Not at all, you just seem to enjoy reading things the wrong way! :D

Having a balanced view is something that others definitely don't have on this board, and it is refreshing, but you seem to like playing devil's advocate and not reading the post in the way it was meant to. It's not always possible to elocute a point in a clear manner in one post on a board, and I applaud for for challenging posters on that.

I actually think that Ian Royal is one of the more rational posters on this forum, and reading the posts between the two of you makes for some entertaining reading.

Carry on with my respect and differing opinion.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2009 20:12

Ryn Not at all, you just seem to enjoy reading things the wrong way! :D

Having a balanced view is something that others definitely don't have on this board, and it is refreshing, but you seem to like playing devil's advocate and not reading the post in the way it was meant to. It's not always possible to elocute a point in a clear manner in one post on a board, and I applaud for for challenging posters on that.

I actually think that Ian Royal is one of the more rational posters on this forum, and reading the posts between the two of you makes for some entertaining reading.

Carry on with my respect and differing opinion.

Cheers Ryn.

Someone who can understand that when challenging a misleading and foolish point it is fine to add a dab of rheteric or exaggeration for emphasis. I didn't expect to be brutalised by the pedant police.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Nov 2009 00:08

5 pages???

RODGERS OUT

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 11 Nov 2009 04:25

+1 on the PA announcer. Can't be blamed about what happens on the pitch, but he always has been cringeworthy, embarrassing for the club and annoying. What's with the competition this season?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 11 Nov 2009 10:01

rhroyal +1 on the PA announcer. Can't be blamed about what happens on the pitch, but he always has been cringeworthy, embarrassing for the club and annoying. What's with the competition this season?

The PA announcer can be blamed for what happens on the pitch though. The opposition must be wetting themselves so much because of him it must be worth a goal start.
Here are three one off measures that might assist the supporters in influencing a belated home win against Blackpool, and Rodgers should get on the case:
Stand the PA announcer down.
Grant an amnesty to all banned supporters over say the last fifteen years and let them in for free.
Revert to unreserved seating.

Urzz!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Nov 2009 10:55

Ian Royal
Someone who can understand that when challenging a misleading and foolish point it is fine to add a dab of rheteric or exaggeration for emphasis. I didn't expect to be brutalised by the pedant police.

Ian Royal's Xmas list :

1. A thicker skin !!!

Lovely idea that the best way to challenge something you think is 'foolish or misleading' is to use something even more foolish and misleading ! We all have our own ways of doing things.

I also hope this has been the worst 'brutalising' you'll ever experience.
:lol: