Who still wants Madejski to sell?

124 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who still wants Madejski to sell?

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2010 07:38

Sun Tzu
BR2
Incidentally for such a successful businessman he must have badly mismanaged matters to be so seriously affected by the credit crunch that he had to sell so many players

Which players did he have to sell as a result of the credit crunch ?

The ones to clear the overdraft, called in due to the credit crunch??? And before you try to spin it out it is in b/w right in the financial statement the club issued.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 11,00.html

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Feb 2010 07:51

Harpers So Solid Crew
Sun Tzu
BR2
Incidentally for such a successful businessman he must have badly mismanaged matters to be so seriously affected by the credit crunch that he had to sell so many players

Which players did he have to sell as a result of the credit crunch ?

The ones to clear the overdraft, called in due to the credit crunch??? And before you try to spin it out it is in b/w right in the financial statement the club issued.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 11,00.html

But were they actually sold to clear the overdraft? It could just as easily be argued that they had to be sold because their wages would have crippled us.

So there were two reasons why they had to be sold - which had the greatest importance is something we'll never know. But to say they were sold just because we needed to clear the overdraft is over-simplifying a bit.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 16 Feb 2010 07:57

Realistically Doyle was sold because he'd agreed to stay for a season but wanted to be in the Prem. Hunt likewise ( and HNA was pretty united in it's feelings that he was a waste of space and should be shown the door). I seem to recall Bikey also making comments about wanting a move, especially as he couldn;t get a regular starting place.

Undeniably the money we raised (pretty good money too) was instrumental in allowing us to bolster the finances but as Dirk says they weren;t sold JUST to pay off the overdraft, their sale allowed that to happen but at least 2 of the 3 would have gone anyway given we didn;t get promoted.

So stop the spin 2-0 !!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2010 08:15

I think on this occasion I will take the clubs word that they raised £11m from the sale of the three players to help repay the £13.765million including the losses . Imagine the shite we would have been in if we did not have those 3 to sell.

Luckily we were able to ship out most of the high earners around the summer as well, reducing wages to a more reasonable level.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 16 Feb 2010 10:14

Woodcote Royal If only fans like you could see beyond blaming the Chairman for everything that has gone wrong over the last 3 seasons rather than ignoring the obvious culprit because he still walks on water in your eyes.

If only more fans could sit back and see that things haven't been _that_ bad in the last 3 years.

Anyone would think we've been facing the apocalypse, reading some posts on here.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2010 10:31

What we seem to be doing is waiting for the apocalypse though, almost hoping that others go down the pan, so we can be elevated to a higher position, from a godlier than tho attitude.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 16 Feb 2010 10:34

Really? I think Madejski's just trying to run the club to a set of reasonably sensible rules, and if Championship football is not sustainable within those rules then so be it. My attitude is that he has a more realistic understanding of how to run a football club than any fan, so I let him get on with it. He hasn't made a bad job of it so far.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Feb 2010 10:42

Harpers So Solid Crew nope lost me there. Palace owe money outside the club, whereas at RFC it is a debt to JM.

I dont think i have ever suggested that JM should throw more money at the club. He could have put another £10m in when we were in the Prem, but had it failed we wouldjust owe him more money.

loan ten million to a club that get relegated means you cant really add it to the asking price , so in effect he loses ten million

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Feb 2010 10:43

There is a hint of the attitude from some quarters - not really the club, though - along the lines of what HSSC is saying.

I'd rather we didn't have to rely on that myself.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Feb 2010 10:44

[quote="Woodcote Royal"]How many in his position would not have had to throw money at certain parts of their empire in the current climate? He's a good businessman not a genius :|

The point is he's still here, as is RFC, whereas many have already gone to the wall with others destined to follow.

Despite all the ignorant whinging from the fan base we know our club will survive under SJM and that it's staff will never have to worry about being paid....................that counts as success in Gordon's recession.[/quote]

tory spin :roll:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Feb 2010 11:50

Harpers So Solid Crew What we seem to be doing is waiting for the apocalypse though, almost hoping that others go down the pan, so we can be elevated to a higher position, from a godlier than tho attitude.

Yes that is the right tactic. A lot of clubs above us are in severe danger of going bust and in the end the financially prudent clubs will end up at the top of the pile. It will take years to work through but it will happen IMO.

fruits

by fruits » 16 Feb 2010 12:06

Me , he has made mistakes over the years but I would like him to stay he has been very shrewd
the recession, still has a long way to run and I am sure many other clubs will go to the wall, with Mr Mad in charge we are unlikely to be one of them.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 16 Feb 2010 12:39

pass me the fence and ill firmly sit on it :D

where as i obviously see the benefits of his prudence and insistance the club supports itself rather than just pumping aimless cash into agents pockets. i also want a leader whos heart is in it. SJM was never a lover of football and only took over as a gesture of good will. and as a result after building us up as an investment, he stood still too long and we went backwards. i think most people agree that sidwell is where it all started going wrong and that stone sits squarely on his shoulders!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2010 18:10

brendywendy
Harpers So Solid Crew nope lost me there. Palace owe money outside the club, whereas at RFC it is a debt to JM.

I dont think i have ever suggested that JM should throw more money at the club. He could have put another £10m in when we were in the Prem, but had it failed we wouldjust owe him more money.

loan ten million to a club that get relegated means you cant really add it to the asking price , so in effect he loses ten million

That depends what the loan is for, buy a decent player or two, with sell on minimums and relegation clauses like we had for Hunt and Doyle, and that £10m i s a lesser risk, but still a risk. And it all relies on the owner having the money to put into the club.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 16 Feb 2010 20:06

Harpers So Solid Crew I think on this occasion I will take the clubs word that they raised £11m from the sale of the three players to help repay the £13.765million including the losses . Imagine the shite we would have been in if we did not have those 3 to sell.

I think it's a perfectly fair interpretation to say that the players were leaving anyway but as a result of getting as much for them as we did we paid off the overdraft.

I think any idea that Doyle and Hunt would have started 2009-10 for us is simply delusional whether the overdraft had been called in or not. And I rather suspect Bikey's performance at Burnley meant he had burnt his bridges with us. A fortunate conjunction of events I would suggest.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 16 Feb 2010 20:41

brendywendy
Woodcote Royal How many in his position would not have had to throw money at certain parts of their empire in the current climate? He's a good businessman not a genius :|

The point is he's still here, as is RFC, whereas many have already gone to the wall with others destined to follow.

Despite all the ignorant whinging from the fan base we know our club will survive under SJM and that it's staff will never have to worry about being paid....................that counts as success in Gordon's recession.[/quote]

tory spin :roll:

100% correct brendywendy, Gordon Brown Chancellor and laterly Prime Minister for the last 13? yeras has had nothing whatsoever to do with the current economic plight of the UK. :lol:

Anyway back to Sir JM. We are where we are. Overdrafts paid off, loans etc gone (apart from the ones to JM of course) cloth cut, players departed, 'World Class Model' manger came and went etc. etc.
I believe how history will view JM could well be formed over the next two to three years, if his financial prudence results in stability and a steady progression upwards in the league then top marks JM. If, however, the club enters a downward spiral of declining quality, poor results, lower revenues and even more cloth cutting he may well be remembered as the man who had it all and mismanaged it all away.

Interesting times ahead.

0-7

by 0-7 » 16 Feb 2010 20:52

Wonder if he still looking for a billionaire...........he should know that billionaires don't waste their time at car boot sales. It just covers up my firm view that all talk of wanting to sell the club is just a tease as he loses his profile overnight without Reading FC and the MADEJSKI stadium.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 16 Feb 2010 20:52

0-7 Wonder if he still looking for a billionaire...........he should know that billionaires don't waste their time at car boor sales. It just covers up my firm view that all talk of wanting to sell the club is just a tease as he loses his profile overnight without Reading FC and the MADEJSKI stadium.

I think you need lessons in being a WUM.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 16 Feb 2010 20:56

Sun Tzu
Harpers So Solid Crew I think on this occasion I will take the clubs word that they raised £11m from the sale of the three players to help repay the £13.765million including the losses . Imagine the shite we would have been in if we did not have those 3 to sell.

I think it's a perfectly fair interpretation to say that the players were leaving anyway but as a result of getting as much for them as we did we paid off the overdraft.

I think any idea that Doyle and Hunt would have started 2009-10 for us is simply delusional whether the overdraft had been called in or not. And I rather suspect Bikey's performance at Burnley meant he had burnt his bridges with us. A fortunate conjunction of events I would suggest.

Don’t think its perfectly fair at all! Hunt, Doyle yes. Hahnemann, Bikey, Rosenior, Harper defiantly did not want to leave (spoke Marcus,Bikey and Harper myself). Those decisions were made purely on financial grounds.

I find it amusing that some people are still in the fantasy land of believing that there was no link between last summer’s player fire sale and the rather large debt the club had managed to run up (despite financial prudence, not putting the club at risk, not gambling with our future etc.etc)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 16 Feb 2010 21:07

Northern Git
Sun Tzu I think it's a perfectly fair interpretation to say that the players were leaving anyway but as a result of getting as much for them as we did we paid off the overdraft.

Don’t think its perfectly fair at all! Hunt, Doyle yes. Hahnemann, Bikey, Rosenior, Harper defiantly did not want to leave (spoke Marcus,Bikey and Harper myself). Those decisions were made purely on financial grounds.

I find it amusing that some people are still in the fantasy land of believing that there was no link between last summer’s player fire sale and the rather large debt the club had managed to run up (despite financial prudence, not putting the club at risk, not gambling with our future etc.etc)

Some confusion in your reply.
We didn't sell Marcus so he's not part of the issue. I don;t think many questioned the fact that it was time for a change at No 1 and i can;t see he would have stayed as a bench warmer. His success at Wolves has however been excellent and I have been really pleased for him.
Rosenior and Harper left after the start of the season and some time after the overdraft was called in. We didn't sell either of them at that point.
There was no fire sale at any point - we got more than market value for all 3 of the players in question. And no one had denied that the selling of them allowed us to meet the over draft requirement.
But I repeat my belief that at least 2 and probably all 3 would have gone anyway. Bikey may not have 'wanted' to go (although I seem to recall him saying something different....) but he really can; t have believed that after his behaviour at Burnley he had a future with us ?

124 posts