Back from the Game - Coventry City

124 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Coventry City

by Sarah Star » 06 Apr 2010 12:56

I was asked why there were coaches from Holland at the game and I've got no idea. Why were they there? :?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 06 Apr 2010 13:01

when was the last time a 15 goal a season Championship striker went for 'shitloads' of money? If Sigg goes it'll be for £2m absolute tops, closer to 1 I reckon.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 13:05

Wax Jacket when was the last time a 15 goal a season Championship striker went for 'shitloads' of money? If Sigg goes it'll be for £2m absolute tops, closer to 1 I reckon.

He's not played as a striker for most of the season and wouldn;t be bought as a striker.

He'd also not be bought because he's scored 15 goals, he'd be bought because he has immense potential.

Better to look at some of the other talented young players who have moved from the Championship to the Prem and compare, and I really don;t know what the likes of Huddlestone and Ramsey went for but I recall Southampton making big money on a couple of youngsters.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Apr 2010 13:25

I think Sun Tzu has it about right, your paying for his ability and potential not just the fact he's scored so many goals (and coming from midfield as well not just upfront).

Having said that, Chopra went for £5m not so long ago, Kenwyn Jones £6m, Gareth Bale something around that, Victor Moses £2.5m, Ramsey £5m and Adam Johnson £7m.

There are definately still big fees paid for young Championship players.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 06 Apr 2010 13:31

Wax Jacket when was the last time a 15 goal a season Championship striker went for 'shitloads' of money? If Sigg goes it'll be for £2m absolute tops, closer to 1 I reckon.

Are you having a laugh? Why would we sell at that price?

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 06 Apr 2010 13:36

I agree with WJ - Would be very surprised if we get more than £2m for him. Not that I don't think he's worth more mind!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Apr 2010 13:37

i just dont see us selling for 1-2 million

worth more to us here

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 13:40

Hugo Boss I agree with WJ - Would be very surprised if we get more than £2m for him. Not that I don't think he's worth more mind!!

If he's worth more what would be your logic for why we would sell him cheap ?

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 06 Apr 2010 13:52

I just think people are being over-optimistic on what is a realistic value. Obviously if we were to sell then I hope we would get more but considering he's only proven himself for one season (unlike Doyle etc. who had done well for 3 seasons odd) then that amount is about right i'd say.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bloke is a superb footballer and I hope we can keep hold of him but I think somewhere in the region of £2m is a realistic figure that the Club will most probably accept.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Apr 2010 13:56

not of i was in ruddy well charge hugo!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 13:58

Hugo Boss I just think people are being over-optimistic on what is a realistic value. Obviously if we were to sell then I hope we would get more but considering he's only proven himself for one season (unlike Doyle etc. who had done well for 3 seasons odd) then that amount is about right i'd say.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bloke is a superb footballer and I hope we can keep hold of him but I think somewhere in the region of £2m is a realistic figure that the Club will most probably accept.

So isn;t it likley the club would keep him for one more season, see his value double and then consdier selling him rather than just accept a low valuation ?

There still doesn;t seem any logic to the idea that we'll just dump him for whatever offer may come in.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 06 Apr 2010 14:02

I don't disagree... But as we all well know, logic doesn't always apply in football!! :lol:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 14:06

Hugo Boss I don't disagree... But as we all well know, logic doesn't always apply in football!! :lol:

Indeed !

We're all just guessing really aren't we !

I just think that of late we've generally done pretty well with our player sales. We've managed to get good prices for almost everyone and haven't let anyone go 'cheap' - only possible exceptions are unproven youngsters but even then we've built in sell on clauses which have meant we've ended up doing well. Gylfi is a totally different kettle of fish to Cox / Henderson / Tyson who moved because they weren't going to make it here but brought the money in on their second move.

What would be nice would be for Gylfi to get a game for Iceland, being a full international would add to his value should we decide to sell at some point.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Apr 2010 14:14

Sun Tzu So isn;t it likley the club would keep him for one more season, see his value double and then consdier selling him rather than just accept a low valuation ?

There still doesn;t seem any logic to the idea that we'll just dump him for whatever offer may come in.

The only flaw in that logic is that a lot of the decision rests with the player.

Yes the club can turn down every offer they receive but if the player fancies the move then they're probably better off getting the best deal they can out of it and moving on. We've seen what a difference it can make when you're playing the odd player who isn't quite 100% committed to the cause.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 06 Apr 2010 14:17

Sun Tzu
Hugo Boss I just think people are being over-optimistic on what is a realistic value. Obviously if we were to sell then I hope we would get more but considering he's only proven himself for one season (unlike Doyle etc. who had done well for 3 seasons odd) then that amount is about right i'd say.

So isn;t it likley the club would keep him for one more season, see his value double and then consdier selling him rather than just accept a low valuation ?

+1.

People should keep in mind that a "realistic" valuation is really neither here nor there. Maybe £2m is realistic, but that doesn't mean it's in our interests to sell - especially because, as Sun Tzu says, we could probably command a higher fee next summer. I really don't see that getting rid of him for that much this summer does the club any good at all. At the very least I'd be expecting a really substantial sell-on clause in addition to that. I think there's a chance he'll be involved in a big money some day.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Apr 2010 14:17

imo, unless its the tophalf clubs i doubt hed go, and if its the top half clubs, then hed probably spend a year on the bench, so......

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 06 Apr 2010 14:23

Whether or not £1-2m is a realistic valuation is not the question. The question is if we have a need to sell and I don't think we do. I think Sig will stay and next season if we can put a promotion push together he will sign a new contract. If we don't get in the promotion mix-up next season then I can see him leaving but definetely not this summer.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 14:25

Hoop Blah
Sun Tzu So isn;t it likley the club would keep him for one more season, see his value double and then consdier selling him rather than just accept a low valuation ?

The only flaw in that logic is that a lot of the decision rests with the player.

Agreed the player (and his agent) can jockey for a move, but that works more for an established player than a youngster. From comments from Icelandicstokie I understand Gylfi has a decent manager, and he himself seems a fairly sensible kid. I don; tthink there will be pressure on McDermott to cash in on any players and I think in turm he will have a strong case to put to the youngsters that for many it would be a little too early to expect to make the next jump.

We shall see !

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 Apr 2010 14:26

It makes very little sense for either side to want Sig to move this summer.

He's had a very good season, but is far from the finished product. The lad will feel that Reading is the best place to develop, he's too scared of Dolan to hand in a transfer request!

Another season like this and we'll be demanding £6m min and still if we get promoted we'd keep him for another year.

It makes no sense to sell him this summer, last summer was so we wouldnt have to.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Apr 2010 14:30

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
It makes no sense to sell him this summer, last summer was so we wouldnt have to.

Spot on.

I'm hoping last summer will be recognised by many as the saving of the club.

As I understand it we basically took the hit on losing parachute payments a year early, so the overall effect will be minimal and in fact we should now be in a position to strengthen again.

If they get the ST pricing right I think crowds next season will grow (and in fact I think they held up pretty well this season) and all will be rosy !!

124 posts