Back from the game....... I really hate geordies

144 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game....... I really hate geordies

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Apr 2010 13:44

Wantage Royal
Maguire I thought Newcastle showed why they are champions to be honest. Went away to one of the strongest teams in the league this year, soaked up the pressure, took their chances (let's not forget they were an inch away from a third as well) and went home with all three points. Classic away performance and I was very impressed with the organisation and defensive commitment they displayed. How different to Newcastle teams of old.

Nolan - cockpiece without any shadow of a doubt and yes, the ref was intimidated but that hardly cost us the game.

Reading did okay but also showed why we're not quite there yet. I too think we should have gone with two strikers earlier in the match given the scoreline and how out of the game Shane Long was on his own. Otherwise no real complaints and at least now we can all put our feet up for the next four matches, enjoy some football and not worry about the damn play-offs any more.

Have to agree 100% with that.

I don't understand nolan. I knew he'd taunt us if he scored as he does that every week - so don't take it personally. He was also a bellend with the ref.

That said, he was straight over to bryn when he was injured and then first to clap him off and pat him on the stretcher.

Odd guy.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Newcastle

by floyd__streete » 14 Apr 2010 14:02

Upper West?!? "Newcastle bossed you, and they didn't even play their best team"

Nor did we.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Apr 2010 14:08

Gatecrasher The 106 chant is embarrassing, no-one else gives a toss about the record apart from us, and especially not a team that's already promoted. If one day we get promoted with only 104 points I think I could live with it.

+1 there.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Apr 2010 14:10

We were playing our third and fifth choice central defenders (as cisse was still coming back from injury). I'm not really surprised we lost, and I'm glad it was to two clinical goals rather than scrappy finishes.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Apr 2010 14:12

ZacNaloen I'm glad it was to two clinical goals rather than scrappy finishes.

Certainly was clinical goalkeeping for the first. Steve Fosset had more positional sense than A Fed. I am A Fed up Reading fan watching that keeper concede soft goals galore this season. Still, he scored against Cardiff - doo doo doo Adam Federici. F*ck off.

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 14 Apr 2010 14:13

Row Z Royal
Allyh84
Adz1871 What about the coin throwing incident? Aimed at Howard in the first half. THEN the stewards have the nerve to come and tell us to sit down? :evil:

Came to post this. What oxf*rd.

I also liked the "106" song, can't believe we didn't sing about it before to wind up leading teams.

Sorry to get all Spacey on your ass, but when was the last time we hosted the team who were top of the league?

:oops:

I'm sorry.

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 14 Apr 2010 14:14

floyd__streete
Gatecrasher The 106 chant is embarrassing, no-one else gives a toss about the record apart from us, and especially not a team that's already promoted. If one day we get promoted with only 104 points I think I could live with it.

+1 there.

A team in heralding past glory shocker :shock:

Clockwatcher

by Clockwatcher » 14 Apr 2010 14:15

Jack Celliers
Ref - 9/10
I thought he was brilliant

Either this is a wind up or you must be related to think that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it Taylor who just kept on walking away showing complete disregard for the Ref, Ameobi deserved to be sent off, Nolan should have been booked earlier, Carroll needed at least a warning for his 'petulance' with fedders and Barton, he should have had at least one booking .

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Apr 2010 14:19

ZacNaloen We were playing our third and fifth choice central defenders (as cisse was still coming back from injury). I'm not really surprised we lost, and I'm glad it was to two clinical goals rather than scrappy finishes.

Actually, it's 4th and 6th isn't it.... :shock:

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 14 Apr 2010 14:26

Alan Partridge It is quite funny looking through all the bitterness on here, would it be fairer to say maybe Newcastle weren't at thier best last night? ?They still won. How many times did fans of other teams say that about Reading in 2006? How we'd be 'straight back down'.

There is absolutely ZERO chance they will get relegated next season. Not in that dross league. They will have a bit of dosh to add 1 or 2 players to what is a Premiership squad already.

Hughton has done a great job, now their moronic fans have stopped chanting for someone who was born in Newcastle, and have just got on with the job, they've got someone that's had a lot of experience coaching at big clubs who has moulded a team when their 'saviour' couldn't.

As per usual, a good summary.

Contrary to most on here I didn't feel we played well though, ok but no more. We started the first half well getting the ball wide early and for the wingers to run on to. In the second half though we were a little too slow in spreading the play and as a consequence Jobi and Kebe recieved the ball either standing still, with a marker on them, or tracking back. We then proceeded to play long balls to Shane for flick on's which became all to predictable and easy to defend. Kebe in particular needs to learn to mix things up a bit, coming short, moving in and out, or going for flick ons, otherwise he'll be marked out the game as happened 2nd half last night. When this failed we then seemed to try threading balls through the centre back s on the edge of the box which is bread and butter to most good defenders.

as for their goals, they were weak and Pearce, though improving, was at fault for both. He was far too tight for the first and should've got a block on the shot, Nolan was only going to do one thing. For the second (and on other occasions when Newcastle counterattacked at pace) he completely lost his marker. A CB should never allow his marker a tap in at the near post.

This reads as doom and gloom which it isn't really meant to (fail!). I feel if we'd cut out the simple defending errors and just sharpened up the final through ball the result could've been very different. You can see why Newcastle are top, even though they clearly weren't at their best, some of the one touch football they played out of defense and their anticipation was really good.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 14 Apr 2010 14:30

Alan Partridge It is quite funny looking through all the bitterness on here, would it be fairer to say maybe Newcastle weren't at thier best last night? ?They still won. How many times did fans of other teams say that about Reading in 2006? How we'd be 'straight back down'.

There is absolutely ZERO chance they will get relegated next season. Not in that dross league. They will have a bit of dosh to add 1 or 2 players to what is a Premiership squad already.

Hughton has done a great job, now their moronic fans have stopped chanting for someone who was born in Newcastle, and have just got on with the job, they've got someone that's had a lot of experience coaching at big clubs who has moulded a team when their 'saviour' couldn't.

As per usual, a good summary.

Contrary to most on here I didn't feel we played well though, ok but no more. We started the first half well getting the ball wide early and for the wingers to run on to. In the second half though we were a little too slow in spreading the play and as a consequence Jobi and Kebe recieved the ball either standing still, with a marker on them, or tracking back. We then proceeded to play long balls to Shane for flick on's which became all to predictable and easy to defend. Kebe in particular needs to learn to mix things up a bit, coming short, moving in and out, or going for flick ons, otherwise he'll be marked out the game as happened 2nd half last night. When this failed we then seemed to try threading balls through the centre back s on the edge of the box which is bread and butter to most good defenders. I think last night also showed how much a ball playing centre back brings to our game going forward. We hoofed too many balls last night.

As for their goals, they were weak and Pearce, though improving, was at fault for both. He was far too tight for the first and should've got a block on the shot, Nolan was only going to do one thing. For the second (and on other occasions when Newcastle counterattacked at pace) he completely lost his marker. A CB should never allow his marker a tap in at the near post.

This reads as doom and gloom which it isn't really meant to (fail!). I feel if we'd cut out the simple defending errors and just sharpened up the final through ball the result could've been very different. You can see why Newcastle are top, even though they clearly weren't at their best, some of the one touch football they played out of defense and their anticipation was really good.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 14 Apr 2010 14:38

floyd__streete
ZacNaloen I'm glad it was to two clinical goals rather than scrappy finishes.

Certainly was clinical goalkeeping for the first. Steve Fosset had more positional sense than A Fed. I am A Fed up Reading fan watching that keeper concede soft goals galore this season. Still, he scored against Cardiff - doo doo doo Adam Federici. F*ck off.

He makes mistakes. Yes, most of them are positional but he's still young for a keeper, and he will learn a lot from his first season as our No.1. People will always remember keepers for their mistakes, and no one ever remembers the fantastic saves he pulls off.

by 9165 » 14 Apr 2010 15:46

My first game since Villa, I have to say that the better team won without a doubt. We shouldn`t be too hard on Pearce who I thought played well apart from losing Nolan for the first goal (there must be countless centre halves who`ve done that this season). Siggy was nowhere until we brought on Church, Tabb + Griffin no more than average, Howard so-so as normal. Their back line did what they had to do to protect their lead and their no.6 (Williamson ?) looked a very good acquisition. Not many teams in the Championship would fancy lining up in midfield against Guthrie, Smith, Routledge, Guitterez + Nolan and coming off better . Heres to next season !

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2010 16:33

floyd__streete

+1 there.

And there you are both completely wrong. The Sky Sports team have spent plenty of time going on about it, as have the former Newcastle players who they have had on as 'experts'. In fact, during the last televised Newcastle game, they stated several times, quite incorrectly, that the Geordies could still get the record!

And are you both suggesting that in our own record-breaking year, we went completely against the norm in wanting to get the record number of points?! I think not! The Geordies would have loved to have taken our record, particularly in view of who held it prior to us!

The Rouge I normally read this forum and think people haven't given the opposition enough credit but I thought we well and truly d*cked on Newcastle last night. It was one-way traffic until they got their goal with one of their first attacks. After that they came into it a bit but we continued to outplay them for 75 minutes of the 90 in my opinion.

That mirrors the view of my Geordie supporting colleague who was at the game and sent me a message after their second goal admitting that both goals were completely against the run of play. Other than the start of the second half, he felt we easily outplayed them.

Kurtz tbh I dont think the ref saw Ameobi kick Pearce, at least didn't get a proper view. I think he was already turning away to follow the ball and had to go by a guess based on the crowd's reaction. He was pretty poor tho and bottled a straight 2nd yellow on Nolan.

I think you are right. In which case the *rsehole should have had the sense to have consulted with his 'assistants'. Surely they couldn't all have failed to have seen it?!

royalexile Nolans first goal, could, should have been stopped by Fedders, with him getting a touch to it and it squirming underneath him.

After initially being critical, the considered view of the two keepers in my family was that the shot was a really awkward distance away from him, making it very difficult to get down quickly to block it with the body, whilst at the same time not being far enough away to get a clean strong hand on it to push away. Maybe it is the 'keepers'' union sticking up for each other but that hasn't prevented them from talking about what they perceived as mistakes in the past.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2010 17:01

floyd__streete

+1 there.

If you're embarrassed by that I think you have some issues.

They give it large about being champions, we point out we've done much better. What do you want us to do? Applaud politely?

Their fans were piss poor for virtually the entire match.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Apr 2010 19:42

Ian Royal They give it large about being champions, we point out we've done much better. What do you want us to do? Applaud politely?

Yes, p*ss-poor effort to bring 4,000 fans midweek for a meaningless game. And if you think that they give a damn about some divisional record set a few seasons back as they steam-roller us and everyone else en route to the title then you are deluded, most of them probably did not even know what you were all blethering on about.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2010 19:48

Congratulations to them for turning out. That was reasonably impressive. Shame they did pretty much nothing to contribute.

If they didn't care what we were going on about, I can assure you the feeling is absolutely mutual. I couldn't give a flying fuk whether they are champions or not.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2010 19:50

Ian Royal
floyd__streete

+1 there.

If you're embarrassed by that I think you have some issues.

They give it large about being champions, we point out we've done much better. What do you want us to do? Applaud politely?

You are spot on IR!

The famous Geordie support didn't even 'Sing when they're winning' that much. What's more they stood in worried silence for much of the second!!

I was also amazed at how seemingly subdued and quiet their home support was in the game immediately after they had learned that they had been promoted. You see and hear better party celebrations in a morgue!

floyd__streete
Ian Royal They give it large about being champions, we point out we've done much better. What do you want us to do? Applaud politely?

Yes, p*ss-poor effort to bring 4,000 fans midweek for a meaningless game. And if you think that they give a damn about some divisional record set a few seasons back as they steam-roller us and everyone else en route to the title then you are deluded, most of them probably did not even know what you were all blethering on about.

Bring from where though? Have you not spotted/heard many Geordies in London and the South East? Yes, still not a bad turn out but then they are starting from a pretty big fan base.

As for not caring/knowing about the record, I think you seek to delude yourself in order to indulge in the traditional sport of Royals fans slagging off their own support. Yes, of course they're delighted that they have won the title relatively easily, although I doubt that many would describe it as steam-rollering, just as I doubt many would be as arrogant/blind to suggest they steam-rollered us last night. However, any set of supporters (and players for that matter) want to break/set records and accomplish things in as much style as possible.

I reckon most suppporters would be quite surprised at how some of our own support seem quite happy to belittle/play down our own achievements and records!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 14 Apr 2010 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 14 Apr 2010 19:51

Spotted last night: Ian Royal in Y25 Row FF I think 8)

It had a feel very much of after the Lord Mayor's show about it didn't it? Newcastle turned up, hit us four times, scored twice, otherwise all Reading. At the back Colloccini was stupidly good, easily the best individual defender I have seen in this division for a long time, which for me is some accolade given that I despise Argies. Can't add much more to the discipline side, merely add that Nolan and Ameobi were both very very lucky to stay on the pitch (surprised nobody has mentioned Ameobi's first half aggressive berating of the referee including head thrusts towards him - a quite disgraceful lack of respect for the official).

In all honesty, Newcastle spent a lot of money on that squad and it got relegated. Nobody wanted to touch them in the summer managerially because they were a shambles, so in the end they appointed a man who didn't want the job from within. Fair enough, he's done ok, but a good manager would have had that team romping the division in a manner unseen before. The players they have are on £50k+ a week some of them, they cost them tens of millions in some cases, so if their deluded fans are happy with the money spent on that squad in return for a scrap for 13th position in the Premier League, then let them have it. Newcastle United will not be missed in this league, they have been contemptuous and arrogant to an extreme. Not even Leeds Utd or Man City had the temerity to do that and they are, in my opinion, similarly sized clubs to Newcastle. I have no love of Newcastle United, I fail to see the hype of the club, region, and fans. They are no different to many clubs, merely arrive in greater numbers than most clubs. The self-proclaimed "greatest football supporters the world has ever had" are that good that they had 15000 empty seats at SJP in August against us, and all they really did all game when they made noise was to have a constant go at Ashley. Their women are slags though, which is nice :twisted:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2010 19:52

handbags_harris Spotted last night: Ian Royal in Y25 Row FF I think 8)

EE actually. Spotted you Compo and Floyd.

Enjoyed the Dirty Argies all on your own. :lol:

144 posts