Club must save £4 million

276 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Club must save £4 million

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2010 16:12

^^^^ 'greed. Some people on here are just stupid.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2010 16:16

I don't want us to spend highly, I accept we don't have that cash.

As it stands, three out of our back four are on loan, we need to make 3 signings to replace those and they need to be of a decent standard if we are going to have a play-off push. Sadly thats going to cost us.

How are we still needing to save when we've got rid of everyone on high wages bar matejovsky, ivar ( whose probably off) and 1/2 others on a slightly higher wage than average?

Fed, sig, church, kebe, mcanuff, long, tabb, karacan, ras, mills, howard,etc should all be on sustainable wages, a lot of those being signed while in the championship.

We are averaging 17k at the moment, a good few thousand of that won't be back next season unless we see the club has on field ambitions for next season.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Apr 2010 16:18

A lot of people seem to be forgetting the £12million overdraft recalled. That's a lot of money.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2010 16:22

FiNeRaIn How are we still needing to save

The answer is obvious - we won't have the parachute payments next year, so we're having to budget without that and we're still coming up short.

How did you come up with the £20 million figure?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Apr 2010 16:25

Presumably the £4m already takes into account the additional windfall (approx 1 million) due through WBA and Newcastle both being promoted and their parachute payments being distributed to the remaining Champoinship clubs next year? Good if it didn't!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2010 16:34

SpaceCruiser

The answer is obvious - we won't have the parachute payments next year, so we're having to budget without that and we're still coming up short.

We should never have been banking on them anyway, we know the length of time we have them for. They aren't a lottery ffs.

kitson 5.5 million, doyle 6.5, hunt 5.5, bikey 3 mill, shorey 3.5 million - my apologies - its actually more than 20 million.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Apr 2010 16:57

FiNeRaIn How are we still needing to save when we've got rid of everyone on high wages bar matejovsky, ivar ( whose probably off) and 1/2 others on a slightly higher wage than average?

Because forecasted recurring costs for the next year are still higher than forecasted recurring turnover.

Are you having difficulty understanding that? It is irrlevant who we have already got rid of, you need to put that out of your head as they have no bearing on the cost structure of the club now.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Apr 2010 17:02

FiNeRaIn
SpaceCruiser

We should never have been banking on them anyway, we know the length of time we have them for. They aren't a lottery ffs.

kitson 5.5 million, doyle 6.5, hunt 5.5, bikey 3 mill, shorey 3.5 million - my apologies - its actually more than 20 million.

I'm not sure throwing random figures around is the way accountants approach these things !

Those figures are probably not accurate, probably include lots of add ons which we may or may not ever get and would usually not all be paid up front.

They can only inlcude money we will actually receive this season in their budgets, and they can;t use newspaper figures !!

under the tin

by under the tin » 28 Apr 2010 17:22

Amazes me that there are still those on here still talking about "When we were in the Premiership"

1. We're not in the Premiership anymore
2. Anyone with half a brain can see that the Premiership is a busted flush.
a) club gets promoted there
b) player wages rise exponentially, wiping out TV revenues

OK, so we'd sell out every week, but ticket sales pale into almost insignificance by comparison.
Lampard on £140 000 a week (EVERY week, including the close season)
That equates to 2800 fans @ £50 a pop, or the whole of the upper tier of the Matthew Harding stand.
This revenue is only on home matchdays, 20-something times a season.
It's MENTAL. HSSC is right. Players have got to get real, so have clubs, and so have fans.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 28 Apr 2010 17:36

As some other posters have said so far the article refers to cutting costs by four million and not necessarily having to raise that sum from player sales as was the case last year.

I think because of the fact that the media tend to express players wages as a weekly sum rather than an annual one we tend to forget that players on £15k a week are collecting over three quarters of a million pounds a year and despite the forty per cent cut to their money, I would be surprised if players like Marek, Cisse and Ivar are not on at least that and Rasiak won't be on peanuts either. On top of that players often have lucrative bonus packages although Marek and Cisse may not have triggered those this season. Therefore when we all get excited about the rumours that we made a million pounds on the F A Cup run we are only actually covering just over one players annual salary.

It is also easy to think of loan players as not costing money either. Even if their parent Clubs agree that we only need to pay a percentage of their wages the Club will have had to pay a hefty loan fee I would imagine.

Throw in the fact that the Stadium and the pitch need money spending on it each year to maintain its condition and I am not at all surprised that the Club cannot maintain a playing staff of over thirty professionals on the sort of attendances we attract especially as they have reduced the price of season tickets for next season.

Unfortunately although the Club have come a million miles in the last ten years or so we are still not really a big Club and like other Clubs of our size, we will always struggle to keep hold of our best players especially our emerging young players.

Having said all that I think cost cutting of four million should be doable without selling as many players as we did last summer. I have always been expecting at least one player to be sold who us fans would rather have stayed but as has been mentioned, if we can get Marek and Cisse off the wage bill, even if it is some kind of Rosenior/Harper loan deal somewhere, that will be a start and maybe unfortunately Ivar as well. I suspect we won't stand in Rasiak's way if he is unsettled either.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Apr 2010 17:45

People also forget that the player wages are not the only cost of employing a player. We also pay hefty insurance, NI, pension contributions, medical cover etc. There may be all sorts of clauses built into deals which we fund. I'm sure there is an HR expert around somewhere but I have a vague memory that a general rule of thumb is that wages are only about half the cost of actually employing someone in any business ( although I suspect football with it's swollen wage structure is maybe a bit of an exception and the employer costs are a slightly smaller percentage)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Apr 2010 17:47

westendgirl Is it just me or does £4million seem relatively low if we have £11 million less with no parachute payment?

With common sense like that you should take up accountancy............................far more worthwhile than offering counselling to the serial wrist slitters who are attracted to these threads like moths to a flame.

We're losing £12m parachute payments but only need to find £4m savings...........................might that suggest that most of the adjustment required has already been made :roll:

And, it would seem last summers fire sale also paid off the overdraft.

Given that two of the relegated Prem clubs are financial basket cases, my guess is that this would leave us in a rather envious position when compared to most of our rivals and if someone wants Gylfi

"Do I hear £5m?"

"I'm afraid this lot has failed to reach it's reserve"

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2010 17:48

I'm willing to ignore this 4 million nonsense as long as we spend well on good replacement defenders.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Apr 2010 17:48

Cut the likes of Cisse, Mooney, Marek :cry: , Ivar, Rosenior, sell Federici for around £2million and that's the 4million give or take.

Loads of keepers, don't think Federici is all that much better than them and £2million would be good.

Interested to see what happens to the loanees.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Apr 2010 19:03

Alan Partridge Cut the likes of Marek :cry:

Seriously, why the :cry: over Marek. One good hit at Anfield, otherwise it had been all injuries and wasted passing. He never adjusted to the pace of the english game and he can't leave quickly enough as far as I am concerned.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 28 Apr 2010 19:15

floyd__streete
Alan Partridge Cut the likes of Marek :cry:

Seriously, why the :cry: over Marek. One good hit at Anfield, otherwise it had been all injuries and wasted passing. He never adjusted to the pace of the english game and he can't leave quickly enough as far as I am concerned.

I have to agree with this despite the black and grey hooped away shirt with Marek's name and number hanging in my closet. I loved the idea of what Marek could have become, but it just never materialised.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 Apr 2010 19:26

seahawk10 I loved the idea of what Marek could have become, but it just never materialised.

A great many folk on here still cling to the hope he'll deliver.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 28 Apr 2010 19:28

FiNeRaIn
SpaceCruiser

I don't think we got £5.5 for Kitson, we defo didn't get £5.5 for Hunt, try £3.5 max. All those transfer fee's will involve add ons, Hull haven't stayed up, Burnley haven't stayed up, Shorey has hardly played, nor has Sonko or Kitson. Add on's we're probably waiting for are:

-Staying up
-50 appearances
-20 goals (for Doyle and Kitson)
-Maybe even international honours (i'm scraping the barrel there)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Apr 2010 20:54

Good point but I think we can be sure that one of the biggest riders would have been attached to staying up which both Wolves and Stoke have achieved.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Apr 2010 21:08

Woodcote Royal Good point but I think we can be sure that one of the biggest riders would have been attached to staying up which both Wolves and Stoke have achieved.

So far....

The add ons do (AFAIK) tend to be spread over the course of the player's contract (see discussions passim re York vs RFC)

So we may have got a bonus from Wolves for this season, but may not get the next couple. We also won;t have got much if there was anything around Doyle scoring goals (or Kitson).

276 posts