1747 posts
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by readingbedding » 21 May 2009 14:13

High level equals Curbs.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Whore Jackie » 21 May 2009 15:31

Deathy
Uke Hmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cambridge_utd/8055111.stm

Cambridge accept Brabin approach

Brabin guided Cambridge to the Blue Square Premier play-off final
Cambridge United chairman George Rolls has confirmed that the club have given manager Gary Brabin permission to enter talks with a Football League club.

The U's lost 2-0 to Torquay in Sunday's Blue Square Premier play-off final.

Rolls told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "We've had an approach from a club much higher than us. I felt it was right to give him permission to speak to them."

Brabin, a former Blackpool midfielder, has been linked with the vacant manager's post at Bloomfield Road.

Brabin has enjoyed a hugely impressive first season at the Abbey following his arrival from Southport last summer.

"Hopefully Gary will show some loyalty to us. We gave him a job when he'd only been in football for five or six games," he said.

"We gave him a huge budget last year, more money than Jimmy Quinn the year before. I just hope he stays around and tries to build again for next year."

Brabin spent big on his way to guiding the U's to the play-off final for the second successive season.

Scott Rendell, Lee Phillips, Andy Parkinson and Phil Bolland are just some of the big names players to have arrived at the club over the past year.

"We've got to run the club as a business and become solvent, we can't have people putting their hands in their pockets every five minutes to bail us out.

"We've got to act as a business and act sensibly. There will be cuts, but we can still push for the play-offs again."

Rolls could not confirm whether or not Brabin would take assistant player-manager Paul Carden with him should he decide to move on, but expects the situation to be resolved within the next few days.

Manager on the cheap, the traditional Reading way? Perhaps Rendell filled him in on our setup?

Or Ferguson on his way from Posh, Babin to take over at Posh?

Blackpool perhaps.

Ian Holloway takes over at Blackpool. Phew.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 May 2009 15:34

winchester_royal Paul Tisdale would be an excellent choice, however I keep getting a horrible feeling that we will get a numpty like Wise or Sanchez.

I'd rather Poyet if that was the case. All the neutrals that I've mentioned that Gus wanted the job to have said he would be excellent. He was the reason that Leeds were doing so well, and not Wise. When Gus left leeds to go to Spurs it wasn't long before Wise left and people couldn't understand why he'd go from manager of Leeds to DoF at Newcastle, but the reason was he just couldn't do the job and all the tactics and squad decisions that mattered were being made by Poyet.

I still want BR btw.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 May 2009 15:46

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... g_new_boss
But there will also be a strict budget in place and the new boss may have to sell to make significant changes.

What STILL??? - despite us selling Shorey, Kitson, Sonko and spending fcuk all of that even though we were told this was the case last season. :roll:

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 21 May 2009 15:58

TBM http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2051155_hammond_budget_key_to_landing_new_boss
But there will also be a strict budget in place and the new boss may have to sell to make significant changes.

What STILL??? - despite us selling Shorey, Kitson, Sonko and spending fcuk all of that even though we were told this was the case last season. :roll:

So you thought the 19,000 'clapper banners' came free then, huh?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 May 2009 16:02

'lista
TBM http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2051155_hammond_budget_key_to_landing_new_boss

So you thought the 19,000 'clapper banners' came free then, huh?

pffffff dont get me started on those!

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by ankeny » 21 May 2009 16:37

Ian Holloway takes over at Blackpool. Phew.[/quote]

Seconded Jackiewe dont want the sheepshager here,he would have been an embarrassment

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 May 2009 19:10

How deflating it could be when someone like Mickey Adams gets the job. :lol:
Suddenly all form of optimism fecks off again lol.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 21 May 2009 19:20

Deathy How deflating it could be when someone like Mickey Adams gets the job. :lol:

if that happens there will be at least one empty seat in the east stand next season...mine :shock:
its Gus Poyet for me..but I`m guessing he won`t be cheap enough for us

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 May 2009 19:23

Has it happened yet. No. Right i'm off.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 May 2009 19:37

Chaney
Deathy How deflating it could be when someone like Mickey Adams gets the job. :lol:

if that happens there will be at least one empty seat in the east stand next season...mine :shock:
its Gus Poyet for me..but I`m guessing he won`t be cheap enough for us

Poyet was cheap enough for Swindon and Leeds, I'm sure Reading and a managers job would be very appealing to him.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 21 May 2009 19:54

i think that's just the club buttering up the fans for some high-profile departures. hunt will go, which will make nobody sad, but doyle will also go, which will be a massive massive blow. he may not have scored in twelve years, but he is still the best striker we've ever had since i've been watching reading.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 May 2009 20:05

Hasn't doyle intimated he wants to stay with us. Surprising but interesting.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 21 May 2009 20:40

royalexile Hasn't doyle intimated he wants to stay with us. Surprising but interesting.

Be interesting to see what really happens in the next few months

...but I don't want him to go!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 May 2009 22:18

He's going. But he does and says the right things. He'll leave here a liked man unlike another Irish player.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 22 May 2009 00:47

That other Irish player has got to leave first Jay but then, you ain't lying!!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 22 May 2009 08:56

Anyway, returning to the point of this thread ---

I haven't seen Psycho's name mentioned yet? He lives locally and fits the apparent desire of HNAers for a strongly motivated (and motivational ) boss. Not my preference it has to be said, but I guess he has to be in the race somewwhere.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 22 May 2009 11:09

I would like it to go on record that I was the FIRSt to slate the new manager whoever he (she?) may be...

NEW MANAGER OUT!!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 May 2009 11:49

I just hope many on this board that backed Coppell to the hilt throughout the last 2 shambolic seasons, will give the new manager as much backing.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 22 May 2009 12:04

Scarface I just hope many on this board that backed Coppell to the hilt throughout the last 2 shambolic seasons, will give the new manager as much backing.

Well now, that really depends who it is doesn't it? If it's an ex taxi driver or bus driver or train driver or even pilot, then I won't be giving him much hope from minute 1... But in that case I would be blaming Sir John and Nick more for hiring him in the first place.

1747 posts