New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by RobRoyal » 22 May 2009 12:31

Scarface I just hope many on this board that backed Coppell to the hilt throughout the last 2 shambolic seasons, will give the new manager as much backing.

Of course, just as soon as he's got us promoted with 106 points and finished 8th in the prem - once he's done that, he can expect every bit as much loyalty and support.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 May 2009 12:56

Anyone with half a brain will hopefully not count a 27 game spell as any sort of record, whether or not that team moved up 6 or so places in that period.

Who knows if it was BR's direct influence or just the effect of the change.

Going for BR based on such a 'record' is lunacy, especially given this appointment is possibly the most important in our history so far.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 May 2009 13:02

Scarface I just hope many on this board that backed Coppell to the hilt throughout the last 2 shambolic seasons, will give the new manager as much backing.

How can 4th be shambolic?

Use another word.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 22 May 2009 13:39

Gordons Cumming

Use another word.

I agree - the overreaction to Coppell's last two seasons has been absurd.

We were relegated from the Prem on goal difference then missed out on automatic promotion on the last day. The Burns, Bullivant and late Branfoot era's were shambolic -the end to Coppell's was just disappointing!

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 22 May 2009 13:42

Exeter City manager! LOL!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 22 May 2009 14:41

Gordons Cumming

Use another word.

Coppell called it a disappointment and an underachievement. I'm going to go with his opinion.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 22 May 2009 15:03

Shambolic is slightly different to underachieving.

Take the first half of the season and put it into context with the second half you could say it was Disappointing and underachieving because they showed to potential to achieve so much. BUT they didn't, which is a bit of a shambles now that you mention it.

dan19

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by dan19 » 22 May 2009 17:48

Nicky Hammond new manager....trust me

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 May 2009 22:35

2 world wars, 1 world cup
The argument from this board is that Coppell had millions at his disposal not only for transfers but for wages too but chose not to spend it. I've given up trying to dispute it and having the attitude that you're showing right now because it winds up those who have always had it in for Coppell yet think Madejski is untouchable - and who knows I accept it may even be the truth. In which case... the money is still there and surely Madejski will have the same attitude that he had with Coppell (i.e. here you go mate spend a proportion of the millions we got by going into the Prem) if not moreso because whereas Coppell only needed one or two players we know need half a team if we're serious about a promotion push. What happens now is undoubtedly the litmus test for the whole question of significant transfer AND WAGE funds ever havin been available. I sit back with keen interest to see what develops.

Why does it have to be one or the other ?

We know Coppell has significant but not massive funds available because he attempted to sign several players for significant sums.

I don't think there has ever been an arguement that Coppell had massive funds at his disposal. More that JM usually backed requests from managers if they were well argued and didn't expect them to work on a shoestring. But he's never ploughed silly money in.

So it's not Option 1 - Coppell had huge sums but refused to spend or Option 2 JM refused to make any money available. I suspectthe situation will remain as it always has been. If a manager puts a good case for bringing in players ten the money will be made available, subject to it being affordable. So asking for £10 million for a 34 year old ex premiership left back would not get past the door whereas £2 million for a top quality young Championship midfielder may well do.

M0J0

Re: Paul Jewell

by M0J0 » 23 May 2009 11:49

Cookie
Jez Took Bradford up, Kept Bradford up
Took Wigan up, Kept Wigan up....

Fair eough hes had his Nightmares as well i.e Sheff Wednesday and Derby

could he do the same with Reading?

No thanks, he's lost his mojo. :lol:

PLEASE

don't take my name in vain !

don't know if it has been mentioned, but, when "terry the taxi" left the club, he had to leave his

track suit and jackets with his initials on. this left the club with no manager and several sets of

T.B. clothing................Enter.......Tommy Burns.. that saved a few quid.

we now have S.C. jackets ,coats , tracksuits ,etc..hhmmmmm

I leave you to ponder.

Steve Cotterill

:?:
Last edited by M0J0 on 23 May 2009 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 May 2009 12:02

Sun Tzu
The argument from this board is that Coppell had millions at his disposal not only for transfers but for wages too but chose not to spend it. I've given up trying to dispute it and having the attitude that you're showing right now because it winds up those who have always had it in for Coppell yet think Madejski is untouchable - and who knows I accept it may even be the truth. In which case... the money is still there and surely Madejski will have the same attitude that he had with Coppell (i.e. here you go mate spend a proportion of the millions we got by going into the Prem) if not moreso because whereas Coppell only needed one or two players we know need half a team if we're serious about a promotion push. What happens now is undoubtedly the litmus test for the whole question of significant transfer AND WAGE funds ever havin been available. I sit back with keen interest to see what develops.

We know Coppell has significant but not massive funds available because he attempted to sign several players for significant sums.

I don't think there has ever been an arguement that Coppell had massive funds at his disposal. More that JM usually backed requests from managers if they were well argued and didn't expect them to work on a shoestring. But he's never ploughed silly money in.

So it's not Option 1 - Coppell had huge sums but refused to spend or Option 2 JM refused to make any money available. I suspectthe situation will remain as it always has been. If a manager puts a good case for bringing in players ten the money will be made available, subject to it being affordable. So asking for £10 million for a 34 year old ex premiership left back would not get past the door whereas £2 million for a top quality young Championship midfielder may well do.

Spot on, as in any company headcount changes need to be justified to Senior management and funded to a budget.

Football is not a special case, no matter what some people think

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 23 May 2009 15:56

Rodgers is the perfect candidate.

he knows the place and how everything works. been out on work experience at chelsea making contacts and learning things from arguably one of the best gaffers on the planet then went into an industrial placement at watford for half a season or so all to prepare himself for his dream job at Reading.

but then again this is reading and it all seems a bit to good to be true resulting in Mr Sanchez taking over and being Mr Mads whipping boy selling off doyle, marek, bikey and playing a whole team of academy lads (and maybe healy!) which will result in us turning into a mediocre (if that) championship team... :roll:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 23 May 2009 16:10

Sun Tzu

Dont think its quite as simple as you suggest.
Its all well and good making funds available but if the wages offered are going to be less than the perceived market rate player A will in discussion with his agent not sign for Reading. I am unconvinced Mr Mad was prepared to offer a reasonable transfer kitty with the type of wages required to attract the players we needed in the Prem...which is one of the reasons why we are back in the Championship.

beno

by beno » 23 May 2009 17:56

I want someone who will play passing football like we did 15 years ago.

Also, someone who isn't afraid to give the youngsters a good run in the team, and not put unknown/expensive foreigners in front of them.

We need a sense of unity in the team again and that will come from hard working, commited players like Tabb, NHunt, Rosenior, Stretch, Pearce. I would like to see Tabb and Matejovsky in the centre - similar to Gooding/Osborn?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 May 2009 19:03

beno I want someone who will play passing football like we did 15 years ago.

Our exciting free scoring passing style that led to a 106 point finish and 99 goals scored wasn't quite good enough then?

marettes

by marettes » 25 May 2009 16:23

I notice that Gordon Strachan's available :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 May 2009 19:12

marettes I notice that Gordon Strachan's available :roll:

We could do worse. I can think of several managers I'd prefer him to quite easily.

McGhee, Alladyce, Souness, Roeder...

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 25 May 2009 22:09

Harry Carry Exeter City manager! LOL!

Wouldn't be a bad appointment IMO.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 25 May 2009 22:51

Gordon Strachan has quit Celtic to be our next manager,
that's why Celtic pulled out of Murty's Testy in protest! :lol:

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 25 May 2009 22:55

I would have thought the fans who backed Coppell are also more likely to be the one's who have a more sensible approach and will give the new manager time. I want to know if all the fans who wanted Coppell out will give the new man time, especially if it's not the man they wanted for the job?

1747 posts