Selles out

885 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
44%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 70
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Selles out

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Sep 2024 16:20

Surely Selles must be close to throwing the towel in after todays news

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Sep 2024 17:55

SouthDownsRoyal Surely Selles must be close to throwing the towel in after todays news

I'm sure he's takiny an increased interest in potential job opportunities. But as long as he's getting paid, no point resigning until he has something else to go to.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Sep 2024 18:09

I'd never feel angry with Ruben if he left us for another club. If I was in a company run like shit and in a bad financial position but a more lucrative company offered me a job on more money it'd be a no brainer to take it.

Selles owes us nothing and he's been very loyal and kept at it in what's been very hard circumstances.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Sep 2024 18:55

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal Surely Selles must be close to throwing the towel in after todays news

I'm sure he's takiny an increased interest in potential job opportunities. But as long as he's getting paid, no point resigning until he has something else to go to.

Yeh this. He's been dealt a shit hand, but he's still getting paid for it, so why would he walk away for nothing?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Sep 2024 19:21

Snowflake Royal

Oh no, won’t resign but as you say must be an increased interest from him in leaving

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Sep 2024 16:03

" I need to reflect on where the club is heading"

Sounds like he'll be off soon

That's on the main RFC site too....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Sep 2024 16:20

Mid Sussex Royal " I need to reflect on where the club is heading"

Sounds like he'll be off soon

That's on the main RFC site too....

And it must be impossible to give him assurances. He's heard them all and they've all been proven false.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Sep 2024 16:58

Sounds like from Earnshaw's less sanitised version, he's absolutely fuming and has lost all hope. I think he'll walk; it's good for his wellbeing and career, given his stock is high.

So when we start losing matches and don't have a manager, how much value does the club lose? How much more of a gap is there between Dai's delusional price and what buyers are willing to pay? This was Dai's chance to sell an improving team with a bright manager capable of going places, and he blew it.

Easy to see a doom spiral incoming, even if we somehow survive as a club.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Sep 2024 18:06

"Must admit, was quite choked at Bearwood today. Listening to Ruben talk about how he has lost all hope and belief was a real punch in the gut. What have any of us got, if we haven't got hope? Hard to even think about the 90 minutes of football each week now. #readingfc"

https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... 6326670749

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2024 18:09

We're fecked, we're gone, we're dead.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2024 18:18

Thanks Dai you very naughty man.
Last edited by Sutekh on 20 Sep 2024 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Sep 2024 20:06

I`m absolutely gutted for Ruben, he`s put his heart and soul into this club and been betrayed at every level. he`ll never be our best manager ever but fuck me he`s a legend in many peoples eyes, anybody else would have walked away months ago.
He`ll be gone very soon and some club will snap him that appreciates what he has to offer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2024 20:44

He’s clearly fuming. And rightfully so

Seems he’s as annoyed with Couhig basically acting as owner before the deal was complete as anything else

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 19 Sep 2024 22:02

windermereROYAL I`m absolutely gutted for Ruben, he`s put his heart and soul into this club and been betrayed at every level. he`ll never be our best manager ever but fuck me he`s a legend in many peoples eyes, anybody else would have walked away months ago.
He`ll be gone very soon and some club will snap him that appreciates what he has to offer.

Reckon he’s our third best manager after coppell and McDermott. Maybe 2nd given the crap he’s had to put up with

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2024 08:36

royalstevep68
windermereROYAL I`m absolutely gutted for Ruben, he`s put his heart and soul into this club and been betrayed at every level. he`ll never be our best manager ever but fuck me he`s a legend in many peoples eyes, anybody else would have walked away months ago.

Reckon he’s our third best manager after coppell and McDermott. Maybe 2nd given the crap he’s had to put up with

Steady on, Pardew would like a word. And McGhee. And several from before my time.

He's had two thirds of a very good season under terrible circumstances.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2024 12:46

Snowflake Royal
royalstevep68

Steady on, Pardew would like a word. And McGhee. And several from before my time.

Exactly. Nowhere near. Unless he means "after Coppell and McDermott" in a temporal sense, in which case it's possible.. but then I'd say he's arguably the best manager in that sense?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Sep 2024 13:40

Sutekh League win ratio is not yet as bad as that of the worst manager in Reading's history to date, Paul Clement. The RS league win ratio is currently 23.07% while Clement's tenure finished as 21.30%. And if you compare RS to PC's first 12 league games in charge it's a massive improvement as Clement only had a league win ratio of 8.3% after 12 league games.

Therefore Clement was quite staggeringly ****** awful and he didn't have the embargoes and point deductions on top of it all.

Selles win ratio is now a much more normal looking 38.71% so nowhere near Clement and quite an achievement in the last year or so with everything the owner is trying to do around him to get into non league football. Easily the best Reading manager of the last decade.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Sep 2024 13:59

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
royalstevep68

Exactly. Nowhere near. Unless he means "after Coppell and McDermott" in a temporal sense, in which case it's possible.. but then I'd say he's arguably the best manager in that sense?

Post Brian I'd agree.

In my time back to 1971 McGhee gets the vote for third place. He took the club from the lower reaches of tier 3 to the top of tier 2 with no money of sorts to spend (unlike Pardew) and with a very stylish playing style.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2024 20:03

Mid Sussex Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Steady on, Pardew would like a word. And McGhee. And several from before my time.

Post Brian I'd agree.

In my time back to 1971 McGhee gets the vote for third place. He took the club from the lower reaches of tier 3 to the top of tier 2 with no money of sorts to spend (unlike Pardew) and with a very stylish playing style.

He's certainly turned into the best we've had since Brian. But then a block of cheese would have a chance of that seeing as they'd be competing with:

Adkins, Clarke, Stam, Clement, Gomes, Bowen, Paunovic and Ince.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Sep 2024 20:28

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Millsy

Post Brian I'd agree.

He's certainly turned into the best we've had since Brian. But then a block of cheese would have a chance of that seeing as they'd be competing with:

Adkins, Clarke, Stam, Clement, Gomes, Bowen, Paunovic and Ince.

LOL yeah, 10 full time managers in 11 years.
Stable.

885 posts