DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 11:48

Some creatively positive spin on this thread in recent days. Bottom line is we dropped a b*llock with this one didn’t we, the bloke is scoring near on every week. This isn’t to say that Nick(y) Hammond isn’t absolutely skillz in his job 99% of the time, crafty little spiv that he is. We have done consistently well in the transfer market over the last decade, but how people can somehow argue that we had a lucky escape not signing this one…..well, fair play to you, how is the view from the top of the Magic Faraway tree?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Nov 2011 12:18

floyd__streete Some creatively positive spin on this thread in recent days. Bottom line is we dropped a b*llock with this one didn’t we, the bloke is scoring near on every week. This isn’t to say that Nick(y) Hammond isn’t absolutely skillz in his job 99% of the time, crafty little spiv that he is. We have done consistently well in the transfer market over the last decade, but how people can somehow argue that we had a lucky escape not signing this one…..well, fair play to you, how is the view from the top of the Magic Faraway tree?

But what we dont know is the stress of our training might have done to his knee....plus games in the Championship are harder than in League One

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Nov 2011 12:22

floyd__streete Some creatively positive spin on this thread in recent days. Bottom line is we dropped a b*llock with this one didn’t we, the bloke is scoring near on every week. This isn’t to say that Nick(y) Hammond isn’t absolutely skillz in his job 99% of the time, crafty little spiv that he is. We have done consistently well in the transfer market over the last decade, but how people can somehow argue that we had a lucky escape not signing this one…..well, fair play to you, how is the view from the top of the Magic Faraway tree?

just said that we assessed the risk, and found that the potential benefits didnt outweight the risk/cost
dont think you could say that this was wrong.

especially not while hes banging themn in in league 1

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 12:31

Well, our assesment - in the short to medium term at least - has proved inaccurate hasn't it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Nov 2011 12:34

A. no,cos hes not banging them in at our level
and B. you also seem to have misunderstood the word risk
at no point did hammond or the medical team say it was guaranteed his knee would break down
simply that the risk that it would, didnt just if the costs involved.

although dont let that stop you laying into the club you "support" in unwarranted fashion

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 12:44

It's not like the gap between Championship and League One is particularly huge is it? Brighton and Saints came up and are doing well. Norwich came up and went up again. Ps. Charlton 2-1 Reading in the League Cup.

I am not laying into anyone. I praised the club's transfer record above. It is ok if they ocassionally get things wrong. Go on, I dare you to say they got something wrong for a change.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 01 Nov 2011 12:56

The amount we were going to pay for BWP was meagre at this level, had he come in and banged in the goals to take us up it would have been worth the gamble. Had it nopt worked and he broke down again then it would have been a waste, NH had to judge the decision based on the possible scenarios.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Nov 2011 13:02

floyd__streete It's not like the gap between Championship and League One is particularly huge is it? Brighton and Saints came up and are doing well. Norwich came up and went up again. Ps. Charlton 2-1 Reading in the League Cup.

I am not laying into anyone. I praised the club's transfer record above. It is ok if they ocassionally get things wrong. Go on, I dare you to say they got something wrong for a change.

already said last week that we should have offered harding a contract when he was here on loan. so im not due another criticism till 2016

and you still cant say he got it wrong until hes up in this league banging them in, and even then not with certainty, and even then you dont know what phillips wage demands were which would effect our risk calculations, and even then its possible the club may have had no real interest in phillips, and just used our "interest to drive down prices of other targets" and even then no..

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2011 13:05

Harpers So Solid Crew ....and he broke down again then it would have been a waste, NH had to judge the decision based on the possible scenarios.

Depends on how much the insurance to cover him would've set us back and if by signing him it meant we didn't spend the money elsewhere more effectively.

melonhead A. no,cos hes not banging them in at our level

Presumably the club thought he would've been up to the task in terms of ability otherwise they wouldn't have tried to sign him.

It'll be interesting to see how he survives the rest of the time his contract with us would've covered as that's as much to do with it as what he's done for the last 6 months or so.

I think, on the face of it, that the seems to have err'd on the side of caution here and, so far, have been wrong to do so. We were told the deal was done subject to his body being up to it. We pulled out. Therefore you have to assume it was only his medical that stopped it happening. He's proven since then to be able to withstand league football playing week in week out. At the same time we gave Noel Hunt a new deal and he's yet again been in and out of the physio's room.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 13:10

Hoop Blah I think, on the face of it, that the seems to have err'd on the side of caution here and, so far, have been wrong to do so. We were told the deal was done subject to his body being up to it. We pulled out. Therefore you have to assume it was only his medical that stopped it happening. He's proven since then to be able to withstand league football playing week in week out. At the same time we gave Noel Hunt a new deal and he's yet again been in and out of the physio's room.

+1.

BWP with supposed dodgy knees > a fully fit Noel Hunt anyway.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Nov 2011 13:15

I think, on the face of it, that the seems to have err'd on the side of caution here and, so far, have been wrong to do so.

since we dont(and can never) know what would have happened to his knee if hed have come here instead,you cant say that.
he may have broken down on the first day of training, or after a tackle in the first game, he may have been fine, but not scored very many goals, he may have been fine but not settled, he may have been fine and scored hatfuls.

its just a weighing up of the benefits Vs the potential risks/costs.
a simple equation they assesed at the time and made a decision on, on the basis of the figures input. those figures wouldnt have been any different, so nor would the decision.

its just probablitys, so isnt really wrong or right

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 13:19

melonhead
I think, on the face of it, that the seems to have err'd on the side of caution here and, so far, have been wrong to do so.

since we dont(and can never) know what would have happened to his knee if hed have come here instead,you cant say that.
he may have broken down on the first day of training, or after a tackle in the first game, he may have been fine, but not scored very many goals, he may have been fine but not settled, he may have been fine and scored hatfuls.

:|

I'll tell you what, lets not sign anyone ever because they might only end up being nobbled by a tackle in their first game.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2011 13:20

Well yes, that's very true brendy, he could also have got mown down by a drive by shooting gone wrong as the pikey's of Arborfield sparked into gang warfare on his first day at training!

It's pretty safe to assume that if he's managed to play consistent first team football for both Plymouth and Charlton over the alst couple of years that he probably would've held up ok with Reading.

I totally understand why the club took the decision they did. At the time it was probably the correct one. Looking back though it's pretty fair to say their caution was a little misplaced (especially as this was supposedly a bargin signing because of Plymouths financial difficulties).

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2011 13:22

Hoop Blah Well yes, that's very true brendy, he could also have got mown down by a drive by shooting gone wrong as the pikey's of Arborfield sparked into gang warfare on his first day at training!

:lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Nov 2011 15:07

Hoop Blah I totally understand why the club took the decision they did. At the time it was probably the correct one. Looking back though it's pretty fair to say their caution was a little misplaced (especially as this was supposedly a bargin signing because of Plymouths financial difficulties).

except its not fair to say that, cos the info you are using to "prove" it isnt enough.
since it wasnt a decision based on the FACT that BWP WOULD break down,
just an assessment of the risks/liklihood/costs/benefits.

for example:
you want cheaper energy, and consider building nuclear power stations
the risk assessment says: a nuclear explosion isnt very likely, but the outcome would be very severe if it did.
but you decide to build one anyway
just cos a nuclear explosion didnt occur, doesnt mean your assessment of the risk/likelihood was wrong all along

at the time the bloke was having injections every week just to get out on the pitch, and wasnt able to train as often as everyone else due to a long term knee problem. did that problem improve? possibly, or he may just be taking loads of painkillers, who knows. but in those circumstances they were right to turn it down, regardless of what happened after that

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 01 Nov 2011 18:26

floyd__streete
Hoop Blah I think, on the face of it, that the seems to have err'd on the side of caution here and, so far, have been wrong to do so. We were told the deal was done subject to his body being up to it. We pulled out. Therefore you have to assume it was only his medical that stopped it happening. He's proven since then to be able to withstand league football playing week in week out. At the same time we gave Noel Hunt a new deal and he's yet again been in and out of the physio's room.

+1.

BWP with supposed dodgy knees > a fully fit Noel Hunt anyway.

There's no such thing as a fully fit Noel Hunt. He's got dodgy knees.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 01 Nov 2011 22:23

melonhead
DOYLERSAROYALER 36 games later and over 20 goals for Charlton for a player who was a risk ??....sounds like a bit of a gaffe by the club on this one.....love to hear Bugs come out and say so...it will never happen

:roll: just cant help but have a go can ya!

why would he have to come out and say that? there are hundreds of players we lok at assess, talk tobut ultimately dont sign
his record in getting players in for peanuts, and selling on for millions is unrivalled at this level imo, and no manager/DOF gets it right everytime, imo hes got feck all to apologise/feel guilt over

and i think you misunderstand the meaning of the word risk.
in our opinion, the cost of getting him in and putting him on a contract, with a supect knee meant we werent interested,
this does not mean that "bugs" was guaranteeing that the players knee would collapse under the
strain, just that it was a "risk" too far.

Point I was making is that he'd have been worth taking a gamble with.....much like the club have been happy to take gambles with the likes of Manset Mills Morrison and plenty of others in the
past....I agree with others on here in that teams like Norwich Swansea Soton Brighton have all made the step up with ease so the footballing gap isn't huge so no reason why BWP couldn't do for
Reading what he's currently doing for Charlton

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Nov 2011 09:52

Perhaps it was partly decided by insurance.

if we did the medical and couldn't get insurance on him then we'd probably not go ahead, just like you wouldn't with a car - wheras Charlton then bought an insurance write-off cheaply (and this is where the metaphor breaks down a little....)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 09:56

DOYLERSAROYALER
melonhead
DOYLERSAROYALER 36 games later and over 20 goals for Charlton for a player who was a risk ??....sounds like a bit of a gaffe by the club on this one.....love to hear Bugs come out and say so...it will never happen

:roll: just cant help but have a go can ya!

why would he have to come out and say that? there are hundreds of players we lok at assess, talk tobut ultimately dont sign
his record in getting players in for peanuts, and selling on for millions is unrivalled at this level imo, and no manager/DOF gets it right everytime, imo hes got feck all to apologise/feel guilt over

and i think you misunderstand the meaning of the word risk.
in our opinion, the cost of getting him in and putting him on a contract, with a supect knee meant we werent interested,
this does not mean that "bugs" was guaranteeing that the players knee would collapse under the
strain, just that it was a "risk" too far.

Point I was making is that he'd have been worth taking a gamble with.....much like the club have been happy to take gambles with the likes of Manset Mills Morrison and plenty of others in the
past....I agree with others on here in that teams like Norwich Swansea Soton Brighton have all made the step up with ease so the footballing gap isn't huge so no reason why BWP couldn't do for
Reading what he's currently doing for Charlton

dont have a problem that he could possibly be decent at this level tbf, just saying the knee injury was looked at and taken as too risky for us.
other people assessed it differently, and its paying off at that lower level, but al im saying is that it doesnt make our assessment of the risk/cost wrong in the first place
(possible insurance costs included)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Nov 2011 10:03

Hunt has spent a lot more time on the treatment table in the last year than BWP who has pretty much played every game in that period. Anyone could get a serious injury anytime they go and play football so I dunno it's a bit of :| point. It was probably a back up deal to someone else (Austin maybe) and they probably weren't 100% sure he could step up for the money they were paying. Sometimes you need to take a gamble like they've done with ALF. The quality of BWP's goals the pace he has he clearly would have brought something else to the table. I'd be seriously amazed if folk genuinely would prefer Church and Hunt over BWP? ALF, BWP, Manset and Church for example as a 4 that would look as good as anything in the division.

934 posts