Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
Elm Park Old Boy

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by Elm Park Old Boy » 07 Dec 2015 18:13

McDermott creeping up in the voting, I notice. Come on, you know you want it! Love that man.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Dec 2015 18:28

RoyalinBracknell
Armadillo Roadkill
I just think the 106 was much more attributable to Coppell than promotion under McD can be said to be all his own work. I also think it unlikely the the same set of circumstances could be repeated.

I'd actually disagree with that (not that I want to start a Coppell vs McDermott debate and I certainly don't want to diminish what Coppell achieved, which was stunning). I think though the 106 side was easily the best squad in the division whereas in 2012 I think McDermott was the major factor in getting that squad to win games. I definitely think more managers would have won the league convince you with the 2006 side than would have managed to win the league in 2012.

I've enjoyed reading the last few pages of this thread which have featured some high-quality posts. I get the sense several people have started to warm more to the idea of McDermott coming back - even if it doesn't happen, I hope it might at least lead to a newfound respect/appreciation for what he achieved here.

I'd appoint McDermott personally. As SCAIG said, if he could find something similar to the early 2010 team that would be fantastic - that really was a great side to watch. He's got an excellent record at this level, a closeness to the club/lots of fans, and the one time he got decent money to fill holes he had us promoted within three months. I think it might help re-create a bit of the atmosphere/bond between the club and supporters - and we might actually come from behind and pick up points within the last 10 minutes!

in terms of my enjoyment:

Promotion under Brian > Promotion under Steve Coppell

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 07 Dec 2015 18:43

I don't think it's fair to call our promotion season under Brian a fluke. If you win the league it's no fluke at all. It's also no surprise that in both of his full seasons, we came very strong in the second half of the season. This is probably mainly because we kept having to sell our best players in the summer, players that the side was built around (Sig/Long) to name just a couple. Perhaps, under this ownership and with more money, he may just do well with us again.

On the flip side, under Brian I never got the impression we were building a side, it was all a bit seat of the pants at times. He made some awful signings in Williams (the dodgy left back), Guthrie, Akpan and until recently (although he seems to be slipping again) Blackman. True, we were tight on cash and the ownership situation was a shambles however there were some pore decisions made on player acquisition.

The football was poor at times and we just didn't seem to have method or a particular style of play at all.

It's a no from me with regards to taking him back. If he did come in, I would support him and hope that under more stable ownership and more funds, he could actually build something instead of just plugging holes every transfer window.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Dec 2015 18:58

genome While we're reminiscing about the 2011/12 season, half-time in the concourse at West Ham away was the most fun I've ever had a football match.

Those 10 days or so of West Ham away, saints away then forest at home was best footballing experience.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Dec 2015 19:12

genome While we're reminiscing about the 2011/12 season, half-time in the concourse at West Ham away was the most fun I've ever had a football match.

+1

my favourite ever awayday. Absolutely deafening at ht. must have sounded pretty noisey from the West Ham seats. :P

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 19:13

I had to work during the Saints away match, which I'm still gutted about. I was a bartender in a posh restaurant at the time, and was checking my phone every two minutes and the whole restaurant heard me shouting "YESSS COME ON!!!" 3 times 8)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 19:16

Winston Smith

+1

my favourite ever awayday. Absolutely deafening at ht. must have sounded pretty noisey from the West Ham seats. :P

When Hunt's goal went in (my favourite ever RFC bounce, btw) it was like we'd won the league there and then :lol: I jumped forward and landed on my leg awkwardly, and couldn't walk properly for a month.
Last edited by genome on 07 Dec 2015 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 07 Dec 2015 19:16

Surely there's no way Brian could come back given that Howe got him the boot in the first place?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Dec 2015 19:21

Maguire Surely there's no way Brian could come back given that Howe got him the boot in the first place?

Cellino sacked him about six times though

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Dec 2015 19:23

genome
Winston Smith

+1

When Hunt's goal went in (my favourite ever RFC bounce, btw) it was like we'd won the league there and then :lol: I jumped forward and landed on my leg awkwardly, and couldn't walk properly for a month.

i went down to get beers just before ht, heard the roar go up, about 20 of us looked at each other and just bolted back up the steps and i hurled myself forward over people's shoulders. got carried forward a bit with the players celebrating in front of me. mental scenes.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Dec 2015 19:23

genome
Winston Smith

+1

Soured by the pcunt of a linesman wrongly ruling out our 5th goal.
A score of 5-2 would have won me £150.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 07 Dec 2015 19:25

Brian currently favourite with most bookies to be next Reading manager

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Dec 2015 19:28

genome I had to work during the Saints away match, which I'm still gutted about. I was a bartender in a posh restaurant at the time, and was checking my phone every two minutes and the whole restaurant heard me shouting "YESSS COME ON!!!" 3 times 8)

has to go to Vegas for a weeks worth of conference and meetings. around 10:00am i had already been receiving texts from drunkards on the way down to Southampton. sacked all meetings off by 10:30 and went out into Vegas to find a bar showing it. never found one but got smashed while texts came through about our win.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 19:39

All this reminiscing is making me want Brian back.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Dec 2015 20:01

Jist spock too Denise Berkgamp and he say that he know Joyn Reading beecourse Royal-Dave is a Spaz.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Dec 2015 20:09

Jist quo tin Denise. He tell me he gunner fly over too Ingland two pinch you on face.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Dec 2015 20:19

Dave-Royal
sandman Jist quo tin Denise. He tell me he gunner fly over too Ingland two pinch you on face.

shut up you stupid bloody idiot just kiss my dick ok.

Didn't know you had a duck.

*Nice edit.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 07 Dec 2015 20:34

sandman
Dave-Royal
sandman Jist quo tin Denise. He tell me he gunner fly over too Ingland two pinch you on face.

shut up you stupid bloody idiot just kiss my dick ok.

Didn't know you had a duck.

*Nice edit.

To be honest, you look the bigger dick for responding to him.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 07 Dec 2015 20:40

sandman is Dave-Royal, amirite?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 20:40

Why is Dave a "Registered COPPA User"? Is he actually under 13?

1219 posts