Gylfi is leaving Reading

1419 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Aug 2010 09:50

soggy biscuit There seems to be a lot of naivety on here around business transactions.

People seem really upset that the deal has gone through so late. That is business, leaving it late gives more power to one party involved, why do you think so much business will be done today??

The club will have known for a few days so if they are planning on spending any money then they will also have done their homework and will know who they want and what they can offer.

If it is around £6M for an unproven, young player who has only played 1 full season then it is a cracking deal.

Very good points, but its the old question. Who exactly is it "Good Business" for?

If we dont spend £3-£4m of that on squad improvements it is VERY BAD business. We have already saved £2m odd with 4 big wage earners off the books and £1m in transfer fees. we dont 'need' £6m as such.

If loosing Gyfi ultimately ends up sending us down, we will be back to square one financially and playing League 1 football in front of 9000. You call that 'good business'?

Selling is one thing and its part of the game. Failing to spend those funds wisely is something else and is just about the worst thing a club can do. Seen it all before, cast your mind back to the late 80s and mid 90s after our last 2 successful spells.

Id like to think we will reinvest wisely, but you know whats coming.

Kingsley's Kousin

by Kingsley's Kousin » 31 Aug 2010 09:50

Royal Lady
Kingsley's Kousin
Royal Lady :cry: Not even walking straight into the first team. He was pushed rather than choosing to walk imo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why is that funny? He would have been better off staying at Reading if that is the case - he says quite clearly it's a good deal for the club and himself and he'll miss RFC - I'd have expected him to say it was time for him to move on etc if he REALLY had wanted to go. :cry:

That's the thing, good deal for HIMSELF. He has been offered a LOT more money to go play for a club that is willing to invest, is top of one of the world's best leagues, and is going places. He is leaving a club that has just been knocked out of its country's worst cup competition by a team 49 places below it in the league, which has seen almost no investment, has its best days behind it, and the only place it's going is LIDL.

Pushed out? I think he took an almighty bloody running jump.
Last edited by Kingsley's Kousin on 31 Aug 2010 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 31 Aug 2010 09:50

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We have clearly been actively trying to sell £3m - £6m worth of players. As other have said this bid won't have come from no where. I think it's safe to say that IS knows exactly what is going on and he has talked about the coach being at training sessions and the interest going as far back as the German U21 game. So this clearly has not come as a surprise. Added to the fact we appear to have tried to flog Long and would accept a decent offer for Fed. I would imagine that targets have been lined up. Who they are depends on what they have to spend. Would be shocked not to see Kish sign now and would be disappointed not to see at least £2m invested on quality Championship players. A centre mid who can just run the game and a centre forward to replace Sig's 20 goals. They won't come cheap.

I'm glad to see that with all the clamour for a new defender and striker that someone else has flagged the importance of a central midfielder.

With Cisse, Marek and now Sig gone, Tabb out for probably another month at least, Brynn now injured and Karacan taken off crippled virtually every game, suddenly the position where we had an abundance of options looks a bit bare.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 31 Aug 2010 09:51

papereyes the politics thread

RIP

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 Aug 2010 09:52

Gordons Cumming
Uke
Gordons Cumming This transfer window business needs sorting out.

Mad rush on the last day giving the selling club no time to respond.

Ridiculous.

It's easy all you need to do is extend the purchasing window by one week longer than the selling window. Allowing clubs a extra week to buy players.

Very funny.

It caught RoyalBlue though!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 Aug 2010 09:54

papereyes
This is a joke surely?

It's Uke.

Given some of his posts on the politics thread, I'm actually torn as to the true intent of the post.

Cheers Mate! :|

Missing Baines are you?

barmy_army008

by barmy_army008 » 31 Aug 2010 09:58

Wonder when the club will stick its head above the parapet and announce this? Probably drafting a response to some of the justified anger the deal has created.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 31 Aug 2010 10:01

Knowing Reading they wont say how much they got for him. . . another 'undisclosed fee' transfer

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Aug 2010 10:03

I wish people would stop harping on about this. 6 MILLION quid for one player is a fee a lot of Premiership clubs would struggle to turn down for one of their stars let alone an unproven Championship club.

Whether its a good deal or not is all going to come down to how much Heston gets and what he does with it. I would expect Kingfisherwilly to be a possible deal now and if we could get a good target striker who can score a goal or two from somewhere then we might be improved as a squad....

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Aug 2010 10:11

barmy_army008 Wonder when the club will stick its head above the parapet and announce this? Probably drafting a response to some of the justified anger the deal has created.

Maybe they will make an announcement that Sig has gone and x, y or z has joined. That might be seen as good PR?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2010 10:13

I think we'll get no-one.

..............and HNA will self combust.

IcelandicStokie

by IcelandicStokie » 31 Aug 2010 10:14

Exatly 10 years ago Bolton fans were fuming because their owner decided to cash in on 20 yr old Eidur Gudjohnsen and sold him to Chelsea for 4m. The following season the club won the playoffs and went to the Premiership. Anything can happen in football and one players doesnt make a club.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2010 10:16

IcelandicStokie Exatly 10 years ago Bolton fans were fuming because their owner decided to cash in on 20 yr old Eidur Gudjohnsen and sold him to Chelsea for 4m. The following season the club won the playoffs and went to the Premiership. Anything can happen in football and one players doesnt make a club.

Whatever.............

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Aug 2010 10:17

Gordons Cumming
IcelandicStokie Exatly 10 years ago Bolton fans were fuming because their owner decided to cash in on 20 yr old Eidur Gudjohnsen and sold him to Chelsea for 4m. The following season the club won the playoffs and went to the Premiership. Anything can happen in football and one players doesnt make a club.

Whatever.............

LOL! +1

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2010 10:17

Gordons Cumming

Whatever.............

:lol:

Bolton had a pretty good bunch of players even after he left. We don't even have cover for some positions. :cry:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2010 10:18

Uke
papereyes
This is a joke surely?

It's Uke.

Given some of his posts on the politics thread, I'm actually torn as to the true intent of the post.

Cheers Mate! :|

Missing Baines are you?

At least you haven't mixed us up this time.

IcelandicStokie

by IcelandicStokie » 31 Aug 2010 10:19

Royal Lady
Gordons Cumming

Whatever.............

:lol:

Bolton had a pretty good bunch of players even after he left. We don't even have cover for some positions. :cry:

I just think its madness reading all the doom and gloom here. I know the sky is the limit for Gylfi but there are 10 other players on the pitch.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2010 10:21

:| Have you seen some of them?

It's more to do with the fact that with Sig on the ball you had expectation that he might actually do something with it. Personally, I can't say the some for many, if any, of the others.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 31 Aug 2010 10:24

We are going backwards, sig by sig, i mean brick by brick

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2010 10:25

Who is going to provide the 20 odd goals and possible assists now?

Well?

1419 posts