Re: Ince out!

by morganb » 02 Apr 2023 15:08

Brendan Rodgers has come available

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Apr 2023 17:46

morganb Brendan Rodgers has come available

Really couldn’t be any worse and at least has a bumper book of tactics to call on.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Apr 2023 18:05

He”ll end up back at the Watford merry-go-round.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Apr 2023 18:17

I can't decide if getting a new guy in now would be a good or terrible idea.

The good would be the possibility of the 'new manager bounce', plus the chance to get to know the players before the summer rebuilding job.

The bad though would be our terrible position, as a club/team on the slide, with a rebuilding job hampered by a potential new transfer embargo and even stricter spending limits, and hindered further by the lack of a scouting set-up.

That's not really going to attract the highest calibre of candidate out there, so we could end up with a manager who is the equivalent of an end-of-the-transfer-window panic buy, and be stuck with him for another year or two.

Or, we could just end up with someone from the backroom staff as caretaker manager for the rest of the season, which is unlikely to end well.

The strange thing is that the ideal candidate would be a 21/22 Paul Ince, who could get them fired up and fighting for every point, which would probably be enough for us to stay up in this weak division.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Apr 2023 18:40

Don’t worry, it aint happening.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Apr 2023 19:04

tmesis I can't decide if getting a new guy in now would be a good or terrible idea.

The good would be the possibility of the 'new manager bounce', plus the chance to get to know the players before the summer rebuilding job.

The bad though would be our terrible position, as a club/team on the slide, with a rebuilding job hampered by a potential new transfer embargo and even stricter spending limits, and hindered further by the lack of a scouting set-up.

That's not really going to attract the highest calibre of candidate out there, so we could end up with a manager who is the equivalent of an end-of-the-transfer-window panic buy, and be stuck with him for another year or two.

Or, we could just end up with someone from the backroom staff as caretaker manager for the rest of the season, which is unlikely to end well.

The strange thing is that the ideal candidate would be a 21/22 Paul Ince, who could get them fired up and fighting for every point, which would probably be enough for us to stay up in this weak division.

"New Guy"?.....It's Mark Bowen or nothing. Anyone else will cost money.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Apr 2023 19:59

Ascotexgunner
tmesis I can't decide if getting a new guy in now would be a good or terrible idea.

Exactly that. How people fail to see this amazes me.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Apr 2023 20:02

Yup, we have some dream-boating pillocks here.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Apr 2023 20:49

I really don't know why you guys are so keen to give the owners another chance to hire some random manager from an obscure 2nd tier Eastern European/South American/Brazilian league?

Mark Bowen isn't the answer. If we (re)hire him then i'll give it 6 months before you're all calling for his head as well.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 02 Apr 2023 21:21

Graham Potter is available.......... Rogers and Potter as his assistant anyone? That would be one way to get relegated, by breaking the EFL's rules, as some on here would like.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Apr 2023 21:50

paultheroyal
Ascotexgunner

Kelly Chambers/Paul Ince job swap?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2023 07:59

paultheroyal
Ascotexgunner

I guess the only other option would be Noel Hunt, and while he seems to be doing well with the unders, he isn’t exactly experienced.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2023 08:33

Whilst I understand why some people want Ince out and I share a lot of concerns, we have 7 games left including 2 this weekend. His task is to keep us up, which even with a deduction (if it ever comes), he is still in a decent position to achieve, he is here until the summer at least.

So frankly, it is probably just easier for everyone to just shut up about getting him out for a few weeks because it just isn't happening until May at the earliest.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Apr 2023 10:09

I can't believe the mentality of people.

As things stand we are 7 points off relegation with 7 games to go and 4 of the teams below us have a worse GD. Most would consider that a good position, unlikely to go down and hence a success for Ince under tough circumstances and against all odds.

Throw a 6 point deduction into the mix and all of a sudden we're in a dangerous relegation dogfight. How the hell would that be Ince's fault?? Suddenly he needs to go because of a 6 point drop?

FFS, he may not be the man to take us up to the PL (we have no evidence of that btw, don't know what he can do without restrictions), but one thing he's proven is his ability to get fight out of players threatened with relegation.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Apr 2023 10:39

He isn’t going before May. No matter how much people hate it, he isn’t. Pauno was given ages. Stam was given ages. I still think we’ll have just enough to survive…by virtue of there being 3 worse teams. Wigan, Blackpool and QPR for me.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Apr 2023 11:31

Millsy I can't believe the mentality of people.

As things stand we are 7 points off relegation with 7 games to go and 4 of the teams below us have a worse GD. Most would consider that a good position, unlikely to go down and hence a success for Ince under tough circumstances and against all odds.

Throw a 6 point deduction into the mix and all of a sudden we're in a dangerous relegation dogfight. How the hell would that be Ince's fault?? Suddenly he needs to go because of a 6 point drop?

FFS, he may not be the man to take us up to the PL (we have no evidence of that btw, don't know what he can do without restrictions), but one thing he's proven is his ability to get fight out of players threatened with relegation.

He proved it once last season. He's not proven it this season. There are very good reasons why no other club has kept him for more than 12 months and why he hadn't been in management for 8 years.

And it will be his fault because he had the chance to keep the players focused on aiming high when they were doing well at the start of the season. Instead he banned all talk of playoffs and repeatedly and publicly talked down the abilities of his players, created a culture of negativity and predicted failure, and went into games trying to hold out for draws rather than going for wins. Had he not done so, we would've had far more points by now so any deduction would've not put us a risk of relegation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2023 11:36

RoyalBlue
Millsy I can't believe the mentality of people.

He proved it once last season. He's not proven it this season. There are very good reasons why no other club has kept him for more than 12 months and why he hadn't been in management for 8 years.

And it will be his fault because he had the chance to keep the players focused on aiming high when they were doing well at the start of the season. Instead he banned all talk of playoffs and repeatedly and publicly talked down the abilities of his players, created a culture of negativity and predicted failure, and went into games trying to hold out for draws rather than going for wins. Had he not done so, we would've had far more points by now so any deduction would've not put us a risk of relegation.

This is the black and white that I always have an issue with. Yes, I wish we had been more attacking at times but does it follow, that it would have led to more points? No. By being more open, we could easily have found ourselves a few points better/worse off or even in exactly the same spot. If we had been more attacking at say Sunderland - we may have got a point, or they may well have scored in the 28th minute rather than the 82nd before going on to win 2 or 3-0.

It may well have been more enjoyable but there is literally no guarantee it would have been more successful.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Apr 2023 11:38

Kitsondinho He isn’t going before May. No matter how much people hate it, he isn’t. Pauno was given ages. Stam was given ages. I still think we’ll have just enough to survive…by virtue of there being 3 worse teams. Wigan, Blackpool and QPR for me.

Yeah agreed, even with the 6pt deduction should it indeed go ahead, it just requires us to get 2 more points than QPR that I think we're capable of based on current form, we may well need to because Huddersfield have indeed picked up in form so we need to keep ahead of another team, Cardiff and QPR are good candidates for that.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Apr 2023 11:45

I'm starting to think Huddersfield could get out of it

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Apr 2023 11:49

Royal_jimmy I'm starting to think Huddersfield could get out of it

They are looking better but we've also had a rough run, but we still got points in the games you'd expect us to, the only exception to that I would say was Cardiff.

Hopefully that continues and we get at least a point on Friday, ideally all 3.

The ones who should be worried are Cardiff and QPR I would say as they are losing the winnable games.

1204 posts