New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New manager [Merged]

by brendywendy » 01 Jun 2009 11:31

When he came in, his role was defined as the link between the boardroom and the playing staff. Now he appears to have significant control over player acquisition, player searches, scouting, contract renewal, managerial appointments etc etc

I am not privy to his contract, so I don't know how many of these were specifically included in his original scope of work, but it seems farily clear that his role has expanded. More importantly, whether you work with a sports club or indeed a burger van, good business practice is to shake things up if performance has not been up to the desired standard. If you are genuinely happy with the way the club has operated over the past 2 years then fine, but if you have any doubts or concerns, then surely it is fair enough to consider if not necessary a review of the DoF's position at club, than at least, a review of the range of his responsibilities.

all those tasks strike me as being exactly the link between boardroom and playing staff you mention

doesnt look expanded at all

though it is being highlighted now due to the fact things are happening, while no manager is in place, so its more obviously him.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 01 Jun 2009 11:39

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Jun 2009 11:59

if ferguson is the man we want why cant we just put our money where our mouth is and pay posh so we can have him. would be a great appointment in my opinion. come on board stump up the cash.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:05

Seal I'm beginning to understand that you can be particularly obtuse.

Not at all.

Just pointing out that I don't think you know what you are talking about. :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:09

Ferguson would be a fantastic appointment, and if Peterborough want £1 mill, then we really should just stump up the cash and meet their valuation.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Jun 2009 12:11

http://www.theposh.com/page/OfficialWor ... 55,00.html

theres goes all hope of getting ferguson then!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 12:12

hughsies no.1 if ferguson is the man we want why cant we just put our money where our mouth is and pay posh so we can have him. would be a great appointment in my opinion. come on board stump up the cash.

That's the whole problem, Reading still obviously aren't clear about who they want. Says in the south Wales press that they've done something similar towards Martinez and i imagine Watford. If it was a case of ferguson is who we want then I have no doubts that they would stump up the fee, similar towards Rodgers or Martinez. Reading just want to interview them and that's where Peterborough are annoyed and understandably in all honesty.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 12:14

hughsies no.1 http://www.theposh.com/page/OfficialWord/0,,10427~1678055,00.html

Again obvious as they refused permision to speak with him.

Although if they've drawn a shortlist of 4 up maybe they are a bit further down the line than first thought.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:15

Shortlist of four then, so who do we reckon? Rodgers, Pardew, Tisdale, and Dolan perhaps?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:18

winchester_royal

Shortlist of four then, so who do we reckon? Rodgers, Pardew, Tisdale, and Dolan perhaps?

Sanchez, Boothroyd, Ince and Dolan. :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 12:19

winchester_royal

I reckon Rodgers, Tisdale, Pardew, Poyet maybe.

Can't see it being Dolan, for the sheer reason I think they'd have appointed him already.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Jun 2009 12:22

We need to interview him first along with the other candidates. Otherwise how do we know we're making the right choice and getting the best candidate? We can't just pay compensation and appoint him

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 01 Jun 2009 12:23

Wycombe Royal
winchester_royal

Sanchez, Boothroyd, Ince and Dolan. :lol:

I can think of 4 members of HNA I'd rather have managing us than them...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jun 2009 12:24

Yes, but it's also not fair on him to get him to declare to his current employers that he's interested in leaving them - and then not give him the job!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 12:28

Dirk Gently Yes, but it's also not fair on him to get him to declare to his current employers that he's interested in leaving them - and then not give him the job!

Exactly.

It almost has to be aproper approach with a serious view to appointing him. Reading couldn't have been that serious or of the midset that we want Ferguson, otherwise they would have made more of an effort.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2009 12:36

Alan Partridge
Dirk Gently Yes, but it's also not fair on him to get him to declare to his current employers that he's interested in leaving them - and then not give him the job!

Exactly.

It almost has to be aproper approach with a serious view to appointing him. Reading couldn't have been that serious or of the midset that we want Ferguson, otherwise they would have made more of an effort.

I agree.

Silly question: the compensation money would only be if we sign him right? I mean, it's not a case of paying just to be allowed to talk to him is it? Because if we *really* want him I'm sure we'd put up a million.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:38

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Alan Partridge

Exactly.

I agree.

Silly question: the compensation money would only be if we sign him right? I mean, it's not a case of paying just to be allowed to talk to him is it? Because if we *really* want him I'm sure we'd put up a million.

you have to agree a fee before talking to him. If we offer him the job and he accepts, then Posh will be given the money

but if we have him on the list of 7, i wonder who the other six are

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 12:41

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Alan Partridge

Exactly.

I agree.

Only if Reading appoint him I believe, but as the Posh chairman says if Ferguson goes there with the intent of getting the Reading job then it's clear he doesn't want to be at Posh.

West Ham made an approach for PArds because they wanted him as manager likewise Reading with Coppell, this clearly was a let's have a chat and see what we think kind of offer. If the really wanted Ferguson then I would have no doubts they'd have paid up, interviewed him and then decided. Clearly he wasn't their number 1 choice.

Shame really because Ferguson and MArtinez would be two outstanding candidates who i must admit believed wouldn't be interested in the Reading job. I can only hope these 4 candidates they have as a shortlist are of similar standard.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:42

gazzer, loyal royal
you have to agree a fee before talking to him. If we offer him the job and he accepts, then Posh will be given the money

but if we have him on the list of 7, i wonder who the other six are

On the Posh website it says we now have a shortlist of 4 and Ferg is not one of them.

Do keep up.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Jun 2009 12:46

winchester_royal

Rodgers, Tisdale, Irvine + 1

1747 posts