The bloke in the next seat

brizzle royal

The bloke in the next seat

by brizzle royal » 08 Aug 2010 12:24

When I went to the marketing suite at Smallmead to pick my seat for the new shiny stadium that was to become the Madstad little did I know that Pete, Paul and Ron were doing the same. When I sat down at our first game against Luton , Pete was the one sitting next to me. Over the course of the years we have only really ever chatted about football, mainly Reading obviously but games that had been on the telly, England etc.
Occassionally we would bump into each other at away games or had spotted each other at a distance and discuss the result at the next home game. Pete always goes to more away games than I do now,so I know that for a sensible view of the game his opinions were always welcomed. Sometimes he has even arranged his holiday so that it might be in the vicinity of an away game and take his very patient wife with him.
For a few season now I have been saying " its my last season, I won`t be renewing my ticket, its too long a drive from Somerset " to be met with a knowing grin from Pete. Sure enough the new season starts and there is Pete, still grinning as I take my seat so as usual I was looking forward to this ritual as I took my seat on Saturday.
Whats this , no Pete? Paul took me aside and told me Pete is in a local hospice facing a far bigger challenge than any Royals team has had to face. All your friends in the West Upper have you and your family in our thoughts.
So if you havent got to know the bloke in the next seat, make an effort, you just might get to know someone like Pete.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The bloke in the next seat

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 12:44

Got 2 old boys who sit next to me who I've got to know fairly well. They've helped chill me right out, so much so that I actually watch the large majority of the game now.

brizzle royal

by brizzle royal » 08 Aug 2010 13:30

What makes it worse is he is only 55, I am the old bloke sitting next to him !

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 08 Aug 2010 13:52

I used to have a lovely older lady sitting next to me, ex St Johns Ambulance, who was very nice and chatty. Now, for this season at least, I have someone sitting next to me, who managed within the first half an hour to piss me right off. Now I'm quite vociferous about most things with regards to football, so will call out for nearly everything, as do quite a few others round me. The first time I chanted/shouted about something, he goes 'What game are you watching make, for oxf*rd sake!" When Sig scores he doesn't even clap or stand to celebrate the goal, instead sitting arms crossed in his seat. Doesn't clap one of the subs on or off, and then, when Shane took to heavy a touch and shanked the ball into the side netting, to which I said "Shane, control the oxf*rd ball!" (As you would at a football match) He says "Oh so you think you're so oxf*rd good, you think you could do any better?" I'm so looking forward to another 22 games sitting next to him!

Nobby

by Nobby » 08 Aug 2010 14:03

Blimey. This is the sort of thing I always feared by getting a season ticket in the Eaststand.

ie: You can't choose your neighbours.

Most of them near me, are very quiet, but now I feel grateful for that.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 08 Aug 2010 14:07

Well I'm a West-stander rather than and East-stander.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Aug 2010 16:06

Either side was OK yesterday but I don't like it when you get to your seat and someone in the seat behind you has got their feet on the top of your chair. Get your f***ing feet off my chair you jippo!!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Aug 2010 18:36

Man Friday Either side was OK yesterday but I don't like it when you get to your seat and someone in the seat behind you has got their feet on the top of your chair. Get your f***ing feet off my chair you jippo!!!

Stupid woman behind me does that ALL THE TIME. She's a lot quieter these days, I think after 10 years of sitting behind us she's finally realised that she talks shit. Another stupid woman appears to have moved seats or not renewed. I missed Russell Street yesterday. She's moved next to me, but didn't go to the game. But she won't dance to any goal music, so she'll be pleased with the new "tune" when she hears it! :lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Aug 2010 18:40

The two fellas either side fo me are absolute cunts tbf

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2010 19:15

I seem to have the uncanny ability to always get a seat within 5 yards of some prick who spends the entire match bitching about absolutely anything and everything. Usually singling out one or two of our players for special verbal treatment, so that no matter what they do, they are apparently the worst players we've ever had.

I've sat in Y22,23,25 & 26. Front back and middle. Got it in the South Stand in the Prem days too. Can't remember my early forays into the North and West.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Aug 2010 19:26

The guy in front of us admitted that he's had surgery and is suffering from sciatica and isn't sure he'll be able to attend many games this season. Feel quite sad about that as he was celebrating watching Reading play for 60 years at the end of last season. He's a lovely guy.

The two guys behind me spend a large part of every match abusing the referee and linesmen, which makes me laugh most of the time as I doubt any of them take any notice.

fridays child

by fridays child » 08 Aug 2010 19:32

We sit in front of 'orgasm woman' every time there's a bit of 'excitement' on pitch it's 'yes, yes yes' or 'no, no, no' or 'oh'oh'oh'.

In front we have people who think their seats are reclining, leaning so far back that I dream of jumping up suddenly with a hefty knee to their head.

zummerset

by zummerset » 08 Aug 2010 19:35

Bad news that Brizzle- can you communicate Hobnobbers best wishes and that we are thinking of him?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 08 Aug 2010 19:49

Yeah, the bloke who sat in front of me in the North stand used to turn round and slate mine and my mates' views, especially regarding Kitson. He one day brought his kids along and was remarkable quiet all game, and at the end of the match turned round with his young'ens and said 'kids, this is exactly how not to behave at a match'.

i wanted to punch the pcnut

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 08 Aug 2010 19:49

Maguire The two fellas either side fo me are absolute cunts tbf

We both speak highly of you too.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 21:57

Kitson12 I used to have a lovely older lady sitting next to me, ex St Johns Ambulance, who was very nice and chatty. Now, for this season at least, I have someone sitting next to me, who managed within the first half an hour to piss me right off. Now I'm quite vociferous about most things with regards to football, so will call out for nearly everything, as do quite a few others round me. The first time I chanted/shouted about something, he goes 'What game are you watching make, for oxf*rd sake!" When Sig scores he doesn't even clap or stand to celebrate the goal, instead sitting arms crossed in his seat. Doesn't clap one of the subs on or off, and then, when Shane took to heavy a touch and shanked the ball into the side netting, to which I said "Shane, control the oxf*rd ball!" (As you would at a football match) He says "Oh so you think you're so oxf*rd good, you think you could do any better?" I'm so looking forward to another 22 games sitting next to him!

There's a bloke who sat 2/3 seats along from me last season on a couple of occasions. The first game he sat there was the first home game after they made public "the financial reports" following us chanting where's the money gone

He spent the first 20 minutes of the game going round and round in circles moaning about the report and what he believed to be the inaccuracies as if he had some sort of audience. I snapped at him, "mate, we all read the fcuking paper, we're all pissed off with our home form and losing our best players etc but we don't need some prick we've never seen before to give us a running commentary on it"

He was a little less audible on the other occasions he sat with us :mrgreen:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Aug 2010 22:00

Ian Royal I seem to have the uncanny ability to always get a seat within 5 yards of some prick who spends the entire match bitching about absolutely anything and everything. Usually singling out one or two of our players for special verbal treatment, so that no matter what they do, they are apparently the worst players we've ever had.

I've sat in Y22,23,25 & 26. Front back and middle. Got it in the South Stand in the Prem days too. Can't remember my early forays into the North and West.

I've been really lucky on that front. I hope I haven't jinxed it.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 08 Aug 2010 22:20

Big Foot
Kitson12 I used to have a lovely older lady sitting next to me, ex St Johns Ambulance, who was very nice and chatty. Now, for this season at least, I have someone sitting next to me, who managed within the first half an hour to piss me right off. Now I'm quite vociferous about most things with regards to football, so will call out for nearly everything, as do quite a few others round me. The first time I chanted/shouted about something, he goes 'What game are you watching make, for oxf*rd sake!" When Sig scores he doesn't even clap or stand to celebrate the goal, instead sitting arms crossed in his seat. Doesn't clap one of the subs on or off, and then, when Shane took to heavy a touch and shanked the ball into the side netting, to which I said "Shane, control the oxf*rd ball!" (As you would at a football match) He says "Oh so you think you're so oxf*rd good, you think you could do any better?" I'm so looking forward to another 22 games sitting next to him!

There's a bloke who sat 2/3 seats along from me last season on a couple of occasions. The first game he sat there was the first home game after they made public "the financial reports" following us chanting where's the money gone

He spent the first 20 minutes of the game going round and round in circles moaning about the report and what he believed to be the inaccuracies as if he had some sort of audience. I snapped at him, "mate, we all read the fcuking paper, we're all pissed off with our home form and losing our best players etc but we don't need some prick we've never seen before to give us a running commentary on it"

He was a little less audible on the other occasions he sat with us :mrgreen:

Good on you sir!

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 18 Aug 2010 15:46

Brizzle you have a pm

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 18 Aug 2010 16:05

I'd hate to be sitting in front or behind of us
Our use of the English language is sketchy at best and the alcohol fumes must be enough to get anyone p*ssed

Ohhh Big Foot you sit behind us ;)