Player 13 - the only player more embarrassing than Long

141 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Player 13 - the only player more embarrassing than Long

by Millsy » 28 Nov 2010 01:20

OUR SUPPORT IS F**KING SH*T.

Throw your toys out the pram all you like those who disagree, but you're wrong and I don't care if this thread p*sses you off.

East stand, you make the old Southbank chantstarters sick that you're allowed in the ground.

Not fit to wear the hoops. Not fit to sit in the East Stand. Not fit to call yourself Reading fans like the generations above you who sung at the tops of our voices to help lift the team from the depths of English football to where we are now.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Player 13 - the only player more embarrassing than Long

by SLAMMED » 28 Nov 2010 01:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm a better fan than you

Blah blah blah.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Nov 2010 01:32

SLAMMED
2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm a better fan than you

Blah blah blah.

The cap fits. I'll wear it.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Nov 2010 01:33

Where I was sat was pretty decent today TBH. In the main I agree though...05/06 & 06/07 we were great but each season it seems to get quieter. Chants will start but very quickly die down. Blue army used to go on for ages & ages now it's not even a minute's worth.

Where did all the loud fans go?!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Nov 2010 01:38

MmmMonsterMunch Where I was sat was pretty decent today TBH. In the main I agree though...05/06 & 06/07 we were great but each season it seems to get quieter. Chants will start but very quickly die down. Blue army used to go on for ages & ages now it's not even a minute's worth.

Where did all the loud fans go?!

We got older and moved away alas.

If you think those years were good then you'd orgasm over what the southbank would do to visiting teams.

To the younger lot who are reading this - sorry to sound so harsh, but FFS get behind the team you love like those have done for 139 years before you.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Nov 2010 01:41

It's no coincidence that as the team gets worse year on year, the support gets worse year on year. Not saying its right but you can sense most Reading fans don't expect much on the pitch for the next few years.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 28 Nov 2010 01:49

Yes, it was all that singing which built Reading FC into a modern business. Never mind the decade of patient investment and ultimately intelligent coaching.

Incidentally, of all the home ends I've sat in, I've never felt more embarrassed to do so than when implored to 'back the boys and make some noise!' I made the mistake of inviting an Arsenal-supporting ex to the Madejski, forgetting about that bit. Even though I knew she was used to the deathly silences of Ashburton Grove, I froze at that point. I could feeling her staring at me with an expression that said "This? THIS is what you do for fun? Even Goonersaurus isn't this gay."
The relationship lasted another month.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 28 Nov 2010 01:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup OUR SUPPORT IS F**KING SH*T.

Throw your toys out the pram all you like those who disagree, but you're wrong and I don't care if this thread p*sses you off.

East stand, you make the old Southbank chantstarters sick that you're allowed in the ground.

Not fit to wear the hoops. Not fit to sit in the East Stand. Not fit to call yourself Reading fans like the generations above you who sung at the tops of our voices to help lift the team from the depths of English football to where we are now.

Well how about this to solve your problem, download some MP3's of people chanting, put them on your Ipod and listen to it at the game.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 28 Nov 2010 02:14

lesson number one...don`t go online when your pissed..point proven.

BTW there was never going to be any comparison to 4.000 Yorkshire loudmouths.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Nov 2010 02:31

LOL @ thinking the South Bank was particularly intimidating. Plenty of games where it was quiet.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Nov 2010 02:34

2 world wars, 1 world cup OUR SUPPORT IS F**KING SH*T.

Here we go :| . 2WW, as usual I really like your passion but is this really worth a rehash for the umpteenth time? Our support may predominantly be shrinking violets, but I am hardly creaming myself over a Leeds support which included some twerp who hung around for 5-10 minutes at the end behaving like an absolute caveman with his gesticulations and chest-thumping towards the East Stand at the end of non-interesting 0-0 almost entirely devoid of incident. Vocal support is overrated anyway; it's all about the moaning, complaining and acerbic comments.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 28 Nov 2010 02:36

Where did the myth that the support at Elm Park intimidated visitin teams? Maybe for the odd season (94/95) or for the odd game but on the whole our support was always quiet. When I was a yoof I used to ask my Dad whether he could hear the South Bank. Most times he couldn't.

Maybe it's something to do with the character of Reading people, but, as I remember, the only times there were decent atmospheres either at Elm Park or the Madejski it was when we had a loud bunch of visiting fans.

So what?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Nov 2010 02:37

Hampshire Royal Where did the myth that the support at Elm Park intimidated visitin teams? Maybe for the odd season (94/95) or for the odd game but on the whole our support was always quiet. When I was a yoof I used to ask my Dad whether he could hear the South Bank. Most times he couldn't.

Maybe it's something to do with the character of Reading people, but, as I remember, the only times there were decent atmospheres either at Elm Park or the Madejski it was when we had a loud bunch of visiting fans.

So what?

Somebody is remembering McGhee's Wolves visits and thinking that's what it was always like IMO.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 28 Nov 2010 07:43

football has moved on 2WW, ts not about singing and intimidation anymore, its about stats.

as usual though, the north is 10 years behind...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Nov 2010 07:45

The problem at RFC is the quiet lot in the middle of the East stand, or always used to be, really only a couple of blocks that sing, and thats mostly up the back.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 28 Nov 2010 09:02

Problem is no-one's really sure where Reading's famous 'Silent Firm' are going to pitch up next. They're everywhere you know.

BTW, I thought it hilarious to see a club like Leeds and its supporters celebrate gaining a point at little old Reading as if they'd won something in Europe.

Big noise from the northerners, but still one point only.

under the tin

by under the tin » 28 Nov 2010 09:04

It cracks me up what some people get all worked up about.
Everybody knows that only the committed travel, we are no different, and are noisier away from home, the same as every other club.
Yesteday we hosted not a big club, but a truly monolithic one. I called into the Royal Albion for a couple, pre match. A minibus turned up, full of Leeds fans from South Wales. The old boy sat behind me on the 76 said in his berkshire burr that his boy was coming in from Caversham to see the game "He's a Leeds fan". The stadium was well populated with tourists, coming for no other reason than because who we were playing. There is no substitute in football for being able to say that we've been there, and done that. Most of Reading's history is synonymous with mediocrity, and that was highlighted yesterday, when they can sing their own famous football anthem, "marching all together", and the best that we can come back with is Blarmy (thump thump). In terms of vocal support, yesterday was the equivalent to Barton Rovers U9's vs Barcelona. It was always going to be that way. Deal with it.

Don't fret about it, we can have our moments. Wait for a fixture against the scum, Headington, etc.

Lastly, the thread title is out of order. Get the f*ck off of Long's back.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Nov 2010 09:06

I think some stats are needed to help this discussion.....

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Nov 2010 09:20

MmmMonsterMunch It's no coincidence that as the team gets worse year on year, the support gets worse year on year. Not saying its right but you can sense most Reading fans don't expect much on the pitch for the next few years.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. Th time that are being talked about above (when the noise was louder) were when we were in Divs 3 and 4 and playing some pretty rank football (at times). MOST Reading fans do expect a lot on the pitch and they should do. I can't explain why the chanting is less loud now that it was a short while ago but I'll give you one possibility;

follow the 'proposed new chant/ song / anything else' threads and witness the virulent attacks on anyone who tries to suggest an idea. The weight of opinion is always that it is naff and that 'we are proper football fans who sing/ chant proper football songs etc'. The truth is that the naff songs like Man City's, Stoke' s and yes, even Leeds's do get the crowd going. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen. Witness how wound up the opposition get when a mass of Stokies sing Delilah - it is totally naff but it does the trick.

The club has tried to create that with Sweet Caroline (a great chorus that could ring around the stadium), Sing for the Royals etc but there is a mass objection to it from us the fans (well not me, obviously!). Might I suggest that all it takes is for the crew at the back of the East Stand to come up with a song, to sing it (even against the pressure of silence from other areas and it will, eventually be adopted en masse.

Anyway, back to the original point, to suggest that the quality of football is lower now than in the hey days of the South bank is just wrong, wrong and wrong.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Nov 2010 09:22

I thought that the club ditched Sweet Caroline quite quickly.

Could really have become a RFC anthem.

141 posts