James Harper v Liverpool

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
imwithit

James Harper v Liverpool

by imwithit » 29 Dec 2010 14:54

Hello,

My friend writes for a magazine website and often writes about being a Reading fan. I put one of his articles on here the other day.

Seeing as Harper scored against us yesterday it seems good timing that they published his account of that goal against liverpool.

Also includes the video

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-s ... liverpool/

pea
Hob Nob Regular

Re: James Harper v Liverpool

by pea » 29 Dec 2010 15:23

Love it

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Dec 2010 16:15

Every time I see those highlights I think thank god we don't have Sonko playing for us anymore.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 29 Dec 2010 17:19

Even tho i hate Harper, that goal and his one at Palace were both complete mentallers for me.

Saw highlights of the Liverpool game on ESPN a while back. Couldnt believe how lucky we were in that game.

Cookie

by Cookie » 29 Dec 2010 19:20

A player's player.
Hear what Nigel Pearson says about him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 319795.stm

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 29 Dec 2010 19:24

Tony Le Mesmer Even tho i hate Harper, that goal and his one at Palace were both complete mentallers for me.

Saw highlights of the Liverpool game on ESPN a while back. Couldnt believe how lucky we were in that game.

I love the piece, clearly emotional but not expecting those heights ever again.

Looking back, two stonewall pens for them and ours was well, lets say a touch generous. I was inY20 that evening. Happy times.

Never saw MOTD that night as ended up in the George at Loddon Bridge after the game and promised myself that Id have to get home and see what Lawrenson had to say about it, never made it, but can visualise his face screwed up.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Dec 2010 19:57

Winnershroyal
Tony Le Mesmer Even tho i hate Harper, that goal and his one at Palace were both complete mentallers for me.

I love the piece, clearly emotional but not expecting those heights ever again.

Looking back, two stonewall pens for them and ours was well, lets say a touch generous. I was inY20 that evening. Happy times.

Never saw MOTD that night as ended up in the George at Loddon Bridge after the game and promised myself that Id have to get home and see what Lawrenson had to say about it, never made it, but can visualise his face screwed up.

Hardly. Sonko clearly nicks the ball away from Torres, although the second was a bit :| but you can see why the referee didn't give it because there's hardly any contact from Sonko on Torres. The only contact there appears to be is when Sonko is on the ground and Torres ankle is tapped by Sonko's armpit. Ours is a clear infringement, and again you can see why the referee and linesman gave it as a penalty. Realtime, even in slow motion, despite first contact occurring outside the area, Gunnarsson is only going over when he is inside the box. Referee and linesman have no real choice but to give a penalty because it's the only decision they can give with certainty. IMO to give a free kick would be a cop-out.

Yes we were lucky in some ways, but in others it was a thoroughly deserved win.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Dec 2010 20:14

handbags_harris Realtime, even in slow motion, despite first contact occurring outside the area, Gunnarsson is only going over when he is inside the box. Referee and linesman have no real choice but to give a penalty because it's the only decision they can give with certainty. IMO to give a free kick would be a cop-out.

[rant mode:ON]I know this is not what you're saying, but this bit is my least favourite 'pundit onservation'. First contact eas outside the area. Well, if it was and there's more contact inside the area, then it's a penalty on the basis that the referee has played on from the original offence as there is a clear advantage !!
[rant mode:OFF]

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 29 Dec 2010 20:52

Love it!

It's a right Royal night in Berkshire!

My 2nd favourite game after the cup win over them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Hea0KZ4ys

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Dec 2010 22:41

Franchise FC
handbags_harris Realtime, even in slow motion, despite first contact occurring outside the area, Gunnarsson is only going over when he is inside the box. Referee and linesman have no real choice but to give a penalty because it's the only decision they can give with certainty. IMO to give a free kick would be a cop-out.

[rant mode:ON]I know this is not what you're saying, but this bit is my least favourite 'pundit onservation'. First contact eas outside the area. Well, if it was and there's more contact inside the area, then it's a penalty on the basis that the referee has played on from the original offence as there is a clear advantage !!
[rant mode:OFF]

I don't necessarily agree. My comment above isn't really indicative of my views to be honest, bit of a red herring. My opinion lies not "where the first contact occurred" as football is a contact sport. My view is "where does the contact that causes an infringment occur"? Now I'm expecting any referee or linesman to be able to see the double contact in the respective Carragher/Gunnarsson incident, but first contact (outside the area) is minimal, second contact, however (inside the area) is obviously an infringement.

DavidM62

by DavidM62 » 29 Dec 2010 23:21

It was definitely the high point of that Reading team. I kind of forgave Harper his goal for how great that moment felt.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1