You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

183 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2010 10:41

Who would you bring IN?
Who would you ship OUT?

Realistically, I would like to see us make Leigertwood's signing permanent if we can get him for a fee which is right for the club and QPR. I think he relishes playing with his old mate Jobi McAnuff and there'd be fairly compelling grounds on which Elwood could move here - don't know if he's a family man, but he wouldn't have to move very far for a starters.

It's also glaringly obvious - despite Long's mini revival - that we need a new striker who can change the game. I would like the club to sign Charlie Austin (chances of this actually happening are 50/50, I'd say it's a case of CA deciding whether or not he could stand the sight of Nicky Hammond again). Signing him would signal our intent to us fans and to the other teams out there as well as massively annoying our M4 neighbours. Austin is 6ft+ and from what I've seen of him, good in the air & I think he could form a deadly partnership with any of our existing 3 first choice strikers.

Unfortunately, the club will need to balance the books and the money spent on Austin will have to come from somewhere. I would cash in on Federici whilst he's still got a year+ to run on his contract and his stock is relatively high. We've got 3 very good young keepers at the club and so wouldn't be too short of cover. I'd make Andersen first choice keeper.

Additionally, I would sell Brian Howard as he's been out of form all season and isn't a box to box midfielder, nor a combative tackling midfield or an out and out attacking midfielder similar to Gylfi. I just don't see how he could fit into the team as anything other than a passenger.

shaka's shorts

Re: You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by shaka's shorts » 30 Dec 2010 10:49

Sell - Williams, Mooney, Scott Davies, Bignall
Loan out - Hamer, McCarthy (get Anderson back), Kelly, Taylor, D'Ath

Buy - Elwood, Austin

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 30 Dec 2010 10:52

Big Foot Who would you bring IN?
Who would you ship OUT?

Realistically, I would like to see us make Leigertwood's signing permanent if we can get him for a fee which is right for the club and QPR. I think he relishes playing with his old mate Jobi McAnuff and there'd be fairly compelling grounds on which Elwood could move here - don't know if he's a family man, but he wouldn't have to move very far for a starters.

It's also glaringly obvious - despite Long's mini revival - that we need a new striker who can change the game. I would like the club to sign Charlie Austin (chances of this actually happening are 50/50, I'd say it's a case of CA deciding whether or not he could stand the sight of Nicky Hammond again). Signing him would signal our intent to us fans and to the other teams out there as well as massively annoying our M4 neighbours. Austin is 6ft+ and from what I've seen of him, good in the air & I think he could form a deadly partnership with any of our existing 3 first choice strikers.

Unfortunately, the club will need to balance the books and the money spent on Austin will have to come from somewhere. I would cash in on Federici whilst he's still got a year+ to run on his contract and his stock is relatively high. We've got 3 very good young keepers at the club and so wouldn't be too short of cover. I'd make Andersen first choice keeper.

Additionally, I would sell Brian Howard as he's been out of form all season and isn't a box to box midfielder, nor a combative tackling midfield or an out and out attacking midfielder similar to Gylfi. I just don't see how he could fit into the team as anything other than a passenger.

Pretty decent assessment tbf. The only thing I'd add to that would be trying to dump the likes of Mooney, Davies and Williams.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2010 11:02

Ferris
Who would you ship OUT?

Pretty decent assessment tbf. The only thing I'd add to that would be trying to dump the likes of Mooney, Davies and Williams.
Yup, having just read a couple of posts up I realised I'd completely forgotten about them.

Perhaps Mooney could be used as a make weight in the Austin deal, Davies seems to be well liked by Wycombe so will end up there and Williams - is he even getting a game at P'boro?

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 30 Dec 2010 11:22

shaka's shorts Sell - Williams, Mooney, Scott Davies, Bignall
Loan out - Hamer, McCarthy (get Anderson back), Kelly, Taylor, D'Ath

Buy - Elwood, Austin

This. Although we wouldn't/physically couldn't sell Williams.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Dec 2010 11:27

Fairly decent summary, not one I wholeheartedly agree with though.

Goalkeeper: why the hell do we have four goalkeepers on our books who all could conceivably be first choice at some stage in the next couple of years? We really need to shift a couple off our books. In my honest opinion a club needs a clear first choice (Federici), a good back-up (Andersen/Mccarthy) and a good youngster coming through to provide cover (Locke). That leaves, for me, Hamer being shipped out and one of Andersen or McCarthy also. Both have obvious benefits for keeping and shipping out. Federici, on current form, must stay.

Defence: whilst not overrun with defenders, we are obviously heavily weighted on left back and still light on permanent central defenders. Marcus Williams's nightmare needs to end so just get rid, nobody needs to come in as a replacement so that's hefty sums saved on wages there. I would also look at signing Khizanishvili for a nominal fee with his contract up in the summer. Blackburn's new owners and manager may be willing to do a decent deal. Mills, Pearce, Khizanishvili are all stayers, Ingimarsson - maybe trade him out and get some fresh blood in, the latter being the priority. Right back - Griffin has that spot nailed but the cover is very weak. Kelly is adequate at best, while Cummings, despite his spell earlier this season, just doesn't cut the mustard. Cummings goes for me.

Midfield: Heavily weighted with central midfielders. Nothing needs to be done with the wings this transfer window, Kebe and McAnuff the obvious first choices with Robson-Kanu and Antonio as back-up. I would personally finally get rid of Scott Davies, end Gunnarsson's reign here :cry: , and look to sign Leigertwood permanently. In response to Big Fot, Brian Howard must stay because, as demonstrated on Tuesday, he is the nly player who actually has the ability to get his foot on the ball and knock it around. He may not do it very well at times, but he is something totally different to Karacan, Leigertwood and Tabb. Quelle surprise that we actually looked a much better team when he came on on Tuesday.

Striking: abundantly clear all season long we need a "no.1 striker" to assist Long, Hunt and Church. Use Mooney as a makeweight, I would also drop Bignall and Bell-Baggie off the books as they aren't showing the promise that their youth suggested now.

A lot of work there, in an ideal world all of that would happen but I can see very little of it happening to be honest. Maybe Khizanishvili, Williams, Davies, Mooney going out, with not much being brought in...

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 30 Dec 2010 11:29

Even Scunny have stated they wouldn't take Williams back :|

I would love to see Austin come but think another team will come in for him and offer more money.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2010 11:34

handbags_harris Federici, on current form, must stay...
As a fan, I agree. However, putting my "management" cap on and thinking of what the saleable assets are and impact it'd have on the team I'd say that selling Federici instead of say, Kebe or McAnuff would have the least amount of pain associated whilst also maximising transfer income.

handbags_harris I would also look at signing Khizanishvili for a nominal fee with his contract up in the summer. Blackburn's new owners and manager may be willing to do a decent deal.
For me that deal is already done so discounted it from my original post. Can't see anything other than him joining us full time be it Jan or in summer.

handbags_harris In response to Big Fot, Brian Howard must stay because, as demonstrated on Tuesday, he is the nly player who actually has the ability to get his foot on the ball and knock it around. He may not do it very well at times, but he is something totally different to Karacan, Leigertwood and Tabb. Quelle surprise that we actually looked a much better team when he came on on Tuesday.
I think that was more to do with us putting McAnuff in the middle and having Antonio's energy as an additional outlet.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 30 Dec 2010 11:47

A Colchester supporter on Twitter reports that Mooney is being recalled when his loan ends (tomorrow).

No idea if that's to re sold/loaned elsewhere or to join the squad.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 30 Dec 2010 12:16

handbags_harris I would personally finally get rid of Scott Davies, end Gunnarsson's reign here :cry: , and look to sign Leigertwood permanently. In response to Big Fot, Brian Howard must stay because, as demonstrated on Tuesday, he is the nly player who actually has the ability to get his foot on the ball and knock it around. He may not do it very well at times, but he is something totally different to Karacan, Leigertwood and Tabb. Quelle surprise that we actually looked a much better team when he came on on Tuesday.

Scott Davies > Brian Howard.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Dec 2010 12:19

I really can't remember Howard doing anything worthwhile when he came on at Hull.

Antonio, though, made a big difference and he will frighten defences.

I believe it will hurt us to lose Fedders but we need to look to the future. Sign him on a new contract with an escape clause, or allow him to go for a bit of money (probably meaning mid-table this season) and develop Anderson/Mcarthy.

To just drift close and closer to him going for nothing, and starting a new season with a new keeper seems bonkers.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2010 12:20

Thomas L'Heureux
handbags_harris I would personally finally get rid of Scott Davies, end Gunnarsson's reign here :cry: , and look to sign Leigertwood permanently. In response to Big Fot, Brian Howard must stay because, as demonstrated on Tuesday, he is the nly player who actually has the ability to get his foot on the ball and knock it around. He may not do it very well at times, but he is something totally different to Karacan, Leigertwood and Tabb. Quelle surprise that we actually looked a much better team when he came on on Tuesday.

I'd go along with that too, I can't believe he's not been given a chance here

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 30 Dec 2010 12:23

You can't always just "get rid" of players who are under contract - even if another club does want them they may not be prepared to accept the cut in wages. (Would you?)

So if you have to pay off a player's whoel contract you save nothing.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 30 Dec 2010 12:23

Big Foot
Thomas L'Heureux

I'd go along with that too, I can't believe he's not been given a chance here

His right foot is better than Howard's left (he can also use his weaker foot too), he's far more mobile and dynamic, and is tougher in the tackle. Howard is probably a more assured player with more experience, but you only get that by playing games which unfortunately Davies hasn't had the chance to do so.

I was genuinely excited by him at the beginning of last season under Rodgers, and although he wasn't as consistent as you'd like, for a young player he showed a lot of promise.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2010 12:42

Svlad Cjelli You can't always just "get rid" of players who are under contract - even if another club does want them they may not be prepared to accept the cut in wages. (Would you?)

So if you have to pay off a player's whoel contract you save nothing.

We all know that there's stringent logistics to be adhered to but this is fans futily speculating on a forum.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Dec 2010 12:52

muddyfeet Even Scunny have stated they wouldn't take Williams back :|
Forgot about him!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Dec 2010 12:54

Svlad Cjelli A Colchester supporter on Twitter reports that Mooney is being recalled when his loan ends (tomorrow).

No idea if that's to re sold/loaned elsewhere or to join the squad.

I think he might actually get a chance to be involved in the squad, he's very different to what we have and could be effective off the bench. He has some confidence from scoring goals this year too.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Dec 2010 12:56

I would also drop Bignall and Bell-Baggie off the books as they aren't showing the promise that their youth suggested now.

Very harsh on two players who are still very young.

Particularly Bell-Baggie who is only 18 :|

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Dec 2010 12:57

Who would you ship OUT?
What's the budget?
What are the board requirements?

Personally, I would expect it to be a case of reduce numbers/wage bill and perhaps if lucky £150k available for a striker unless transfer funds come in, in which case that will increase.

Requirements - push for play offs on a shoestring.

So, on the above I would work backwards and pick the players that I need to keep and everyone else can go. Priority has to be a striker and the budget won't allow for a Dave Kitson or even a Jamie Cureton, So we're looking for a Lloyd Owusu.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Dec 2010 12:59

ZacNaloen
I would also drop Bignall and Bell-Baggie off the books as they aren't showing the promise that their youth suggested now.

Very harsh on two players who are still very young.

Particularly Bell-Baggie who is only 18 :|
I imagine salary isn't an issue at that level, So might as well take a chance and see if they develop into something special or something more profitable to sell.

183 posts