McDermott targets automatic promotion

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

McDermott targets automatic promotion

by readingbedding » 31 Dec 2010 10:34

From The Chronic.

And he wants to bring Swindon Town star to Madejski Stadium

BRIAN McDermott this week delivered a New Year’s message every Reading fan wanted to hear - we’re going for automatic promotion.

Royals slipped down to 14th in the Championship table after drawing five games in a row. But back-to-back victories against Derby County and Bristol City followed by a 1-1 draw at Hull City on Tuesday have propelled McDermott’s men into the play-offs at the midway point of the season.

Royals are now a mere six points adrift of second-placed Cardiff City, who lost 4-1 at Watford, in what is surely one of the most open divisions for years.

And, with the possibility of investment in January - with Hungerford-born Swindon Town hotshot Charlie Austin, 21, their main target according to Chronicle sources - McDermott is convinced the fight to finish runners-up behind title favourites QPR is wide open.

“After 23 games we’re sixth in the league,” he declared. “Listen, I think there is going to be a twist in the league this season.

“QPR look like they’re going to do and it looks like they’ve got the personnel. But you look at Cardiff losing on Tuesday, and you look that other automatic place, the teams in the play-off positions are so close behind.”

Reading are unbeaten in eight games and they will close the gap on Brendan Rodgers’ third-placed Swansea City to just three points if they can win at Liberty Stadium on New Year’s Day (3pm ko).

“We wanted to go to Swansea with the chance of going above them,” stated McDermott, whose side were beaten 1-0 at home by the Swans in October. “But they beat Barnsley on Tuesday so we have to go there and try to get closer to them. They also beat us at home but we will look forward to going across there.”

Simon Church snatched a point for Royals at Hull to keep their unbeaten run going. After the trip to Swansea they host Burnley at Madejski Stadium on Monday (3pm), ending a spell of four games in nine days over the Christmas period which McDermott dubbed “crazy.”

“All I can do is focus completely on Swansea and then Burnley,” he said. “These boys are strong and fit and they can play four games, there’s no doubt about that.

“ I’m excited about next year because our lads are in a good place. This is an emerging team but they can go to a difficult place like Hull and know what’s required to get a result.

“I wasn’t happy with our first half performance. I said at half time that we couldn’t keep playing like that. Our fans travelled how many miles and we had to put on a second-half performance. We did that and, at 1-1, I thought we would win it.”

Well alriiiiiiiiight!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: McDermott targets automatic promotion

by PEARCEY » 31 Dec 2010 10:45

He's right. Second place is up for grabs although we do need to avoid defeat tomorrow.
If we did sign Austin would that mean Long is definitely going or are we going to have the "luxury" of four strikers assuming Mooney remains on loan?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 31 Dec 2010 10:50

Tomorrow is a Must Win!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 31 Dec 2010 10:51

I really do think this Austin rumour has a bit of substance to it now.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 31 Dec 2010 11:00

Would love Austin here, bit more competition for the places then!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 Dec 2010 11:19

Big Foot I really do think this Austin rumour has a bit of substance to it now.

What, because the Chronic read the rumour in the tabs and put it in their story? Nothing McDermott says remotely suggests we're after Austin.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 31 Dec 2010 11:20

That's because McDermott keeps everything Hush, we didn't hear anything about Leigertwood!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 Dec 2010 11:25

leww_rfc That's because McDermott keeps everything Hush, we didn't hear anything about Leigertwood!

True, and he hasn't said anything about signing Rooney either :o

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 31 Dec 2010 11:26

RobRoyal
Big Foot I really do think this Austin rumour has a bit of substance to it now.

What, because the Chronic read the rumour in the tabs and put it in their story? Nothing McDermott says remotely suggests we're after Austin.

Pretty much, Sherlock.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 31 Dec 2010 11:27

xactly' the whole Messi medical thing happens in the morning 8)

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 Dec 2010 11:37

I love how contrasting McDermott is to Coppell. Coppell never looked at the table and took each result one by one. McDermott on the other hand (the better one) looks at where we are and tries to push higher and higher.

I WILL have a crisis if we sign Austin.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Dec 2010 11:50

leww_rfc Tomorrow is a Must Win!

I wouldn't go that far but it is a crucial game

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 Dec 2010 12:08

Just messing with the predictor and discovered that it is possible that we could be anywhere between 3rd and 15th by Monday night. :shock:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Dec 2010 12:33

I think this thread title will look pretty daft come tomorrow night.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Dec 2010 12:34

Yes because one result tomorrow will make that target impossible.

John Peel

by John Peel » 31 Dec 2010 13:53

Tony Le Mesmer I think this thread title will look pretty daft come tomorrow night.

Stranger things have happened but on balance +1!

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 31 Dec 2010 16:23

Tony Le Mesmer I think this thread title will look pretty daft come tomorrow night.

Why? Threre are two ways of looking at that:

1) That we will be so far out of the running for automatic promotion after tomorrow that it will be next to impossible (now that's not really likely is it?)
2) After beating Swabsea we will have stamped our authority so hard that we will have virtually sewn up promotion (that's not likely either, is it?)

The only thing I can take from your post is that it was (and I quote) a 'pretty daft' thing to write.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Dec 2010 19:40

Even a pessimist like me cannot argue that we're in a very strong position going into 2011 despite some less than convincing performances at times this season, but it is hard not to be cynical about RFC in recent years. We're assumed that the Gylfi money has put us on a secure footing financially, but is anyone naive enough to think that we won't bite the hands off clubs who offer us good money for the likes of Kebe and, erm, Long :shock: ? Equally, do we really expect much investment in the team at a time where pushing the boat out a little could make all the difference?

Still, we're not likely to be going down now. So happy new year to you all 8)

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 31 Dec 2010 19:52

I personally love the way RFC conducts its incoming transfers.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Dec 2010 19:54

Hampshire Royal

Why? Threre are two ways of looking at that:

1) That we will be so far out of the running for automatic promotion after tomorrow that it will be next to impossible (now that's not really likely is it?)
2) After beating Swabsea we will have stamped our authority so hard that we will have virtually sewn up promotion (that's not likely either, is it?)

The only thing I can take from your post is that it was (and I quote) a 'pretty daft' thing to write.

2 wins in 9 games.
Totally outplayed by Swansea at home.
We scrape into the top 6 when we are basically all in a heap in the middle of the table.
We were 14th less than 2 weeks ago.
And now were talking automatic promotion.
:roll: